What is BTech Mechatronics?
BTech Mechatronics is a 3-year undergraduate course based on semester system. This course combines Mechanical and Electronics Engineering.
This program equips engineers with skills to design, construct and run factory production lines and automated processes, where they use their skills in computers, micro-controllers, programmable logic controllers, programming, industrial sensors, hydraulic, pneumatic and electric drives, the design of mechanical structures, mechanisms and knowledge of manufacturing processes.
Students who have passed Class 12 in Science stream from a recognized board are eligible to apply for admission to the BTech Mechatronics course. Almost all the top engineering institutes in the country admit students on the basis of BTech entrance examinations like JEE Main and JEE Advanced. There is also a round of counseling held after qualifying the entrance examinations.
Some of the top BTech Mechatronics institutes, as rated by NIRF 2020 are as follows.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary||NIRF Ranking 2020|
|36||SRM Engineering College, Kanchipuram||INR 2,60,000||INR 8,75,000||36|
|37||SASTRA University, Thanjavur||INR 1,67,000||INR 7,50,000||37|
|42||KIIT, Bhubaneswar||INR 4,29,000||INR 10,00,000||42|
|45||MIT, Manipal||INR 3,35,000||INR 9,65,000||45|
|57||JNTUH, Hyderabad||INR 12,500||INR 6,00,000||57|
Also check, Top BTech Mechatronics Colleges in India
There are a large number of government and private colleges/ universities that offer this course. The average course fees for the program ranges between INR 5,000 and 5,00,000.
BTech Mechatronics degree holders will be able to get hired in public and private organizations in positions like Technical Services, Machine Designer, Packaging Engineer, Automation Specialist, Human/Machine Interface (HMI) Programmer etc. in various technical firms.
The average placement package that can be expected by fresh graduates of BTech Mechatronics usually ranges between INR 4,00,000 and 10,00,000.
Also check Top MTech colleges in India.
What is the BTech Mechatronics Admission Process?
The most popular engineering entrance exams in the country are JEE Main and JEE Advanced, which are mandatory for admission into primarily public universities. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance exams.
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Step1- Registration: In this step, students need to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number etc.
- Step2- Application Form: Fill the application form with all necessary details. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Step3- Uploading of documents: Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph and signature. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Step4- Payment of Application Fees: Candidates have to pay the application fees either online or offline.
- Step5 - Downloading of admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Step6 - Entrance Exam: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Step7 - Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Step8 - Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the BTech Mechatronics course.
What is the BTech Mechatronics Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for BTech Mechatronics aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from institute to institute.
- Admission to the BTech Mechatronics program in most colleges and universities is done based on the applicant’s score in a common engineering entrance.
- Candidates required eligibility for this course is to pass 10+2 in a Science stream from a recognized Board or University.
- Some entrance exams require candidates to have min 75% in 12th.
- The most popular entrance exams used for admission to BTech Mechatronics include JEE Main & Advanced, WBJEE, IMU CET, SRMJEEE etc.
Which are the popular BTech Mechatronics Entrance Exams?
There are a large number of national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the BTech Mechatronics course.
Some of the popular BTech Mechatronics entrance exams are as follows:
- JEE Main: JEE Main examination is conducted by NTA at the national level. It is usually conducted in the month of January and April of each year for admission into undergraduate engineering programs. It is an online examination which is of 3 hour duration and the paper is of 360 marks.
- JEE Advanced: JEE Advanced, previously known as IIT JEE, is the second phase of the JEE Main. It is also an online examination that covers Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- WBJEE: WBJEEB conducts the exam to grant admission to students in undergraduate Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy courses offered by the colleges in West Bengal.
- VITEEE: VITEEE is a common entrance exam for VIT Vellore, VIT Chennai, VIT-AP, and VIT- Bhopal. The exam tests students on subjects like Mathematics/Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English and Aptitude.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Examination||Application Deadline||Date of Exam||Mode of Exam|
|JEE Main 2021||January 23, 2021||February 23 – 26, 2021
March 15 – 18, 2021
April 27 – 30, 2021
May 24 – 28, 2021
|JEE Advanced 2021||First Week of June, 2021||July 03, 2021||Online|
|WBJEE 2021||Fourth Week of December, 2020 - Third Week of January, 2021||Third Week of May, 2021||Offline|
|KEAM 2021||First week of February - First week of March, 2021||Two consecutive days for Paper 1 and 2, in the 3rd week of April, 2021||Offline|
|VITEEE 2021||October 2020 - February 2021 (Tentative)||Second to Third Week of April, 2021||Online|
How to prepare for BTech Mechatronics Entrance Exams?
Candidates preparing for any of the above-mentioned entrance examinations are advised to take note of the preparation tips given below:
- Be thorough with the syllabus. Most Engineering Entrances cover the subjects of Chemistry, Maths, and Physics. Candidates seeking a good score are advised to study according to the topics to efficiently keep track of their progress and manage time properly.
- Decide on Exam Preparation material early, and stick to the decided Textbooks/ Prep Material throughout their study. This will help the student avoid confusion, especially towards the end.
- Practice with Previous Year’s Papers. This is the best way to become completely familiar with both the content and format of the examination. Practicing will also improve the student’s speed in completing the tougher sections. It will highlight the areas that require additional focus and preparation.
How to get admission in a good BTech Mechatronics college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BTech Mechatronics college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others. This will help in better preparation.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Some papers have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for these sections can be by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying
Checkout: Top Ranked Engineering Colleges in India
BTech Mechatronics: What is it about?
Information and details about the BTech Mechatronics program are as follows.
- BTech Mechatronics is the study of the moving parts that drive robots, electronics and machines. This 4- year course primarily focuses on aspects of developing novel products based on mechatronic principles.
- In this program, students are taught about electronic and mechanical systems, process control and instrumentation, and robotics and automated manufacturing.
- Mechatronics is the study of the interface between mechanical engineering and electronics.
- As a broad academic discipline, it embraces mechanical engineering, manufacturing, electronics and computer technology.
BTech Mechatronics Course Highlights
|Full Form||Bachelor of Technology in Mechatronics|
|Examination Type||Semester Examinations|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 to 5,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||TATA, Ford, Nexa etc.|
|Job Positions||Machine Designer, Packaging Engineer, Automation Specialist, Human/Machine Interface (HMI) Programmer etc.|
Why Study BTech Mechatronics?
BTech Mechatronics offers various perks to the students including good package, interesting job profile, secured job etc. Here are some reasons to justify why this course should be chosen:-
- Diversified Career Options: BTech Mechatronics opens various career options in different fields and organizations. The student with this course can work in private sector and government sector organisations.
- Every individual will share a typical target over the financial, social, social, and different requirements of society.
- On completion of this course, students will have numerous jobs, obligations, and openings accessible all through their excursion.
- Popular Abroad:This course is popular internationally and has a lot of job opportunities which can be bagged worldwide after completing this course.
BTech Mechatronics vs BTech Electrical Engineering
Below given is a course comparison between BTech Mechatronics and BTech Electrical Engineering. This comparison will help students to choose the best subject for themselves.
Also check top BTech Electrical Engineering Colleges here.
|Parameters||BTech Mechatronics||BTech Electrical Engineering|
|Qualification||Bachelor of Technology in Mechatronics||Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering|
|Course Overview||BTech Mechatronics is a 4-year undergraduate course based on a semester system which deals with Electronics and Mechanical Engineering||BTech Electrical Engineering is an engineering discipline with deals with Electricity and Electronic devices|
|Eligibility||10+2 examination from a recognized board||10+2 examination from a recognized board|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 to 5,00,000||INR 50,000 to 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000||INR 3,50,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Job Profiles||Machine Designer, Packaging Engineer, Automation Specialist, Human/Machine Interface (HMI) Programmer etc.||Electrical Manager, Maintenance Engineer, Professor, Mechanical Engineer etc.|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top BTech Mechatronics Colleges?
The table below shows the top BTech Mechatronics colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|36||SRM Engineering College, Kanchipuram||INR 2,60,000||INR 8,75,000|
|37||SASTRA University, Thanjavur||INR 1,67,000||INR 7,50,000|
|42||KIIT, Bhubaneswar||INR 4,29,000||INR 10,00,000|
|45||MIT, Manipal||INR 3,35,000||INR 9,65,000|
|57||JNTUH, Hyderabad||INR 12,500||INR 6,00,000|
|86||GGSIPU, New Delhi||INR 1,17,000||INR 7,00,000|
BTech in Mechatronics Engineering College Comparison
There are various colleges offering BTech Mechatronics. Below is a detailed comparison of top three colleges for BTech Mechatronics
|College Name||SRM Engineering College||SASTRA University||KIIT Bhubaneswar|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 14,400||INR 70,000||INR 22,800|
|Eligibility||Higher Secondary Examination (10+2)||Higher Secondary Examination (10+2)||Higher Secondary Examination (10+2)|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8,75,000||INR 7,50,000||INR10,00,000|
Source: College Websites
What is the Syllabus of BTech Mechatronics?
The subjects taught for the BTech Mechatronics program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges. The syllabus for the entire BTech Mechanics course is as follows.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Physics I||Physics II|
|Mathematics I||English Communication|
|Design Thinking||Engineering Graphics|
|Environmental Skills||Basic Electrical and Electronics|
|Engineering Mechanics||Computer Programming|
|Workshop Technology||Electrical & Electronics Lab|
|Engineering Workshop Lab||Physics II Lab|
|Physics Lab I||Computer Programming Lab|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Mathematics III||Materials Technology|
|OOPs with C++||Embedded System|
|Engineering Thermodynamics||Mechanics of Solids|
|Analog and Digital Electronics||Theory of Machine|
|Electrical Machine||Instrumentation & Control|
|Open Elective I||Open Elective II|
|OOPs Lab||Materials Testing Lab|
|Engineering Graphics Lab II||Embedded System Programming Lab|
|Electrical Drives and Electronics Lab||Theory of Machine Lab|
|Semester 5||Semester 6|
|Manufacturing Technology||Design of Machine Elements|
|Fluid Mechanics & Machinery||Program Logic Controller & HMI|
|Robotics & Control||Hydraulics and Pneumatics|
|Open Elective III||CAD/CAM|
|Program Elective I||Program Elective II|
|Manufacturing Technology Lab||Hydraulics and Pneumatics Lab|
|Fluid Mechanics & Machinery Lab||CAD/CAM Lab|
|Robotics & Control Lab||PLC & HMI Lab|
|Minor Project I||Minor Project II|
|Program Elective Lab||Industrial Visit|
|Semester 7||Semester 8|
|Digital Signal Processing||Theory of Automation|
|Mechatronics System Design||Program Elective IV|
|Distributed Control System||Program Elective V|
|Program Elective III||Major Project II|
|Digital Signal Processing Lab||__|
|Major Project I||__|
What are the Future Prospects of BTech Mechatronics?
- Mechatronics is a particularly new field of study, examination and study are a significant piece of the course just as work openings. Be that as it may, the professional possibilities are brilliant for people who are truly keen on this field and are anxious to learn. So it is highly estimated that this field is evergreen.
- An applicant after productive completion of a degree in BTech Mechatronics can take occupations in various organization territories
- BTech Mechatronics graduates can also opt for MTech courses in the same or different specialization to seek a higher position and education.
Some of the most common job profiles that a BTech Mechatronics student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Automation Engineer||An Automation Engineer is responsible for preparing designs of automotives.||INR 6,75,000|
|Professor/Teacher||The job of a Professor or Teacher is to teach students everything about a particular subject.||INR 8,75,000|
|Content Developer||The job of a Content Developer is to create content, articles, and blogs based on the healthcare and medicine industry.||INR 4,32,000|
|Research Assistant||They are responsible for designing, undertaking and analyzing information from controlled laboratory-based investigations, experiments and trials.||INR 7,00,000|
Source: College Websites
What are the Future Scopes of BTech Mechatronics?
BTech Mechatronics degree holders can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BTech Mechatronics degree are as follows.
- MTech: If one wishes to pursue studies in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MTech Mechatronics. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BE or BTech in Mechatronics. This is one of the most popular masters engineering programs and admissions are highly competitive.
Check out the Top MTech Mechatronics Colleges in India.
- MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BTech degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
- Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
BTech Mechatronics FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between BTech Mechatronics and BTech Electrical Engineering?
Ans. BTech Mechatronics is the combination of Mechanical and Electrical Engineering whereas BTech Electrical Engineering has nothing to do with Mechanical aspects of engineering.
Ques. What can be done with BTech Mechatronics?
Ans. After BTech Mechatronics, one can work in the private or government sector as a Mechanical Engineer, Electrical Engineer etc.
Ques. What are the advanced courses which can be pursued after BTech Mechatronics?
Ans. After successful completion of BTech Mechatronics, a student can pursue MTech, MPhil or PhD in relevant specialization.
Ques. How common is BTech Mechatronics?
Ans. BTech Mechatronics is not very common in India but is gaining popularity with time. However, BTech Mechatronics holds a significant importance internationally.
Ques. What is the basic fee structure in BTech Mechatronics?
Ans. The average annual fee for BTech Mechatronics course varies from INR 5,000 to 5,00,000 based on the college chosen.
Ques. What are the documents required for admissions in BTech Mechatronics?
Ans. Following documents are required for admissions in BTech Mechatronics :-
- School leaving certificate
- Transfer certificate
- Domicile certificate/ residential proof or certificate
- Provisional certificate
- Character certificate
- Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe/Other Backward Caste certificates
- Proof of disability (if any)
- Migration Certificate
- Passing certificate/ Degree certificate
- Age proof
- No objection Certificate