Elementary Teacher Training is a 2 year diploma course which trains the students in becoming proficient enough to be able to undertake classroom teaching in an elementary school.
Elementary Teacher Training eligibility is that students who have successfully completed their 10+2 can apply for this course.
This 4 semester program teaches fundamental principles and theories of education, information management and other disciplinary courses to the students. This training program also involves teaching students to develop lesson plans, curate and evaluate classroom tests, giving out instructions and to practically teach a classroom full of children of 4-12 years of age.
See More: ETT Top Colleges in India
This course is offered by various institutes, both public and private. The average fees for this course scales around INR 4,000-2,00,000 annually.
The candidates after completing their training of elementary teacher can have successful careers in teaching. They can get hired as primary school teachers, language experts/editors, research associates, librarians and also as part time teachers.
Both, private and government schools can hire Elementary teachers for teaching as well as doing other administrative work on various positions.
The anticipated average salary package of Elementary Teachers can fall in the range of INR 2,00,000-10,00,000.
Elementary Teacher Training Course Highlights
|Course Level||Undergraduate Diploma|
|Full-Form||Elementary Teacher Training|
|Eligibility||Passed 10+2 with minimum 50% aggregate in any stream|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam followed by Personal Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 4,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 1,00,000-10,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Private and Government Primary Schools, online education companies, coaching centers|
|Job Positions||Primary Teachers, Assistant Teachers, Academic Coordinators, Librarians, Language Editors, Research Associates, Part Time Teachers, etc.|
Elementary Teacher Training Admission Process
An admission in Elementary Teacher Training is given on the basis of the entrance examinations in some of the institutes. However, there are other institutes which don’t host an entrance examination for securing admission to the course. In this case, the candidate has to secure minimum qualifying marks in 10+2. The admission formalities followed by colleges undertaking students on the basis of entrance examinations are as follows:-
- Registration:- The admission applications are declared open days in advance by the institutes. The admission portals of the institutes ask for account creation with all the basic details of the candidate filled in.
- Application forms: The application forms for admission must be duly filled in by the candidates ensuring input of accurate necessary details.
- Documents: The important documents are then asked to be uploaded and attached with the form. The required documents are listed by the institute on their portal itself, which are to be scanned and uploaded carefully.
- Application fee: A nominal amount of application fee is requested to be paid along with the admission form, in order to make your application count. The payments are accepted online in most colleges.
- Written Test: The entrance/written examination is held by the respective institute. The candidates need to prepare well for the examination based on the syllabus. The candidates are supposed to undergo an Essay Test in English.
- Results: After a few weeks of the examination, the results are announced on the college website which states whether the candidate is qualified for the personal interview or not.
- Personal Interview: All the candidates who have secured the qualifying marks in the written test are called in for a personal interview.
- Admission: Those applicants, who have achieved the qualifying marks in 10+2, the written test and perform well in the personal interview, secure an admission to this course.
Elementary Teacher Training Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criterion of Elementary Teacher Training course is as mentioned below. However, the criteria of eligibility for admission vary from institute to institute.
- The applicants must have completed their Intermediate or 10+2 in any stream. The minimum qualifying marks in 10+2 ought to be an aggregate of 50% from any recognized board of the country in any stream.
- The candidates who have passed an International Diploma and have their final Class 12th results with them can also apply to this training course for admission.
- The students who are anticipating their final Class 12th results are also eligible to apply for admission in the course.
Elementary Teacher Training Entrance Exams
- D.El.Ed. Entrance Exam: D.El.Ed. is Diploma in Elementary Education Entrance Examination. This examination is conducted by Education and State Boards once a year which determines the eligibility of a candidate pursuing this diploma course. If an applicant has passed the examination, he/she can further seek admission to the course.
- Central Teacher Eligibility Test (CTET): CTET is an entrance examination on the national scale. It is hosted by the Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE). This exam is conducted two times in a year to shortlist potential teachers of classes I to VIII.
- Teacher Eligibility Test (TET): The eligibility test is conducted for candidates who see themselves as primary and secondary school teachers. This examination is bifurcated into 2 levels; Level 1 for primary school teachers and Level 2 for secondary school teachers. It is hosted once in every year, by both Central as well as the State Governments.
The following table reveals the exam date, conducting body and mode of the above named examinations:-
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|D.El.Ed.||State Boards||March 2021-June 2021 (state-wise)||Offline|
|CTET||Central Board of Secondary Education||January 31,2021||Offline|
|TET||Central & State Government||Statewise||Offline|
How to prepare for Elementary Teacher Training entrance examinations?
In order to efficiently prepare for the entrance examinations, there are some points that need to be kept in mind:-
- Chalk out a proper time table for being able to take out enough time for studying. The topics of study should be well planned in a way that covers the complete syllabus. One should make sure to study every day.
- Always try to build a conceptual foundation first by covering up all the basics of the subjects. It is extremely crucial to understand the basics well.
- Studying and solving the previous year’s question papers and mock tests is very important. One should try and solve the entire question paper (previously solved) in order to make it through.
- Some topics do require that extra time and effort. So one should invest time in difficult topics in order to make through the exam positively.
- For preparing for the entrance exams, one must refer to all the important books and study materials as reference based on the syllabus.
How to get admission in a good Elementary Teacher Training College?
For bagging an admission in an eminent college for Elementary Teacher Training (ETT), there are some points that also set in, which should be considered. The points to be considered are as follows:-
- Before the entrance examination, one should carefully study the question papers of the previous years to understand the kind and complexity of questions asked in the examination. This routine should be followed for a finer preparation for the exam.
- The entrance tests often comprise the questions relating to child development, language, science, mathematics, social sciences and environmental studies. Basically the syllabus includes the topics that can be taught to the primary school students. Studying the topics according to the syllabus of the examination will be adequate as they include all the basic notions of the subject which will help build a foundation in the course.
- Solving the question papers of the previous years will help in preparing for the entrance examinations in an advantageous way.
- Always keep yourself updated with the application, examination and other dates of the respective college you are eying. The dates tend to alter once in a while, so make sure of checking the websites to avoid missing out on any date.
- Study carefully for every section of the syllabus and make sure to keep yourself updated with the latest happenings related to the field as it will help in the preparations for the exams and the subsequent counselling sessions.
Elementary Education Training: What is it about?
There are some colleges which provide admission in the Elementary Teacher Training course on the basis of an entrance examination. There are a few others which offer admission based on the marks secured in 10+2 and performance in the personal interview. However, after the entrance examination, if a candidate gets through, he/she has to undergo a personal interview for further confirmation shortlisting of the candidates.
- Elementary Teacher Training program helps the aspiring elementary school teachers to learn and practically grow their skills of handling a classroom full of elementary grade kids.
- This undergraduate diploma program teaches the principal concepts and theories of education, the strategies implemented in imparting education to the children of the early age group.
- Through the pedagogy of lectures in mathematics, science, reading, art, social sciences, English, general education, and most importantly, professional education courses, the intellectual skills of students in understanding early childhood learning is brushed.
- The students are trained to instruct the classroom, use different teaching methods, create lesson plans, develop tests and assessments for students and evaluate their performances.
- This training program curriculum is a blend of different aspects of general education philosophies, professional education, and fundamental concepts of early childhood education. Through this training, a student is made competent enough to maintain a standard of decorum in the classroom.
Elementary Teacher Training Syllabus
The curriculum of this course is akin to what other colleges provide. This 2 year course is divided into 4 semesters for which the syllabus is as follows:-
|Year I||Year II|
|Principles of Education||Population Education|
|Educational Psychology||Special Education|
|Sociology of Education||Health Education|
|Fundamentals of Teaching||Human Rights Education|
|The Methodology of Teaching Languages||Guidance and Counselling|
|The Methodology of Teaching Mathematics||Educational Technology|
|The Methodology of Teaching Science||Educational Evaluation|
|The Methodology of Teaching Social Science||Internship Training for a Month|
Elementary Teacher Training Books
The following table showcases some of the books that will help a prospective teacher increase his/her knowledge of the course. These books will also help in increasing the understanding of the course.
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Visible Learning & The Science of How We Learn||John Hattie and Gregory Yates|
|Teaching What Matters Most||Richard W. Strong, Harvey F. Silver, Matthew J. Perini|
|Social Studies in Elementary Education||Walter C. Parker|
|Stories from a Teacher||J. Flores|
|Teaching Outside the Box: How to Grab Your Students By Their Brains||LouAnne Johnson|
Elementary Teacher Training Top Colleges
|Name of the College||Average Annual Fees|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 6,900|
|Bharathiar University||INR 4,805|
|Amity University||INR 60,000|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil Vidya Pratishthan Society||INR 13,340|
|Lovely Professional University||INR 1,18,000|
|APS College of Education and Technology||INR 1,71,000|
|RIMT University||INR 45,000|
|Shanti Niketan College of Education||INR 32,000|
|Bhagat Kabir College of Education||INR 3,000|
|Maharishi University of Management and Technology||INR 51,000|
Elementary Teacher Training College Comparison
The table below showcases the three top Elementary Teacher Training Colleges in India:-
|Parameters||Jamia Millia Institute||Amity University||Lovely Professional University|
|Objective||A central university which opened its gates in 1925 at Delhi, provides a lot of UG, PG, Diploma and PhD level courses for students.||A #1 Not-for-profit private university offers UG, PG, Diploma courses and has a state of the art infrastructure for providing first class education to its students.||Amongst the top private universities offering practical education along with theoretical concept building. It ranks among the top 100 institutions of India|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||16||63||99|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 6,900||INR 60,000||INR 1,18,000|
|Average Annual Placement Package||INR 5,00,000||INR 7,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Companies||Private and Government Schools||Private and Government Schools||Private and Government Schools|
Why Study Elementary Teacher Training?
Pursuing Elementary Teacher Training depends on the aspirations of an individual. If a person is inclined towards teaching small children and spending time with them, one can opt for this course. However, there are many other reasons as well which are as follows:-
- Noble profession: Teaching is usually considered a highly respectable profession and there is a demand for elementary grade teachers both in private as well as public sector schools. A person, who likes spending time with small kids and likes teaching them, can easily flourish in this career.
- Job Security: There is a high demand for primary school teachers, with new schools and education centers coming up day by day. There are primary or elementary schools in almost every city due to which job switch will not be a major problem.
- Flexible working hours: The schools work at a very flexible pace. Work schedule won’t be hectic as the teachers will get to enjoy every holiday and vacation round the year. Though there is still a lot of work to be done outside the classroom, the schedule is flexible enough to allow the teachers a lot of leisure time as well, which they can put to use for hobbies.
- Special teaching techniques: if you are someone who enjoys imparting education and knowledge to small and young children, this profession is the right choice to go for. It allows one to learn different techniques and approaches of teaching and provide an opportunity to implement it in a real classroom, full of elementary grade kids. Handling such small aged children will require an immense amount of patience and understanding, but at the end, it will be fulfilling to be surrounded by their positive energy.
- There are a lot of other opportunities to opt for as well after pursuing this course. Students can be hired as part-time teachers, language editors, research associates, school administrative work, librarians, etc in both private as well as government schools.
- The aspirants can further take up specialization studies in specific subjects after ETT training to gain a more in-depth knowledge and perspective.
Elementary Teacher Training: Course Comparison
Elementary Teacher Training Vs Diploma in Education
The course comparison between Elementary Teacher Training and Diploma in education is as follows.
|Parameters||Elementary Teacher Training||Diploma in Education|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Focus Area||It is a course which trains one to become an elementary school teaching.||It is a course which trains one to become a nursery class teaching.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance and Personal Interview||Entrance/Merit List|
|Eligibility Criteria||Passed 10+2 with 50% aggregate in any stream from a recognized board.||Passed 10+2 with 50% aggregate in any stream from a recognized board.|
|Average Course Fees||INR 4,000 to 2,00,000||Up to INR 2,00,000 per annum|
|Job Options||Primary School Teacher, Part-time Teacher, Research Associate, Language Editors, Librarians, etc.||Counsellors, Nursery School Teachers, Research Associates, Writers, Education Consultants, School Assistants, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Teaching, Research, Library, Language, School Administrative work, etc.||Teaching, Research, Counselling, School Administrative work, Writing, etc.|
|Average Placement Package||INR 1,00,000 to 10,00,000 per annum||INR 5,00,000 per annum|
Elementary Teacher Training Jobs
Teachers are always in high demand. A noble profession that teaching is considered, it is also an exigent one as the teachers are responsible for cutting out a better individual from the students. Apart from the academic front, there are a lot of other aspects that need to be looked into with a great deal of attention.
This is more crucial in the case of kids of elementary school who are nurtured and prepared for a formal school education in that stage. With schools opening in almost every city, there is a dearth of proficient teachers.
However, following are some of the career choices one can look into after pursuing Elementary Teacher Training with their average salaries also mentioned correspondingly:-
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Primary School Teacher||Primary School Teachers are responsible for teaching and supervising the children in various activities and subjects like Mathematics, English, Science, Social Studies, Art, Painting, Reading, Writing, Craft, etc. Lesson plans are curated to go about the syllabus properly throughout the year.||INR 2,37,000|
|Part Time Teacher||Part- time teachers are associated with the kids to teach them the basic concepts of subjects like, maths, science, social science, writing and reading. They also evaluate the performance and progress of their students through tests.||INR 9,00,000|
|Content Developers||Content Development involves curating subject based content for web based or digital companies. The online education companies require these subject matter specialists to teach their students or develop content for their company.||INR 3,50,000|
|Research Associate||Research Associates are responsible for coordinating tasks related to clinical research like data collection, distribution, storage and analysis. They make sure that every task is carried out in compliance with the federal regulations. They also instruct and explain the trial procedures to the participants and their relatives with the help of presentations and other reference materials prepared by them.||INR 3,02,000|
|Language Editors||Language/content editors are responsible for editing the content piece to make it error free. They check the piece for grammatical mistakes, punctuation marks, other spelling mistakes, etc. They are also responsible for ensuring that the content is accurate and faultless by double checking the facts and figures mentioned. Formatting and creating page layouts for the articles, advertisements are also one of their jobs.||INR 2,60,000|
Elementary Teacher Training FAQs
Ques. What is the duration of Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. The Elementary Teacher Training course is of two years which is divided into 4 semesters.
Ques. Is Elementary Teacher Training an undergraduate degree?
Ans.No. Elementary Teacher Training course is a diploma course.
Ques. What is the basic eligibility for admission to the Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. For securing an admission to the Elementary Teacher Training course, a candidate must have passed 10+2 or equivalent in any stream with an aggregate of 50% from a recognized board.
Ques. Is there any entrance examinations conducted for admission to Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. Yes. Some entrance examinations conducted for admission to the Elementary Teacher Training course are CTET, TET, D.El.Ed., etc.
Ques. What s the admission process for admission to the Elementary Teacher training course?
Ans. There are some colleges who admit students based on the merit achieved in 10+2 examination while several others conduct entrance examinations for providing admission to the Elementary Teacher Training course to students. However, it is advisable to students to study the college website for their respective admission procedures.
Ques. What is the average fee of the Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. The average annual fees for the Elementary Teacher Training course ranges between INR 4,000 to 2,00,000 depending on the institute.
Ques. What is the future scope for studies after pursuing Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. After pursuing the Elementary Teacher Training course, one can go forward with pursuing subject specializations for gaining an in-depth knowledge of a particular subject.
Ques. What other areas of employment can one get apart from teaching after Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. Apart from being hired as primary school teachers or part-time teachers, one can also get employment as research editors, content developers and writers, language editors, school assistants, readers, online tutors, etc.
Ques. What should I opt for after completing Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. After the completion of the Elementary Teacher Training course, one can opt for pursuing higher studies in related subjects to gain more knowledge. They can also choose to get employed as teachers in elementary schools. It all depends on the aspirations of the candidate. However, it is beneficial to get hired as a primary school teacher or a part-time teacher in private or government schools.
Ques. Can I get hired as a government teacher after completion of Elementary Teacher Training course?
Ans. Yes. The graduates of Elementary Teacher Training course can be hired as teachers in government primary schools.