Diploma in Chemical Engineering is a three-year long programme. This course teaches the students about chemicals and raw materials and ways of creating new materials out of existing chemicals.
A 10th standard qualified student with a minimum of 45% in mathematics and science from an recognized board is eligible for enrolling into this course.
There are no entrance exams, PI or GD conducted for availing for admission. The admission process is solely based on the merit list.
Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University, Galgotias University, Mewar University are some of the top colleges that offer Diploma in Chemical Engineering.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering students are also eligible for working as interns in production, research labs and petroleum refineries. The starting salary for chemical engineering diploma holders is INR 1.6 to INR 3 Lakhs per annum whereas the annual fee ranges from INR 3,000 to as much as INR 3 Lakhs.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Course Highlights
|Full form||Diploma in Chemical Engineering|
|Examination type||Semester type|
|Eligibility||Passed 10th standard with 45% in Math & Science|
|Admission process||Merit based admission|
|Average course Fees||INR 3,000 to INR 50,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 1.6 Lacs to 3 lakhs|
|Job Profiles||Analyst, Chemical Engineer, Plant Operator etc.,|
|Top Recruiters||Nagarjuna Agrichem, Sunrise Engineering Solutions, Ministry of Defence, SM AKER Management Services Pvt. Ltd.|
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for the program are as follows:
- Applicants should have qualified their Class Xth examination or its equivalent with a minimum of 45% marks in every subject along with science and mathematics.
- The candidates who are supposed to have studied English as one of their subjects in class Xth are also eligible for admission.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Admission Process
The students who are interested to get into the Diploma in Chemical Engineering course should have cleared the 10th board exams with at-least 45% marks or above in Maths, Science and also English.
- The admission process is totally based on the Merit of the candidate.
- Every college releases their own merit list cut off marks.
- Candidates can apply through the online or offline mode through the official website of the respective college.
- All the important details regarding dates, admission and of the names of shortlisted candidates will be notified on the website through the website and through and mail.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: What is it about?
Diploma in chemical engineering is one of the choices available in the numerous engineering diplomas available in the country and as the name suggests this diploma deals with teaching the basics of Chemical Engineering.
- It is a 3-year long course with 2 semesters each semester.
- It involves teaching about physical sciences and chemical sciences just like microbiology, biochemistry and biology applying together.
- This academic course's main goal is application of chemical sciences in various streams of industry where in the conversion from raw materials to newer transformed products take place.
- It is a comprehensive study of applying mathematics and economic calculations to analyse the possibilities in regulating the sector and developing refined products.
- Its curriculum covers applied chemistry, thermodynamics, chemical technology, heat transfer and much more giving a broader perspective to the field of students.
After finishing the course, the students can enter into production, research laboratories, analysts, petroleum refineries etc. Students who get a diploma in chemical engineering can also enrol into the second year of the respective engineering branch after writing an entrance exam for the same.
Why study Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Chemical engineering has a very good scope in the future because it is one of the few branches that bridges the gap between physics and chemistry. Diploma level of engineering teaches all the basics of the engineering branch.
- It teaches applying physics, chemical sciences and biological sciences together.
- The course contains study of conversion of raw materials into newer products and insights into industries that work on this.
- Chemical engineering also teaches candidates recycling forms and reformation methods for cleaning chemicals exited out by the industries which is why the branch has a heavy demand in the ever- growing recycling industry.
- It also focuses on communication and innovation which can help opting for lucrative opportunities in the chemical engineering field.
With the above-mentioned statements, a student opting into the field can carry out deeper research into the field and if interested, they can choose the new, budding engineering field in the country.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering vs BSc Biochemistry
Diploma in Chemical Engineering and BSc in Biochemistry are two different types of degrees having quite a few similarities and differences at the same time. so, what makes each of them different from each other and which one is better? The confusion can be cleared upon reading the following table:
|Parameters||Diploma in Chemical Engineering||Bsc Biochemistry|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Focus Area||Focuses on chemicals and products, recycling energy, plant safety, plant maintenance etc.,||Focuses on chemistry of life forms, Bioinformatics, clinical biochemistry etc.,|
|Admission Criteria||Qualify 10th standard with minimum 45%||Qualified 12th standard and qualified entrance exam for Bsc|
|Eligibility Criteria||45% overall and in maths and science of 10th||50% marks in 12th standard|
|Average Course Fees||INR 3,000-INR 50,000||INR 15,000-INR 15,00,000|
|Job Options||Maintenance Technician, Plant Operator,Associate Scientist etc.,||Metabolism Engineers, Genetics Engineer, Molecular Biology Engineers etc|
|Areas of Employment||Labs, Industries, Petroleum Refineries etc.,||Drug Manufacturing Companies, Industrial Laboratories, Agriculture and Fisheries etc.,|
|Average Placement Package||INR 1,60,000-INR 3,00,000||INR3,00,000-INR 5,00,000|
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Top Colleges
The following table contains some of the best colleges for Diploma in Chemical Engineering:
|College Name||Average Fee|
|Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute, Mumbai||INR 36,037|
|GLA University||INR 2.13 Lakhs|
|Babasaheb Ambedkar Technological University||INR 36,310|
|Galgotias University||INR 1.35 Lakhs|
|Government Polytechnic,Punjab||INR 25,000|
|Gujarat Technological University||INR 99,000|
|Mewar University||INR 1.59 Lakhs|
|Sri Prakash College of Engineering||INR 48,000|
|Integral University||INR 1.20 Lakhs|
|Bharati Vidyapeeth University||N/A|
|Swami Vivekananda Institute of Information Technology||INR 1.16 Lakhs|
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Syllabus
The syllabus and structure for Diploma in Chemical Engineering is as follows:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Basic Mathematics||Basic of Computer Systems|
|Chemistry I||Chemistry II|
|Engineering Drawing, I||Engineering Drawing II|
|Physics I||Physics II|
|Applied Mathematics||Communication Skill|
|Developing of life skill||Engineering Mathematics|
|Workshop||Organic and Physical Chemistry|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Strength of Materials||Principles of Stoichiometry|
|Electrical Technology||Applied Mathematics|
|Polymer Chemistry||Basic Electronics|
|Petroleum Refining and Petrochemicals||Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer|
|Technology of Inorganic Chemicals||Material of Construction|
|Mechanical Operations||Technology of Organic Chemicals & Products|
|-||Technologies of Plastics|
|Semester VI||Semester VII|
|Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics||Introduction to Energy System Engineering|
|Chemical Reaction Engineering||Process Instrumentation & Control|
|Elective I||Elective II|
|Stress Management||CADD & Estimation|
|Chemical Engineering Drawing||Mass Transfer|
Note: The subjects and electives may vary from college to college
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Job Profiles
- Though just a diploma level degree, diploma in chemical engineering offers a wide range of career options. Most of them related to production and industry and a few of them in office works too
- The main working of the chemical engineers involve in fields of petro-chemical industries, research laboratories and such where the chemical engineer needs to supervise and guide in the places where the physics of the industry needs a balance with the chemistry the industry runs on.
Here are the most available job profiles for Diploma in Chemical Engineering:
|Job Position||Job Description||Annual Average Salary|
|Maintenance technician||Installation, maintain and repair equipment, carry on troubleshoot, monitor the safety of equipment for use||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000|
|Plant Operator||Controlling equipment generating power, checking voltage and flow of electricity, reading through charts, meters,||INR 1,00,000-2,00,000|
|Market Analyst||Analyzing Market trends, collect data, evaluate the statistics and suggest new measures to upgrade business||INR 4,00,000-INR5,00,000|
|Process Engineer||Designing and developing new process equipment and plants, modify the existing ones and installation of new devices||INR3,00,000-INR4,00,000|
|Associate Scientist||Works at the lab in offices or schools. Assist senior scientist in conducting research and projects||INR5,00,000-INR 6,00,000|
|Field Operator||Setting up systems, operation and troubleshoot machines/equipment. Analyze the blueprints/designs,suggest measures and work in liaison with the team and management||INR1,00,000-INR2,00,000|
|Technical Service Representative||Attend to customer grievances, resolve and help in troubleshooting||INR2,00,000-3,00,000|
|Supervisor||Monitor the activities of subordinates and field engineers, suggest measures and assist staff||INR 2,00,000-3,00,000|
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: Future Scope
- A student who finished a diploma in Chemical engineering can go to further studies and enrol into an engineering course in the second year of it.
- Either do a job in the company they did internship for. They can also use the experience of internship to join other companies for more salary.
- They can join as research fellows in any institution that offers fellowship and even do research in their field.
Diploma in Chemical Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What is Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. Who is eligible to study Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. Is it beneficial to do a Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. What are Career Options after Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. How long is a Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. What are entrance exams for Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. What is the salary Package after Diploma in Chemical Engineering?
Ques. Is Diploma in Chemical Engineering better than BSc Biochemistry?
Ques. Is 45% marks compulsory for admission in diploma in engineering?
Ques. Can I apply for a Diploma in Chemical Engineering even though I do not have all the eligibility criteria?