Diploma in Electrical Engineering is a 3-year course which is designed to enhance skills. The curriculum is designed in such a way that students get to learn from the basic techniques to higher-level skills. It mainly focuses on the practical application of theoretical knowledge.
The common subjects of this course include Electrical Machines, Elements of Electrical Engineering, Embedded System, Transmission and Distribution, Electrical Installation, etc.
|Diploma in Electrical Engineering Colleges in Mumbai||Diploma in Electrical Engineering Colleges in Hyderabad||Diploma in Electrical Engineering Colleges in Kolkata|
In order to become eligible for this course, a student must have passed class 10th board exams from a recognized state or central board with at least 50% with Science and Mathematics as compulsory subjects. Apart from this, some other requirements might be needed depending on college.
The following table shows some of the top diploma in electrical engineering colleges in India.
|NIRF Engineering Rankings||College Name||Fees||Placements|
|35||Amity University||INR 6,00,000||INR 2,00,000|
|105||VJTI||INR 35,679||INR 3,10,000|
|117||Chandigarh University||INR 5,00,000||INR 3,20,000|
|125||Lovely Professional University||INR 1,06,000||INR 4,50,000|
|200+||BFIT Group of Institutions||INR 1,05,000||INR 3,00,000|
The average fee for this course varies between INR 50,000 to 1,50,000. There are numerous job opportunities for a student who has completed a Diploma in Electrical Engineering. Some of the job roles include - Electrical design engineer, Transform design engineer, Field application engineer, Technical trainer, Verification engineer, CAD engineer, etc.
After pursuing this course, one can expect a maximum salary of INR 2.2 lakh/annum for the position of CAD Engineer. The average salary package for a fresher varies from INR 1.4-1.7 lakh.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Admission Process
The admission process of this course is mostly merit based, based on Class 10 Board Exam. Many colleges offer diploma in electrical engineering after 12th as well as after 10th. There are certain colleges that take in students based on entrance exams like Assam Polytechnic. The process for entrance based admission process is:
- Students will have to get the qualifying marks in order to get admission in the college.
- After the test, a merit list will be published listing the candidates that have passed the examination.
- After the final admission process and submission of fees, the student is required to register himself/herself in the institute for the academic year.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Eligibility
Different institutes have different Diploma in Electrical Engineering eligibility criteria.
- Candidates will have to pass class 10th board examination from a recognized state or central board with at least 50%.
- Students should also have studied Science and Mathematics with at least 50% marks in both of them.
- The person must have no backlog in the class 10 board exam.
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities.
- Some institutes admit students through common entrance exams and thus the student must clear the exam to get admission in such colleges.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Entrance Exams
Institutes depend on Entrance Exams conducted by the respective state government for admission of students in Diploma in Electrical Engineering. Some of the Entrance Exams for Diploma in Electrical Engineering, States where they take place, Eligibility and Last date of Application are mentioned below.
|Entrance Exam Name||State||Eligibility||Last Date to Apply|
||May 15, 2020|
||March 2021 (Tentative)|
||April 17, 2020|
||April 12, 2020|
|CET Delhi Polytechnic||Delhi||
||April 30, 2020|
||3rd week of June 2020|
|HP PAT||Himachal Pradesh||
||2nd week of May|
Some other Entrance Exams that are available for Diploma in Electrical Engineering are:
- J&K Diploma Polytechnic Entrance Test (JKBOPEE Polytechnic)
- JEXPO and VOCLET WB Polytechnic Entrance Exam
- Joint Entrance Examination Council of Uttar Pradesh (JEECUP)
- Jharkhand Polytechnic Entrance Competitive Exam (Jharkhand PECE)
- Kerala Polytechnic College Admission Test
- Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education Polytechnic Entrance (MSBTE)
- Madhya Pradesh Pre Polytechnic Test (MP PPT)
- Odisha Diploma Entrance Test (Odisha DET)
Preparation tips for entrance exams
- Take a note of all the best colleges that provide Diploma in Electrical Engineering in your state and the mode of entrance that they follow.
- You will not be able to sit for an examination for a Diploma in Electrical Engineering if you are from a different state. There are some exceptions like a Central Government employee posted in a different state and working for the UN and being posted in a different state.
- Science and Mathematics are the two most important subjects when it comes to Diploma in Electrical Engineering. All entrance exams will have questions relating to science and mathematics.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering: Course Highlights
The course highlights of Diploma in Electrical Engineering are stated below:
|Course Duration||3 years|
|Eligibility||Passing class 10 board exam with compulsory passing in Mathematics and Science|
|Admission process||Merit Based/ Entrance Exam Based|
|Course Fee||Government College: INR 30,000- 60,000 Private College: INR 3 Lakh- 5 Lakh|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 10,000-14,000 per month|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Emerson, Servomax, Mitsubishi Electric, Fuji Electric, Eon electric, Cable Corporation of India Ltd.|
|Job Positions||Electrical design engineer, Transform design engineer, Field application engineer, Technical trainer, Verification engineer, etc.|
Diploma in Electrical Engineering: What is it about?
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering is an application based subject which mostly focuses on practical application concepts.
- Electrical engineering is one such specialization under the umbrella of engineering which deals with the study of electrical power generation, equipment, and their design.
- Electrical engineers form a crucial part of trained manpower that most of the industrial firms house today.
Many types of Diplomas are available in India. Diploma in Engineering is one of the most sought after courses in India. Below stated is the comparison between two types of Diploma courses- Diploma in Electrical Engineering and Diploma in Electronic Engineering.
|Subject||Diploma in Electrical Engineering||Diploma in Electronic Engineering|
|Course Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Focus||Electrical Engineering deals with the generation, distribution, storage and conversion of electrical power/energy.||Electronic Engineering deals with designing, amplifying, and switching electrical energy with the help of different electronic equipment.|
|Eligibility||Class 10 Board Exam Pass with 50% with Science and Maths as subjects of study||Class 10 Board exam pass with 50%|
|Course Fee||Government College: INR 30,000-60,000 Private College: INR 2.5-5 lakh||Government College: INR 30,000-60,000 Private College: INR 60,000-2,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 1.2-1.68 lakh per annum||INR 3-20 lakh per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Emerson, Servomax, Mitsubishi Electric, Fuji Electric, Cable Corporation of India LTD||HP Enterprise, Mentor Graphics, Raana Semiconductors Private Limited, Techabyte Private Limited, TATA Power Strategic Engineering Division, Spider focus Solutions|
|Top Positions||Electrical design engineer, Transform design engineer, Field application engineer, Technical trainer, Verification engineer||Electronics Engineer, Electronics Executive, Communication System Operator, Broadcast and Sound Technician, Communication Operator, Television Production Manager|
Why Study Diploma in Electrical Engineering?
- A diploma course in Electrical Engineering imparts those technical skills and knowledge to the students that transform them into a trained and qualified personnel ready to be a part of industrial manpower.
- The course teaches various academic and practical aspects related to the domain to the students in a gradual manner.
- It gives you a chance to enter into the workforce just after 3 years of passing class 10.
- The students have the chance to do further studies down the line to add value to their Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Syllabus
The course is divided into 6 semesters spanning over a duration of three years. The syllabus of Diploma in Electrical Engineering is designed in a manner so as to teach all the basic aspects of the course to the students in a gradual manner.
|Year 1||Year 2||Year 3|
|Applied Science||Electrical Machines||Estimation and Specification|
|Applied Mathematics||Computer aided electrical drawing||Embedded System|
|Elements of electrical engineering||Electrical Power generation||Industrial Drives and Control|
|Basic Computer Skills||Transmission and Distribution||Electrical energy utility and Management|
|Electrical and Electronic Circuits||Practical||Electric Motor Control|
|-||-||Basic Managerial Skills|
|-||-||PLC and HDL|
The third year is most important as it contains the highest amount of subjects with some lessons in management skills as well.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Colleges
Below is stated a list of 10 Diploma in Electrical Engineering Colleges, the type of admission they follow, their fees and the average placements offered.
|College Name||Admission Type||Fees||Average Placement|
|Lovely Professional University, Jalandhar||Entrance Exam||INR 1,06,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Rameshwaram Institute of Technology, Lucknow||Entrance Exam||INR 54,000||INR 2,25,000|
|Dev Bhoomi Group of Institutions, Dehradun||Merit Based||INR 1,41,900||INR 2,00,000|
|Chandigarh University||Entrance Exam||INR 5,00,000||INR 3,20,000|
|Jharkhand Rai University||Merit based||INR 3,00,000||Not available|
|GD Goenka University||Merit based||INR 1,50,000||INR 3,50,000|
|Amity University, Noida||Merit Based||INR 6,00,000||INR 2,00,000|
|BFIT Group of Institutions, Dehradun||Merit based||INR 1,05,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Quantum School of Technology, Roorkee||Merit based||INR 1,37,000||INR 2,50,000|
The following table shows comparison of some of the top diploma in electrical engineering colleges in India.
|Parameter||VJTI Mumbai||Amrapali Group of Institutes||Parul University|
|Overview||It is among the oldest institutions of engineering in Asia. It has over 60 courses, all based on engineering.||The college offers over 20 courses and has got different streams such as – engineering, management, hospitality and travel, medicine, commerce, etc.||The university has been recognized by the National Board of Accreditation (NBA) and it offers over 273 courses in the fields of medicine, engineering, management, law, mass communication, etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 35,679||INR 1,32,000||INR 1,29,000|
|Placement Companies||Samsung, Tech Mahindra, L&T Limited, TCS||ACCENTURE, Just Dial, Oracle, TATA Consultancy Services, Vivo Mobile||Aditya Birla Group, TCS, D Mart, Mobius|
|Average Placement Package||INR 3,10,000||INR 2,20,000||INR 3,20,000|
Source:Official Institute Websites
Diploma in Electrical Engineering: Distance Education
Diploma in Electrical Engineering is available in many colleges and universities. Almost all the universities that provide on campus classes for Diploma in Electrical Engineering also have distance education. The time is 3 years for distance education, same as in on-campus courses. Some of the colleges that provide Distance Education for Diploma in Electrical Engineering are:
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Scope
A student after completing this course has two options, one to either continue studying which will add value to the diploma degree, or to join the workforce. Detailed information of diploma in electrical engineering scope in both these respects is given below.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Jobs
Some of the jobs that are available after completing Diploma in Electrical Engineering along with the job description and their salary are mentioned below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Electric Designer Engineer||Circuit design and simulation in regards to electrical and electronic equipment||INR 1.40-1.95 lakh|
|Junior Engineer||Maintenance and repair of electrical circuits and components under the supervision of a senior engineer||INR 1.42-1.80 lakh|
|Technical Trainer||Imparting basic skills and knowledge to the new recruit in the firm in regards to the functioning of the firm.||INR 1.50-1.92 lakh|
|CAD Engineer||Structuring of electrical circuits through computer-aided software and tools.||INR 1.65-2.22 lakh|
|Field Engineer||Visit various sites to provide repair and maintenance if needed||INR 1.55-1.75 lakh|
The starting salary is around INR 12,000 per month which can rise to INR 41,000 per month with experience. After 10 years of experience, a diploma holder will earn around INR 30,000 per month, thus the salary almost doubles in 10 years time.
Upon completion of higher studies there will be a hike of around 40%, thus it is better to complete higher education after completing Diploma in Electrical Engineering.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering Higher Studies
A person can start a professional career but the job will be very low paying. It is advisable to get a graduate degree after this course. After Diploma, the majority of the students pursue an engineering degree. Some of the courses one can do after completing Diploma in Electrical Engineering are:
- Certificate course in CCNA
- Certificate course in Embedded system
- Certificate course in VLSI systems
- Certificate course in Robotics and Intelligent Systems
- Certificate course in Power Electronics
- Certificate course in Signal processing
- Certificate course in Hardware Networking
Check the complete List of Certificate Courses in India.
Here are some of the colleges that provide Engineering Degrees in India.
- Jaypee Institute of Information Technology
- Sri Venkateswara University
- Karunya Institute of Technological Science
- PEC University of Technology
- Dr BR Ambedkar National Institute of Technology
Diploma in Electrical Engineering is a good subject and is beneficial and rewarding for the short term. But with time only a Diploma certificate will not be enough to advance in your career. It is up to the student to face this problem later in life or make provisions for that problem from now.
Diploma in Electrical Engineering: FAQs
Ques. What is the diploma in electrical engineering duration?
Ques. Which is the best Engineering Course for girls?
Computer Science and IT
Electronics and Communication Engineering
Biotech or Bioengineering
Ques. Is a diploma higher than a degree?
Ques. What level is a postgraduate diploma?
Ques. Which diploma is best for the future?
Engineering Diploma courses
Marine field related Diploma courses
Diploma in Fire and safety technology
Diploma in Hotel Management
Diploma in animation and multimedia
Diploma in Interior designing
Diploma courses related to computers and programming
Ques. Which degree is the highest?
Ques. How many courses are in diploma?
Ques. Which is the best, diploma or degree?
Ques. What is good, a diploma or Class 11th and 12th?