Bachelor of Technology-BTech Engineering Design is a 4-year long undergraduate course in engineering. It emphasizes the engineering design of machine components, computer-aided drafting and modeling, mechanical engineering systems, computer-aided simulation & analysis, and finite element analysis.
Candidates who have completed 10+2 from the Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics compulsorily from a recognized board with a minimum of 60% in aggregate can apply for this course.
Admissions to the course are either merit or entrance based. Accepted entrance exams are JEE mains, BITSAT, COMEDK, UPSEE, SRMJEE, VITEEE, and more.
The top colleges for BTech Engineering Design are NIDs, Pearl Academy, NIFTs, Symbiosis Institute of Design etc. The average annual fee for the course is INR 200,000.
The course helps enrolled candidates to apply their design concepts creatively in real-world engineering demand. The students study about mechanical engineering design, mechatronics, computational fluid dynamics, finite element analysis, internal combustion engines, thermal engineering, etc.
Graduates from this course basically can work for thermal power, gas turbines, agricultural sector, air conditioning and refrigeration, etc. Some job roles offered to graduates are automotive design engineer, Production Engineer at Automobile Plants, Automotive Ancillary Development Engineer, etc.
The top recruiting companies for BTech Engineering design course are Ashok Leyland, JK Tyres, Mahindra, ITC, Caterpillar, with an average salary of INR 1,20,000 - 6,00,000 PA.
BTech Engineering Design: Course Highlights
|Duration||4 years (5 years for dual degree)|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 or equivalent from a recognized board/ university|
|Admission Process||National-level or College-level Entrance test followed by counseling or direct admission in some colleges|
|Entrance Tests||JEE Main, BITSAT, COMEDK, VITEEE, SRMJEEE, UPSEE, etc.|
|Average Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 4,00,00 PA|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1,20,000 - 6,00,000 PA|
|Top Recruiters||Philips, Titan, Siemens, Ashok Leyland, JK Tyres, Mahindra, ITC, Caterpillar, etc.|
|Job Positions||Production Engineer at Automobile Plants, Automotive Design Engineer, Automotive Ancillary Development Engineer, Maintenance Engineer at Automobile Dealerships, Production Planning & Control Engineer, Vendor Development Engineer, etc.|
BTech Engineering Design: Admission Process
Admissions are granted in either of these 2 ways:
Admission is offered on the basis of Board Merit / JEE Mains Score (for up to 20% of Seats)/ direct admission, for which applicants must have scored a minimum of 80% in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics at the higher secondary level (class 12th).
Entrance Based Admissions
- Admission is offered on the basis of performance in the relevant entrance examination (up to 80% of seats), for which applicants need to have scored a minimum of 60% in aggregate in Physics, Chemistry & Mathematics at the higher secondary level.
- JEE Mains cut-off is announced after the declaration of the JEE Mains result of a particular year.
BTech Engineering Design: Eligibility Criteria
- Candidates must have passed classes 10th and 12th from a recognized educational Board with a minimum aggregate score of 60% at both levels with Physics, Chemistry, and Maths as main subjects.
- Candidates must have qualified for the entrance test too if applicable to the desired institute.
BTech Engineering Design: Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams through which admission to BTech in Engineering Design is offered in India are:
- JEE Main: Conducting body is NTA (National Testing Agency). The exam is a Computer-based Test.
- BITSAT: Conducting body is Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani Rajasthan. The exam is a Computer-based Test.
- COMEDK:Conducting body is the Consortium of Medical Engineering and Dental Colleges of Karnataka, Karnataka. The exam is a state level exam and is a Computer-based test.
- VITEEE:Conducting body is Vishveshwarya Institute of Technology, Vellore. The exam is a Computer-based Test.
- SRMJEEE: Conducting Body is SRM University, Chennai. The exam is a Computer-based Test.
- UPSEE: Conducting Body is APJ Abdul Kalam University, Lucknow. The exam is a Computer-based Test.
- A detailed description of the entrance exams are:
|Exam Name||Registration Dates||Exam Date|
|JEE Main||December 16, 2020, to January 23, 2021||Session 1: February 23 - 26, 2021 Session 2: March 15 -18, 2021 Session 3: April 27 - 30, 2021 Session 4: May 24 - 28, 2021|
|UPSEE||February 2021||1st week of April 2021|
|SRMJEEE||December 13, 2020||1st or 2nd Week of April 2021|
|COMEDK||February 2021||Jun 20, 2021|
|BITSAT||February 2021||Sep 16 - 23, 2020|
|VITEEE||30 Nov - 30 Mar, 2021||Jun 18 - 26, 2021|
BTech Engineering Design: How to prepare for entrance exams?
Preparing for an engineering entrance exam is not a cakewalk; rigorous practice is required. Mainly, the candidate should have a good background or knowledge in Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics and also some regarding B.Tech. in Engineering Design, so that the entrance exam may seem familiar to you.
- First of all, seek guidance from those who are in the same field.
- Identify the pattern of the exam so that questions can be solved easily.
- Arrange the best study material from the internet or by yourself so that you gather enough knowledge.
- Make your basics very clear so that your fundamentals get brushed up and you can solve some tough questions.
- Practice more so that you can easily solve numerical-based questions in each subject because they help to earn a lot of marks.
- Keep the previously asked questions in concern.
BTech Engineering Design: How to Get Admission to a Good College?
- Admissions to B.Tech. Engineering Design courses are offered through some national level entrance exams like AICET, JEE, COMEDK and others.
- Thus, if the candidate wants to get admission into the B.Sc. in Airlines, Tourism and Hospitality Management course, he/she must have a good preparation for entrance exams or can financially support to get a direct admission quota seat.
- Some of the colleges also offer merit-based admissions so you should score well in your 10th and 12th boards to get admissions.
- Also, make sure that you have applied for the exam before the deadline.
BTech Engineering Design: What is It About?
BTech Engineering Design is taught as a discipline-specific team project. Graduates are taught to learn and apply professional engineering design concepts and issues including safety, sustainability, estimation, decision making, materials selection, project management, communication (graphics, written, oral), information literacy, ethics, and prototyping (building).
This course broadly provides a brief introduction to engineering as a profession.
Why study Engineering Design?
If an aspirant is interested in all types of engineering tasks and enjoys teamwork, project work, and is interested to work closely with the industry, this is the course for them. By studying Engineering Design candidate will benefit from:
- Studying one of the most unique and highly ranked General Engineering courses will help them gain exceptional career prospects.
- Engineering Design is a degree course that develops cross-cutting design, teamwork, analysis, and leadership skills and provides the freedom to specialize in your individual interests.
- Engineering Design involves innovative design teaching and the chance to work upon real-world design projects in partnership with the industry.
- The Engineering Design course provides a broad understanding of the environmental, social, and economic issues surrounding large-scale engineering projects and how the engineers can promote sustainable development.
- Engineering Design course provides opportunities for industrial visits, year placements, summer placements, and mentoring with industrial partners, and connecting you with a range of potential employers in the industry.
- Engineering Design course provides access to research spaces and state-of-the-art teaching across the Engineering, including workshops, design studios, computer labs, and test facilities.
- Engineering Design courses provide opportunities for professional recognition through a range of Engineering Institutions that are highly ranked.
BTech Engineering Design: Top Colleges
|Name of The College||Location||Average Annual Fee|
|National Institute of Design (NID)||Ahmedabad||INR 2,20,000 PA|
|Pearl Academy||New Delhi||INR 3,25,000 PA|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Mumbai||INR 2,15,000 PA|
|Industrial Design center (IDC)||Mumbai||INR 2,15, 000 PA|
|Symbiosis Institute of Design||Pune||INR 2,73,000 PA|
|PDM University||Haryana||INR 50, 550 PA|
|Arch Academy of design||Jaipur||INR 1,30,000 PA|
|NID||Hyderabad||INR 1, 85,000 PA|
BTech Engineering Design: College Comparison
|Parameters||National Institute of Design (NID)||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)||Industrial Design center (IDC)|
|Overview||National Institute of Design (NID) is a UGC affiliated offering many UG, and PG level courses.||National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT) is one of the best colleges in India offering a wide range of undergraduate, postgraduate, and doctoral programs in different schemes.||Industrial Design center (IDC) is one of the best educational institutes in India which offers courses at the UG, PG, and doctoral levels within different streams of designing.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,20,000||INR 2,15,000||INR 2,15,000|
|Average Package||INR 3 LPA||INR 4 LPA||INR 4 LPA|
BTech Engineering Design V/s BTech Mechanical Engineering: Which is Better?
|Parameters||BTech Engineering Design||BTech Mechanical Engineering|
|Objective||BTech Engineering Design is intended to inculcate in the students- theoretical knowledge, as well as a substantial practical matter as students, related to the design of machine components, computer-aided drafting, and modeling, mechanical engineering systems, computer-aided simulation & analysis, etc. Students become industry-ready.||BTech Mechanical Engineering course provides in-depth theoretical and practical knowledge of machines and their working. Students can opt for further studies.|
|Qualification||10+2 from Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects||10+2 from Science with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects|
|Eligibility||10+2 from Science stream with PCM and 50% aggregate||10+2 from Science stream with PCM and 50% aggregate|
|Duration||4 Years||4 Years|
|Average Fees||Around INR 50,000 (government colleges) and up to INR 4 lakhs PA (private colleges)||INR 2-8 lakhs|
|Top Colleges||National Institute of Design, National Institute of Fashion Technology, Pearl Academy, Symbiosis Institute of Design, Industrial Design Centre, PDM University, etc.||IIT Bombay, IIT Madras, IIT Kanpur, IIT Delhi, IIT Kharagpur, etc.|
|Placement Package||INR 1.2 to 6 LPA||INR 6 to 10 LPA|
BTech Engineering Design: Course Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics I||Mathematics II|
|Design Thinking||Environmental Studies|
|Physics I||Physics II|
|English Communication||Workshop Technology|
|Basic Electrical and Electronics||Chemistry|
|Engineering Graphics||Engineering Mechanics|
|Physics Lab I||Physics Lab - II|
|Computer Programming Lab||Chemistry Lab|
|Electrical and Electronics Lab||Engineering Workshop Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Mathematics III||Mechanics of Materials|
|Automotive Electrical & Electronic Systems||Material Science|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||IC Engines|
|Applied Fluid Mechanics||Open Elective II|
|Open Elective I||Kinematics & Dynamics of Machines|
|Components of Automotive Chassis||Metrology & Manufacturing Technology|
|Fluid Mechanics Lab||Manufacturing & Metrology Lab|
|Engineering Graphics Lab II||Material science and Material Testing lab|
|Automotive Chassis Component Lab||Engine Testing & Emission Measurement Lab|
|Automotive Electrical & Electronic Lab||Theory of Machines lab|
|-||Material science and Material Testing lab|
|-||Manufacturing & Metrology Lab|
|-||Engine Testing & Emission Measurement Lab|
|-||Theory of Machines lab|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Vehicle Dynamics||Automotive Chassis Components Design|
|Microprocessor Based Control System||Applied Numerical Techniques|
|Design of Machine Elements||Heat Transfer|
|Open Elective III||Vehicle Infotronics|
|Program Elective I||Industrial Engineering and Management|
|Automotive Transmission Systems||Practical|
|CAD Appl. in Automotive Engine Design||Minor Project-II|
|Engine Troubleshooting & Servicing Lab||PE-II|
|Mechatronics and control system lab||Tribology|
|Practical||Transportation Design and Development|
|Minor Project-I||Automotive HVAC|
|PE-I||CAD Appl. for Chassis Components Design|
|Ergonomics & Styling||Industrial Visit|
|TQM||Heat Transfer Lab|
|Fuels and Combustion||-|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Two & Three Wheelers Technology||CAD/CAM|
|Automotive Engine Component Design||Vehicle Body Engineering|
|Program Elective III||Practical|
|Program Elective - III||CAM and Automation lab|
|Design and Analysis using Software (CAE)||Major Project II|
|Design and Analysis using Software (CAE)||Program Elective- IV|
|Summer Internship Comprehensive Viva||Operations Research|
|Practical||Finite Element method|
|Major Project-I||Economics & life cycle concepts|
|PE-III||Metal Forming - Principles & Design|
|Advanced microcontroller for Auto systems||Computational Fluid Dynamics|
|Modeling and Simulation||Program Elective- V|
|Facilities Planning & Material handling||Rapid Prototyping and Tooling|
|-||Auto Certification & Homologation|
BTech in Engineering Design: Job Profiles
Successful graduates of the Engineering Design course are nicely placed in industries such as gas turbines, thermal power, air conditioning and refrigeration, agricultural sector, oil and gas exploration and refining, educational sector, shipping, aviation companies, aerospace industry, pharmaceutical, armed forces, automobile, and many others.
Various job positions on offer for successful graduates of BTech in Engineering Design are listed below. Also, the corresponding job descriptions and salaries offered for each role are mentioned below.
|Job Roles||Job Description||Average Package|
|Production Engineer at Automobile Plants||These people are responsible for manufacturing and overseeing the production of goods in many industries at factories or plants.||INR 5,80,239 PA|
|Automotive Design Engineer||These people are responsible for vehicle design, manufacture, development, and testing.||INR 6,16,636 PA|
|Automotive Ancillary Development Engineer||These people are responsible for working in relation to products and processes.||INR 1,79,550 PA|
|Maintenance Engineer at Automobile Dealerships||These people are responsible for checking the mileage of the vehicle and its records and completing the work specified in the manufacturer’s service schedules.||INR 3,00,000 PA|
|Production Planning & Control Engineer||These people are responsible for helping to create and maintain the process production in a company.||INR 5,45,645 PA|
|Vendor Development Engineer||These people are responsible for working in a team environment as a key source for the component teams to develop new supply sources to improve cost competitiveness.||INR 1,10,761 PA|
Some of the top recruiters in the industry for graduates of the Engineering Design course are Design firms, Cognizant ltd, Manufacturing companies, Mahindra Engineering, Wiz craft, Rolls Royce, and others.
BTech Engineering Design: Future Scope
Candidates after completion of their BTech Engineering Design course are exposed to the basics of gas turbines, thermal power, air conditioning and refrigeration, agricultural sector, oil and gas exploration, and refining industry. BTech Engineering Design graduates acquire machine component designing, team project management, creative design as per industrial requirements, thermal engineering, and other skills which are highly in demand in the industry. The future scope of the BTech Engineering design course is explained below:
- BTech Engineering design graduates can opt for any related job which will provide them a good amount of salary.
- BTech Engineering design graduates can also opt for further studies in a related field to become more professional.
- BTech Engineering design graduates from any college/ institution can also opt for Masters's courses and can also work as a part-time intern or full-time employee in any related sector.
- There are various job opportunities across the globe for BTech Engineering Design graduates, can also move abroad and work in the related field.
- BTech Engineering Design graduates can also apply for government jobs, and getting these jobs will surely give candidates a decent salary package.
BTech Engineering Design: FAQs
Ques. What are some of the main BTech Engineering Design subjects?
Ans. The main subjects in the Engineering Design course are Mathematics, Physics, CAD, CAM, machine technology, Automated Engine Component Design, etc which helps students in better designing of components.
Ques. What is the mode of registration for the BTech Engineering Design entrance exam?
Ans. The applicant can apply for a BTech Engineering Design course by filling the form online or offline as well.
Ques. What are the job opportunities after completing BTech Engineering Design?
Ans. There are wider job opportunities that can be considered once the candidates have completed this course. Some of the options include:
- Production Engineer at Automobile Plants
- Automotive Design Engineer
- Automotive Ancillary Development Engineer
- Production Planning & Control Engineer
- Vendor Development Engineer
Ques. Can BTech Engineering Design graduates opt for further studies as well?
Ans. The BTech Engineering Design graduates pursue various PG courses which include MTech Engineering Design, MBA, PGDM courses, etc., and can also opt for a doctorate in the same field.
Ques. Which are the best colleges to pursue BTech Engineering Design?
Ans. Some of the top BTech Engineering Design colleges are:
- National Institute of Design (NID)
- National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT)
- Industrial Design center (IDC)
- Pearl Academy
- Symbiosis Institute of Design
Ques. What is the average cost of pursuing BTech Engineering Design?
Ans. The average cost of pursuing BTech Engineering Design ranges from INR 50,000-4,00,000.
Ques. What are the minimum requirements for pursuing BTech Engineering Design?
Ans. The aspirants must have completed 10+2 level studies from a recognized board in Science stream with Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
Ques. What is the entire duration of the program?
Ans. BTech Engineering Design is a four-year UG course that can be done post completing intermediate with science stream and Physics, Chemistry, and Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
Ques. Is doing BTech Engineering Design worthy?
Ans. Yes, BTech Engineering Design is a good course especially for the candidates having good designing skills, knowledge of physics, machine & its components and wish to use their creative mind while designing new and efficient components and solving real-world problems.
Ques. Is the pay scale of BTech Engineering Design good?
Ans. The entry-level job for BTech Engineering Design graduates doesn’t earn more (around 1.2 LPA only). But experienced designers are paid well and are in high demand too.