What is Diploma in Teacher Education?
Diploma in Teacher Education is a diploma level teacher training program which aims to provide basic training to the candidates aspiring to become Primary Teachers. The duration course varies between one to three years, depending upon the institution. The program is also available as a part-time or a full-time course.
The aim of the program is to train the teachers in providing education to the primary school students in a creative, effective and calm manner such that the children feel happy and safe. For this a number of personal attributes are essential for an individual which involves:
- Communication skills
- Instructional skills
- People skills
- Imaginative skills
- Management skills
- Passion for teaching
This program is designed to equip aspirants with the skills and knowledge necessary to teach in a variety of subjects. There are many teaching programs to choose from, including language, arts and dance, child development, and relationships. The program focuses on developing the aspirant's ability to instruct children, organize lesson plans, and manage classroom activities.
There are many benefits associated with earning a diploma in teaching, including improved skills in time management, organization, stress management, and interpersonal communications.
The course curriculum generally happens to be a balanced one with equal focus on theory as well as practical aspects of teaching. There will be workshops, hands-on practical demonstrations and mock classes.
As primary education deals with the most sensitive age of learning, hence the teaching skill of an educator will play a massive role. A professional training will always be better for an aspiring as well as experienced teacher to learn about the methodologies required for producing effective results.
D.T.Ed. Course Highlights
|Eligibility||Class 12th from recognized board and institution|
|Admission Process||Merit-based, followed by an interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000 to 1,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 4,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Primary Schools, Day-care and Government Schools|
|Job Positions||Pre-Primary Teacher, Nursery Teacher, Children Education Manager, Montessori school teacher, Entrepreneurs|
What is the Diploma in Teacher Education Admission Process?
Admission to this course will be done based on the candidate's performance in the qualifying examination i.e. Class 12 exams. In merit-based selection, marks obtained by a candidate in the qualifying examinations are considered for offering admission into the course. The various steps involved in the admission process are given below.
- Registration: Registration date opens up annually and announcements are made in advance by the colleges. Registration will be done online where a profile needs to be created.
- Filling up of application form: Once a profile has been created, login and start the application process. Fill up the application form with past educational achievements, job experience, internships and projects done etc.
- Scan and upload documents: Documents like mark sheets, photograph, signature and transfer certificates must be scanned and uploaded online to the portal. All documents must be in a specific format and size only to be accepted.
- Application fee: A minimal application fee has to be paid to process the application. Payment can be done using online payment methods.
- Admission: Colleges take a couple of weeks to process applications. If a candidate meets the cut offs and all other criteria then an offer letter for admission is released.
What is the Diploma in Teacher Education Eligibility Criteria?
Students who wish to pursue a Diploma in Teacher Education course must fulfil the following eligibility criteria.
- Candidates must pass 10+2 with a minimum of 50% and at least 45% for candidates under the reservation category to fulfill the eligibility criteria for this course.
- Students can take up the program being an aspiring teacher or an experienced teacher also if you are interested to gain relevant competencies in the pre-primary teaching arena. It will surely help you to upgrade your teaching skills.
Which are the top Diploma in Teacher Education Entrance Exams?
There are only a few colleges which conduct an entrance test for admission to the Diploma in Teacher Education course. The examination mostly has a duration of 2 to 3 hours during which the students are required to attempt objective type questions. The examination details are released by the colleges every year.
How to Prepare for a Diploma in Teacher Education Entrance Exams?
Some of the important points that candidates can keep in mind while preparing for Diploma in Teacher Education entrance exams are given below:
- Syllabus: Students must go through the syllabus of the course and mark all the important topics from syllabus
- Revise important topics: Revise all the important topics from the syllabus. Make sure to solve all questions that are related to the important topics.
- Practice Previous Year’s Question Papers: Solve previous year’s question paper so that you can get use to the question and it will also help in increasing your speed as the exam will be in online mode
- Mock Test: Candidates can solve and give the online mock test at the official website. It will increase efficiency and speed and will boost up your confidence.
How to get admission in a good Diploma in Teacher Education College?
To secure admission into a top-ranked Diploma in Teacher Education college, a number of factors come into play. Some of the steps related to admission process mentioned below:
- Students should be aware of the types of questions asked and their difficulty level in various entrance exams.
- Since questions are asked from syllabus covered at the 10+2 level of schooling so going over the material and notes would be sufficient. Basic concept revision should be done.
- Be aware of all dates and deadlines. It’s important to track any news of examination date changes.
Diploma in Teacher Education Syllabus
Diploma in Teacher Education is a 1-2 year diploma program. The course curriculum incorporates various assignments, presentations and projects. The detailed semester wise syllabus is given below:
|Year 1||Year 2|
|The Learning Child||Indian Education System|
|Facilitating and Enhancing Learning - I||Facilitating and Enhancing Learning - II|
|Teaching of Secondary Language - I||Teaching of Secondary Language - II|
|Teaching of English - I||Teaching of English - II|
|Teaching of Mathematics - I||Teaching of Mathematics - II|
|Teaching of Science - I||Teaching of Science - II|
|Teaching of Social Science - I||Teaching of Social Science - II|
|Practical subjects||Practical subjects|
|Case Study and Observing Children||Self-development Workshop|
|School Visit||Teaching Learning Materials|
|Story Telling||Physical Education, Health Education, and Yoga|
|Physical Education, Health Education, and Yoga||Art Education and Work Experience|
|Self-development Workshop||Educational Computing|
|Teaching Learning Materials||Projects|
D.T.Ed. Important Books
Some of the most recommended books that students can follow for D.T.Ed. course are provided in the table given below:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Development of Education||J.C. Aggarwal|
|Methodology of Educational Research||Lokesh Kaul|
|The Learning Child||Dorothy H Cohen|
|English Grammar||Raymond Murphy|
|Teacher's Guide||David F. Bateman and Jenifer Cline|
Top Diploma in Teacher Education Colleges
Diploma in Teacher Education courses are offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. Some of the top colleges in India who are offering this course are mentioned below:
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||INR 5,000|
|AES Teacher Training Education Institute, Krishnagiri||INR 4,000|
|Kasturi Shikshan Sanstha’s College of Education, Pune||INR 2,000 – 5,000|
|Mahatma Junior College of Education, Mumbai||INR 4,000|
|Vishwasattya D.T. Ed College, Nashik||INR 2,000 – 4,000|
|BTK College of Education, Pudukkottai||INR 4,000|
|P. T. M Teacher Training Institute, Kerala||INR 2,000 – 3,000|
D.T.Ed. College Comparison
The following table depicts the comparison made among the top three D.T.Ed. Colleges in India.
|Parameter||AMU, Aligarh||AES Teacher Training Education Institute, Krishnagiri||Kasturi Shikshan Sanstha’s College of Education, Pune|
|Overview||This prestigious university situated in Aligarh has been eyed by aspirants all throughout the country because of its high education standards and affordable fee structure.||This dedicated teaching institute is situated in the Krishnagiri district of Tamil Nadu is famous for generating quality teachers with its dedicated curriculum.||This College situated in the education hub of Maharashtra has been producing teachers for years. The intake of the students is usually around 15-20, which is the reason for its quality graduates.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,000||INR 4,000||INR 2,000 - 5,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,20,000||INR 2,00,000 - 3,00,000||INR 1,50,000 - 2,50,000|
|Top Recruiters||Primary schools, Nursery, Pre-educational institutes||Primary schools, Nursery, Pre-educational institutes||Primary schools, Nursery, Pre-educational institutes|
D.T.Ed. Vs B.El.Ed.
Both D.T.Ed. and B.El.Ed. are teaching courses. These courses look similar however, there are differences between them.
Also check top B.El.Ed. Colleges here.
The comparison between the above mentioned courses are as follows:
|Full form||Diploma in Teacher Education||Bachelor of Elementary Education|
|Duration||1-2 years||4 years|
|Course Overview||D.T.Ed. course offers students knowledge about the skills, behavior and the responsibilities that one has as a teacher.||The course trains candidates for teaching in elementary school which deals with students from 6 to 12 years of age.|
|Eligibility||Candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board||Candidates must have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board|
|Admission Process||Merit-based followed by Interview||Merit-based/ Based on counseling after qualification of entrance test.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,000-10,000||INR 20,000 – 1,50,000|
|Job Positions||Pre-Primary Teacher, Nursery Teacher, Children Education Manager, Montessori school teacher, Entrepreneurs||Primary Teacher, Content Reviewer, Career Counsellor etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 – 3,00,000||INR 2,00,000 – 6,00,000|
Diploma in Teacher Education Career Prospects
The most popular choices of education on completion of a Diploma in Teacher Education course are as follows.
B.El.Ed.: A large number of Diploma in Teacher Education holders choose to go for the B.El.Ed. course. Admissions are offered through the national level entrance test.
Check B.El.Ed. Admissions 2021 here
- B.Ed.: A large number of students with a Diploma in Teacher Education opt for B.Ed. course. This is a 2-year course which can be pursued after completion of one’s Bachelor’s degree course.
- Competitive Examinations: Another route the Diploma holders can go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Jobs in this sector are secure with assured high pay and regular increments.
Job Prospects and Career Options after D.T.Ed.?
- After completion of the course, the candidates have a large scope of employment as there are a lot of schools in India which are under-employed and therefore, they are looking for fresh candidates.
- There are a lot of franchises opening up in cities throughout India. These new schools are looking for individuals who can care for children of young age as well as provide them the basics of education in the form of fun activities.
- Primary teachers in specialized courses are in demand as the schools need to maintain high standards of education. These teachers also enjoy better employment options as different schools are in need of them.
- As the working professionals are increasing in the cities, these professionals are looking for well-educated and caring mentors in daycares that can help their pupils learn the basics of language and mathematics. So, demand for such mentors and teachers are high which is another reason why one should opt for this course.
Some of the popular professional avenues open to such professionals are listed below with the corresponding salaries offered for the respective positions:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary School Teacher||The job responsibility of a teacher in primary school is to educate students who are between the ages of 5 and 12 under a prescribed syllabus and curriculum in order to develop the students' physical, social, literacy, numeracy, and emotional growth.||INR 2,00,000 – 3,00,000|
|Nursery or Preschool Teacher||The job responsibilities of a nursery or preschool teacher is to provide an encouraging and safe environment for the kids that facilitate learning. They also need to take care of organizing and supervising play and learning activities like cooking, dancing, reading, storytelling and many more, at the same time cooperating with health visitors, speech therapists, and parents.||INR 2,00,000 – 3,00,000|
|Early Childhood Education Program Manager||The main job responsibility of an Early Childhood Education Program Manager is to take care of the academic, emotional as well as social development of the students in the youngest age group. The other duties of the Program Manager include hiring and supervising the staff who monitor and teach the kids, managing the budget of the program, and also ensuring that the program meets the children’s social, emotional, educational and health needs.||INR 3,00,000 – 4,00,000|
Ques. How many days of teaching practice is mandatory in Diploma?
Ans. The mandatory teaching practice is of 15-30 days approximately.
Ques. Are the teachers being trained in online teaching?
Ans. Yes, most of the institutes have realized the importance of this and are planning to or have already implemented changes in their curriculum.
Ques. What are the requirements to become a primary school teacher?
Ans. The eligibility requirement for a Primary Teacher in a Government School is Senior Secondary School certificate or Intermediate or its equivalent, and Bachelor of Elementary Education (B.El.Ed.) or Diploma or certificate in basic teachers' training of not less than two years duration.
Ques. What do the practical subjects consist of in Diploma?
Ans. The practical subjects cover various subjects such as Mathematics, Science, Art and Drawing.
Ques. What are the mandatory extra-curriculars followed in Diploma?
Ans. The mandatory extracurriculars include - projects, school visits, interactive sessions and teaching practice.
Ques. How are the candidates trained to build patience and rapport during the course?
Ans. The candidates are taught a number of subjects wherein they are taught about the values of having patience with children and be supportive. Other than that, there is a mandatory teacher practice period that is scheduled at the end of the program to check if the candidate is going to be comfortable with students. There are various school trips that are planned during the program to provide the candidates as to how the students learn, behave and act.
Ques. What is the general intake of students for institutes under this course?
Ans. The general intake of the students in most of the institutes is low. The admission number usually lies somewhere between 10-50. The exact number of seats depend upon the desired institute.
Ques. Can a graduate also apply for this course?
Ans. Yes, a graduate is eligible to apply for this course. Although the basic eligibility is 10+2.