BTech Electronics Engineering deals with the designing, assembling, functioning and repair of various electronic devices, and their integral parts like diodes, transistors, etc. It is a four year long course, divided into eight semesters.
Admission to BTech Electronics Engineering is granted on the basis of Entrance Exam Ranks, followed by a strict counselling and seat allocation process. JEE Mains and Advanced are the major national level entrance exams for this course. Some of the top colleges offering BTech Electronics Engineering Course are tabulated below.
BTech Electronics Engineering Top Colleges with Fees
|College Name and Location||Average Annual Fees|
|IIT BHU, Varanasi||INR 84,981|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||INR 2,69,445|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai||INR 82,350|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune||INR 1,20,000|
|IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||INR 80,750|
The average annual fees for studying BTech Electronics Engineering ranges between INR 80,000 to 2,50,000. Most IITs and NITs charge yearly fees in the range of INR 70,000 to 1,00,000 for this course.
After BTech Electronics Engineering, the candidates have multiple employment opportunities. The candidates can work as Embedded Systems Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer, System Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, among others. They can also be offered software related jobs.
The average annual salary offered to BTech Electronics Engineering candidates at the starting level ranges between INR 3,50,000 to 6,00,000. However, with experience, it usually rises to INR 7,00,000 to 10,00,000.
After completing BTech Electronics Engineering, if the candidates wish to study further, they can join MTech course in Electronics Engineering. Candidates willing to get job in higher positions can do MBA courses in multiple disciplines.
|Note: Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the eligibility criteria of JEE Mains and Advanced were relaxed for the current session. The candidates need not have to score 75% marks, and candidates who passed in all the subjects in 10+2, along with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects, were allowed to appear in the exam.|
BTech Electronics Engineering Admission Process
The general admission procedure for BTech Electronics Engineering is discussed in a step wise manner below.
Step 1: Application for Entrance Exam: The exam conducting authorities release the entrance exam forms in their official websites mostly in the month of December - January. However, forms for JEE Mains are released in the month of September. The candidates will have to apply for the entrance exam through these forms.
Step 2: Entrance Exam: The admit cards and time slots (in case of online exams) are released 10-20 days prior to the date of examination. The candidates need to appear for the entrance exam on their allocated date and time slot.
Step 3: Entrance Exam Results and Qualification Marks: The Results of the entrance exams are usually released within 20-40 days of conducting the entrance exam. Along with the individual scores and ranks, the examining authorities also declare the minimum marks required for qualifying the examination.
Step 4: Registration for Online Seat Allocation (E- Counselling): After the results of the entrance exams are declared, the candidates who have qualified the entrance exam will get the chance to register themselves for the E-counselling process. Registration is compulsory for a candidate to participate in online seat allocation.
Step 5: Choice Filling and Locking: Depending on the rank and eligibility of the candidates, the number of colleges and streams available to them will be shown to each registered candidate. The candidates will need to fill and lock their choices in their order of preference.
Step 6: Online Seat Allocation: From the choices the candidates will lock, the computer system will allocate one seat to the candidate, on the basis of his rank. The candidates who will get seats will be informed about the same through an allotment letter, which can be downloaded online. Before downloading, the candidates will have to accept the seat by paying seat acceptance fee.
Step 7: Document Verification: The candidates getting seats will need to physically go to the allotted reporting center with all the relevant documents for document verification.
Step 8: Enrollment: The candidates found eligible during document verification will be granted admission to the course.
The candidates need to present the following documents during the document verification process of BTech Electronics Engineering.
- Score Card and Merit Rank Card of Entrance Exam
- Seat Allotment Letter
- Entrance Exam Admit Card
- Photo ID Card (any one of Voter Card, Aadhar Card, Pan Card, or any other government ID proof)
- Class 12 Marksheet and Pass Certificate
- Class 10 Marksheet and Pass Certificate
- Domicile Certificate, Caste Certificate and Income Certificate according to prescribed format (if applicable)
- Medical Certificate
Check BITSAT 2021 Exam Dates
BTech Electronics Engineering Eligibility Criteria
The actual eligibility criteria for Admission to BTech Electronics Engineering varies from college to college. However, the general eligibility criteria followed by most colleges, including the reputed government colleges, for admission to BTech Electronics Engineering is discussed below.
- The candidates must complete 10+2 with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and English as compulsory subjects. They should study at least 5 subjects in the 10+2 level.
- The minimum marks required at 10+2 varies according to college and entrance exam. But, the lowest minimum marks required is minimum 50% in PCM.
- For admission through JEE Mains, the candidates must score above 75% aggregate marks at class 12 board exam. So, the colleges granting admission to BTech Electronics Engineering through JEE Mains set the minimum marks criteria to 75%.
- The candidates must be above 17 years of age and should be medically fit.
- The candidates will get only three consecutive years for attempting JEE Mains, and two consecutive years for attempting JEE Advanced.
Check: KEAM Registration
BTech Electronics Engineering Entrance Exams
There are many National Level, State Level and College Level Entrance Exams for admission to BTech Electronics Engineering Course. Some of the major exams are discussed below:
JEE Mains: Joint Entrance Examination Mains is the largest national engineering entrance exam in India. More than 10,00,000 students appear in this exam every year, but only around 3,00,000 candidates can qualify the exam. The exam is conducted by the National Testing Agency (NTA) twice a year, in January and April. Along with providing the gateway for admission to NITs and IIITs, this exam also acts as a screening exam for JEE Advanced.
JEE Advanced: JEE Advanced is conducted by one of the major IITs every year. It is the gateway for admission to all the IITs and other premier engineering colleges in India. Only the candidates who qualify in JEE Mains can appear for JEE Advanced in that particular year.
MHTCET: This Entrance Exam is followed by all the Engineering colleges situated in the Maharashtra state. Some of the major colleges offering admission to BTech Electronics Engineering through this entrance exam include VJTI, Vishwakarma Institute of Technology, among others.
AMUEEE: AMUEEE is conducted by Aligarh Muslim University for admission to Engineering courses offered by the University. It is an offline examination and includes topics taught in PCM at 10+2 level.
BVP CET: The Bharati Vidyapeeth CET exam is used for admission to Undergraduate technical courses offered by the Bharati Vidyapeeth University.
Some of the important dates related to BTech Electronics Engineering Entrance Exams are tabulated below.
|Entrance Exam||Conducted By||Mode of Exam||Last Date to Apply||Exam Date|
|JEE Mains||NTA||CBT||January 16, 2021||February 23-26, 2021 (Phase 1)|
|JEE Advanced||IIT Kharagpur (for 2021)||CBT||Within 7-10 days of release of forms||July 03, 2021|
|MHTCET||Maharashtra State Common Entrance Cell||CBT||March 2021||May 2021|
|AMUEEE||AMU||Offline||October 09, 2020||December 01, 2020|
BTech Electronics Engineering Entrance Exams Preparation Tips?
The BTech Electronics Engineering Entrance Exams cover PCM topics from 10+2 Syllabus. Some of the most important topics from which questions are often asked in these exams are listed below.
Some of the important points that the candidates must keep in mind to perform better in BTech Electronics Engineering entrance exams are listed below.
- The candidates will have to solve one question in maximum 2 minutes. So, they should practice solving questions rapidly.
- They should solve as many tricky questions as possible. Most of the questions asked in these exams involve tricky solutions.
- The candidates should properly cover NCERT textbooks of 10+2 PCM. They should go through the theory of these books and practice numericals multiple times.
- They should master the art of fast and accurate calculations. Candidates will not be able to carry calculators inside the exam hall.
- Try to focus on previous 10 years question papers, and practice them in a time bound manner.
Make sure that you cover every chapter of the 10+2 syllabus, so that you can attempt as many questions as possible.
BTech Electronics Engineering Admission Tips for Top Colleges
As BTech Electronics Engineering is one of the popular streams of Engineering, the candidates will have to work hard to get admission in top colleges offering this course. Some of the important points which may be helpful are listed below.
- The candidates will have to score above 250 in JEE Mains to get admission in a good college offering BTech Electronics Engineering. For Top colleges, the marks required is even higher.
- They should be very careful while attempting the questions in the entrance exam. They should mark an answer only after becoming 100 percent sure, as these exams carry negative marks.
- The candidates should be careful while Choice-locking procedure of the E-counselling. They should properly research which colleges they can get in their rank, and should place those colleges on top. Locking wrong colleges may prove to be fatal.
- The candidates should carry and show all the relevant documents during the document verification process.
- The candidates should apply for government certificates like Caste Certificate, Income Certificate, Domicile Certificate, etc (if required) well in advance. These certificates take time to get published, and hence might result in a last minute hustle.
- The candidates should keep the fees required for admission ready with them. They might be asked to pay the fees within short notice, and may have to pay either through DD or online payment platforms.
BTech Electronics Engineering: What is it About?
BTech Electronics Engineering not only deals with the structure, design and function of Electronic devices, but it also covers many important electronic systems in detail.
- This course covers both Analog and Digital Electronic devices along with their construction, design, functionality and efficiency conditions.
- Along with these basic electronic devices, this course will also elaborately cover some important electronic systems like communication systems, embedded systems, and computer systems.
- The communication systems, in particular, will be dealt with in complete detail. The design of communication systems, signal processing, efficiency and security are sometimes dealt as proper subjects.
- Through this course, the candidates will be able to learn VLSI designs for ASICs, test input and output conditions and efficiency, and fabricate and assemble hardware systems.
- The candidates will also get an opportunity to learn about sensors, processors, diodes, transistors, simulators, and many such important devices and systems.
- As additional subjects, this course will also enlighten the candidates on some basic management subjects like Resource Management and Organisational Economics.
- Overall, this course will ensure that the candidates not only learn to build electronic gadgets and systems, but they will also be able to meet the latest trends by analysing the markets, deliver the expected quality and manage their business and products.
BTech Electronics Engineering: Course Highlights
The major highlights of the BTech Electronics Engineering Course are tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Electronics Engineering|
|Level of Study||Undergraduate|
|Course Duration||4 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 75% aggregate in PCM and English|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 80,000 to 2,50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,50,000 to 6,00,000|
|Job Options||Embedded Systems Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer, System Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, among others|
|Areas of Employment||Electronics Industry, Communication Industry, Software Industry, etc.|
BTech Electronics Engineering: Course Advantages
You should consider studying BTech Electronics Engineering because it offers you the following advantages.
In-Demand Course: The BTech Electronics Engineering Course is one of the most popular undergraduate courses. The candidates completing this course easily get employed as this course has high demand in the job market.
Employment Opportunities to Increase in Future: With the increasing pace of digitisation, the world is now becoming more and more dependent on electronic devices. Therefore, the employment opportunities of Electronics Engineers is increasing at a rapid rate, and is expected to grow even faster in future.
Opportunities to Work in Multiple Fields: BTech Electronics Engineering graduates not only get jobs in Electronics sector, but they also get job opportunities in many other sectors like communication sector, Hardware and Software industries, and many more.
Opportunities to Learn Important Skills: This course will offer you multiple opportunities to learn important skills like Designing an Electronic Device, Assembling the Processor Units, Designing the Hardware Systems and assembling them, and many others.
High Salary Package: Candidates completing BTech Electronics Engineering Course are offered very high salary packages. The starting salary varies a lot according to the skills of the candidates, but deserving candidates are offered upto INR 12,00,000 as starting packages.
Working in Reputed MNCs Abroad: These candidates may get jobs in reputed MNCs like Google, Microsoft and other such companies. They also get opportunities to work and settle abroad.
BTech Electronics Engineering vs BTech Electronics and Communication Engineering
BTech Electronics Engineering has been compared with BTech ECE on various aspects like Top Colleges, Fees, Salary, etc in the table given below.
|Parameters||BTech Electronics Engineering||BTech ECE|
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Electronics Engineering||Bachelor of Technology in Electronics and Communication Engineering|
|Overview||BTech Electronics Engineering covers electronics topics like Analog Devices, Digital Devices, Embedded Systems, Communication Systems, Hardware Systems, and many others. It focuses on all the systems with equal importance.||BTech Electronics and Communication Engineering focuses equally on both Electronic devices and Communication Systems. It involves topics like Electronic Devices - both Analog and Digital, Communication Signals, VLSI and Designs, and other related topics.|
|Duration||4 Years||4 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 75% aggregate in PCM and English||10+2 with minimum 75% aggregate in PCM and English|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based||Entrance Based|
|Top Colleges||IIT BHU, AMU, VJTI, among others||IIT Delhi, IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, among others|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 80,000 to 2,50,000||INR 80,000 to 2,50,000|
|Job Profiles||Embedded Systems Engineer, Quality Assurance Engineer, System Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, among others||Network Engineer, Hardware Engineer, CAD Engineer, Software Engineer, System Engineer, Technical Support Engineer, among others|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000 to 6,00,000||INR 4,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Areas of Employment||Electronics Industry, Communication Industry, Software Industry, etc.||Electronics Industry, Communication Industry, Software Industry, etc.|
BTech Electronics Engineering Top Colleges: Admission Process, Fees, Salary 2021
|College Name and Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|IIT BHU, Varanasi||JEE Advanced||INR 84,981||INR 8,19,000|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||AMUEEE||INR 2,69,445||INR 4,50,000|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai||MHT CET||INR 82,350||INR 6,80,000|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth Deemed University, Pune||BVP CET||INR 1,20,000||INR 5,10,000|
|IK Gujral Punjab Technical University, Jalandhar||JEE Mains||INR 80,750||INR 2,80,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi Institute of Petroleum Technology, Amethi - Rae Bareli||JEE Advanced||INR 2,50,000||INR 9,00,000|
|GH Raisoni College of Engineering, Nagpur||JEE Mains||INR 1,65,700||INR 4,50,000|
|Walchand College of Engineering, Sangli||JEE Mains||INR 84,935||INR 5,07,000|
|KJ Somaiya College of Engineering, Mumbai||JEE Mains||INR 2,86,000||INR 5,50,000|
|Dr. BR Ambedkar Institute of Technology, Port Blair||Entrance Based||INR 12,083||INR 3,50,000|
BTech Electronics Engineering: College Comparison
|Overview||IIT BHU is the only IIT in India which is situated inside a deemed university campus (BHU campus). It was started as a university college of Engineering by BHU, and was later turned into an IIT. It currently offers Engineering courses in 10 disciplines, along with PCM and Humanities courses.||Aligarh Muslim University is a central minority seemed university established in 1920. It offers UG, PG and PhD courses in multiple disciplines including Engineering, Medical, Nursing, Unani, Management, Basic Science and many other streams. It is one of the top 50 Universities in India.||Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute is a state owned Engineering College in Mumbai. It is one of the oldest Engineering colleges in Asia, and was founded in 1887. It is known for its excellent research and technical training ecosystems. Currently, it offers Diploma, UG and PG Engineering courses.|
|NIRF Engineering Ranking 2020||11||39||71|
|Location||Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh||Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh||Mumbai, Maharashtra|
|Admission Process||Through JEE Advanced||Through AMUEEE||Through MHT CET|
|Eligibility Criteria||Minimum 75% aggregate in PCM and English in 10+2 exam||Minimum 50% aggregate in PCM and English in 10+2 exam.||50% in PCM and English at 10+2|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 84,981||INR 2,69,445||INR 82,350|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,19,000||INR 4,50,000||INR 6,80,000|
|Top Recruiters||Adobe, Cognizant, DRDO, Google, HCL, etc.||Voltas, L&T, Cummins India, Saint Gobain, Bajaj, etc.||Amazon, Samsung, Godrej, L&T, Blue Star, etc.|
BTech Electronics Engineering Syllabus
The semester wise breakup of the subjects taught in BTech Electronics Engineering is tabulated below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Engineering Mathematics I||Basic Mechanical Systems|
|Engineering Physics||Engineering Drawing|
|Engineering Chemistry||Basic Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Electro-Techniques||Engineering Mathematics II|
|Basic Electronics Engineering||English and Communication Skills|
|Fundamentals of Computer and Programming||Workshop Practices|
|Engineering Mechanics||Basic Electronics Engineering|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Engineering Mathematics III||Statistical Signal Analysis|
|Electronic Circuits||Principles of Communication Systems|
|Digital Logic Design||Microprocessors and Microcontrollers|
|Signals and Systems||Linear IC Applications|
|Network Analysis and Synthesis||Control Systems|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Digital Communications||Data Communications and Networks|
|Digital Signal Processing||Digital Integrated Circuits|
|Analog Integrated Circuits||Embedded Systems|
|Electromagnetic Waves and Radiating Systems||Fibre Optics Communications|
|Elective Subject I||Elective Subject II|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|VLSI Design||RF and Microwave Engineering|
|Mobile Communication||Electronics System Design|
|Electronics Instrumentation||Industrial Management|
BTech Electronics Engineering Electives
The major electives offered to BTech Electronics Engineering students are tabulated below.
|Neural Networks and Applications||Nanotechnology|
|Sensors and Transducers||Multimedia Communication Technology|
|VLSI Technology||Image Processing and Computer Vision|
|Statistical Signal Analysis||Process Instrumentation|
|Laser Technology||Audio-Video Engineering Applications|
BTech Electronics Engineering Important Books
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Electronic and Radio Engineering||Frederick Emmons Terman|
|Digital Electronics||Tertulien Ndjountche|
|Microelectronic Circuits||Adel S. Sedra, Kenneth C. Smith|
|Transistor Circuit Techniques||Gordon J. Ritchie|
|Digital Signal Processing||Lizhe Tan, Jean Jiang|
BTech Electronics Engineering Jobs, Salary
BTech Electronics Engineering candidates get jobs in Electronics, Communication, IT, Software and many other engineering sectors. The following Job Opportunities are available to BTech Electronics Engineering candidates.
|Job Profiles||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Embedded Systems Engineer||Embedded Systems Engineers design, assemble, and supervise the embedded systems and the connected circuits.||INR 3,50,000|
|Quality Assurance Engineer||Quality Assurance Engineers check the quality of the electronic products and give advice to maintain the required quantity.||INR 3,81,400|
|System Engineer||System Engineers take care of the computer and IT systems in an organisation. They work for their functioning, maintenance and repair.||INR 3,83,400|
|Technical Support Engineer||Technical Support Engineer work to provide emergency repair and assistance support for all the technical systems in an organisation.||INR 3,30,000|
|Network Engineer||Network Engineers design, build and maintain the various technical networks.||INR 3,22,500|
|Hardware Engineer||Hardware Engineers build, assemble and repair the computer and electronic hardwares.||INR 4,00,000|
|CAD Engineer||Computer Aided Design Engineer, also known as CAD Engineers design the various products using CAD.||INR 3,10,000|
|Product Engineer||Product Engineers decide, design, and produce new electronic products and improve the quality of the existing products according to the market trends.||INR 6,00,000|
BTech Electronics Engineering Future Scope
After completing BTech Electronics Engineering, the candidates will have the following higher studies and future scope options available.
- The students can choose to do MTech Electronics Engineering if they are interested in a research oriented career. This course will help them in gaining sufficient experience in technical research in the Electronics field.
- For admission to MTech courses, the candidates will have to appear in the GATE exam. The GATE score will also help them to secure jobs in many public sector companies.
- The students who want to do higher studies to improve their career prospects, should choose MBA courses. Many MBA streams like MBA Industrial Management, MBA Resource Management, MBA Operations Management, and many others are very popular among BTech Electronics Engineering graduates.
- These Management courses will help them easily get jobs in reputed positions in any Electronics and Communication sector company.
- The candidates can also go for government jobs in Banks, Railways, and other PSUs. They can also appear in UPSC, IES and other civil service examinations.
BTech Electronics Engineering: FAQs
Some of the frequently asked questions on BTech Electronics Engineering are discussed below.
Ques. Which Top IIT offers a BTech course in Electronics Engineering?
Ques. Should I choose ECE over Electronics Engineering?
Ques. What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to BTech Electronics Engineering in VJTI Mumbai?
Ques. What is the average fees charged by government colleges for BTech Electronics Engineering Course?
Ques. What is the average fees charged by private colleges for BTech Electronics Engineering Course?
Ques. Can I get Software Engineering jobs after completing BTech Electronics Engineering Course?
Ques. Should I do an MTech or an MBA after BTech Electronics Engineering?
Ques. What is the average placement salary offered to a BTech Electronics Engineering in India?
Ques. Which is the best Private Engineering college for studying BTech Electronics Engineering in India?