PhD Electronics deals with the study of design, manufacture, installation and operation of electronic equipment, system, machineries and telecommunication systems. PhD Electronics takes almost 4 to 5 years depending upon the project assigned.
The course shares diverse areas from creative, interaction, embodiment designing to instrumentation, robotics, and automation. It covers basic engineering concepts and techniques like engineering mathematics, drawing, physics ,chemistry.
Below given is a list of colleges offering PhD Electronics
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Fees|
|Kuvempu University||Shimoga||Merit Based||INR 60,200|
|PSG College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||Merit Based||INR 19,000|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore||Merit Based||INR 73,600|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||Entrance Based||INR 1,63,500|
|Rashtra Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University||Nagpur||Merit Based||INR 32,500|
Admission to PhD Electronic course is based on Entrance Exams. However, few colleges take students on the merit basis. The minimum eligibility criteria is a Electronics/Electrical Background with 55-60% aggregate in Bachelors and Masters Degree.
The common job roles offered to a graduate in PhD Electronics are Chief Production Manager, Programmer, Electronics Engineer, Electronics Hardware Development Engineer.
Checkout: Top Ranked PhD Colleges in India
What is the PhD Electronics Admission Process?
In Electronics PhD degree students are mainly selected on the basis of the MTech/MSc score or there are special entrance examinations conducted by few institutes such as GATE,NET which are conducted once in a year.
Merit Based Admission
- The doctoral degree is admitted on the basis of the MTech or MSc score.
- The minimum aggregate should be 55 – 60 % in Masters.
- Candidates must complete their masters from a recognized university.
- The minimum aggregate in graduation should be 60%.
Entrance Based Admission
- Most of the institutes take entrance based admission in the PhD Electronics course.
- In case of Entrance exams it is required to keep an update on the notification of following Electronics Colleges.
How to apply to PhD Electronics Colleges Colleges?
After the announcement for application, candidates can apply online by visiting the website.
- Essential documents during registration should be uploaded correctly according to the instruction given.
- Test centres are mentioned in the portal to help the candidate in choosing centres according to their convenience.
- After the examination on the given date results will be announced on the following website.
- Candidates who manage to clear the set cut off marks by the institutions will be called for counselling.
- Producing original documents in the counselling date and completing the admission procedure candidate can secure their position in their choice of college.
Read More: PhD in Engineering and Technology
What is the PhD Electronics Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria is applicable for both Merit based or Entrance based examination. The minimum eligibility criteria for this course is listed below
- Candidates must have completed their MTech with a reasonably high percentage in order to be eligible to sit for the entrance exams.
- PhD Electronics selection is done on the aggregate marks obtained in the last qualifying exam.
- Minimum aggregate of 60% is compulsory in the above combination subjects .
How to get Admission in a Reputed PhD Electronics College?
Candidates who wish to get admission in the best colleges then they should smartly plan their schedule and get prepared to clear the entrance exam.
- Candidates need to have the minimum eligibility criteria of having 55% in MTech or MSc in allied field.
- A good preparation for the entrance exam is always a safe option.
- Preparation must be started after announcement of application fill up that doubles up the chance of doing well in the exam.
- For the interview as well, the Current Affairs part candidate should be reading the newspaper and checking the trends and market of Electronics.
- Checking the course curriculum, regular and visiting faculty as well exposure , internship will help the candidate to sort out the best college for them.
- Placement opportunity is a must on the checklist .The last few years record will be helpful to understand the placement condition.
What is PhD Electronics all About?
PhD Electronics is focussed about the Developing and Testing out products. Let us check few important aspect of this course
- PhD Electronics trains students to evaluate different methods in various subject areas and aims to make them contributors of new knowledge, theories, and methods in the chosen subject area.
- The course includes acoustics, radio technology, signal processing, materials and component technology, electro-optics, circuit and system design, and biomedical engineering.
- This field of Electronics has its basic foundations in three major technical areas i.e. Information, Networks, Systems, Semiconductor Device, Optical System, Microprocessor and Computing Device.
- PhD in the field of Electronics gets the opportunity to work in Core IT, Entertainment Media, Hospitals and Defence Force.
Readmore: PhD from IGNOU
PhD Electronics Course Highlights
The basic information about the course is mentioned in the chart below
|Course Level||Doctorate Level|
|Full-Form||Doctor of Philosophy in Electronics|
|Examination type||Presentation and Seminar|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% aggregate in MSc/ MTech|
|Admission Process||Valid score in GATE/UGC NET/CSIR NET|
|Course Fee||1Lac approx|
|Average Salary||8 Lac|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Bosch, Ernst & Young, Infosys, QUALCOMM, Faurecia, The PAC Group, LumiLor India, Signify .|
|Job Positions||Electronics Engineer, Field Test Engineer, Product Line Engineer, Customer Support Engineer.|
Why should one pursue a PhD Electronics?
Electronics as well as Communication Engineering change lives, it makes life more efficient and this very thought can induce to pursue this course. This doctorate course encourages critical thinking and market research which are life saving skills.
- Students who have a keen interest in acoustics, radio technology, signal processingPhD Electronics can learn to create, visualize and trial their products must apply for this course.
- PhD Electronics provides students knowledge about materials and component technology, electro-optics, circuit and system design, and biomedical engineering.
- Electronics courses help the students to understand the current technological trends better than other streams as they deal with Information Technology, Coding and Designing .
- The annual salary of a PhD Electronics can be around 8 to 10 LPA.
- The recruiting companies associated with various institutes in their placement are Bosch, Siemens, DRDO, DLF, L&T, QUALCOMM, IBM, TCS, Infosys and Wipro to name a few.
PhD Electronics Course Comparison vs. PhD in Civil Engineering: Which is Better?
The two popular PhD Engineering courses for the students who take interest in software designing, algorithms, coding, IT and Designing Structures in PhD. in Electronics . PhD in Civil Engineering involves the study of structure and design of infrastructure like buildings, bridges, roads and dams. Below given is a comparison between both the courses.
|Parameter||PhD Electronics||PhD in Civil Engineering|
|Name of the Course||Doctor of Philosophy in Electronics||Doctor of Philosophy in Civil Engineering|
|Overview||PhD Electronics is a 4 year programme designed to know about the design, manufacture, installation, operation, and maintenance of electronic equipment and systems.||PhD in Civil Engineering is a 4 year long programme with no such specialisation offered although it is also a technical course which mainly focuses on construction of buildings, stable transportation systems and large structures.|
|Admission procedure||Entrance Based / Merit Based||Entrance Based / Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 1,00,000 – 2,00,000||INR 2,00,000- 3,50,000|
|Eligibility||Any student with ME/MTech/MSc in Electronics or Electrical Engineering with minimum 55 % - 60%.||Students with 55% are eligible for the admission procedure or Diploma in Mechanical or Allied Science .|
|Syllabus||MEMS, Cryptography, Electromagnetic theory, Digital Design, Control System, Signal and Systems, Information Theory and Coding, Data Communication Network.||Functions of Variables, Series and Matrices, CE Materials and Construction, Mechanics of Materials, Transportation and Hydraulic Engineering.|
|Job Profile||Chief Production Manager, Programme Analyst, Electronics Hardware Development Engineer, Product Line Engineer.||Civil Engineer, Transportation Engineer, Structural Engineer, Civil Engineering Technicians.|
|Top Recruiters||Google, Microsoft, Canoo, IDEO,NVIDIA.||Hindustan Construction Company, L&T, DLF, Unitech, Tata Projects , Gammon India.|
|Average annual salary||INR 7,00,00 to 10,00,000||INR 5,00,000 to 8,00,000|
What are Top PhD Electronics Colleges?
PhD Electronics is taught in some of the premium institutes in India. Given Below are some of the best colleges with location, fee and placement .
|College Name||Location||Average Fees||Average Salary Package|
|Kuvempu University||Shimoga||INR 60,200||INR 6 LPA|
|PSG College of Arts and Science||Coimbatore||INR 19,000||INR 5 LPA|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore||INR 73,600||INR 3.5 LPA|
|Banasthali Vidyapith||Jaipur||INR 1,63,500||INR 6.2 LPA|
|Rashtra Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University||Nagpur||INR 32,500||INR 4.8 LPA|
|University of Science and Technology||Meghalaya||INR 2,10,000||INR 4 LPA|
|Quantum University||Roorkee||INR 1,05,000||INR 3 LPA|
|RabindraNath Tagore University||Indore||INR 50,000||INR 4 LPA|
|University VOC Colleges of Engineering Anna University||Thoothukudi||INR 32,250||INR 2.5 LPA|
|GITAM Institute of Science||Visakhapatnam||INR 73,250||INR 4.5 LPA|
PhD Electronics College Comparison
The top 3 colleges for PhD Electronics have slight differences which are categorised according to some parameters as mentioned below
|Parameter||Banasthali Vidyapith||Quantum University|
|Overview||Banasthali Vidyapith is 'A' Grade accredited by NAAC. This university It offers a number of UG, PG, and Doctoral level Programs under various Departments.||Quantum University is famous for its history associated with providing high quality education. It was established in the year 2017 and offers various UG, PG and PhD programs.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 60% in ME/M.Tech||60% in ME/MTech from a recognized university.|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance based|
|Average Fee||1.57 Lac||1Lac|
|Top Recruiting Companies||ITC ,Mahindra, Deloitte, Siemens, TCS, Wipro.||Google, Microsoft, Mahindra & Mahindra ,American Express|
What is the PhD Electronics Syllabus?
The course syllabus is nicely designed with different areas of specialization to choose from
|Electronics Programming||Engineering Graphics|
|Power Electronics and Instrumentation||Verilog HDL|
|Digital System Design Laboratory||Signals and Systems|
|Network Theory||Analog ,HDL and Communication Lab|
|Electromagnetic Waves||Digital Communication|
|Digital Signal Processing||Embedded System|
|Information Theory and Coding||Microprocessor|
|Management and Entrepreneurship Development||Antennas and Propagation|
|Computer Communication Networks||Digital Switching Systems|
|Optical Fiber Communication||Wireless Communication|
|VLSI Lab||Thesis + Seminar|
What are the Important Books of PhD Electronics?
Some of the academic books with the name of the author are mentioned which are followed by these top institutes are
|A Textbook on Analog Circuits||A.Rajkumar|
|Microelectronic Circuits :Theory and Application||Adel.S Sedra|
|An Integrated Course in Electronics and Communication Engineering||J.B. Gupta|
|Electronic Devices and Circuits||Boylestad ,Nashelsky|
|Modern Digital and Analog Communication System||B.P. Lathi and Zhi Ding|
|Decode Laplace Transforms ,Numerical Methods and Complex Variables||Dr. H.R. Bhapkar|
What are the PhD Electronics Job Prospects and Career Options?
This course is so versatile and dynamic candidates can expect job offers for a variety of roles related to Electronics,Electrical and Communication.
- Students who are completing PhD Electronics can join any Software or Telecom Industry.Skilled Engineers are valued and even the pay package is really good.
- Even the Government Organization like Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, DRDO Laboratories, ISRO are a secured place to start their career after graduating.
- Business Development Manager and Research & Development Engineer are the two offset jobs that are also offered to PhD Electronics.
- A student with a PhD Electronics can work in aviation, consumer electronics, transportation, communication, computer application, diagnostic equipment .
- New avenues are opening everyday for Electronics engineers with the advent of new technologies which includes automation in industries, autonomous drone logistics, self driving cars, smart energy systems etc.
|Job Roles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Electronics Engineer||To work on the system which controls the flow of data such as communication and broadcasting.||INR 7.45Lac|
|Head Field Engineer||Developing standard procedure for field tasks, evaluate operational performance and recommend solutions.||INR 7 Lac|
|Chief Production Manager||Responsible for designing, scheduling and assessing projects with budget, resource and time as constraint.||INR 6.80Lac|
|Network Planning Engineer||Work for the maintenance of the external and internal network of an organization, support critical teams, implement new standards for fiber design engineering .||INR 6.20Lac|
|Software Engineer||Develop systems and software for Business from applications to network control systems and operating systems.||INR 6.96 Lac|
What is the PhD Electronics Future Scope?
A candidate with PhD Electronics is open to work in a variety of fields which are Multinational Companies, Healthcare Equipment Manufacturing, Mobile Network Connection, Aviation, Corporate Business, Entrepreneurship, Government Sector and other industries like Steel, Coal, Petroleum and Chemical.
- The job market for Electronics is on demand. They are always in the search for qualified skilled engineers who can assist them in developing the latest technologies.
- PhD Electronic graduates can publish their thesis and research paper and publish it for the upcoming generation Electronic Enthusiasts.
- A lot of the industries are located in Germany, Canada, China and the Gulf Countries so students of Electronics have a lot of opportunities overseas because of the presence of various manufacturing firms.
PhD Electronics FAQs
Ques. What are the top employment areas for PhD Electronics ?
Ans. The top employment areas for PhD candidates are Atomic Energy Commissions, Civil Aviation Department ,All India Radio, Manufacturing Units, IT Department .
Ques. What makes the course Electronics so popular ?
Ans. PhD candidates can cater to diverse roles in Telecom as well as Software industries Demand for skilled qualified engineers are rising to assist companies on developing equipment based on latest technologies so the course is definitely worth studying.
Ques. What is the duration of the course ?
Ans. The duration of PhD Electronics is four years .
Ques. Name some entrance tests for PhD Electronics?
Ans. Some of the entrance examinations for masters are CSIR UGC NET and GATE.
Ques. What are the common job profiles of PhD Electronics candidates ?
Ans. Lead Programme Analyst, Chief Product Manager, Field Test Engineer, Electronic Engineer are some of the common job profiles .
Ques. Who are the popular recruiters in this field ?
Ans. Microsoft,Google,Facebook,Infosys,Cognizant Ltd, Siemens, DRDO,ISRO are some of the recruiters.
Ques. What is the starting salary in an entry level job ?
Ans. The salary for an entry level job is 50,000 INR and above per month.
Ques. What is the expected skill from MTech in Electronics?
Ans. They should have a clear concept of designing, Analog Circuit, VLSI, Microprocessor, Antennas, Network Analysis and Programming.
Ques. What are the academic options after PhD Electronics ?
Ans. Candidates may opt for Postdoc in Electronics /Electrical /Communication Engineering.