With the internet and E-commerce sector booming during COVID -19 pandemic, a recent survey by KPMG suggests that there is a need for 0.47 million ethical hackers in India alone.
Ethical hackers can find scope in the area of Cloud Computing, which is recently estimated to grow 17.5% by the year 2025.
Ethical hacking courses in India are available in various certifications, diploma, UG and PG levels. Bachelors’ degree in related fields of ethical hacking such as BTech in Cyber Security or information technology is the most pursued course by the majority of certified ethical hackers.
Certified ethical hackers can earn INR 5,70,000 per annum in India and $90K in USA. In India, The Telecom industry is the top recruiter of ethical hackers, offering INR 11 lakhs per annum, followed by Banking and finance sectors that offer INR 10 lakhs approx.
All About Ethical Hacking Courses
The important details about ethical hacking courses, and recent updates are mentioned below:
|Industry||Cyber security and Information Technology|
|Education Level||Most ethical hackers pursue a bachelors’ degree i.e. BTech/BSc with cyber security, information technology or forensics as specialization.|
|Average Salary||INR 570,000|
|Job Prospects||Ethical Hacker, Information security analyst, security analyst manager, etc.|
|Demand of Ethical Hackers||Around 0.47 million|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Telecom (INR 11.75 lakhs), Finance and Banking (INR 10.52 lakhs)|
|Recent Growth/Demand||Ethical hackers have an increasing demand in the cloud computing sector in 2021.|
What are Ethical Hacking Courses?
- Ethical Hacking is the process of intentionally penetrating a computer system or network to discover possible breaches in it.
- Ethical hacking is done to eliminate all the vulnerabilities in the systems so that real hackers are not able to hack them.
- The company which owns the device or network requires Ethical Hackers to conduct these activities to test the defenses of their devices.
- Ethical hacking courses are available as certificate, diploma, UG, PG, and PhD courses.
- EC-Council and GIAC are the 2 most important professional bodies for ethical hacking certification across the globe.
- After completing ethical hacking courses, candidates get to work in job roles like Network Security Systems Manager, Forensic Computer Investigator, Network Security Administrator, Security Investigator, Computer Security Administrator, Web Security Manager, etc.
- The average salary after ethical hacking ranges from INR 3-8 lakh in the beginning.
Note: Even if you are a certified ethical hacker, you can not access any device without prior permission. This is illegal and termed a cybercrime.
Ethical Hacking vs Cyber Security
Ethical Hacking courses are considered to be a part of Cyber Security Courses, as it is a broad term concept, focusing on finding the ways to identify flaws, protect the system, as well as discovering techniques to protect a system from potential future threats.
|Parameters||Ethical Hacking||Cyber Security|
|Objective||Ethical Hacking finds vulnerabilities in the system and reports them to the owner. Their prime focus is attacking the system.||Cybersecurity deals with protecting data from malicious activities by recognizing and resolving potential threats. Their prime focus is to protect the system.|
|Job Growth Rate (2018-2028)||-3%||32%|
|Average Salary (Source Payscale)||INR 5,02,789||INR 8,69,027|
|Education Level||Ethical hackers study computer science, computer engineering, or finance. 38% of ethical hackers hold a bachelor's degree and 24% hold a diploma.||Cybersecurity specialists study computer science, computer information systems, or information technology. 50% of cybersecurity specialists hold a bachelor's degree and 20% hold an associate degree.|
|Top College||Indian Institute of Hardware Technology, New Delhi and Harvard University||VIT Bhopal and North Carolina State University|
|Top 5 Skills (Based on resumes of professionals)||Python, Web Services, A/B, SEO, Linux||Cyber, Information Technology, Incident Response, Procedures, NIST|
Ethical Hacking vs Unethical Hacking
The table below compares two different concepts- ethical hacking and unethical hacking.
|Ethical Hacking||Unethical Hacking|
|Ethical hackers work to increase the security framework.||Unethical hackers breach security by stealing data.|
|They are also called white hat hackers.||They are also called black hat hackers.|
|They develop and design a high-security structure.||Their only mission is to gain access to accounts and sensitive data.|
|Ethical hackers work to regularly update and check the security systems.||They only steal the data from an organization.|
|Ethical hackers develop systems like firewall, ad blocker, etc.||They gain access to restricted areas and modify them in a way that organizations have no longer access to them.|
Why Pursue Ethical Hacking Courses?
- The internet and E-commerce industry is growing day by day, with more significant growth observed during COVID-19 pandemic.
- A recent survey by KPMG suggested that around 72% of companies were attacked by hackers, of which 78% of companies had no ethical hacker/cybersecurity professionals to take care of the system.
- The reasons mentioned above predicted a demand of around 0.47 million ethical hackers in India alone, which indicates the rising demand for ethical hacking courses in India.
- Recent data suggests that ethical hackers can find scope in the area of Cloud Computing, which is estimated to grow 17.5% globally by the year 2025.
- A graduate in computer science or IT with certification in ethical hacking courses can find jobs in Wipro, Dell, Reliance, Google, Accenture, IBM, and Infosys.
- According to CISO, INR 570,000 is the average annual salary of ethical hackers in India.
- The demand and number of ethical hackers is highest in Bangalore, around 20.5%, followed by Delhi NCR (20.3%).
- Telecom services are known to offer the highest salary package (INR 11 lakhs) to ethical hackers, followed by the banking and finance sector in India.
How to Learn Ethical Hacking?
The core subjects that you will come across while learning ethical hacking courses are networks, networking devices, networking protocols, websites, web technologies, content delivery mechanisms.
There are many resources on the internet that can help you get started with learning ethical hacking courses, a list of such resources have been mentioned below:
|Hacking for Dummies||CEHv10 Study Guide by SYBEX|
|Hacking, The Art of Exploitation||-|
Best Ethical Hacking Tutorials
The table below mentions some of the most popular ethical hacking tutorials on the internet, as per user ratings and number of people who pursue these ethical hacking courses.
|Ethical Hacking Tutorial||Duration|
|LinkedIn Learning- Ethical Hacking Course – Lynda||26 hours|
|Cybersecurity For Managers: A Playbook||6 weeks / 5-6 hours weekly|
|Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking Course||23 hours|
|Cyber Security Basics: A Hands-on Approach||6 weeks / 5-7 hours per week|
|Learn Ethical Hacking From Scratch||14.5 Hours|
|Specialization in Hacking For Beginners||2.5 Hours|
|Cybersecurity Specialization||8 months/2 hours per week|
|The Complete Ethical Hacker Certification Exam Prep Course||16.5 hours|
|The Complete Ethical Hacking Course: Beginner to Advanced||24.5 hours|
|Hacking and Patching Course||17 Hours|
Types of Ethical Hacking Courses
Ethical hacking courses are available in various forms, such as certifications, diploma courses. Aspirants can also pursue BTech/BSc and MTech/MSc Courses specializing in network security, cyber security, and ethical hacking.
Ethical Hacking Certifications
- The ethical hacking certifications are offered through Online mode. Ethical hacking online courses are highly common and the trend is growing day after day. The duration of such courses may vary from a few days to weeks.
- Ethical Hacking Certifications are provided by various agencies upon clearing the exam by the minimum required passing percentage.
- Such agencies also have tie-ups with training centers that prepare the students for the certification exam.
- Unlike other certification courses, Ethical Hacking requires prerequisite knowledge of Computer Programming and Cyber Security from students.
- Earning additional certificates in related courses of Ethical Hacking definitely offers one the opportunity to increase their pay package. It is essential to be certified to pursue Ethical Hacking.
- The average salary after ethical hacking certifications is somewhat around INR 2-3 lakh.
|EC-Council- Certified Ethical Hacker + CEH Master||5 Days||INR 87,800|
|EC-Council- Computer Hacking Forensic Investigator Certification||5 Days||INR 87,700|
|GIAC- Cyber Security Certification||6 days||INR 1,45,000|
|GIAC- Certified Forensic Analyst||6 days||INR 1,45,000|
|GIAC- Certified Penetration Tester||6 days||INR 1,45,000|
|GIAC- Certified Intrusion Analyst||6 days||INR 1,45,000|
Diploma Level Ethical Hacking Courses
A diploma in ethical hacking may be pursued after 12th or after 10th, while a PG diploma or postgraduate diploma in ethical hacking is pursued after graduation.
- The candidates need to have knowledge in Computer and interest in computer programming to opt diploma courses.
- Diploma courses are ideal for candidates who are looking for an application-oriented career.
- It familiarizes candidates with Cyber Security concepts and various technologies.
- The course duration is 1-2 years for the UG diploma and 2-3 years for PG Diploma.
- Like certificate programs, ethical hacking course diplomas often give you the choice to select from a broad range of specializations.
- Aspirants who plan to save on time and follow a more career-oriented path should opt for Ethical Hacking Diploma Courses.
- The average salary after an ethical hacking diploma starts at around INR 2 lakh in India currently.
|Course Name||Colleges Offering||Average Fees|
|Diploma in Cyber Security||International College for Security Studies||INR 2,500-50,000|
|Diploma in Ethical Hacking and IT Security||Cryptus Cyber Security Pvt. Ltd.||INR 15,000|
|Diploma in Ethical Hacking||Enhelion||INR 3,999|
|Diploma in Ethical Hacking & Cyber Security||Cyber Defence Intelligence Consulting||INR 50,000|
UG Level Ethical Hacking Courses
According to various data reports on ethical hackers, most of the ethical hackers pursue a bachelors course in ethical hacking, as these are the top most requirements of an employer.
- At undergraduate level, aspirants can pursue various BTech courses in specializations like cyber security, networking.
- Students from a non-engineering background can pursue BSc in networking/ cyber security to become an ethical hacker.
- Duration of Bachelors in Ethical Hacking course is 3-4 years.
- Admissions are done mainly through entrance exams conducted by state or national entrance exams.
- Students who can dedicate full time to the profession and seek a long career should opt for bachelor ethical hacking courses.
- The average salary after a BTech or BSc in Ethical Hacking is around INR 3-8 lakh in the beginning.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Annual Fees|
|BTech Cyber Security||NIIT University, Neemrana||INR 2.95 Lakhs/per year|
|BSc Networking||Subbalakshmi Lakshmipathy College of Science, Eliyarpatti||INR 19,750/year|
|Kodaikanal Christian College, Kodaikanal||INR 90,500/year|
|BTech CSE (Cyber Security and Forensics)||GLA University, Mathura||INR 1,96,000/year|
|HITS Chennai||INR 2.3 Lakhs/year|
|Presidency University, Bangalore||INR 2.1 Lakhs/year|
|BTech CSE (Cyber Security and Threat Intelligence)||Manav Rachna University, Faridabad||INR 2,44,000/year|
|BSc in Cyber Security||Sage University, Indore||INR 40,000/year|
|KRMU University, Gurgaon||INR 3.19 Lakh|
PG Level Ethical Hacking Courses
A relatively low percentage of aspirants go for a masters’ degree in ethical hacking related fields, as a bachelor’s degree is enough to land you a decent job in various IT companies.
To get a salary hike, or learn ethical hacking in depth, as requested by the recruiters, many students hence pursue PG level ethical hacking courses.
- PG level Ethical Hacking courses cover a broad variety of topics including Penetration Testing, Digital Forensics, Network Security Management, Malware Detection, Port Scanning, Buffer Overflows, and Password Cracking.
- Candidates desiring to dig deep into ethical hacking should opt for master degrees. The program helps you to evolve with the new methods and instructions in mind.
- A bachelors in computer applications, networks, or a related area is usually a requirement for enrolling in a Master's in Ethical Hacking program.
- In India, the average salary offered to graduates holding a master’s in this field is INR 2-8 lakh.
|Course Name||Top Colleges||Average Fees|
|MTech in Information Security||JIIT Noida||INR 1.2 Lakhs/year|
|MTech CSE (Information Security)||IIITD New Delhi||INR 4.75 Lakhs|
|MIT Manipal||INR 2.1 Lakhs/year|
|IIIT Hyderabad||INR 3 Lakhs/year|
|MTech CSE (Information Security and Computer Forensics)||LPU Jalandhar||INR 120000/semester|
|SRM University||INR 1.7 Lakhs/year|
|MTech Network & Information Security||Pondicherry University||NA|
|MSc in Cyber Security||Calicut University, Malappuram||INR 6,905|
|Amity University, Jaipur||INR 58,000/year|
|MSc Cyber Security & Digital Forensics||Centurion University, Odisha||INR 70,000/year|
Ethical Hacking Course Online
Ethical hacking courses online are very popular and in demand courses because they are affordable, many times free of cost and aspirants can start these courses anytime they want.Coursera, Udemy, LinkedIn Learning are among the top websites that offer best ethical hacking courses online.
Ethical Hacking Courses on Coursera
|IBM Cybersecurity Analyst||IBM|
|Introduction to Cybersecurity Tools & Cyber Attacks||IBM|
|IT Fundamentals for Cybersecurity||IBM|
|Cybersecurity||University of Maryland|
|Penetration Testing, Incident Response and Forensics||IBM|
|Hacking and Patching||University of Colorado|
Ethical Hacking Courses on Udemy
|Course Name||Fees (INR)|
|Learn Ethical Hacking From Scratch||385|
|The Complete Ethical Hacking Course: Beginner to Advanced!||385|
|Practical Ethical Hacking - The Complete Course||1,920|
|Website Hacking / Penetration Testing & Bug Bounty Hunting||385|
|Learn Ethical Hacking: Beginner to Advanced!||385|
|Hacking in Practice: Intensive Ethical Hacking MEGA Course||385|
Ethical Hacking Courses on LinkedIn Learning
|Course Name||Fees (INR)|
|Ethical Hacking: Introduction to Ethical Hacking||899|
|Ethical Hacking: Footprinting and Reconnaissance||899|
|Ethical Hacking: Scanning Networks||899|
|Ethical Hacking: Enumeration||899|
|Ethical Hacking: Vulnerability Analysis||1,150|
|Ethical Hacking: System Hacking||899|
Ethical Hacking Courses Syllabus 2021
|Ethical Hacking||Information Gathering, Cyber Ethics, Hacking Introduction, Trojans & Backdoors, Sniffers & keyloggers, Google Hacking Database, Virus, Virus Analysis, Email, DNS, IP spoofing, HoneyPots, Social Engineering, System Hacking & Security|
|Website Hacking & Security||SQL Injection, XSS Attacks & Countermeasures, LFI/ RFI Attacks & Countermeasures, Vulnerability Research, Vulnerability Assessment & Penetration Testing, Exploit Writing, Information Disclosure Vulnerabilities, Buffer Overflow & Session Hijacking Attacks, Secure Coding Practices|
|Mobile & Wireless Security||SMS Forging & Countermeasures, Wireless Hacking & Security, VoIP Hacking & Countermeasures|
Best Ethical Hacking Books 2021
|Hacking: The Art of Exploitation||Jon Erickson|
|The Basics of Hacking and Penetration Testing||Patrick Engebretson|
|The Hacker Playbook||Peter Kim|
|Penetration Testing – A Hands-On Introduction to Hacking||Georgia Weidman|
|The Web Application Hacker's Handbook: Finding and Exploiting Security Flaws||Dafydd Stuttard|
|Hacking: Computer Hacking, Security Testing, Penetration Testing, and Basic Security||Gary Hall|
Top Ethical Hacking Colleges in India
Top ethical hacking institutes and colleges are centered around cybersecurity hubs like Delhi, Hyderabad, Pune, Jaipur and Chennai. All of these colleges offer various certifications and full-time ethical hacking courses.
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Delhi
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Indian Institute of Hardware Technology Ltd||10.26 K|
|Delhi Institute of Computer Courses||12.5 K|
|Appin Technology Lab||38.5 K|
|CyberTron Network Solutions||10 K - 25 K|
|Innobuzz Knowledge Solutions||20 K|
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Kolkata
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Biztech Management School||NA|
|Micro Pro Institute||NA|
|Jetking Infotrain Ltd||NA|
|Indian Institute of Hardware Technology||NA|
|AEM Kolkata||15 K|
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Hyderabad
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Entersoft Labs||30 K|
|Network School Of Excellence||NA|
|Optimized Solutions Academy||29.5 K - 47.2 K|
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Pune
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|Institute of Advance Network Technology||NA|
|Data64 Techno Solutions||8 K|
|Mastermind Technologies||12 K - 42 K|
|Appin Technology Lab||15 K - 48 K|
|Cybervault Securities Solutions Pvt Ltd||25 K - 35 K|
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Jaipur
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|S.S. Jain Subodh PG College||2 K|
|Talent Edge||13.49 K|
|Krishna Infotech Education||NA|
|Indian Institute of Code Network and Security||NA|
|Aptech Computer Education||NA|
Colleges Offering Ethical Hacking Courses in Chennai
|College Name||Fees (INR)|
|RJP Infotek Pvt. Ltd||NA|
|Appin Technology Lab||38.5 K|
|National Institute of Network Technology||NA|
|Mazenet Solution Pvt Ltd||NA|
Scope of Ethical Hacking CoursesInternet security and Networking are the two fastest-growing sectors that hire ethical hackers.
In the coming years, the field of ethical hacking will see exponential growth as the businesses alone in India are short of 0.47 million ethical hackers.
Top Job Profiles
The top job profiles an aspirant can look for after he has pursued certain ethical hacking courses and certifications are mentioned below. The average salary for these job roles are according to the payscale reports.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Information Security Analyst||INR 568299|
|Security Analyst||INR 488723|
|Certified Ethical Hacker||INR 502789|
|Ethical Hacker||INR 576632|
|Security Consultant||INR 711185|
|Information Security Manager||INR 1562050|
|Penetration Tester||INR 601799|
|Company||Average Salary (INR)|
|Paladion Networks||214,551 - 509,714|
|Tata Consultancy Services Limited||290,874 - 630,000|
|InfoSys Limited||121,641 - 910,630|
|Wipro Technologies Ltd.||101,980 - 800,000|
|EY (Ernst & Young)||316,266 - 752,553|
Certified Ethical Hacker Salary
The average certified ethical hacker salary in India is INR 599K, whereas a certified ethical hacker in USA makes $90K on an average.
City Wise Salary
|City||Average Salary (INR)|
|Bangalore||256,635 - 1,133,880|
|Mumbai||218,305 - 1,072,867|
|Chennai||241,957 - 913,540|
|Pune||254,028 - 1,043,389|
|Hyderabad||236,718 - 982,635|
Gender Wise Salary
|Gender||Average Salary (INR)|
|Male (94%)||254,342 - 1,160,171|
|Female (6%)||292,954 - 1,012,125|
Ethical Hacker Salary Abroad
Ethical Hacking Courses FAQs
Ques. Can I learn Ethical Hacking Courses Online?
Ans. Ethical Hacking courses are available online as well as offline. There are plenty of certification courses online that can be pursued by an Ethical Hacking course aspirant. There are ethical hacking degrees at different levels available through correspondence also, which are mentioned above in the article.
Ques. What are possible job positions a candidate is offered after completing Ethical Hacking?
Ans. Network Security Systems Manager, Forensic Computer Investigator, Network Security Administrator, Security Investigator, Computer Security Administrator, and Web Security Manager are some common job positions offered after completing an ethical hacking course.
Ques. What qualifications do you need to pursue the Ethical Hacking course?
Ans. Anyone who has completed a Class 10 can get admission to the ethical hacking certificate courses. But an applicant with an IT program or computer science Diploma or Degree will have a better understanding of the ethical hacking course.
Ques. Is an Ethical Hacking Course worth it?
Ans. If you're interested in cybersecurity, the CEH certification is a major investment based on the information you'll learn on your own. CEH is also a valuable credential for your professional career, beyond learning technological know-how.
Ques. How much money does an ethical hacker make?
Ans. Graduates after completing Ethical Hacking courses are offered an average starting salary of INR 3,67,249, which goes up to more than INR 15 lakh per year with experience.
Ques. Should I go for an Ethical Hacking weekend course or Formal Education, or should I look for a job in the Ethical Hacking field and learn from the experience?
Ans. The degree course, the certificate, and the job have their own purpose. We would suggest that you at least obtain a certification before going directly into the market. Around 90 percent of employers see system certification as a requirement for recruitment. Few online certificate courses allow you to attend one free session.
Ques. What are the various types of Ethical Hacking?
Ans. Hackers are of various types and are named for the hacking method depending on their purpose. Broadly speaking, there are two key hackers – hacker White-Hat and hacker Black-Hat.
Ques. What are red hat hackers?
Ans. They are also classified as hackers with eagle eyes. Red hat hackers seek to stop the black hat hackers like white hat hackers. Red hat hackers will continue actively attacking the hacker so that the hacker will know it needs to uninstall the entire device as well.
Ques. What do hackers need to know?