What is Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Diploma in Accounting and Finance is a 1-year long diploma course for those students who have passed their 10+2 examinations and had Mathematics as one of the compulsory subjects. This particular course equips a candidate with a diploma degree in Accounting and Finance. It is more of a professional course rather than an academic one.
Go through the full list of top Diploma in Accounting and Finance Colleges in India.
Any students who have cleared their 10+2 exams from any school duly recognised by the Indian Government are eligible to apply for this course. Most of the colleges ask for a minimum of 50% marks to be eligible.
The Admission to this course is mainly merit-based, but many top colleges also conduct their own entrance exam for admission to Diploma in Accounting and Finance courses.
The subjects under Diploma in Accounting and Finance include Fundamentals of Accounts and Finance, Indian Banking System, Use of Technology in Accountancy and Finance, Accounting and Audit Practice, etc.
Following is a list of top 5 colleges in India offering Diploma in Accounting and Finance courses with their average fees.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||College||Admission Process||Annual Average Fees||Average Placement Package|
|37||Amity University, Noida||Entrance Based||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
|58||Pondicherry University, Pondicherry||Entrance Based||INR 26,000||INR 2,50,000|
|151-200||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Vadodara||Merit Based||INR 13,160||INR 2,50,000|
|NP||GD Goenka University, Gurugram||Goenka Aptitude Test (GATA)||INR 70,000||INR 3,50,000|
|NP||NIIT, Rohtak||Entrance Based||INR 42,000||INR 5,45,000|
The average annual fees for Diploma in Accounting and Finance ranges between INR 10,000 to INR 5,00,000, depending on the institute providing this course.
After completing the course, Diploma in Accounting and Finance candidates will get jobs in roles like Book-Keeping Clerk, Billing Clerk, Tax Accountant, Financial Advisors, Financial Assistant & Accountant, Business Consultant, Chief Financial Officer, Certified Public Accountant, Finance Managers, etc.
Students holding this degree can draw a starting salary between INR 3,00,000 - 6,00,000. They get placed in top recruiting companies like market research firms, public accounting firms, corporations, consultancy services, research organisations, accountancy firms, etc.
What is the Admission Process for Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
The admission process of the Diploma in Accounting and Finance course is mainly based on the marks obtained in 10+2. Some of the important points related to admission to this course are discussed below.
- Generally, for this course, there is no such process of a common entrance exam. However, different colleges may hold their entrance level examinations.
- For availing admission to the course, one has to visit the website of the college or visit the college’s campus for more information.
- If you clear the cutoff, you will be called for an interview most times. Some colleges provide direct admission without an interview.
- Merit lists are announced shortly after application forms are filled.
- Some of the colleges test the general aptitude of the students to give them admission.
- General Aptitude Test may include a group discussion and an interview with college officials.
- In the case of entrance exams, the students who clear the cutoff will be called in for interviews.
- If selected, the student can then go to the allotted college for submission.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
The candidates seeking admission to Diploma in Accounting and Finance course must qualify certain minimum eligibility criteria, some of which are mentioned below.
- A candidate must have passed their 10+2 or any other equivalent examination from a recognised educational institution to deem eligible for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance course.
- They also must have Mathematics as one of their compulsory subjects in their high school level qualifying examination to attain eligibility for this particular course.
- The percentage of marks required for admission can vary from one college to another.
Is There Any Entrance Exam for Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Since the admission process is mainly merit-based for this particular course of Diploma in Accounting and Finance, there is no such common entrance exam held for the admission of a candidate. Some colleges conduct aptitude tests.
Some University based entrance exams for this course are discussed below.
- GATA - Goenka Aptitude for Admission it is the entrance exam held by GD Goenka University for admissions into both graduate and undergraduate courses.
- MP-VYAPAM-DAHET - MP Vyapam Animal Husbandry Entrance exam is an entrance exam for admission into diploma courses offered by governmental institutions.
- AP-DEECET - Andhra Pradesh Diploma in Elementary Education Common Entrance Test is conducted for students who want to pursue a diploma in education in government institutes in Andhra Pradesh.
|Name of Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Modes|
|GATA||Yet to be announced||Yet to be announced||offline|
|MP-VYAPAM DAHET||April 13, 2020- April 20,2020||July 4, 2020||online|
|AP-DEECET||May 21,2020-June 10, 2020||June 23-24, 2020||online|
How can We Prepare for a Diploma in Accounting and Finance Entrance Exams?
The entrance exams for Diploma in Accounting and Finance would consist of Analytical and Logical Reasoning, Mathematics, English Language, General Knowledge, Scientific Knowledge.
Some of the important preparation tips are discussed below.
- Study these topics well before the exam.
- It is best to be thorough in the topics being covered.
- Try practising by solving previous years papers and mock tests to analyse your improvement and prepare yourself for the actual exam.
- Solving as many papers can help you gain speed and accuracy.
- Finish preparation well in advance, so you get enough time for revision of the content.
- The most important thing is to remain calm yet determined while carrying out your preparations and while attempting the exam.
Types of questions asked for Diploma in Accounting and Finance Entrance Exams?
Having a proper knowledge of the type of questions is important to prosper in the Diploma in Accounting and Finance Entrance Exams. Some important points related to types of questions are discussed below.
- The questions asked are usually ones that test the candidates' aptitude.
- The questions are mostly about reasoning, general knowledge, English, quantitative skills, etc.
- Some entrance exams lay weight on the quantitative section. So it is best to gain a lot of practice in mathematics.
- The sections may vary with each entrance exam.
- The questions are usually multiple-choice questions. Some exams may have items that require written answers.
Points to remember while attempting Diploma in Accounting and Finance exam
Some quick tips to crack Diploma in Accounting and Finance Entrance Exams are discussed below.
- Try to solve the numerical problems at the end of the test. It may help save time.
- Try to be quick and efficient while answering questions.
- Do not leave any question unanswered.
- Remain calm while attempting all the questions and retain your focus
- Thoroughly read the questions before you try to answer them. This will be particularly useful while attempting MCQs.
How to get admission to a top Diploma in Accounting and Finance College?
Getting admission in top Diploma in Finance and Accounting Colleges require good marks and high performance in the interview. Some ways of getting admission to good colleges are discussed below.
- To get admission for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance course, the student must score well in their 10+2 or equivalent examination. This is because the entry mainly depends on merit, and no such entrance exam is held.
- Colleges keep their respective cutoff marks for the selection process. It is mostly above 60%.
- The students also must have Mathematics as one of their compulsory subjects in their 10+2 level exams or equivalent exams.
- In case the college being applied to is holding their entrance exam, students must need to clear it to gain admission for this course.
- Most of the colleges have application forms available online on their respective website. Make sure the application form for the site is filled in time.
- Keep track of the admission process of the college in which you have applied for admission.
Diploma in Accounting and Finance: What is it About?
Diploma in Accounting and Finance involves the study of everything related to financial systems and accounting processes. Here is what a Diploma in Accounting and Finance actually is.
- The Diploma in Accounting and Finance is a short term diploma course in Accounting and Finance which is stretched over a term duration of 1 year.
- It is for those students who are interested in studying accounts and finance after their 10+2 or equivalent examinations.
- This course aims at imparting practical and theoretical knowledge in the particular field of study.
- The course lays down the base-level foundation of subjects, which are related to banking and finance and helps them to get a good grasp of this subject in general.
- The main goal of this course is to make the students employable for different job positions shortly.
- The Diploma in Accounting and Finance course makes the student aware of various accounting and financial management policies.
- It helps them to learn how to use accounting software in business and the usage of different financial services.
Why Study Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Studying Diploma in Accounting and Finance can have major benefits, some of which are discussed below.
- Since finance and banking sectors are gaining a significant boost in India in recent times, students are opting for the Diploma in Accounting and Finance as their post-high school level studies to get a better kickstart at their future careers.
- This diploma course imparts practical and theoretical knowledge to the students on the particular field of study and makes them skilled enough to be deemed employable.
- This course makes the student skilled on policies of accounting and financial management and helps them develop the necessary skills required in the world of business.
- It also helps the students learn how to use financial services and accounting software in the business.
- A candidate also has the opportunity to pursue other degrees like B.Com, M.Com, etc., once they complete their Diploma in Accounting and Finance. This may work as an extra advantage.
Diploma in Accounting and Finance Course Highlights
Diploma in Accounting and Finance has several outstanding features; here are some of them highlighted:
|Examination Type||Both Annual and Semester|
|Eligibility||10+2 or equivalent examination|
|Admission Process||Merit-based/Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 - 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Market Research Firms, Public Accounting Firms, Corporations, Consultancy Services, Research Organisations, Accountancy Firms, etc.|
Course Comparison: Diploma in Accounting and Finance Vs BCom
While Diploma in Accounting and Finance is a Diploma course in the field of Accounting, BCom is a popular Bachelor Degree course involving a similar field of study. The differences between the two courses are highlighted in the table.
|Parameters||Diploma in Accounting and Finance||BCom|
|Degree type||Diploma||Bachelors in Commerce|
|Overview||This course involves the subjects like Fundamentals of Accounting, Accounting and Audit Practice, Capital Market, Indian Banking System, Tally ERP -9.0, Economics & Finance Introduction, etc.||This course involves the study of Accounts, Maths, Economics, IT, Company Law, Marketing, Banking & Financial systems, Tax, etc.|
|Eligibility||Eligibility - 10+2 or equivalent examination from any recognised educational institute with Maths as a compulsory subject||10+2 from any recognised educational board with Maths and English as core subjects|
|Colleges and Universities||GD Goenka Academy, IIMT Group of Colleges, Shri Bhausaheb Vartak Arts, Commerce And Science College, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda.||Loyola College, St.Xaviers’ college, St.Josephs’ college, Madras Christian College, Hindu College.|
|Average Fees||INR 10,000 - 5,00,000||INR 10,000 - 1,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3,00,000 - 6,00,000||INR 2,00,000 - 5,00,000|
Go through the list of top BCom colleges in India.
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges for Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
The name of some top institutes is listed below along with their Location and Average Annual Fees are listed below.
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees||Average Salary Package|
|GD Goenka Academy||Gurgaon||INR 70,000||INR 3,50,000|
|IIMT Group of Colleges||Greater Noida||INR 21,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Shri Bhausaheb Vartak Arts, Commerce And Science College||Mumbai||INR 34,540||INR 3,00,000|
|The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda||Vadodara||INR 13,160||INR 2,50,000|
|NIIT||Rohtak||INR 42,000||INR 5,45,000|
|Madhya Pradesh Bhoj Open University||Bhopal||INR 5,040||INR 2,50,000|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1,20,000||INR 3,50,000|
|AKB Institute of Finance and Management||Faridabad||INR 20,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Pondicherry University||Pondicherry||INR 26,000||INR 2,50,000|
Source: College Websites
Diploma in Accounting and Finance College Comparison
Here is a comparison of the top colleges offering Diploma in Accounting and Finance:
|Parameters||GD Goenka Academy||IIMT Group of Colleges||Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda|
|Overview||GD Goenka University is one of the top-ranked private universities in Delhi. The institute was established in 2013. It is approved by UGC, NCTE, COA, PCI and BCI. The university offers various Diploma, PG, UG, Integrated and Doctoral Programs in multiple disciplines.||It is one of the best colleges in UP. It was established in 1998. The college is approved by PCI and BCI. It offers various UG, PG and Diploma courses across various fields like Engineering, Polytechnic, Business Administration, Pharmacy, Law, Mass Comm., Computer Applications, Commerce.||This University is accredited by NAAC with an A grade. It offers 78 PG, 76 PhD, 34 PG Diploma and 88 UG courses across 347 programs in 92 subjects like Arts, Commerce, Education & Psychology, Family & Community Science, Fine Arts, Journalism & Communication, Law, Management Studies, Medicine, Performing Arts, Social Work, Technology & Engineering, Pharmaceutical Studies etc.|
|Rank||120 (Outlook 2019)||90 (The WEEK 2019)||151-200 (NIRF 2020)|
|Admission process||Entrance- exam based||Merit-based||Merit-based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 70,000||INR 21,000||INR 34,540|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,50,000||INR 2,50,000|
|Top recruiters||IBM, Lutron, Boston Analytics and other top-level MNCs||Adobe, BYJU’s, topper, HSBC, Infosys, Berger, Ashok Leyland, IBM, HDFC Bank, Wipro and many other companies||Wipro, HDFC Bank, TCS, L&T Infotech, ICICI Bank, NIIT and many more companies|
Source: College Websites
Can Diploma in Accounting and Finance be Pursued Through Distance Education?
Distance learning for a diploma in Accounting and Finance is very rare. But, there is one college which provides this course through distance mode, which is discussed below.
- The Institute of Professional Accountants (IPA), Delhi does offer distance learning for accounting courses.
- The diploma courses offered here have a duration that varies from 6- 12 months.
- The minimum eligibility is 10+2 in any discipline with 50 percent aggregate.
- The IPA conducts periodical exams. A Diploma certificate is awarded after passing the examination.
Which Subjects are Taught in Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Diploma in Accounting and Finance includes all the major subjects related to Financial Systems and Accounting Processes. The complete Semester Wise breakup of the syllabus is given in the table below.
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Fundamentals of Accounting||Indian Financial System|
|Accounting and Audit Practice||Loans and Advances|
|Capital Market||Financial Risk Management|
|Indian Banking System||Commercial & Industrial Law|
|Tally ERP -9.0||Taxation|
|Economics & Finance Introduction||Management Skills|
Which are the Important Books for Diploma in Accounting and Finance
Some of the best books that are referred for a diploma in accounting and finance are as follows:
|Name of the book||Author|
|Management Accounting||N.S Malik|
|Auditing and Assurance||Sanjib Kumar Basu|
|Technical Analysis of Financial Markets||John J.Murphy|
|Introduction to Financial Accounting||Annand and Marchand|
|Accounting Principles: A business perspective||Hermanson, Edwards, Maher|
Which Jobs and Salary Trends are Available for Diploma in Accounting and Finance Candidates?
A student pursuing Diploma in. Accounting and Finance has a wide range of career prospects and scopes. Some of the jobs and Salary Trends are discussed below.
- A student earning a degree in the Diploma of Accounting and Finance course can work in various market research firms, public accounting firms, corporations, consultancy services, research organisations, accountancy firms, banking organisations, financial firms etc. after the completion of the entire course.
- He/she can work as book-keeping clerk, billing clerk, tax accountant, financial advisors, financial assistant & accountant, financial consultant, Chief Financial Officer, Certified Public Accountant, finance managers, etc.
- With this degree, he/she can score government and private sector jobs in companies like market research firms, public accounting firms, corporations, consultancy services, research organisations, accountancy firms, etc.
- Companies like Hedge, Wipro Limited, ITC Limited, HPCL, Bharat Electronics, Tato Motors hire those candidates who have a diploma in accounting and finance.
- They can gain employment under several different job profiles.
The various job profiles, along with their respective descriptions and the annual average salary is given below.
|Job Profile||Job description||Average salary|
|Book-keeping Clerk||The main responsibilities of Book-keeping Clerk include providing financial and administrative support to the organisation and supporting related financial operations||INR 3,20,000|
|Billing Clerk||The responsibilities of Billing Clerk include Generating invoices and bills, maintaining the invoice and bill records, generating account statements.||INR 3,00,000|
|Tax Accountant||Tax Accountants work for understanding tax structure, handling financial records, taxes of any organisation and preparing tax returns.||INR 4,00,000|
|Cost Accountant||The responsibilities of Cost Accountants include taking care of the entire incurred cost in manufacturing of any product and all the costs related to the firm.||INR 5,00,000|
|Financial Advisor||The responsibility of Financial Advisor includes advising the company or firm on the various financial growth related issues. They need to chart out the ways through which the financial conditions of the organisation can be improved.||INR 8,00,000|
|Business Consultant||Business Consultant mainly works as an advisor who provides advice on various sides of a business including the financial side.||INR 6,00,000|
|Finance Manager||Finance manager is responsible for handling all the finance related issues of the organisation including releasing expenses, managing the investment, keep track of the total financial outcome, etc.||INR 5,50,000|
|Financial Assistant||Financial Assistant assists the finance managers and chief finance officers in handling the financial issues of an organisation properly.||INR 4,75,000|
Salary Trend Graph
What is the Future Scope After Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Since Diploma in Accounting and Finance is a diploma course, there are many higher study options and future scope after this course. Some of them are discussed below.
- After the completion of the Diploma in Accounting and Finance degree, students can also opt for various other degrees like B.Com, M.Com. etc. This will work to their advantage in future.
- B.Com is a 3-year undergraduate course which basically is the study of the principles of accounting and finance. M.Com is nothing but the Postgraduate level extension of the B.Com degree.
- Students who have already achieved a Diploma degree in Accounting and Finance are also eligible to complete their undergraduate and postgraduate level courses in B.Com and M.com respectively.
- The candidate can also take up higher education and study for the job of a Chartered Accountant which will garner them almost 7-9 Lacs INR annually.
- This is really a great prospect which comes with pursuing higher-level degrees further after successful completion of the Diploma in Accounting and Finance course.
- There are a lot of diplomas under the field of Diploma in Accounting and Finance as well. Some of these are Diploma in Accounting and Taxation, Diploma in Financial Management etc.
- These are sort of specialisations under the Diploma in Accounting and Management itself and students can earn their degrees in these particular streams.
Diploma in Accounting and Finance FAQs
Some of the common Frequently Asked Questions for Diploma in Accounting and Finance course are given below.
Ques. Is there enough career opportunities in this field?
Ans. Yes, with a Diploma in Accounting and finance, you can get recruited in jobs like market research firms, public accounting firms, corporations, consultancy services, research organisations, accountancy firms, etc. You will be able to work in positions such as book-keeping clerk, billing clerk, tax accountant, financial advisors, financial assistant & accountant, financial consultant, Chief Financial Officer, Certified Public Accountant, finance managers, etc. if you succeed in getting your Diploma degree in this particular field.
Ques. Am I on the right track doing this course?
Ans. You most definitely are. The professionals from the industry of accounting and finance have structured the course design in such a way that it makes the students highly employable and proficient in their respective field of study. Along with theoretical knowledge, the emphasis is laid down on practical learning as well. It is a short term course which will make you skilled enough to score jobs in various high-level MNCs and banking institutions.
Ques. Am I getting enough by studying this course?
Ans. You certainly are. You will get a considerable amount of important notes and print-outs from the professors. You will be trained in an industry-oriented manner with practical based knowledge. Not just this, there will be doubt clearing sessions and regular tests to check your progress. All these so that you can be confident in your future career path.
Ques. Am I sure to get placement after completion of this course?
Ans. You most certainly will be placed if you are a degree holder of the Diploma in Accounting and Finance. Various colleges invite a lot of top-notch companies to their campuses to conduct placement programs. Companies like Infosys, IBM, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, BYJU's, etc., frequent the colleges to recruit capable candidates. So you can be tension free as long as placement in a good company is concerned.
Ques. Which institute is the best for a Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Ans. There are a lot of private and public universities all across India that offer this particular course. Some of the top universities offering these courses are GD Goenka Academy, IIMT Group of Colleges, Shri Bhausaheb Vartak Arts, Commerce And Science College, The Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda, Times and Trends Academy, NIIT, Vista Academy, Anuna Education Etc.
Ques. Is doing an internship mandatory for a Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Ans. Internships are not part of the curriculum for Diploma in Accounting and finance. You may do it on your own accord, but it is not a compulsion of the course.
Ques. Do I need to take an entrance exam to apply for this course?
Ans. The admission process of this course mainly depends on merit. Students need to show their 10+2 results or equivalent examinations from a recognised board and have MAthematics as one of their compulsory subjects. Otherwise, entrance exams are not known in this particular course. However, few colleges might hold their own entrance exams. So it really depends on the college you are applying to.
Ques. Can I pursue other degrees after completing the Diploma in Accounting and Finance?
Ans. You definitely can. After you successfully complete this degree, you can pursue other higher degrees like B.Com and M.Com. This will only act to your advantage as far as your job prospects are concerned. You can even opt to study for a Chartered Accountant course, which will secure your future in the long run.
Ques. What is the best short-term course for a Commerce student?
Ans. Vouching for a Diploma in Accounting and Finance might be the best short-term course option for a student of Commerce. It is a 1-year duration course that will equip you with the necessary theoretical and practical knowledge required for employment. You just need to pass your 10+2 exams or equivalent exams from a recognised board and have Mathematics as one of your primary subjects to apply for this diploma course.
Ques. Is it worth getting a Diploma degree in Accounting and Finance?
Ans. Yes, it is worth it. Accounting and financial jobs are in high demand these days, and you can score yourself several job positions in various top-level companies with this degree. The annual salary is excellent and will help you have a healthy bank balance and a stable life in future.
Ques. Is this course valid for jobs?
Ans. Yes, it is, a diploma in accounting and finance does come useful when applying for jobs. There are several job opportunities for those who have completed this course. Job opportunities like book-keeping clerk, billing clerk. Tax accountant, cost accountant, etc. are available for those who have pursued a diploma in accounting and finance. It is just as valid as a BCom degree. You can remain assured of its validity.
Ques. How much is the aggregate mark required to gain merit-based admission for a diploma in accounting and finance?
Ans. Though the cutoff may vary from college -to college. Each college sets a particular aggregate that you have to meet to obtain admission at the college. The desirable total is usually 60%. It is best to maintain a sum above that. Make sure that you have an idea about the aggregate preferred by the college of your choice.