Diploma in Education (D.ED) is a certified teacher training programme, where candidates are prepared for being able to teach at elementary schools as well as in government schools.
This course is suitable for those who are willing to pursue a recommendable career in the education field and who aspire to learn the art of schooling.
See More: Diploma in Education Admission 2021
Diploma in Education course extends for 2 years, for both full-time as well as distance learning.
Candidates who have secured minimum 50% marks in class 12 become eligible for application of Diploma in Education.
Some of the core subjects studied in the D.ED course are Education in Emerging Indian Society, Educational Psychology, Secondary Education: Issues and Problems and Methods of Teaching.
Know More: Diploma Courses in India
D.Ed: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Diploma in Education (D.ED)|
|Examination type||D.ED examination is taken on an annual basis.|
|Eligibility||Students carrying a minimum 50% weight age of marks at 10+2 level.|
|Course Fee||Average fee ranges from INR 15,000-70,000 per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 2,50,000 per annum|
D.Ed: Admission Process
For admission, candidates are selected on the basis of merit where the selection process is dependent upon the class 12 examination or any entrance exam conducted by the particular institute.
- The admission process starts with the registration part where the candidate needs to fill the basic contact details and then the application form of the exam.
- The application form includes all the educational details, personal details and other relevant documents.
See More: Diploma in Education Top Colleges
D.Ed: Eligibility Criteria
The basic Eligibility criteria for the Diploma course are that the candidate should have passed 12th with any stream/ graduation/post graduation from a recognized institution. A student is eligible for admission in D.ED programme if he/she fulfills the requirement of minimum marks having weightage of 50%.
D.Ed: Entrance Exams
Some of the common entrance exams for the D.Ed course are:
- Maharashtra D Ed CET (Common Entrance Test)- The examination is conducted by Maharashtra State government and it includes various aided and unaided institutes inclusive of private institutes. Examination pattern is MCQ based OMR sheet.
- Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET)- This is a national-level entrance exam conducted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). The examination is held twice a year in the months of July and December.
|Exam name||Exam mode||Registration|
|B.Ed Common Entrance Test Maharashtra (MSCE)||Offline mode Or Online mode||3rd week of August- 1st week of September|
|Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET)||Offline mode||13 January 2021|
How to get Admission in Good D.Ed College?
Interested students can keep the following pointers in mind to get admitted at a college of their choice:
- For getting admission in a good college for D.ED course, aspirant has to fulfill the selection criterion which can be on the basis of merit.
- Later after the exams, candidates should research over the available colleges and courses according to their interest and choice.
D.Ed: Important books to cover
Here is a list of books that students can refer to during entrance exams, interviews and even during the course duration.
|Title of Book||Author Name|
|Human Development||Asha Singh|
|Advanced Educational Psychology||S. Dandapani|
|Child Development||Laura E. Berk|
|Psychological Foundations of Education||W. N. Dandekar|
D.Ed: Why this particular course?
Here are some reasons why should pursue a Diploma in Education course:
- Schools always tend to have a burning need of fresh teachers who are newly graduated as per their present thinking and modernization.
- Process of education has a tremendous effect on the mindsets of students and therefore, it becomes essential for the educational field to welcome teachers who have the ability to understand themselves and also let the students learn about the education process.
- Candidates possessing D.ED as their career option prove to be an imperative asset for the education department of the country.
- D.ED course delivers such aspirants who prove them to be proficient in analyzing the psychological concept of growth and development.
D.Ed: Top Colleges with Fees
|Name of college||Average Annual Fees|
|Geeta Aadarsh College of Education||INR 25,800|
|Bharat College of Education||INR 25,800|
|SGS Tuli College of Education||--|
|Seth Banarasidas College of Education||INR 30,000|
|Lord Krishna College of Education||INR 26,000|
|Millennium College of Education||INR 70,000|
|Rajiv Gandhi College||--|
|Bhabha College of Education||INR 15,000|
|RKDF University||INR 50,000|
|IES College of Education||INR 30,000|
D.Ed: College comparison
We have compared two top most colleges of India- University of Technology and Tantia University under parameters like their location, ranking, placement offers and recruiting companies involved in it.
|College Name||Millennium College of Education, Bhopal||IES College of Education, Bhopal||RKDF University, Bhopal|
|Overview||MCE, Bhopal offers 3 courses in Education stream namely, B.Ed., M.Ed. and Diploma.||The college was established in 1999 and is affiliated by National Council of Teacher Education||RKDF group has offered education since 1995 in the fields of Engineering, Pharmacy, Management, Hotel Management, Education, Homeopathic, Dental and Nursing.|
|Rank||-||It was ranked 1st for value of money by India Today||-|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 70,000||INR 30,000||INR 50,000|
|Placements||Highest Average Salary package shoots up to INR 4, 50,000.||-||Average Salary package starts with INR 2,70,000|
D.Ed: Distance Education
Distance education is basically set up for the students who may not be physically present in the institute at the time of learning. Various colleges and institutes/universities add up a number of students without having to constraint their admissions on the number of seats available.
- For distance learning, various colleges and institutes have started their own learning platforms.
- Diploma in Education also offers a distance learning programme which extends mostly up to 2 years.
- Eligibility: Students carrying a minimum 50% weight age of marks in class 12.
- Some of the subjects taught in the D.Ed distance education course are Education in Emerging Indian Society, Child Development and Learning, Educational Psychology, Curriculum and Pedagogy, Methods of Teaching, Literature and Teacher Identity and School Culture.
D.Ed: Course Syllabus
The D.ED programme facilitates the candidates on captivating the psychology of the students. The syllabus is framed to have a blend of teacher-student interaction. The syllabus covers 2 semesters covering the main concept.
|1.||Education in Emerging Indian Society||Microteaching: 7 Skills, 3 lessons Per Skill|
|2.||Educational Psychology||The teaching of Subject I - 20 lessons|
|3.||Secondary Education: Issues & Problems||The teaching of Subject II - 20 Lessons|
|4.||Information & Communication Technology||Criticism Lessons (Two - One in each method of teaching subject)|
|5.||Methods of Teaching I||The final lesson in Methods of Teaching Major Subject|
|6.||Methods of Teaching II||Work Experience : (Anyone Craft)|
|7.||Subject Specialization||Working with Community & Social Service|
|8.||--||Five Psychology Experiments|
D.Ed: Course Comparison
|Parameters||Diploma in Education||Bachelor of Education|
|Brief Explanation||B.ED stands for Bachelors’ Degree in Education. It is a Bachelors’ degree that facilitates having a degree for teachers at the school.||D.ED stands for Diploma in Education. It provides a Diploma degree to the aspirants. D.ED is a graduation degree that enables the candidates to have a teaching career in government or private schools.|
|Qualification and eligibility||For B.ED, students are supposed to have a graduation degree under Science or Arts stream. They should have a passing of not less than 55% marks for qualifying for the course. B.ED professionals mark a remarkable career for themselves in leading government and private sectors.||For D.ED, students having minimum 50% marks in class 12 become qualified for pursuing the course. D.ED is suitable for those aspirants who don’t wish to have a complete graduation but also aspire for becoming teachers.|
|Fee structure||INR 50,000 to INR 70,000.||INR 15,000 to INR 70,000.|
|Admission process||Merit Based / Entrance test||Merit Based / Entrance test|
Read more: Bachelor of Education
D.Ed: Job Profiles
Being a considerable and an extensive future of education D.ED career propels a demanding future for emerging teachers. The field is described as innovative for learning streams, and hence, vast areas of opportunities open up for D.ED professionals. This field includes career opportunities listed below:
- Home Tutor
- Education Coordinator
- Assistant Professor
- Education Developer
- Article Writer
- Associate Professor
- Teacher and Junior Teacher
- Teacher Assistant
- Record Keeper
- Overseas Educational Consultant
- Divisional Educational Consultant
|Name of Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary in INR|
|Educational Developer||Educational Developers enumerate their portfolio having a collaboration of instructors and academic departments. They intend to have an integrated approach towards human development and organizational effectiveness.||68,000 INR|
|Home Tutor||Home Tutors have a principle way of preparing lesson plans, materials, giving explanations to students and also possess a praising effort.||12,300 INR|
|Secondary School Teacher||Secondary School Teachers have a responsibility of teaching authorized curriculum subjects on a national level to students of ages from 11 years – 19 years.||25,700 INR|
|Education Coordinator||Education Coordinators help in developing and improving the curriculum subjects by using composed feedbacks and their knowledge.||21,500 INR|
|Article Writer||Companies that provide information or services need Article Writers or Content Writers to showcase their service essentials that can be presented and lit before an audience.||16,000 INR|
|Associate Professor||Associate Professors are responsible for teaching seminars, conducting research and supervising students along with binding multiple numbers of knowledge activities.||28,000 INR|
|Assistant Professor||Assistant Professor helps the main Professor in lesson planning, managing course studies and facilitating learning.||43,500 INR|
D.Ed: Future Scope
Diploma in Education aims at providing the students with following traits as their future imperatives.
- Technical and Cognitive skills.
- Hypothetical understanding of tutoring and training.
- Self-instruction delivering appropriateness to candidates’ skills.
- An advanced understanding of the intellectual, social and psychological aspects of teaching.
- A professional foundation in theoretical and practical lessons conducive for effective teaching.
Ques: Is D.ED a degree oriented course?
Ans: D.ED is a certified course undertaken by many institutes, but it is also not considered as an undergraduate course, rather it is a diploma course.
Ques: What would be the cost of the whole programme?
Ans: For Diploma in Education, you can be annually charged anywhere between INR 15,000 to INR 70,000. The charges vary from college to college.
Ques: Are B.ED and D.ED terms to be the same courses?
Ans: B.ED is a 3-year long bachelors’ degree oriented undergraduate course, whereas, D.ED is a diploma course which is 2-year long. Both the courses have different career opportunities, subjects taught and orientation.
Ques: Which course is better – B.ED or D.ED?
Ans: Both the courses have equivalent preferences, but if an individual has prior experience in the education field, then D.ED gets a first inclination. However, if someone wants to do an undergraduate course, B. ED is the first choice.
Ques: Is D.ED a tough course?
Ans: Opting for Diploma in Education totally depends upon the capability of students. Those who wish to enter the education sector and deliver their learning never consider D.ED as a tough course to go through.
Ques: What is the eligibility criteria for Diploma in Education (D.ED)?
Ans: In order to get admission for Diploma in Education (D.ED) an individual is eligible after having a minimum weight age of 50% marks at 10+2 level. There is no specified age limit for pursuing a D.ED course.
Ques: What is the estimated salary after completing Diploma in Education?
Ans: Diploma in Education promises an average salary of INR 1,30,000 to INR 5,00,000 per annum.