Diploma in Physiotherapy (DPT) is a 2-Year course divided into 4 semesters. This course can be pursued after passing class 12th from science stream with a minimum aggregate of 50% from a recognised board.
Admission to DPT courses is based on entrance exams, followed by a personal interview. Few DPT colleges also offer merit-based admissions. IPU-CET, BCECE are the top entrance exams conducted for admission into the DPT course.
The average annual fee of the DPT course is between INR 10k- 5 LPA depending on the institute.
DPT courses deal with improving patients’ disabilities and injuries through massage and use of physical therapy. The course curriculum also enables a student to develop scientific knowledge, problem-solving, technical and communication skills.
Students can get jobs in Health Institutions, Defence Medical Organizations, Orthopaedic Departments, Pharma Industry, and after competition of DPT Course. The average placement package offered to DPT holders usually ranges between INR 2 to 5 lacs per annum.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Course Highlights
|Examination type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||12th with Science Stream|
|Admission||Counseling after qualification of entrance examination or an interview|
|Average Salary||INR 5.5 LPA|
|Course Fee||INR 10k - INR 5 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiter||Wipro, Volvo, Nestle, Amul, Kelloggs, Reliance, Nokia, Infosys, etc|
|Job Positions||Lecturer, Research Assistant, Researcher, Self Employed Private Physiotherapist, Sports Physio Rehabilitator|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Admission Process
Admission in Diploma in Physiotherapy is based on the merit list or Personal Interview and Group Discussion depend on the institute. The applicants have to score well in their 12th exam. Below are the steps of the admission process.
- Eligibility: Candidates need to visit the official sites of the college and check the eligibility for the course.
- Registration: Registration dates are announced by the institute before the days. Candidates need to create an account and fill in the basic details like email-id, phone number, etc.
- Fill up details: Fill up all the necessary information in the application form. The candidate must ensure that all details are accurate and correct.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all required documents like 12th mark sheets, Documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only, as specified by the institute’s application portal.
- Application fee: Candidates need to pay the minimal application fee during the submission of the application form.
- Counselling and admission: Counseling is held for students who have cleared the entrance examinations or an interview. The student can now take admission in Diploma in Physiotherapy.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for a Diploma in Physiotherapy aspirants are not complicated and are as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from one institute to another.
- To be eligible to pursue DPT course, candidates must have passed in 10+2 examination or its equivalent examination in Science stream from the recognized board of education.
- Candidates must have secured a minimum aggregate score of 45% or more in the qualifying exam in subjects such as Physics, Chemistry, Biology, and/or Mathematics.
- A few of the college's candidates also need to appear for the entrance exam.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Entrance Exams
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into Physiotherapy.
- IPU CET: IPU CET is an Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test. All IP-affiliated colleges offering BPT & MPT. The candidate should need to appear in the IPU CET entrance test.
- BCECE: BCECE is a Bihar Combined Entrance Competitive Examination accepting state-level entrance test scores.
- IEMJEE: IEMJEE is an Institute of Engineering and Management Joint Entrance Exam. BPT Courses Offered by University of Engineering and Management affiliated colleges and entrance test is based on online mode.
- LPUNEST: LPUNEST is a National Entrance and Scholarship Test that aspirants have to take to become eligible for some of the courses and scholarship purposes for most of the programs. The mode of the exam is online.
- CPNET: CPNET is a Combined Paramedical, Pharmacy, and Nursing Entrance exam, is a state-level entrance examination, conducted by Uttar Pradesh University of Medical Sciences. CPNET is conducted in an offline mode.
Listed below are some of these popular Physiotherapy entrance exams.
The dates of application and examination of the entrance test for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Exam Name||Conducted by||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|IPU CET||Indraprastha University||1st week of March, 2021||4th week of April 2021|
|BCECE||Bihar University||2nd week of March, 2021 - 4rth week of March, 2021||April 2021|
|IEMJEE||University of Engineering and Management||January, 2021||Feb 2021|
|LPUNEST||Lovely Professional University||1st week of January, 2021 - March 20, 2021||27 Feb,2021-6 March,2021|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Tips to Prepare for the Entrance Exam
Candidates should prepare better for the entrance examinations, the following tips can help students to crack the exam.
- Candidates need to go through the entrance exam syllabus thoroughly and follow the timetable to complete the full syllabus on time.
- Candidates should know of the Physiotherapy course so that questions are not completely new to the students.
- Always try to prepare for the examinations by following the standard books that are available in the markets. Prepare keynotes while you study as it helps the candidate to memorize the portions very easily.
- Candidates should do well in aptitude sessions (general awareness, reasoning, Mathematical) because this part is available in many entrance tests.
- Practice previous years Physiotherapy entrance exam question papers to keep a check on the exam pattern.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: What is it about?
Information and details about the Diploma in Physiotherapy are as follows.
- Diploma in Physiotherapy is a two-year full-time course. The whole course work is divided into four semesters of six-month duration each.
- After the course students have the Demonstrate fundamental knowledge in therapeutic sciences towards providing physiotherapy related services.
- There are various positions available for the students after the course like Assistant Physiotherapist, Customer Care Assistant, Lecturer, Research Assistant, Researcher, Self Employed Private Physiotherapist, Sports Physic Rehabilitator, Therapy Manager and many more.
- The job opportunity in this course is always very high. Various companies visiting colleges for placement in India are TVTV, Volvo, Nestle, Amul, Kelloggs, Reliance, Nokia, Infosys, Dow, Thomson Wipro, etc.
Why Study Diploma in Physiotherapy?
The goal to attain a Diploma in Physiotherapy degree will depend on each individual’s aspirations and goals. Some of the reasons to pursue this course are mentioned below:
- Physiotherapy is a part of rehabilitative medicine. Physiotherapy focuses on the use of physical therapy, physical movements, massages, and exercise to improve and cure injuries, diseases and deformities.
- Students who pursue this course will be equipped with scientific knowledge and problem-solving skills as well as technical skills and physiotherapists will also be equipped with communication skills that will enable them to interact with patients.
- Students of the course have good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Candidates are up to date with the developments in the field from time to time.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Top Colleges
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Christian Medical College, Tamil Nadu||INR 22,130|
|National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro Sciences, Bangalore||INR 54,000|
|National Institute of Management and Technology (NIMT), Greater Noida||INR 153,000|
|King’s George Medical University (KGMU), Lucknow||INR 73,000|
|Aligarh Muslim University (AMU), Aligarh||INR 216,700|
|Institute Of Postgraduate Medical Education And Research||INR 15,000|
|Shri Ram Murti Smarak Institutions, Bareilly||INR 33,330|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||N/A|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the two top Diplomas in Physiotherapy colleges in India
|Parameter||Christian Medical College||National Institute of Management and Technology|
|Overview||Christian Medical College, was established in 1987||National Institute of Management and Technology was established in 1992|
|Average Fee||INR 22,130||INR 54,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR. 6.5 LPA||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||Tata Consultancy Services, Tata Research Development, and Design Center, Tata Steel Ltd, TVS Motor||Apple, Bain, Boston consulting Group, Google, Microsoft, Texas Instruments, Qualcomm|
Diploma in Physiotherapy V/s Bachelors in Physiotherapy: Which is Better?
|Full-Form||Diploma in Physiotherapy||Bachelors in Physiotherapy|
|Overview||DPT is a 2-year diploma programme||BPT is a 4-year undergraduate programme|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination or an interview basis||Entrance examination|
|Eligibility||Passed 12th standard with Science subjects||Passed 12th standard with Science subjects|
|Top Job Profiles||Lecturer, Research Assistant, Researcher, Self Employed Private Physiotherapist, Sports Physio Rehabilitator||Hospitals, Clinics, Fitness Centres, Rehabilitation Centres, Sports Clubs, Research Centres, etc|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Course Syllabus
The subjects taught for the Diplomas in Physiotherapy are almost similar in most of the Physiotherapy colleges.
The subjects offered in the syllabus for the entire Diplomas in Physiotherapy course is as follows.
|First aid and nursing||Clinical observation|
|Food Science and nutrition||Sports science and medicine|
|Psychology||General medicine and surgery|
|Sociology||Physiotherapy in general medicine and surgery|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Job Profiles
Some of the most common job profiles that a Diplomas in Physiotherapy student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Professor||Teaching the subjects of engineering after PhD||INR 9 LPA|
|Therapy Manager||The job of Therapy manager is to coordinate and direct the work of professional activities therapists in a varied program of activity therapy.||INR 5 LPA|
|Research Assistant||Research Assistants need to conduct literature reviews, collect data and analyze the data, prepare materials for submission to granting agencies and foundations and also prepare interview questions.||INR 4 LPA|
|Customer Care Assistant||They has to help customers with complaints and queries, give customers information about products and services, take orders, and process returns||INR 4 LPA|
|Self Employed Private Physiotherapist||As a physiotherapist, you'll meet with patients to assess their physical problems/disorders.||INR 6 LPA|
Diploma in Physiotherapy: Future Scope
After Diplomas in Physiotherapy students can either join the corporate line or either continue their education.
- After completing the DPT course, one will be able to find work at – physiotherapy centers, physiotherapy clinics, rehabilitation clinics, gyms, sports franchises, etc. Having Diplomas in Physiotherapy students can work in many employment areas like Colleges & Universities, Defence Medical Organizations, Health Institutions, Orthopaedic Departments, Pharma Industry, and Private & Government Sectors.
- If students want to pursue their higher education they can do Bachelor’s in Physiotherapy, Masters in Physiotherapy or can do Doctoral in Physiotherapy.
- Those students who are interested in research can opt for doctoral programs. After doing a PhD, opportunities open up in top research and academic institutions.
Diploma in Physiotherapy: FAQs
Ques: What is the course duration of Diplomas in Physiotherapy?
Ans: The Diplomas in Physiotherapy course duration is two years which is further divided into four semesters.
Ques: What is the average fee for the course Diplomas in Physiotherapy in Indian Colleges/ Universities?
Ans: The average annual fee to pursue this program ranges from INR 30k to INR 3 Lacs depending on the college/ university one is seeking admission to.
Ques: What is the admission procedure for admission to the Diplomas in Physiotherapy?
Ans: Few colleges admit students based on merit by conducting their own entrance exams or few colleges admit students by their school performance. Candidates are advised to check the college website to learn about a particular college’s admission process.
Ques: Is DPT the same as the course BPT?
Ans: No, BPT is a bachelor’s in Physiotherapy as it is an undergraduate course whereas DPT is a diploma course.
Ques: Is an entrance test mandatory for taking admission in DPT?
Ans: No, it will depend on the college.
Ques: Are the candidates appearing in the final exam of 12th can eligible to apply for Diplomas in Physiotherapy?
Ans: Yes, students are eligible with the same eligibility criteria. Students need to give their last CGPA/aggregate percentage of marks.
Ques: What is the minimum score required in CP NET for admission?
Ans: The minimum score required is not fixed. It is determined based on the number of applications, and other factors. It changes year to year.