BVoc or Bachelor of Vocational Studies or simply Bachelor of Vocation is a new aged method of education. It is a 3-year undergraduate course to improve the skills and employability of the candidates.
Know More About Vocational Course
This type of course not only concentrates on the theoretical knowledge of the candidates, but also focusses to sharpen the skills and expertise of the candidates through its practical way of training.
This program is specially designed with multiple entries and multiple exit points where the candidates can pursue a specialized course for 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years. They are also awarded a certificate, diploma, and Advanced diploma in that pursued specialized course.
B.Voc is offered by a variety of colleges/universities under several disciplines. Some of the major disciplines that a BVoc degree focuses on are Engineering, Medicare, Arts & Science, Management, Commerce (Banking applications), Computer and its applications, and Food Management.
Candidates seeking admission into the majority of BVoc programs in India should secure at least 50 % or 60 % in 10+2 exams or diploma exams, as mandated by the admitting university/college. The admissions are usually based on merit or through the entrance exams.
The universities/colleges/institutions in India providing BVoc degrees are indicated in the below table.
|NIRF 2019 Ranking (Overall National)||College/University Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Per Annum|
|48||The University of Kashmir - [KU], Srinagar||Merit-based||INR 8,000||-|
|53||Bharathidasan University (BDU), Tiruchirappalli||Merit-based||INR 27,000||INR 1,20,000|
|62||Cochin University of Science and Technology - [CUSAT], Kochi||Entrance-based followed by Counselling||-||INR 3,50,000|
|69||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU), Aurangabad||Entrance-based followed by Counselling||INR 14,500||INR 1,75,000|
|-||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science - [HITS], Chennai||Merit-based||INR 2,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
As of now, vocational courses are being offered by a limited number of institutions since industrialization collaborations and practical training sessions with internships are mandated in these courses.
The average fees charged by these institutes are somewhat around INR 3,000 - INR 2,00,000 per annum.
These vocational courses are designed for those who want to enrich their skills and expertise for a decent salary package giving jobs. Depending on the field of study they choose they can earn up to INR 4 lakhs per annum. The graduates can also go for higher studies and opt for M.Voc in their field of study.
BVoc Admission Process
Usually, the admissions are conducted either through a merit-based process or entrance-based. The majority of the institutes prefer merit-based admissions but there are some universities that prefer entrance-based admissions.
For instance, Cochin University of Science and Technology - [CUSAT], Kochi, and Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU) are those universities that admit candidates based on the performance of the entrance exam followed by counseling.
- For admission on the basis of merit, the candidates are required to qualify the 10+2 examination or diploma with certain marks as mentioned by different institutes.
- Institutes will evaluate the students based on their previous academic records and release a merit list of the shortlisted students.
- The selected students will have to pay the initial amount on accepting the admission offer and also to secure their position.
- For entrance based admission, the eligible candidates can appear for the exam by filling up the application form and paying the application fees.
- The institute will release a cut-off and the candidates clearing the cut-off will be shortlisted.
- The candidates will then be invited for counseling, wherein they can choose their preferred discipline and go do document verification.
- Once they pay the initial amount, they will be admitted into the following courses.
- The candidates should secure at least 50% to 60% (Including vocational subjects too) in the 10+2 exam as equivalent in any stream.
- Candidates having a diploma degree after Matric qualification are also eligible.
- Candidates having level 3 certification by NSQF along with Matric qualifications alone are also eligible.
BVoc Entrance Exams
Some of the entrance exams for admission into B.Voc courses in the desired institutes are mentioned below:
- CUSAT CAT 2021: CUSAT CAT stands for Cochin University of Science and Technology Common Admission Test. This entrance is being conducted by the Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) for admitting candidates into a variety of courses including BVoc
- MHT CET 2021: MHT CET stands for Maharashtra Health and Technical Common Entrance Test. This entrance exam is being conducted by Maharashtra State Common Entrance Test Cell for admitting candidates into a variety of courses including BVoc
- IPU CET 2021: IPU CET stands for Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test (IPU CET). This entrance exam is administered by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University every year for admitting candidates into plenty of courses offered by them.
- CUCET 2021: CUCET stands for Central Universities Common Entrance Test. It is a national level entrance test that admits students into the UG/PG/Doctoral courses in various central universities.
- AMUEEE 2021: AMUEE stands for Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Examination. It is being administered by Aligarh Muslim University at the national level towards admission to UG/PG/Doctoral level programs.
|Exam Name||Application Period*||Exam Date*||Exam Mode|
|CUSAT CAT 2020||Released on January 8, 2020||July 27 & 28, 2020||Online|
|MHT-CET 2020||May 26, 2020 - June 1, 2020||July 4, 2020 - July 31, 2020, and August 3, 2020 - July 5, 2020||Online|
|IPU CET 2020||March 3, 2020 - June 30, 2020||Not announced till date||Online|
|CUCET 2020||March 16, 2020 - June 6, 2020||Not announced till date||Offline|
|AMUEEE 2020||February 22, 2020 - February 29, 2020||Not announced till date||Offline|
Application period and exam dates are tentative and might get changed because of the current COVID pandemic across the globe.
How does one prepare for the Bachelor of Vocation course entrance exams?
- The syllabus and patterns of the exams may differ. So knowing the syllabus and the subject weightage of the particular exam is necessary. The syllabus of most of the exams usually include questions from subjects like physics, chemistry, biology, mathematics, quantitative aptitude, and vocational subjects depending on the test major selected.
- For Quantitative aptitude, try to increase the speed with accuracy. As quants are the most time taking section and working properly on this, it can save a lot of time in the examination.
- For all the subjects like Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and Mathematics, CBSE and ICSE level questions should be prepared.
- For Mathematics subjects alone, separate time and special care should be taken since it has more weightage.
How to Get Admission in a Good BVoc College?
- All institutes have different requirements. So whatever may be the admission criteria, the first focus should be to perform well in class XII examination.
- Once the candidate is eligible, getting a direct admission would be easy for the candidates with above-average scores.
- Even preparing for the entrance exam would be easy if you have studied properly in class 12th, since the questions would be of class 12th level.
- Of course, extra preparation is also required. So once you are done with your class 12th examination. Put your whole focus in preparing for the entrance exam. Utiliza whatever time you have.
- Along with that keep searching for the best college in the field you want to apply and prepare accordingly.
Bachelor of Vocation Studies: What is it about?
- B.Voc. is usually a skill development program that includes extensive training and hands-on experience in a particular field.
- This program is specially curated for the benefit of the students who wish to enrich their skills and expertise towards a decent salaried job.
- The course is suitable for candidates who want to go for a job immediately after completing their studies.
- The program has multiple entries and multiple exit points where the candidates can pursue a specialized course for 6 months, 1 year, and 2 years. And they will be awarded a certificate, diploma, and Advanced diploma in that pursued specialized course
- Internship sessions are mandated in many institutions by collaborating with many top industries like Ashok Leyland for automobile specialized BVoc courses.
- Real-time practical applications are given to students, to sharpen their practical skills in the desired applications. They get well trained with good skills, expertise, and practical knowledge concerning taken up courses.
Bachelor of Vocational Studies: Course Highlights
A brief information on B.Voc has been mentioned in the table below:
|Course Level||UG (Diploma or Advanced Diploma in case of earlier exit from the program)|
|Full-Form||Bachelor of Vocational Studies|
|Duration||3 Years (Multiple entries and multiple exits in the program make it 6 months to 3 years long)|
|Examination type||Semester wise course|
|Eligibility||10+2/Allied diploma/3rd level of NSQF|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or entrance-based|
|Course Fee||Around INR 2 Lakhs depending upon the entry into the program and exit from the program|
|Average Salary||Around INR 4 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Mahindra & Mahindra, Nestle, Dabur India Ltd., Ashok Leyland, Parle Products Pvt. Ltd, Volkswagen, Yamaha, Maruti Suzuki, Audi, and many more.|
|Top Recruiting arenas||The technical service sector, commercial industries, entertainment, IT sector, and many more.|
|Job Positions||Technical Expert, accountant, beautician, stage/theatre expert, Photo technician, Computer operator, and many more.|
Why should we take the Bachelor of Vocational Studies?
Bachelor of Vocation has seen hike among the students because of the following reasons:
- Practical knowledge enrichment: The course includes Internships and real practices with industrial applications that help the students enhance their practical knowledge.
- Wide options of Industries: After a degree of Vocation, the candidates can get placed in a variety of industries like the Technical service sector, commercial industries (Especially the Automobile sector), entertainment, IT sector, and many more.
- Good salary package: Since the candidates become technically sound and expertise in their field, a good salary package might be expected from the jobs arising out of it.
- Reduced duration: When compared to regular degree programs, the duration of Bachelor of Vocation is lesser. Also, the skills exposed are vast than regular degree programs.
- The flexibility of the program: The candidates can pursue the course for 6 months, 1 year, 2-year, and 3-year.
After completion of class XII, the students need to choose a program that may help them to shape a career. For an undergraduate program, candidates can choose a Bachelor's degree program in arts, science, management, etc or they can choose to do a Vocational course in areas like arts, science, management, etc.
Both these degrees may be available in the discipline the candidate wants to pursue their studies, but there are a few differences that can be found below:
Check for the top Degree Colleges in India.
|Parameters||Bachelors in Vocational Studies||Normal Bachelor Degrees|
|Overview||The main focus of this program is to provide training and help the individual gain expertise for a specific trade or career. After completion of the course, the students usually work in a specific field.||The main focus of this program is to develop an individual’s all-round intelligence and critical thinking skills. This may not prepare the student for a specific job.|
|Degrees awarded||BVoc (on completing the course of 3 years) Advanced diploma (On completing 2 years of the course) Diploma (On completing 1 year of the course) Certificate (On completing 1 year of the course)||BSc/ BSc (Hons), BA/ BA (Hons), B.Tech, BCom, BBA, etc.|
|Area of study||Technical, Medical, Educational, Business, Media, etc||Engineering, Science, Arts, Business, Media communication, etc.|
|Eligibility||Pass in 10+2/Diploma with matric/NSQF 3rd level with matric||60 % in 10+2 exam from a recognized institution in India|
|Duration||3 Years (Multiple entries and multiple exit programs, 6 months to 3 years). This makes the program quite flexible.||3 to 4 Years (The program cannot be completed before 3-4 years)|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or entrance-based.||Merit-based or entrance-based or management quota-based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,000 - 3,00,000||INR 20,000 - 4,00,000|
|Examination Type||Semester wise Vocational Course.||Semester wise regular Course.|
|The outcome of the program||The individuals are eligible to go for jobs in a specific field.||The individuals are eligible to do jobs in various fields and also choose to go for higher studies.|
|Job Roles||Technical Expert, accountant, beautician, stage/theatre expert, Photo technician, Computer operator, etc.||Database Administrator, Automobile Engineer, Network admin, Data Scientist, IT manager, etc.|
|Average Salary||Around 2 lakhs to 6 lakhs per annum depending upon the expertise.||Around 8 lakhs per annum depending upon the course taken.|
Plenty of specializations are offered under BVoc courses since it is a multidisciplinary program. BVoc in Software Development and B.Voc in Automobiles are some of the most common specializations that are opted by students. Some of the major specializations offered by top BVoc institutions are:
BVoc in Mobile Phone Development: It trains the students thoroughly on the overall basic computer principles including software development.
|Average Fees||Around INR 2,50,000|
|Average Salary||Around INR 3,50,000 per annum|
BVoc in Aircraft Maintenance: It gives the candidates expertise with the various overhaul/maintenance operations pertaining to the aircraft.
|Average Fees||Around INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||Around INR 3,00,000 per annum|
BVoc in Financial Services: It trains the candidates in managing the assets and thus renders services towards it.
|Average Fees||Around INR 6,000|
|Average Salary||Around INR 2,32,000 per annum|
BVoc in Food Processing Technology: It trains the candidates on the various food processing methodologies available in India.
|Average Fees||Around INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||Around INR 3,00,000 per annum|
BVoc in Journalism & Media Management: It deals with the vocational subjects pertaining to journalism and media management to acquire practical expertise.
|Average Fees||Around INR 1,20,000|
|Average Salary||Around INR 3,30,000 per annum|
BVoc Top Colleges
Below are some of the top governmental and private institutions providing BVoc in India, ranked on the basis of NIRF 2019 Ranking released by MHRD of India as follows:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College/University Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement in INR|
|48||University of Kashmir?||Srinagar||INR 8,000||-|
|53||Bharathidasan University (BDU)||Tiruchirappalli||INR 27,000||INR 1,20,000|
|62||Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT)||Kochi||-||INR 3,50,000|
|69||Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University (BAMU)||Aurangabad||INR 14,500||INR 1,75,000|
|-||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science (HITS)||Chennai||INR 2,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|-||Jagannath Institute of Management Sciences - [JIMS]||New Delhi||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,30,000|
|-||Quantum University||Roorkee||INR 60,000||INR 4,00,000|
|-||Vinayaka Missions Sikkim University - [VMSU]||Gangtok||INR 31,000||-|
|-||Parul University||Vadodara||INR 60,000||INR 3,20,000|
Check the full list of top Vocational Colleges in India.
Three governmental institutions offering BVoc specialized courses in India are compared below as follows:
|Parameters||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science (HITS)||University of Kashmir||Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT)|
|Overview||Hindustan Institute of Technology and Science (HITS) is a deemed university that offers various UG, PG, integrated, diploma, and doctorate courses in the field of Engineering, science, commerce, management, and arts.||University of Kashmir is a governmental institute in Srinagar and it offers UG, PG, doctorate, and certificate courses in various courses.||Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT) is a state university that aims at promoting and prosecuting research in applied science, technology, social science, management, commerce, etc.|
|Outlook Ranking 2019 Rank||83||69||72|
|Eligibility||Pass in 10+2/Diploma with matric/NSQF 3rd level with matric||Pass in 10+2/Diploma with matric/NSQF 3rd level with matric||Pass in 10+2/Diploma with matric/NSQF 3rd level with matric|
|Admission Process||Merit-based||Merit-based||Entrance-based followed by Counselling|
|Average Fees||INR 2,00,000||INR 8,000||-|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3,00,000 per annum||-||INR 3,50,000 per annum|
|Top Recruiting companies||Amazon, Accenture, IBM, HCL, L&T, Tech Mahindra, MRF, etc.||HCL, Tata Consultancy Services, Amul, etc.||Cognizant, Accenture, Microsoft, Oracle, Amazon, Thomas Cook, etc.|
Below are the common topics included in the B.Voc courses. There may be more subjects related to the specialization the student chooses.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Effective English Skills||Effective English Skills|
|Effective Hindi/ French Skills||Effective Hindi/ French Skills|
|Human Rights||Environmental Studies|
|Indian Culture & Philosophy||Innovations in Science|
|Computer Basics & Networking||DBMS/ SQL|
|C++ Programming||Advanced Excel|
|Financial Maths & Accounting||Java Programming|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Media Studies & Cinema||Media Studies & Cinema|
|Social Analysis||Social Analysis|
|Economic Analysis||Economic Analysis|
|Giving Voice to Value||Political Analysis|
|HTML & CSS||PHP & MySQL|
|Coreldraw/ Photoshop||Animation using Maya/ other Software|
|Advanced SQL with Oracle||Open Source Platforma (Linux, RoR)|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Popular Culture||Popular Culture|
|Political Analysis||Business Ethics|
|Psychology||Principles of Financial Accounting|
|Software Testing||DOTNET Technologies|
|SAP - I||SAP - II|
Few common books pertaining to BVoc in real estate management are discussed in the below table.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Business Communication||Lesikar and Petit, McGraw-Hill|
|Financial Accounts||Ashok Banerjee|
|Accounting Principles||R.N. Anthony, J.S. Reece, and Richard Irwin|
|Practical Handbook for Consumers||Agarwal and Anju D|
|Statistics of Management||Richard Levin and David S. Rubin|
|GST Goods & Service tax||LVR Prasad & GJ Kiran Kumar|
|Dynamics of Entrepreneurial Development Management||Vasant Desai|
BVoc Job Prospects and Career Options
- This type of Bachelor Vocational degree courses in India was initiated by UGC in 2014 in its efforts to promote and enhance skill development along with practical knowledge and expertise.
- These courses are of shorter duration, effective and affordable courses rather than the regular courses. After completion of the course, the individuals are ready to take up jobs in the field of their study.
- The average salary after vocational studies is expected to be around INR 4 lakhs per annum.
Few of the feasible jobs available after completion of vocational courses are mentioned below:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Food Processing officer||They take care of the various food processing methodologies available in the food industry in order to promote the production of healthier foods.||INR 5 lakhs per annum|
|Computer Operator||Their work is to solve the problems arising with the software and hardware of computers and to do servicing of computers..||INR 3 lakhs per annum|
|Accountant||They do cash-related transactions including the debits and credits will be administered.||INR 2.5 lakhs per annum|
|Automobile Engineer||He is responsible for research and development in OEM based on the inputs received from Customers.||INR 6 lakhs per annum|
|Professor||He is responsible for sophisticated subjects taught in any discipline of study and he leads the department if he acquires certain academic targets||INR 10 lakhs per annum|
A salary trend graph is plotted below for better comprehension.
BVoc Future Scope
There is more scope for the BVoc course nowadays because the demand for skills and expertise is quite high in every field. Some of the future scopes of BVoc course are as follows:
- Scope for Higher studies: Vocational courses are not only available for UG category but also for the PG category as well. Thus, students can gain higher studies in Master of Vocational courses.
- Not all companies are capable of conducting training, therefore there are various industries that are in search of skilled people. So the job market is always welcoming them.
- Scope in R&D: Since the skills and expertise are concentrated at the core in all the BVoc courses, the future opportunities are wide open in the arena of Research and Development under the aegis in a variety of industries.
- Multiple entries and multiple exit design: Since all the BVoc programs are designed with multiple entries and exits, these programs give flexibility to the candidates. The students are awarded with a diploma or certificate or advanced diploma. This allows the candidate to discontinue their education because of economical reasons or any other personal commitments after completing the predefined period of study. The diploma and advanced diploma degrees are also sufficient to provide jobs to the candidates in a particular field.
Ques. What does BVoc stand for?
Ques. Which disciplines come under these BVoc Courses?
Ques. What is the significance of taking BVoc courses in India?
Ques. What are the top governmental institutions that offer these kinds of BVoc?
Ques. What does it mean by saying multiple entries and multiple exit points when mentioning BVoc courses?
Ques. Is it possible to pursue master vocational courses after the regular course?
Ques. What is the top paying job after BVoc?
Ques. When will the CUSAT CAT 2020 entrance exam take place?
Ques. When will the CET 2020 entrance exam take place?
Ques. Whether the admissions to BVoc got affected because of the current COVID pandemic across the nation?