Diploma in Hospitality Management is a professional course that deals with hotel management, Resort Management, customer service, accounts Management and Travel/Tour Management.
Candidates applying for Diploma in Hospitality Management should pass 10+2 level of education from a recognized board or university or Bachelor’s degree as per the type of the course being offered.
Students are admitted to Hospitality management colleges after the counseling round is conducted after relevant entrance examinations. They can appear for entrance exams like NCHMCT JEE, AIMA UGAT, IIHM eCHAT, UPSEE BHMCT, MAH-B.HMCT CET which secures their candidature.
Know More: Diploma Courses in India
The average tuition fees for Diploma in Hospitality Management ranges between INR 15,000 and 2 Lacs, for a duration of 3 months to 3 years.
The annual salary for successful hospitality Professionals ranges between INR 3 and 20 lacs which keep on increasing depending upon the individual’s knowledge, experience, and skillset. Hospitality students also take up entrepreneurship thus managing food chains and hotels of their own.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Course Highlights
|Duration||3 months to 3 years|
|Examination type||Unit System|
|Eligibility||10+2 with minimum 50% marks in aggregate/ Bachelor’s degree|
|Admission Process||Based on entrance exam/ lateral entry|
|Course Fee||2 Lacs|
|Average Salary||NR 2 to 6 lacs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Affinity Gaming, Airbnb, Alterra Mountain Company, American Hotel Register Company.|
|Job Positions||Hotel Manager, Housekeeping Staff, Front Office Staff, Customer Service Officer, Accounts Manager, HR Manager, Resort Manager, Travel/Tour Manager, among others|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Admission Process
Candidates are admitted to Hospitality management colleges on the basis of merit obtained through relevant entrance exams followed by personal interviews where each candidate’s aptitude for the program is tested. Several institutes provide admissions directly with basic 10+2 level education, therefore the admission process for each college differs from one another.
Institutes generally offer an online mode of application for the course. Below are a few guidelines students must follow to apply to the Hospitality Management college of their choice.
- Register your account on the official website of the institute
- Click the ‘Admission’ or ‘Programs’ button on the official website of the institute.
- Download the application form duly fill the application form and submit it to the website.
- Fill the form with the required documents.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Eligibility Criteria
Students seeking an admission in Diploma in Hospitality Management must fulfill these basic eligibility criteria
- Students must quality 10+2 education from any stream, through recognized educational boards per university.
- Students must qualify with a minimum aggregate of 50% (40% for SC/ST/OBC candidates) at the 10+2 level.
- Students must appear for the relevant entrance exams as per the institute of their choice.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Entrance Exams
- NCHMCT JEE- NCHMCT JEE or National Council of Hotel Management and Catering Technology Joint Entrance Examination is a national-level entrance examination conducted for hospitality and hotel management aspirants seeking admissions into related programs.
- AIMA UGAT- Under Graduate Aptitude Test or (UGAT) is a standardized test conducted by AIMA for candidates seeking admissions in various undergraduate programs like MBA (IMBA), BBA, BCA, BHM, B.Com, etc.
- IIHM eCHAT- IIHM eCHAT or (Electronic Common Hospitality Aptitude Test) is a national level online exam administered by the International Institute of Hotel Management for admissions in various hotel management programs.
- UPSEE BHMCT- UPSEE BHMCT or Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination is a state-level entrance exam conducted in Uttar Pradesh for candidates seeking admission to Bachelor of Hotel Management and Catering Technology(BHMCT).
|Exam Name||Registration dates||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|NCHMCT JEE||February 3, 2021||Last week of April 2021||Online|
|AIMA UGAT||February 2021||19 June 2021||Offline|
|IIHM eCHAT||January 10, 2021||2nd week of May 2021||Online|
|UPSEE BHMCT||Fourth week of January 2021||Second week of May 2021||Offline|
|MAH-B.HMCT CET||March 2021||June 2021||Online|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: How to prepare for Entrance Exams
Here are some tips to improve your performance in the entrance exams-
- Make sure to make a Study Plan. Having clear goals helps to study effectively.
- Practice the paper pattern regularly.
- Keep your General knowledge about the exam up to Date.
- Master your Language Skills.
- Practice Past Papers and Mock Tests.
How to get Admission in Good Diploma in Hospitality Management College
Interested students can keep the following pointers in mind to get admitted at a college of their choice:
- Research about the college’s admission criteria.
- Look out for the entrance exam conducted by the college.
- Connect with alumni or faculties and find reviews online.
- Study as per the exam pattern.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Important books to cover
Here is a list of books that students can refer to during entrance exams, interviews and even during the course duration.
|The Heart of Hospitality: Great Hotel and Restaurant Leaders Share Their Secrets||Micah Solomon|
|Be Our Guest: Perfecting the Art of Customer Service||Theodore B. Kinni|
|7 EASY Ways to Show Your Employees YOU Care!: A Booklet for Hotel Managers and Others||Joakim Hiller|
|100 Tips for Hoteliers: What Every Successful Hotel Professional Needs to Know and Do||Peter Venison|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: What is it about?
Students of the Hospitality management industry are well versed in business, human resources and are excellent in customer service. The candidates enrolled for the course are given advanced lectures on food, staff and hotel handling during the duration of the course.
Along with this, they are taught catering practices, critiques, food safety and preservation, contamination, and maintenance of personal hygiene for catering to their customers.
Diploma in Hospitality Management also deals with procedures to be followed during kitchen accidents and ensuring the safety of the staff and the customers. Students are also taught to manage the necessary equipment required in emergencies.
Due to the rise in food chains, hotels and eateries the demand for hospitality professionals is now more than ever. With greater corporate activity, tourism, and hotels rising Hospitality Management has become a challenging course.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Why this particular course?
- The course can be completed in a short duration and has the potential to get great packages and become a professional depending upon the student’s skill set and advancement in the industry.
- Students pursuing the course inculcate quality organizational skills, leadership, and teamwork which helps them to improve their communication and interpersonal skills for the long-term goal.
- Student’s become quality-oriented and learn to deal with criticism.
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Top Colleges with Fees
Diploma in Hospitality Management: College comparison
We have compared two top most colleges of India- IHM Delhi - Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition and Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration under parameters like their location, ranking, placement offers and recruiting companies involved in it.
|Parameters||IHM Delhi - Institute of Hotel Management, Catering & Nutrition||Welcomgroup Graduate School of Hotel Administration|
|The Outlook Ranking||1||2|
|Average Tuition Fee||3.02 Lakh||14.42 Lakh|
|Average Placement Package||2.4 LPA||4 LPA|
|Top Hiring Companies||Café Coffee Day, Reliance Retail Ltd., Starbucks, ITC, Marriott, The Lalit||Taj hotels, Radisson Blu, The Hyatt, Qatar Airways, Emirates, Indigo, The Oberoi Group|
Diploma in Hospitality Management Syllabus
The table shows the subjects taught in the course.
|Food and Beverage Service||Accommodation Operation|
|Food Production and Patisserie||Food and Beverage Service|
|Accommodation Operation||Food Production and Patisserie|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Course Comparison
There are several diploma courses available after 12th and one can join the courses even after completing other UG or PG courses. Here is a comparison between two physical education: Diploma in Hospitality Management and Diploma in Hotel and Restaurant Management under different parameters like Duration, Eligibility, Admission process , top Colleges that provide the course etc.
|Course||Hospitality Management||Hotel And Restaurant Management|
|Duration||3-4 Years||6 Months to 2 Years|
|Eligibility||10+2 from a recognized Board of education with a minimum aggregate score of 50%||10+2 from a recognized Board of education with a minimum aggregate score of 50%+ Graduation degree|
|Admission Process||Entrance Examination with a round of counseling||Merit-Based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 1,50,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 10,000 - 2,00,000|
|Job Positions||Event manager, hotel and resort manager, travel counselor, Cruise staff||Jobs like Housekeeping Manager, Hotel Manager, Chef, Steward, Front Office Manager Floor Supervisors, Food & Beverage Manager, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 3-5 Lakhs||INR 5-10 lakhs|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Job Profiles
This course opens up Jobs and Career Prospects in various fields within hotel management or places where food management is one of the priorities. Be it Government, Airways, Railways, Companies, Offices, Hotels, malls etc the need for food professionals is everywhere. After completing the course, students work as Managers, Chefs etc in Hotel Management/ Food Craft Institutes and receive packages up to 3-10 Lakhs depending upon their capabilities.
Job profiles with description
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|General Manager||The daily operations of the hotel, business unit, or organization are under the care of general managers. They ensure the smooth and efficient functioning of their staff while targeting customers.||5 lacs|
|Executive Chef||Executive Chefs are responsible for modifying menus and making changes as per requirements. They make sure the kitchen is well equipped with all the items needed for the week.||20 lacs|
|Duty Manager||Duty Managers are held responsible for making sure their employees are offering quality services to their customers. They make sure their customers are happy and content and they also take feedbacks to suggest the necessary changes||4.5 lacs|
Diploma in Hospitality Management: Salary Trends
Diploma in Hospitality Management: FAQs
Ques.Our Hospitality Management and HRM the same courses?
Ans. Hotel management covers all aspects of managing a hotel and hospitality management deals with managing people and catering to them in various industries. Hence both the courses are different.
Ques. What is a BS Hospitality Management known for?
Ans.Bachelors of Science in hospitality management encourages and trains students to become leading managers and leaders running world-class hotels and building relations. Students interested to pursue a Bachelor’s course with regards to hospitality management may go for this course.
Ques. How many seats are allotted for hospitality management in IHM Pusa?
Ans. The college has 100 seats allotted for hospitality management out of which 36 are allotted for girls. It also follows the reservation guidelines in educational institutes.
Ques. How many IHM colleges are functional in India?
Ans. Currently, 46 IHM colleges are functional in India out of which 21 IHMs sponsored by the Central government
Ques. Which are the top 3 hotel management colleges around the globe?
Ans. The top 3 Hotel Management Colleges in World are:
- Ecole Hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL)
- Les Roches International School of Hotel Management
- Glion Institute of Higher Education
Ques. Which are a few related courses to Hospitality and Hotel Management?
Ans. A few related courses for Hospitality and hotel management are :
- Diploma in Hotel Management & Catering Technology.
- BSc in Catering Science and Hotel Management.
- BA in Hospitality Management.
- MBA in Hotel Management and Tourism.