What is BTech Plastic Engineering?
BTech in Plastic Engineering is an undergraduate course of duration 4 years. The course has been designed to convey the specialised concept of plastic engineering that covers plastic processing, plastic, and synthetic materials manufacturing, plastic storage science, development of Synthetic Materials etc.
Students who have passed Class 12 in Science stream from a recognized board are eligible to apply for admission to the BTech Plastic Engineering course.
Almost all the top engineering institutes in the country admit students on the basis of entrance examinations like JEE Main and JEE Advanced. There is also a round of counseling held after qualifying the entrance examinations.
See More: BTech Admission 2021
There are a large number of government and private colleges/ universities that offer this course. The average course fees for the program ranges between INR 40,000 and 2,00,000.
BTech Plastic Engineering degree holders will be able to get hired in public and private organizations in positions like Plastic Engineer, Lecturer/ Professor, Scientific Writer, Research Scientist etc.
They usually get employment in areas like Textile Technology, Automobiles etc.
The average placement package that can be expected by fresh graduates of BTech Plastic Engineering usually ranges between INR 5,00,000 and 7,00,000.
Also check Top MTech colleges in India.
BTech Plastic Engineering Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Technology in Plastic Engineering|
|Eligibility||Passed in 10+2 from a recognized board with PCM|
|Admission Process||JEE (Mains) + Counselling|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Singapore Plastic Recycle Company, Schneider Electric, Siemens AG, Ministry of Petroleum, Oil and Natural Gas Commission (ONGC) etc.|
|Job Positions||Design Specialist, Quality Control Engineer, Plant Supervisor, Plant Manager, Design Engineer etc.|
What is the BTech Plastic Engineering Admission Process?
The most popular engineering entrance exams in the country are JEE Main and JEE Advanced, which are mandatory for admission into primarily public universities. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance exams.
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Step1- Registration: In this step, students need to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number etc.
- Step2- Application Form: Fill the application form with all necessary details. Care must be taken to ensure all details are accurate and correct.
- Step3- Uploading of documents: Scan and upload all requisite documents like mark sheets, photograph and signature. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Step4- Payment of Application Fees: Candidates have to pay the application fees either online or offline.
- Step5 - Downloading of admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Step6 - Entrance Exam: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Step7 - Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Step8 - Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the BTech Plastic Engineering course.
What is the BTech Plastic Engineering Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria of BTech in Plastic Engineering is given below:
- Candidates must have a 10+2 qualification with Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics as the main subject of study, securing a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Candidates must also have a valid score in any national or state level entrance examination.
- Candidates holding a diploma in Plastic engineering and other mechanical streams are also eligible for admission,
- For lateral entry in the second year, candidates must have done their diploma in plastic engineering.
- The age limit must lie between 17 and 23 years.
Which are the popular BTech Plastic Engineering Entrance Exams?
There are a large number of national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the BTech Plastic Engineering course.
Some of the popular BTech Plastic Engineering entrance exams are as follows:
- JEE Main: JEE Main examination is conducted by NTA at the national level. It is usually conducted in the month of January and April of each year for admission into undergraduate engineering programs. It is an online examination which is of 3 hour duration and the paper is of 360 marks.
- JEE Advanced: JEE Advanced, previously known as IIT JEE, is the second phase of the JEE Main. It is also an online examination that covers Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- WBJEE: WBJEEB conducts the exam to grant admission to students in undergraduate Engineering, Technology, Architecture and Pharmacy courses offered by the colleges in West Bengal.
- VITEEE: VITEEE is a common entrance exam for VIT Vellore, VIT Chennai, VIT-AP, and VIT- Bhopal. The exam tests students on subjects like Mathematics/Biology, Physics, Chemistry, English and Aptitude.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Examination||Application Deadline||Date of Exam||Mode of Exam|
|JEE Main 2020||July 31, 2020||September 1, 2020 - September 6, 2020||Online|
|JEE Advanced 2020||September 11, 2020||September 27, 2020||Online|
|VITEEE 2021||October 2020 - February 2021 (Tentative)||Postponed||Online|
How to prepare for BTech Plastic Engineering entrance examinations?
Candidates preparing for any of the above-mentioned entrance examinations are advised to take note of the preparation tips given below:
- Be thorough with the syllabus. Most Engineering Entrances cover the subjects of Chemistry, Maths, and Physics. Candidates seeking a good score are advised to study according to the topics to efficiently keep track of their progress and manage time properly.
- Decide on Exam Preparation material early, and stick to the decided Textbooks/ Prep Material throughout their study. This will help the student avoid confusion, especially towards the end.
- Practice with Previous Year’s Papers. This is the best way to become completely familiar with both the content and format of the examination. Practicing will also improve the student’s speed in completing the tougher sections. It will highlight the areas that require additional focus and preparation.
How to get admission in a good BTech Plastic Engineering college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked BTech Plastic Engineering college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions asked in different entrance exams. Some papers are comparatively easier to attempt than the others. This will help in better preparation.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling, going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Revision of all basic concepts must be done.
- Some papers have an English section and an Aptitude section. Preparation for these sections can be by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. Examination application dates, exam dates etc. are changed and advertised in all major newspapers. It is important to keep track of any such news.
- Take a look at the daily news and affairs of the world regularly. Keeping up to date with the news will help in preparation for the exam and counseling round but also act as a break from studying
Checkout: Top Ranked Engineering Colleges in India
BTech Plastic Engineering: What is it about?
Information and details about the BTech Plastic Engineering program are as follows.
- A plastic that is in a semi-liquid state is a polymeric material. Plastic engineer’s responsibilities include studying, developing, and implementing the processes involved in the manufacture of plastic and synthetic materials.
- The course provides hands-on experience to assist and analyze the process of manufacturing plastic materials.
- The subjects of BTech in Plastic Engineering includes chemical engineering and environmental engineering to understand and analyze the impact of reacting material and its effect on the environment.
- Students are also taken for on-site training in major manufacturing sites and given training on molding methods and on the preparation of mixtures and harnessing the quality.
Why Study BTech Plastic Engineering?
Some of the reasons to pursue this course are as follows.
- When the right path is taken, the future of plastic is very bright. As you know, almost all goods are related to plastic in some way, so it is unavoidable that a plastic specialist is required.
- In both the public and private sectors, plastic technologists and experts are in great demand.
- Generally, this course is offered by government-owned colleges, so placement opportunities are good as compared to other streams.
- Students with BTech in Plastic Engineering have a good scope in areas of polymer technology, oil, and natural gas, textile technology, petrochemical, textile technology, thermal engineering, electricity, telecommunication, etc.
BTech Plastic Engineering Course Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between BTech Plastic Engineering and BE Plastic Engineering. This comparison will help students to choose the best subject for themselves.
BTech Plastic Engineering vs BE Plastic Engineering
|Parameters||BTech Plastic Engineering||BE Plastic Engineering|
|Duration||4 years||4 years|
|Focus Area||It covers plastic processing, plastic and synthetic materials manufacturing, plastic storage science, development of Synthetic Materials, etc. Furthermore, the course involves subjects like analytical chemistry, Mass and Energy Balance, analysis of polymers, etc.||To make plastics eco-friendly, this branch is active in research work. Compression, moulding, lamination, welding, etc. are some of the methods involved in plastic technology.|
|Admission Criteria||JEE Mains/ JEE Advanced/ GATE||JEE Mains/ JEE Advanced/ GATE|
|Eligibility Criteria||10+2 PCM||10+2 with PCM|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1,00,000-1,50,000||INR 1,00,000-2,50,000|
|Job Options||Project Manager, Plastic Engineer, Design Engineer, Material Analyst, Factory Manager||Project Manager, Plastic Engineer, Design Engineer, Material Analyst, Factory Manager|
|Average Placement Package||INR 5,00,000-7,00,000||INR 4,00,000-8,00,000|
Which are the top BTech Plastic Engineering Colleges?
The table below shows the top BTech Plastic Engineering colleges and universities that offer the course in a full-time mode.
|College/ University Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|College of Engineering, Roorkee||Entrance-Based||INR 1,36,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad||Entrance-Based||INR 75,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Harcourt Butler Technological Institute, Kanpur||Entrance-Based||INR 1,35,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai||Entrance-Based||INR 95,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Biju Patnaik University of Technology, Rourkela||Entrance-Based||INR 1,06,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Aryabhatta Knowledge University, Patna||Entrance-Based||INR 40,000||INR 3,00,000|
|CIPET, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 1,17,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Laxminarayan Institute of Technology, Nagpur||Entrance-Based||INR 1,04,550||INR 5,00,000|
BTech in Plastic Engineering Engineering College Comparison
|Parameter||College of Engineering, Roorkee||Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai||Gujarat Technological University, Ahmedabad|
|Objective||Founded in 1998, the College of Engineering Roorkee offers BTech, MTech, and diploma programs. It also carries out many value-added programmes to bridge the gap between industry and academia, such as digital marketing, study methodology, verbal ability, thinking ability, personality growth, and many more.||The Institute of Chemical Technology, Mumbai (ICT Mumbai), founded in 1933 as the University Department of Chemical Technology (UDCT), has been uplifted over the decades with the help of multiple industries and philanthropists.||Situated in Ahmedabad, GTU is a technical university, founded in 2007. Gujarat Technological University (GTU), officially recognized by the University Grants Commission of India, offers courses leading to higher education degrees in several fields of study.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||26||22||27|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,36,000||INR 95,000||INR 75,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 3,00,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Cognizant, TCS, HSBC, IGT Solutions, Tech Mahindra, Collabera etc.||Mario, Ganesh Cosmetic, Kedia Organic, Croda, etc.||Amazon, Evosys, HackerEarth, Wipro, SRF Limited etc.|
What is the Syllabus of BTech Plastic Engineering?
The subjects taught for the BTech Plastic Engineering program are almost similar in most of the engineering colleges. The syllabus for the entire BTech Plastic Engineering course is as follows.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Semester VII||Semester VIII|
What are the Job Prospects of BTech Plastic Engineering?
- Production of plastics is growing year after year as a consequence job openings for Plastic engineers is more.
- A career in Plastic Technology or Plastic Engineering has enormous opportunities for growth in both the public sector as well as the private sector.
- The Job roles offered depend on the candidate’s knowledge and research-based experience that makes them qualified to handle job roles of higher magnitude and multiple domains.
The most common job positions offered to the graduates are given below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Plastic Engineer||The tasks include the creation and installation of all-new injection molding equipment and the documentation of all processes of implementation for all molded products.||INR 5,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Design Technician||Design technicians are responsible for designing products. They aid in data collection, experimenting, drafting and revising reports.||INR 5,00,000 to 7,00,000|
|Mould Maker||A Plastic Mould Maker is a professional worker who produces moulds for use in metalworking and other industries of production.||INR 3,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Mould Designer||A Mould Designer, when working with engineers, architects or industrial designers prepares engineering designs, drawings, and related material.||INR 3,00,000 to 4,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes of BTech Plastic Engineering?
BTech Plastic Engineering degree holders can prefer to do jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher studies. The most popular choices of education on completion of a BTech Plastic Engineering degree are as follows.
- MTech: If one wishes to pursue studies in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a MTech Plastic Engineering. It is a two-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a BE or BTech in Plastic Engineering. This is one of the most popular masters engineering programs and admissions are highly competitive.
Check out the Top MTech Plastic Engineering Colleges in India.
- MBA: A large number of engineering graduates choose to go for the management route by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered through a national level entrance test. Having a BTech degree together with an MBA in a specialization of choice is highly advantageous and many organizations actively search for such candidates.
- Competitive examinations: Another route that graduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
BTech Plastic Engineering FAQs
Ques. What average package do freshers get in the plastic engineering stream?
Ans. Plastic Engineering freshers can earn around INR 15,000 to 30,000 per month in the beginning. The starting pay depends on the factors such as the work profile, the employer's profile and the job place.
Ques. Is Plastic Engineering a good stream?
Ans. Plastic Engineering benefits include a wide range of scopes, your work is easily guaranteed in plastic-related core companies even with less technical skills due to fewer vacancies, highly paying employment abroad, etc., which means that plastic engineering is still the most desirable course in the job market and it is really a good career option.
Ques. What are the job roles for BTech graduates in Plastic Engineering?
Ans. The most common job roles offered to BTech in Plastic Engineering graduates are:
- Project Manager
- Plastic Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Material Analyst
- Factory Manager
- Quality Assurance Engineer
Ques. What is the future scope of BTech Plastic Engineering in India?
Ans. Graduates have plenty of work prospects in polymer and plastic manufacturing engineering, which are in high demand.
Ques. What is the future scope after BTech in Plastic Engineering?
Ans. BTech graduates can pursue ME or MTech in the related discipline after completing a degree in Plastic Engineering.
Ques. What is the highest salary package offered to BTech Plastic Engineering graduates?
Ans. The highest salary package offered to BTech Plastic Engineering graduates is between INR 5,00,000 and 7,00,000 per annum.
Ques. What are the Production Engineer's responsibilities?
Ans. Production Engineers in plants and factories are responsible for supervising and optimizing production. They help teams of engineers, draw up safety plans, report problems to the manager, and build performance and profit enhancement strategies.
Ques. What are the job responsibilities of Plastic Engineers?
Ans. Some of the top job responsibilities of Plastic Engineers are as follows:
- Design plastics or injection-mold fabrication processes.
- Create and improve injection-mold machinery.
- Research and develop new manufacturing processes.
- Analyze manufacturing data and suggest improvements.
- Analyze production and machinery line.
- Ensure quality output of molded components.
Ques. What is the highest paid job role in Plastic Engineering?
Ans. The highest-paid job role after completing plastic engineering is Plastic Production Engineer and Film Division