BTech Instrumentation Engineering in an UG degree course of 4 years in duration studying about the measurement of the flow of charge in automated systems and their controls.
Checkout: Top Instrumentation Colleges in India
Colleges offering the programme accept class 12th pass students with PCM as main subjects. A minimum aggregate score of 65% and above from a recognized board of education is mandatory.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering involves teaching how to design, make, test, monitor and maintain instruments. These instruments are used in machinery in different industries like power, water, solar etc. The course has elements of Electrical and Electronics Engineering.
After completion of the course, candidates can expect to earn between INR 4 LPA to INR 19 LPA. Some job profiles that graduates can apply to are Instrumentation Engineer, Instrumentation and Control Engineer, Automation Engineer, Testing and Quality Maintenance Engineer, Educator etc.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Instrumentation Engineering|
|Examination Type||Semester system|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination|
|Course Fee||INR 2,400 to INR 4.23 lac|
|Average Salary||INR 4 LPA to INR 19 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||GAIL, SAIL, BHEL, IOCL|
|Job Positions||Instrumentation Engineer, Instrumentation and Control Engineer, Automation Engineer, Testing and Quality Maintenance Engineer, Educator etc.|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Admission Process
Students need to secure a rank at a national level or university level entrance examination like JEE Main, JEE Advanced, BITSAT, WBJEE, TNEA etc for admissions. The complete admission process is as below.
- Registration to entrance examination: The admission process starts by appearing for a national level or university level entrance examination. Registration dates are announced in advance.
- Release of cut off lists: Upon appearing for the examination, one has to secure a rank. All universities accepting the chosen entrance exam score will release cut-off lists.
- Application to universities: Based on the marks and rank secured by the candidate, one can now start applying to the college of choice. More than one college is to be chosen.
- Counselling and personal interviews: Counselling is held for the next round. Personal interviews are also conducted at this stage.
- Admission: Once students clear the counselling round, they can take admission. Universities require submission of a deposit to secure the student’s seat.
Some universities conduct direct admissions or merit based admissions. Students’ aggregate score secured at the 10+2 level examination is considered. A minimum aggregate score of at least 75% and above is needed for direct admissions.
Universities also allow lateral entry for students with a diploma in engineering. Students can secure admission to the third semester or second year of bachelor’s degree programme. The aggregate score of the first year must be at least 70% and higher.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Eligibility
For students interested in pursuing a BTech Instrumentation Engineering, they must fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- The student must have finished their class 12th with Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics.
- An aggregate score of 75% and higher is required.
- Candidates with an Engineering diploma in a similar field are also eligible to apply.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Entrance Exams
Details for the popular BTech Instrumentation Engineering entrance exams are as below.
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Conducting Body||Mode of exam|
|JEE Main 2021||February to May 2021||NTA||Online|
|JEE Advanced 2021||July 2021||NTA||Online|
|BITSAT 2021||June 2021||BITS Pilani||Online|
|TNEA 2021||May 2021||Anna University||Online|
|VITEEE 2021||June 2021||Vellore Institute of Technology Vellore||Online|
|WBJEE 2021||July 2021||West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination Board||Offline|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Tips to Clear Entrance Exam
- Candidates must identify their strengths and weakness in order to overcome weakness and to know your interest area.
- Time management is very important for the aspirants. They should know how to manage time during the exam.
- They have to be clear about minutes per question. Mock test papers will help them to learn time management skills.
- More practice means more clearance of doubts for the exam. More practice will help them to learn new and correct methods to solve questions and clear your every doubt before exam.
- Be aware of current affairs, general knowledge, data sufficiency to the related field.
- They should know about the syllabus and the books to study for the Entrance exam.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Tips to get the Best College
All students wish to gain admission into a highly ranked engineering college. The following pointers will aid towards that goal.
- Students need to prepare a list of colleges that they wish to secure admission into. It is advisable to have rankings for college preferences.
- One must be up to date with counselling dates and other admission details. Most private engineering colleges start their counselling sessions early.
- Decide on a specialization of choice and depending on it choose the perfect college. College matters more than specialization when it comes to infrastructure, placement etc.
- They must prepare for the entrance exam, know their syllabus and find top institutes for preparation of the entrance exam they chose.
- For the counselling stage, mock counselling sessions can be taken up online.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: What is it About?
- BTech Instrumentation Engineering deals with the measurement of the flow of charge in automated systems and their controls.
- It is a 4 Year UG Course where students learn about adding sensors to the systems which have recorders, transmitters, displays or control systems.
- This course is designed to understand the design and controls of automated systems.
- BTech Instrumentation Engineering curriculum covers subjects like material science, signal processing, statistics, optics, etc.
- It also covers the study of various engineering cycles and procedures to help the students understand the different aspects of industrial processes.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Fees|
|Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||INR 82,070|
|National Institute of Technology Tiruchirappalli||INR 1.49 lac|
|Anna University||INR 55,000|
|National Institute of Technology Rourkela||INR 2.26 lac|
|Jadavpur University||INR 80,400|
|National Institute of Technology Silchar||INR 1.48 lac|
|PSG College of Technology||INR 87,000|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||INR 3.25 lac|
|Birla Institute of Technology Pilani||INR 4.23 lac|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: College Comparison
The table below compares the best Government and Private Engineering college providing BTech in Instrumental Engineering.
|Parameters||Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur||Amrita School of Engineering|
|Overview||IIT Kharagpur was established in 1951 and consists of 19 Departments, 13 Schools and 9 Centres of Excellence. It is famous for its flagship programme BTech which if offered in 14 specializations.||ASE was established in 1994 as the first center for higher learning under the Amrita Vishwa Vidyapeetham Group. It is AICTE approved and accredited by NBA|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||5||20|
|Average Fee||INR 82,070||INR 3.1 lac|
|Average Placement Package||INR 19 LPA||INR 5.40 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Accenture, TSMC, Sony, Rakuten, and Valuance etc.||TCS, CTS, Wipro, Cognizant etc.|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Course Advantages
The goal to attain a BTech Instrumentation Engineering degree will depend on each individual’s aspirations and goals.
- Reputed profession: Instrumentation Engineering is a high demand field where skilled graduates are able to find open job positions immediately. It is one of the oldest and most reputable engineering divisions in the area.
- High pay: Average packages for BTech Instrumentation Engineering graduates are on the higher side for both private and public organizations. Given the scale of work, the pay is also on the higher side for professionals.
- Career opportunities: An Instrumentation Engineer is able to pursue a diverse array of career opportunities.
- On completion of this program, students will be able to get handsome salary packages ranging between INR 3,50,000 and INR 6,00,000 depending on candidate’s expertise in the field.
- Candidates can further pursue PG courses such as MBA or M.Tech./ M.E. degree after completing this course.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Course comparison
To better understand what is Instrumentation Engineering, a comparison has been done between BTech Instrumentation Engineering and BTech Instrumental and Control Engineering. This comparison has been conducted on the basis of a few parameters that will help the students.
|Parameters||BTech Instrumentation Engineering||BTech Instrumentation and Control Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Focus Area||The focus is on troubleshooting and controlling the working of instruments.||Focus on the measurement and control of process variables in a production process.|
|Admission Criteria||Merit-based or Entrance exam based||Merit-based or Entrance exam based|
|Eligibility Criteria||Class 12th with PCM||Class 12th with PCM|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2,400 to INR 4.23 lac||INR 1 lac to 12 lac|
|Job Profiles||Instrumentation Engineer, Instrumentation and Control Engineer, Automation Engineer etc.||Instrumentation Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Instrumentation and Control Engineer, Automation Engineer, Mechanical Engineer etc.|
|Average Salary Package||INR 4 LPA to INR 19 LPA||INR 2 LPA to INR 10 LPA|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Mathematics 1 and 2||Mathematics 3|
|Engineering Graphics||Computer Programming with C|
|Workshop and lab||Elective|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Mathematics 4||Environmental Science and Engineering|
|Material Science||Electrical Measurements and Measuring Instruments|
|Strength of materials||Operational Amplifiers & Linear IC Applications|
|Sensors and Transducers||Signals and systems|
|Electronics lab||Industrial and Electronic Instrumentation|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Control Systems||Digital Signal Processing|
|Microprocessor and Micro Controllers||Process Control and Control Components|
|Industrial Electronics||Elective 2 and 3|
|Analytical Instrumentation||Open Elective|
|Advanced Sensors||Micro Process lab|
|Elective 1||Virtual Instrumentation lab|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
|Elective 4 and 5||Elective 6|
|Open elective||Open elective|
|Biomedical Instrumentation lab||DCS and PLC lab|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering: Recommended Books
|Name of the book||Author|
|Matrix Educare B-Tech EI 3rd Year 5th Semester Industrial Instrumentation (MEB036)||Surajit Bagchi|
|Evaluation of Analytical Methods in Biological Systems: Analysis of Biogenic Amines Pt. A (Techniques & Instrumentation in Analytical Chemistry)||Glen B. Baker and Ronald T. Coutts|
|Industrial Instrumentation||Pramod B. Deshkari|
|Introduction to Instrumentation and Measurements (Electronic Engineering Systems)||Robert B. Northrop|
|Technology of Integrated Circuits (Springer Series in Advanced Microelectronics)||D.Widmann and H. Mader|
|Matrix Educare B-Tech EI 2nd Year 3rd Semester Electrical Measurement & Instrumentation (MEB033)||Partha Sarathee Bhowmik|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Job Profiles
The following lists the popular job profiles, Instrumentation Engineering graduates can get hired as. Also listed is the average salary of each profile.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Instrumentation Engineer||INR 4.16 LPA|
|Instrumentation and Control Engineer||INR 8.8 LPA|
|Automation Engineer||INR 4.61 LPA|
|Testing and Quality Maintenance Engineer||INR 3.87 LPA|
|Professor||INR 10 LPA|
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Salary Graph
Above stated Instrumentation Engineering job profiles have been depicted in the chart below.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering Future Scope
Post completing BTech Instrumentation Engineering, candidates are open to a lot of options besides being employed. The most popular choices have been described below.
- M.Tech: Students who wish to continue and advance in the same field, Instrumentation Engineering, can look to enrolling into a Masters in Technology degree programme. M.Tech degrees offer different Instrumentation Engineering specializations that are taught over 2 years. Admissions are done in a similar manner to BTech degrees.
- MBA: Master of Business Administration or MBA is a popular programme choice for not only Engineering graduates but also students from other fields. MBA degrees can choose between Finance, Marketing, Hospitality Management, Operations Management etc.
- Competitive examinations: Another option for students in preparing for and sitting for competitive examinations. Competitive examinations to be hired onto Government jobs like UPSC, SSC, ISRO, RRB etc. Competition is stiff but there is immense job security.
BTech Instrumentation Engineering FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of BTech Instrumentation Engineering?
Ans. BTech Instrumentation Engineering programme is of four years duration including an internship.
Ques. What is the average course fee for this programme?
Ans. The average course fee for BTech Instrumentation Engineering is between INR 2,400 to INR 4.23 lac.
Ques. Is there a summer internship for this programme?
Ans. Yes, Students have to finish a two to 4-month long internship in order to graduate. An internship project is also required to be submitted.
Ques.What is the average placement package for BTech Instrumentation Engineering?
Ans.The average placement package for BTech Instrumentation Engineering is in the range of INR 2 to 12 LPA.
Ques. Is Mathematics necessary at the 12th class for admission into this programme?
Ans. Yes, All applicants need to be completed in Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics in class 12th.
Ques. How much percentage is required at the 12th class for admission into a good BTech Instrumentation Engineering college?
Ans. An aggregate score of 75% and above along with a high score in the entrance exam is enough to secure admissions.
Ques. What are the entrance examinations required for admission?
Ans. Both national level and university level entrance examinations are accepted for admissions. Popular entrance tests are JEE Main, JEE Advanced, WBJEE, BITSAT etc.
Ques. What can a graduate of a BTech Instrumentation Engineering do after this course?
Ans. Upon graduation, one can get hired as Instrumentation Engineer, Instrumentation and Control Engineer, Automation Engineer, Testing and Quality Maintenance Engineer, Professor etc.
Ques. Can I pursue an MBA after BTech?
Ans. Yes. Many organizations prefer a BTech with an MBA degree for jobs.