Diploma in Pharmacy is a 2 years long career-oriented, entry-level diploma course. Students who wish to pursue a long term career in the medical field of pharmaceutical sciences, starting in entry-level positions are suitable for this course.
This program is designed to prepare candidates to work under the supervision of a licensed pharmacist in hospitals, community pharmacies, and other pharmaceutical-related fields. Candidates can also pursue MBA Pharmaceutical Management after this course, though they would need to complete their bachelors first.
Note: Students who wish to pursue their education in Management field or get a career boost, can check MBA course.
D Pharmacy Quick facts
- To be eligible to apply to this course, students must have passed Class 12 or equivalent in a relevant discipline from a recognized board with an aggregate of at least 50% marks.
- Admission to D Pharma courses is either entrance or merit-based. The most popular entrance tests are GPAT, JEE Pharmacy etc.
- The average tuition fee charged by colleges or universities for this course in India lies anywhere between INR 10,000 and 1,00,000 per annum. The fee varies as per the type of the institution. Check top D Pharma colleges here.
- After completing this course, students will be able to find work in various private and public sectors as a Pharmacist, Scientific Officer, Quality Analyst, Production Executive, Medical Transcriptionist etc. Also check top D Pharma Jobs here.
- Average initial salary offered to a Pharmacy diploma holder ranges somewhere between INR 2,00,000 and 5,00,000 per annum, which may increase with the number of years of work experience and knowledge in the field
- On completion of this course, students can pursue higher studies and advanced academic exploration through B Pharma and other Diploma courses. This course essentially provides a solid basis for further studies and related prospects. Also check top B Pharma Jobs in India here
About D Pharmacy
Diploma in Pharmacy is a technicality based entry-level diploma course. It is 2 years long and suitable for candidates who wish to pursue a long term career in the medical field of pharmaceutical sciences, starting in entry-level positions.
It is designed to familiarize candidates with the basic concepts of pharmaceutical science. D Pharm Syllabus is curated to prepare students with the necessary skills and academic knowledge.
This course examines other ethical topics such as the distribution of scarce resources, the use of stem cells, the role of genetic testing and issues of human cloning.
Why D Pharmacy
D.Pharmacy as a course has its own set of advantages as well as opportunities that provides an edge over other job scopes and roles. Some of the basic reasons for pursue D.Pharm courses are,
- Social Responsibility: Pharmacists play an important role in the society as they define the health care sector. They contribute towards the health and welfare of the people of a society
- Career Options: Pharmacists can work in organizations such as Hospitals, Nursing homes, Colleges and the medical industry as a whole
- Career Growth: Healthcare is an ever growing and non static career. Candidates in healthcare career have a vast opportunity in terms of growth and development
- Flexibility: Since it is a 24*7 job, one can opt from working for either a day shift or a night shift.
Who Should do an D Pharmacy
- Students who wish to make a career in the healthcare sector are most suitable and preferred in a course such as D.Pharmacy.
- For pursuing D.Pharmacy students must have cleared their +2 in Science stream with a minimum 50% aggregate.
- Candidates with Research skills, Analytical skills are most suitable for D.Pharmacy course.
When to do an D Pharmacy
There is no perfect time to pursue a D.Pharmacy course,
- Students who want to enter the healthcare and pharmaceutical industry can pursue D.Pharmacy courses, as they won’t be allowed to enter this industry without a proper degree and knowledge.
- Due to the incentive and high package it is a very lucrative study course for students
D Pharmacy Curriculum
D Pharmacy Syllabus
This Diploma in Pharmacy course is taught in traditional yearly based curriculums. Below is mentioned the detailed syllabus of the two years. The syllabus of D. Pharm may be different to an extent as per the curriculum of each institute, but the basic structures and topics remain the same for the entire curriculum offering this particular diploma course.
|First Year||Second Year|
|Pharmaceutics I||Pharmaceutics 2|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 1||Pharmaceutical Chemistry 2|
|Biochemistry Clinical Pathology||Antibiotics|
|Human Anatomy Physiology||Hypnotics|
|Health Education Community Pharmacy||Pharmacology and Toxicology|
|-||Drug Store Business Management|
|-||Hospital Clinical Pharmacy|
D Pharmacy Course Content
|Pharmaceutics I||Introduction to different dosage forms|
|Packaging of pharmaceuticals|
|Size separation by Shifting|
|Clarification and Filtration|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 1||Acids, Bases and Buffers|
|Definition, History, and Scope|
|Various systems of Classification of Drugs and Natural Origin|
|Adulteration and drug evaluation|
|Biochemistry Clinical Pathology||Introduction to Biochemistry|
|Human Anatomy Physiology||Scope of Anatomy and Physiology|
|Health Education Community Pharmacy||Concept of Health|
|Nutrition and Health|
|Environment and Health|
|Fundamental Principles of Microbiology|
|Pharmaceutics 2||Reading and Understanding Prescriptions|
|Study of Various types of Incompatibilities|
|Types of Powders|
|Lipids and Dosage forms|
|Pharmaceutical Chemistry 2||Introduction to Nomenclature of Organic Chemical Systems|
|Antiseptics and Disinfectants|
|Pharmacology and Toxicology||Introduction to Pharmacology|
|Scope of Pharmacology|
|Drugs: Their Advantages and Disadvantages|
|General Mechanism of Drug Action|
|Drugs acting on the Central Nervous System|
|Pharmaceutical Jurisprudence||Origin and Nature of Pharmaceutical Legislation in India|
|Principles and Significance of Professional Ethics|
|Pharmacy Act, 1948|
|The Drugs and Cosmetics Act, 1940|
|The Drugs and Magic Remedies Act, 1954|
|Drug Store Business Management||Introduction|
|Drug House Management|
|Recruitment and Training|
|Banking and Finance|
|Introduction to Accounting|
|Hospital Clinical Pharmacy||Definition, Function, and Classification of Hospitals|
|The Drug Distribution System in the Hospital|
|Drug Information Service|
|Introduction to Clinical Pharmacy|
|Modern Dispensing Aspects|
D Pharmacy Admission Process
Students who wish to pursue a Diploma in Pharmacy course must fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- The candidate must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board.
- Students must have studied Physics, Chemistry, and Biology or Mathematics as compulsory subjects.
- The candidate must have a minimum of 50% marks in aggregate.
- 10% relaxation in marks will be given to candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBC (non-creamy layer), differently abled, and other categories.
D Pharmacy Admission 2021
Admission to the course is usually based on the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam. Some of the major entrance exams conducted for this purpose are GPAT, AU AIMEE etc. Some colleges also offer admission on merit basis. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
Merit Based Admission
- Submit the application to the colleges or universities you wish to seek admission into.
- Get a good score in Class 12 exams.
- In due course of time, colleges release their merit lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
The guide to apply for entrance exam based admission is as follows.
- Registration: Candidates have to register themselves online by visiting the official website of the conducting body.
- Filling up of Application Form: Fill up the application form with all necessary details with care.
- Upload documents: Scan and upload all required documents like mark sheets. Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Application fee: Pay the requisite amount of application fee
- Download admit card: Admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card must be downloaded and printed out to be used on the day of the examination.
- Examination: Prepare for the exam as per the syllabus and past papers. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Results: Results are announced after a couple of weeks of the exam day. If a candidate is successful in qualifying the entrance examinations, they can move on to the next round.
- Counseling and admission: Counselling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations. The student can now take admission in the D Pharma course.
D Pharmacy Entrance Exams
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the D Pharma program.
Listed below are some of these popular D Pharma entrance exams.
- AU AIMEE: AU AIMEE Pharmacy (Annamalai University All India Medical Entrance Exam Pharmacy) is a state-level entrance examination conducted by Annamalai University each year for admission to various pharmacy programs such as B Pharma, M Pharma, D Pharma, and Pharma D.
- GPAT: GPAT is a national level entrance examination for admission in various courses in Pharmacy. Many colleges prepare the merit lists on the basis of rank scored by the students in GPAT and subsequent group discussion and personal interview for the admission to D. Pharm. GPAT 2020 has been conducted successfully in Jan-Feb 2020. Notification for GPAT 2021 is yet to be declared.
State D Pharmacy Exams
|West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination (WBJEE-Pharmacy)||Uttar Pradesh State Entrance Examination (UPSEE-Pharmacy)|
|Odisha Joint Entrance Examination – Pharmacy (OJEE-P)||Maharashtra Common Entrance Test – Pharmacy (MHT CET)|
|Rajasthan University of Health Sciences (RUHS-P)||KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)|
|GUJCET (Gujarat Common Entrance Test)||Goa Common Entrance Test (Goa CET)|
D Pharmacy Application Deadlines 2021
|Entrance exam||Application Deadline||Exam date||Exam mode|
|AU AIMEE 2021||First Week of May 2021 to Last Week of May 2021||First Week of June 2021||Online|
|GPAT 2021||First Week of November 2020 – First Week of December, 2020||Last Week of January 2021||Online|
How to Prepare for a Diploma in Pharmacy Entrance Exams?
Some of the important points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing for Diploma in Pharmacy entrance exams are given below:
- Syllabus: Students must go through the syllabus of the course and mark all the important topics from syllabus
- Revise important topics: Revise all the important topics from the syllabus. Make sure to solve all questions that are related to the important topics.
- Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers: Solve previous year’s question paper so that you can get use to the question and it will also help in increasing your speed as the exam will be in online mode
- Mock Test: Candidates can solve and give the online mock test at the official website. It will increase efficiency and speed and will boost up your confidence.
How to get admission in a good Diploma in Pharmacy college?
To secure admission into a top-ranked Diploma in Pharmacy college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- The admission process to the course is either entrance based or merit-based.
- Since most colleges enroll students on the basis of merit, candidates are advised to procure high percentages in the papers in their higher secondary schooling.
- Participation and certification in various extra-curricular activities such as clubs, sports, and NGO volunteering can be an addendum to the list of merits.
- In the case of entrance based selection, it is very important to perform well and score above the qualifying marks in the entrance test in order to get admission in a good college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern. One must also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- One must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision.
Study D Pharmacy in India
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Mumbai Educational Trust||3,03,000|
|Nagrik shikshan Sanstha’s College of Pharmacy||1,28,000|
|MET Institute of Pharmacy||3,03,000|
|Premlila Vithaldas polytechnic||17,000|
|Shikshan Prasarak Mandal’s kusumtai Wankhede Institute of Pharmacy||9,750|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Meera Bai Institute of Technology||8,000|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Gurunanak Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology||89,600|
|Swami Vivekananda University||1,20,000|
|MR College of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research||1,00,000|
|BCDA College of Pharmacy and Technology||19,486|
|PMIT Group of Colleges||1,60,000|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Sathyabama Institute of Science and Technology||80,000|
|Dr MGR Educational and Research Institute||90,000|
|Saveetha Institute of Medical and Technical Sciences||85,000|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Government College of Pharmacy, Bangalore||14,030|
|Karnataka College of Pharmacy||80,000|
|MES College of Pharmacy||60,000|
|Bangalore Group of Institutions||1,70,000|
|RR Group of Institutions||1,58,000|
|Dr HLT College of Pharmacy||60,000|
|The Oxford College of Pharmacy||50,000|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Sri Venkateshwara College of Pharmacy||1,08,000|
|Avanthi Educational Society||68,000|
|Government Polytechnic MASAB Tank||3,800|
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Dr DY Patil College of Pharmacy||63,199|
|DY Patil International University||56,250|
|RJSPM’s Institute of Pharmacy||83,000|
|Seth Govind Raghunath Sable College of Pharmacy||95,000|
|Siddhant College of Pharmacy||70,000|
|Indira College of Pharmacy||80,000|
D Pharmacy at Top Universities in India
D Pharmacy Top Colleges
|NIRF Pharmacy Ranking 2020||Name of the University/ College||Average Fees|
|1||Jamia Hamdard University, New Delhi||INR 80,000|
|7||MCOPS, Manipal||INR 60,000|
|9||JSS College of Pharmacy, Udagamandalam||INR 55,400|
|12||Annamalai University, Chidambaram||INR 16,380|
|13||SPPSPTM, Mumbai||INR 1,21,500|
|14||MAHE, Manipal||INR 55,000|
|25||DIPSAR, New Delhi||INR 12,085|
|38||Chitkara University, Patiala||INR 1,32,000|
|46||Integral University, Lucknow||INR 80,000|
|76||Galgotias University, Greater Noida||INR 1,10,000|
D Pharmacy Government Colleges
|Name of the Colleges||Location||Average Fees (INR)|
|Government College of Pharmacy, Karad||Karad, Maharashtra||24,000|
|Delhi Institute of Pharmaceutical Science and Research||New Delhi||25,000|
|Institute of Chemical Technology||Mumbai||30,000|
|Government College of Pharmacy, Amravati||Maharashtra||81,000|
|Madras Medical College||Chennai||43,000|
|Pharmacy College, Saifai||Saifai, Uttar Pradesh||35,000|
|Government College of Pharmacy, Aurangabad||Aurangabad, Maharashtra||57,000|
|Jadavpur University||Kolkata, West Bengal||5,000|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University of Baroda,||Baroda, Vadodara||80,000|
|Government Pharmacy Institute, Gulzarbagh||Patna Bihar||4,000 - 4,00,000|
D Pharmacy Without Entrance
D.Pharmacy courses are generally pursued, once candidates sit for their entrance examinations and get good scores in those exams. However certain colleges permit entrance to D.Pharmacy colleges on the basis of merit.
Below is mentioned some of the key steps for candidates who want to enroll themselves for D.Pharmacy course on the basis of merit,
- Submit application to the colleges/universities you seek to take admission in
- You must have a good score, preferably 50% and above in Class 12th with science stream
- Participation or having certificates in various extracurricular activities may add extra points in the scorecard of the candidates.
- When the colleges publish the list of names of selected candidates, you can check if you have been selected for the course
- If you are selected, submit all necessary documents and take admission
D Pharmacy Jobs
D.Pharmacy is a diverse course that offers a lot of scope for candidates pursuing it. Candidates after completing a degree in Pharmacy do have a wide scope of job opportunities such as Pharmacists, Production Executive, Analytical Chemists etc.
Below mentioned table has a descriptive analysis of the job designation along with an average salary,
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Pharmacist||Pharmacists prepare medications by reviewing and interpreting physicians’ orders and detecting therapeutic incompatibilities. They dispense medications by packaging, compounding, and labelling pharmaceuticals. They control medications by monitoring drug therapies and advising interventions.||1,99,000|
|Scientific Officer||Chief Scientific Officers oversee the scientific functions of a company which includes basic and applied research projects and the development of new processes, technologies or products.||6,47,000|
|Production Executive||Production Executives are responsible for determining the best and most efficient uses of the available resources, including equipment and labour, to meet production goals. They set budgets, determine equipment and supplies required, assign job duties, and build production schedules.||3,42,000|
|Medical Transcriptionist||Medical Transcriptionists use transcribing machines with headsets and foot pedals to listen to recordings by physicians and other healthcare professionals. They dictate a variety of medical reports that are chart reviews, emergency room visits, operations, diagnostic imaging studies, and final summaries.||2,42,000|
|Analytical Chemist||Analytical chemists play an important role with their opinions in different matters relating to consumption of foods and pharmaceuticals, natural resources, utility of materials for different applications, criminal investigations and commercialization of manufacturing processes.||4,30,000|
|Pathological Lab Scientist||They use equipments from the lab to analyse various samples and specimens, usually from human subjects to understand any abnormalities and go into depth about their causes.||3,25,000|
|Research & Development Executive||The main job role of a Research & Development Executive is to plan and direct all aspects of an organization's R&D policies, objectives, and initiatives. Maintains an organization's competitive position and profitability by formulating research and development programs, policies, and procedures.||5,67,000|
|Research Officer||They look after research projects and work with team members to keep it updated and on schedule.They determine the objective of the projects and the research methods||3,20,000|
D Pharmacy Scope
After completing D Pharmacy, there awaits numerous scope for candidates, in both the academic and well as job fields. You can pursue them according to your favours and likings,
- For higher studies you can pursue Bachelor in Pharmacy or 2nd year B.Pharm if you have completed PharmD
- You can secure job at a drugstore at various private and government hospitals
- You can become an entrepreneur by opening your own pharmacy store, or retail or wholesale
- Top D.Pharm recruiting areas are health centres, drug control administration or medical dispensing stores
D Pharmacy FAQs
Ques: Is PharmD a good course?
Ans: Yes, it is. PharmD offers a plethora of career opportunities both in the Private and Government sectors.
Ques: How do I fill the PharmD form?
Ans: Once you decide to pursue PharmD, and select the colleges that you want to apply, go to the official links of the colleges and follow the rules of filling the PharmD forms.
Ques: What are the top recruiting areas of PharmD?
Ans: Some of the top recruiting areas of PharmD are Private and Government Hospitals, Medical Research Institutes, Entrepreneur etc
Ques: What is M.Pharmacy?
Ans: M.Pharmacy is Masters of Pharmacy, once a candidate completes his/her Bachelors degree they are eligible to pursue M.Pharmacy
Ques: Which is better, PharmD or B.Pharm?
Ans: Both are unique in their own ways. BPharm is a 3 years bachelor's degree however PharmD is a 2 years diploma degree course. However if compared B.Pharm is better than PharmD
Ques: Is there any fixed working hours for D.Pharmacy?
Ans: Any job role in the pharmacy profession generally involves a 9 hours duty, which can differ from organization to organization.
Ques: Is becoming PharmD worth the cost?
Ans: The wide range of career opportunities that PharmD offers, it is definitely a good choice for pursuing a career and worth all the money.