What is D.Litt?
Doctor of literature or (D.Litt.) is a two-year course for post graduate students. This course includes literature, writing, composition, poetry, fiction etc.
The eligibility criterion for the course D.Litt is students have to clear PhD in literature or equivalent with minimum 50% marks from a recognized college or institute.
The admission process for D,Litt is either merit based selection or an entrance exam taken by colleges or universities.
The entrance exams such as NEE, DEB UGC, AIU, UGC and so on. The average fee for D.Litt is INR 2,000 to INR 1,50,000. It depends on the course offered by the college or universities. Sometimes, it varies on the location and size of the campus.
We have curated a list of top D.Litt Colleges in India:
|College name||City||Admission process||Average annual fees||Average annual salary|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||Entrance exam||INR 28,950||INR 1,39,000|
|National Law University||Jodhpur||Entrance exam||INR 95,000||INR 10,00,000|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||Entrance exam||INR 21,720||INR 3,20,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance exam||INR 60,000 – INR 1,00,000||INR 5,50,000 – INR 6,00,000|
|Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University||Bhagalpur||Entrance exam||INR 28,500||INR 1,50,000 – INR 5,00,000|
The job profiles offered after completion of D.Litt are Senior Research Scientist, Assistant professor, senior political advisor, Educational department head, operations manager, chief research scientist, etc. The average annual salary package for the fresher’s is INR 2,00,000 - INR 10,00,000.
It varies on the experience and the skills of an employee. Also, it depends on the location and size of the company. The top recruiting companies are Horizon, ITM Edutech, Allegis Services India Private Limited, government ministry, etc.
See More: Top D.Litt Colleges in India
What is the D.Litt Admission Process?
To get admission, college and universities have two processes as merit based selection or entrance exam.
- Students have to fill the form online with the registration fees through the websites of respective colleges and universities before the last date.
- Once colleges release the cutoff list, students will have to visit the college for the documentation process.
- Documents required are 10th Mark sheet, 12th Mark sheet, Passport size photo, Bachelor’s degree, Master’s Degree.
How to Apply for D.Litt?
Step 1: To apply for D.Litt entrance exams, you need to register on the official website.
Step 2: Fill the form online and payment of registration fees before the last date.
Step 3: Download the admit card and appear for the exam on the announced date.
Step 4: Once the results are declared, counseling sessions will be provided to all the students.
What is Eligibility Criteria for D.Litt?
The eligibility criterion for D.Litt students is given below:
- Hold a PhD literature or equivalent from a recognized university.
- Minimum aggregate of 50% marks in qualifying examination.
- English should be the compulsory subject.
- No receptacle will be accepted, must have to clear PhD literature.
- Entrance exams are applicable at the discretion of the college.
What are the Top PhD Operation Management Entrance Exams?
Entrance exam conducted by colleges or universities such as NEE, DEB UGC, AIU, UGC NET, etc. Candidates need to clear the national level or university level entrance exams.
- UGC NET is a national level entrance exam conducted by NTA. It is a one hour test to secure admission in doctorate courses.
- NEE is a state level entrance exam, three hour test to secure admission in northeastern states of India.
|Entrance exam||Application form||Exam date||Exam level||Exam mode|
|UGC NET||March 16, 2020 – June 30, 2020||September 24, 2020||National level||CBT mode|
|NEE||January 10, 2020 – March 21, 2020||October10, 2020||State level||Online mode|
How to Prepare for D.Litt Entrance Exams?
The important guideline is to develop a reading habit. Reading habits can be developed by newspaper, novels, magazines, biographies, books, case studies.
- Learn at least 10 new words to strengthen your vocabulary and use it in daily life.
- Identify your strengths and weakness in order to overcome weakness and to know your interest area. The interested area Is a success key to crack the entrance exam. You have to focus on interested subjects also.
- Time management is very important. You should know how to manage time during the exam. You have to be clear about minutes per question. Mock test papers will help you to learn time management skills.
- More practice means more clearance of doubts. Practice will help you to learn new and correct methods to solve questions and clear your every doubt before exam.
- Be aware of current affairs, general knowledge, data sufficiency.
- Focus on quantitative subjects because it takes a lot of time and wants more practice with new short tricks to solve a question.
|See Also: NERIST Exam Pattern|
How to Get Admission in top D.Litt Colleges?
To secure admission in the D.Litt program in the top colleges of India:
- Participate in competitions like debate, sports, declaration, etc to improve your skills and to boost confidence. Sports certificates will help you to open more choices in choosing the colleges with sports quota.
- Take more counseling sessions to clear your doubts regarding the subjects, entrance exam, colleges or universities.
- Finding top institutes on the basis of location, size, faculty, fees, study material provided by them, conducted online – offline tests on weekends.
- Give online tests on weekends, so that you can save time and revise for your topics.
What is D.Litt: What is it About?
Doctor of literature or D.Litt is a 2 year course for postgraduate students. This course includes literature, writing, composition, poetry, fiction etc.
- This course has a specialization in such subjects as literature, international literature, historical literature or contemporary literature.
- In this course, students learn skills to understand the philosophical and social issues.
- They also learn about the linguistic cultures and cultural significance and to understand the diversity.
- This course helps in personal growth, professional growth.
D.Litt Course Highlights
Course highlight is a key which tells a whole course in a short summarized table. Students and parents get a small intro about the course. It gives them an idea and information regarding the important topics.
|Examination Type||Semester wise|
|Admission process||Merit based selection or Entrance exam|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 - INR 1,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 – INR 10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting companies||Horizon, ITM Edutech, Allegis Services India Private Limited, government ministry, etc.|
|Job Position||Senior Research Scientist, Assistant professor, Senior political advisor, Educational department head, operations manager, chief research scientist, etc.|
Why Study D.Litt?
Students have to choose this course because this course has some benefits and skills.
- This course will teach you about how to be a researcher.
- This course helps in revealing ideas, views, culture.
- It will help you to develop a critical eye (interpretation).
- You develop skills such as management, problem solving, directing, leadership, organizing and verbal & non verbal skills.
Course Comparison: D.Litt vs PhD English
Here are some main factors which one must consider before enrolling yourself in the course. Here is a comparison between Doctor of literature and PhD in English.
|Parameters||Doctor of literature||PhD in English|
|Overview||The course includes literature, writing, composition, poetry, fiction etc.||This course allows you to do detailed research on different aspects of English Language.|
|Duration||2 years||3 - 5 years|
|Eligibility||PhD degree||MA English or MPhil English|
|Admission process||Merit based selection or Entrance exam||Entrance exam with interview|
|Top colleges||Ranchi University, National Law University, Mumbai University, Singhania University||Loyola College, Christ University College, Chandigarh University, Banasthali Vidyapeeth.|
|Job roles||Senior Research Scientist, Assistant professor, Senior political advisor, Educational department head, operations manager, chief research scientist, etc||Author, advertising agency copywriter, content developer, public relations officer, etc.|
|Average fees||INR 60,000 – INR 2,00,000||INR 2,000 – INR 1,25,000|
|Average salary||INR 3,00,000 – INR 16,00,000||INR 4,00,000 – INR 8,00,000|
|Top recruiting organization||Horizon, ITM Edutech, Allegis Services India Private Limited, government ministry, etc.||CNN, HCL IBM, TATA, KPMG, HP, IBN7, etc.|
D.Litt Top Colleges
You should know about the top colleges which are offering D.Litt since it makes it easier to prepare for the admission process. Here is a list of top colleges in India offering D.Litt:
|College name||City||Average annual fees||Average annual salary|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||INR 28,950||INR 1,39,000|
|National Law University||Jodhpur||INR 95,000||INR 10,00,000|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 21,720||INR 3,20,000|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 60,000 – INR 1,00,000||INR 5,50,000 – INR 6,00,000|
|Tilka Manjhi Bhagalpur University||Bhagalpur||INR 28,500||INR 1,50,000 – INR 5,00,000|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||INR 50,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Singhania University||Jhunjhunu||INR 82,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Rabindra Bharati University||Kolkata||INR 60,999||INR 19,00,000|
|Quantum University||Roorkee||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,60,000|
|Srinivas University||Mangalore||INR 1,20,000||INR 4,00,000|
D.Litt College Comparison
College comparison parameters are about overview, city, ranking, eligibility criteria, admission process, average fees, average salary package, top recruiting organizations. Here is the difference between two top colleges of Ranchi University and National Law University.
|Parameters||Ranchi University||National Law University|
|About college||Ranchi university is a state teaching university located in Ranchi, which is also known for Affiliated University. This University is in 5 districts now (Gumla, Ranchi, Lohardaga, Simdega, Khunti). It offers IUG courses, PG course, and PhD level programs with vocational courses.||National Law University is one of the best national law universities, established in 1999 in India. This university has won prestigious Asia no. 1 Brand Award 2018. It offers UG, PG and research programs in law and management.|
|Eligibility||PhD degree||PhD degree|
|Admission process||Merit Based selection or Entrance exam||Merit Based selection or Entrance exam|
|Average fees||INR 28,950||INR 1,39,000|
|Top recruiting organizations||CMC Limited, TCS, HDFC Bank, ICICI prudential, JARO Education, SAP Labs, WIPRO, INFOSYS, etc.||Birla Global Finance, Calcutta Electricity, ARA Law, Hindalco, TATA AIG, Trilegal, TATA Sons, Porsche, OSC, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 1,39,000||INR 10,00,000|
The program consists of four semesters spread across two years.Here, the given syllabus is year wise.
|Year 1||Year 2|
|History of English literature||Media in performance|
|American literature||Political theatre|
|Television drama||Arts administration|
|Physical theatre||Contemporary experimental performance|
D.Litt Important Books
These are few books which will help understand the D.Litt syllabus, they can be considered as your study material. You can choose them depending upon its uses.
|The Canterbury Tales||Geoffrey Chaucer|
|A midsummer Night’s Dream||William Shakespeare|
|Mary Barton||Elizabeth Gaskell|
|A doll’s house||Henrik Ibsen|
|Selected poems||Wilfred Owen|
|The Bell Jar||Sylvia Plath|
|The World’s Wife||Carol Ann Duffy|
|The Kite Runner||Khaled Hosseini|
D.Litt Job Profiles
Here is the description of the jobs with average annual salary package offered after the course:
|Job profiles||Description||Average annual salary|
|Senior Research Scientist||The role of senior research scientist is to run a number of labs to conduct sponsored research experiments. They have an objective to outline the principal investigator based on contracts.||INR 7,52,000|
|operations manager||The role of operations manager is to manage the activities which are related to the production of goods and services. They manage embracing design, planning, control, operations strategies, improvement in performance.||INR 4,32,000|
|Assistant professor||The role of assistant professor is to teach, guide, and supervise graduate students and provide academic support to the professors and other members of campus.||INR 3,33,000|
|Senior political advisor||The role of senior political advisor is to provide services to candidates running for public office, they are known for consultants. Their role is to raise funds, media relations, opposition research.||INR 5,56,000|
|Education department head||The role of education department head is to provide strong leadership. They manage, develop the department to ensure it achieves the highest standards of excellence activities.||INR 2,61,000|
D.Litt Future Scope
After completing the course, you can get good job opportunities in the best companies with high pay scales.
- Students can pursue further study in literature to learn all aspects, skills in literature courses.
- Candidates may get job opportunities in public and private both sectors like National Health Service, educational institutes, government agencies, financial and legal firms, media organizations, public religion agencies, etc.
- They can work as copywriter, content developer, teacher, marketing executive, librarian, journalist, editor, etc.
Ques. What is a doctor of literature?
Ques. What is the difference between PhD in literature and Doctor of literature?
Ques. Is journalism a good major?
Ques. What will be the salary of a lexicographer?
Ques. Which is a better PhD in English or Doctor of Literature?
Ques. What will be the recruiting areas in Doctor of literature?
Ques. How to apply for admission to the Doctor of literature?
Ques. Who can opt for the course Doctor of literature?
Ques. What is the minimum and maximum fee in public colleges?
Ques. What is the minimum and maximum fee in colleges?