MBA has become a sought after option for all the graduates and around 4.6 lakh students enroll for the MBA program. There are various types of MBA and among them, an Executive MBA has become the first choice for working professionals in order to enhance their skill set. It prepares functional managers for general management roles and equips them with essential management disciplines. The highest salary offered to executive graduates of top institutes goes up to INR 90 lakh per annum. Salary being a major factor has attracted a number of applicants as the return on investment is high.
Executive MBA: Benefits
Apart from giving a considerate hike in pay scale, Executive MBA has some more benefits mentioned below:
1. Learn New Skills
Some people are very enthusiastic about adding new skills to their profile. After several years of work experience, people do get a vast array of skills and attributes next to their name but still, they want to learn new things.
Some of the skills you’ll acquire after Executive MBA are:
- Critical thinking, Strategic thinking, and analytical reasoning.
- Management techniques to move towards increased responsibilities.
- Team Building skills
2. Career Development
Executive MBA enables in changing the vision of the business and, through the mastering of strategic corporate issues, to develop their capacity for entrepreneurship. This helps you in enhancing your career and moreover this course can be pursued while working.
3. Immediate reward for you and your employer
Immediate return for you and your employer is the key difference between a full-time MBA and Executive MBA. Around 54% of the executive MBA candidates get increased job responsibilities and 39% are awarded promotions. All the skills and knowledge gathered through this can be easily implemented and used in solving all the business problems. The nature of the EMBA, which enables you to work and study at the same time, is incredibly relevant, particularly in tough economic times.
Some of the companies which offer an opportunity to do EMBA are Apple, Deloitte, Bank of America Corp, Ford, etc.
4. MBA Networking
Network building is considered to be the most valuable outcome of an Executive MBA. Unique group of people converges with the potential to form life-long bonds.
One other major reason behind going for Executive MBA is the fees is sponsored by the employer many a time.
According to the EMBA Council report, 20% of executive MBA students have their tuition fully paid for by their employers. Whereas 34% of the executive MBA students get some portion of their fees from their employers. The remaining 46% of students take the help of a bank or pay on their own. 59% of the EMBA programs have scholarships and fellowships to offer.
Executive MBA: Placement Record
The Return on investment is high in Executive MBA as within an approximate period of 17 months you can get the return of money you have invested and in order to understand this better go through the placement record of the IIMs for Batch (2017-18).
|Institute||Batch Size||Average Work Experience||Fees ( INR Lakhs)||Average Placement (INR Lakhs)|
|IIM Ahmedabad - PGPX||140||8.9 Years||25,00,000||30,35,708|
|IIM Bangalore - EPGP||80||7.5 Years||25,89,000||23,46,000|
|IIM Calcutta - MBAEx||70||8 Years||27,00,000||24,52,000|
|IIM Indore - EPGP||66||7.9 Years||20,00,000||20,00,000|
|IIM Lucknow - IPMX||61||8.4 Years||23,50,000||-|
At IIM Calcutta, the highest salary saw an increase of 192.14% whereas the average salary increased by 21.87% as compared to last year. IIM Indore saw a near increase of around 45% in the salary.
Other Institutes like SPJain are also not far behind, SPJain witnessed 100% placement in the year 2017-18.
Placements are carried out both ways i.e. on-campus and off-campus.
Executive MBA: Placement Statistics
Some students continue with their previous job and some go for switching their jobs. It all depends on the opportunities and skillset. The table below describes the placement statistics for batch (2017-18) in detail.
|-||IIMA – PGPX||IIMB – EPGP||IIMC – PGPeX|
|No of students graduated in 2018||115||73||68|
|No. of students who got placements through the institute||98||69||66|
|No. of students who continued with their previous employer||1||3||2|
|No of students who opted out of campus placement process||12||1||2|
|No. of international offers||5||1||0|
|Mean salary – INR (domestic)||28,84,111||23,46,000||24,52,000|
|Highest domestic salary||54,60,000||-||89,25,000|
|Mean international salary – (USD)||67,261||-||-|
|Highest international salary (USD)||70,252||-||-|
There has been an increase in the number of recruiters as well as the annual salary as compared to the previous year. The number of recruiters at IIM Calcutta has jumped over 80%-- to 78 from 43 in the last year.
Executive MBA: IIM Placements
Some of the prominent recruiters are Amazon, Accenture, Microsoft, Axis Bank, etc. They offer various senior-level roles to the students who have completed their executive MBA.
Below we have described the name of various recruiters as well as job roles offered by them at IIMs:
1. IIMA PGPX Placements
- Average Work Experience: 5-22 years
- Job Roles: Vice President, Senior Manager, Principal Product Manager.
- Recruiters: Accenture and Persistent Systems made maximum offers. Adidas AG, Airtel, Microsoft were some other companies.
- No. of Offers: 38 IT offers, 12 Logistics, 11 energy sector
2. IIMB EPGP Placements
- Recruiters: Accenture, Amazon, Ford, Microsoft, Axis Bank, etc.
- Average Work Experience: 6-9 years
3. IIMC PGPeX Placements
- Average Work Experience: 8 years.?
- Recruiters: 78 companies participated, Accenture, Ford, Tata Steel, Flipkart and Axis Bank are some prominent recruiters.
- No. of Offers: 57 offers received and among them, 53 were accepted.
4. IIM Lucknow IPMX Placements
- Average Work Experience: More than 5 years
- Recruiters: Amazon, Citi, ICICI Bank, Zee News, Microsoft, Snapdeal, etc.
Following are some of the common questions related to Executive MBA:
Q: Is an Executive MBA better than switching jobs for a salary hike?
If you are looking for a switching job for a higher salary package then you can also go for executive MBA as this may give you a better hike. Around 54% of the executive MBA candidates get increased job responsibilities and 39% are awarded promotions. The average salary of an Executive MBA ranges from 9 to 15 lakhs.
Q: Is Executive MBA a good choice for switching careers?
EMBA can offer you high paying opportunities not only in India but also in the world. The 2017-18 batch of IIMA PGPX got 5 international offers. For switching careers, EMBA is definitely a good option because it lets you acquire a degree without having to compromise with your job. You can pursue it while working.
Q: What are the post-EMBA career prospects or which industry should we go for?
If you are thinking about the post-EMBA career prospects, then you should consider the industry you are currently working on or the industry you are looking forward to work in. EMBA holders in IT and Health professions get a chance to update their industry knowledge in specializations that offer cutting edge approaches to their respective evolving landscapes. The 2017-18 batch of IIM-A PGPX got 38 IT, 12 Logistics and 11 energy sector offers. IT takes a larger role in every facet of society, investing in your education in these fields are beneficial for your career.
Q: Is Executive MBA beneficial for a candidate looking forward to starting his own entrepreneurial Avenue?
Executive MBA majorly helps in network building and this is a key factor in starting a new avenue. Pursuing an Executive MBA helps you enhance your background so that you can make the right contacts in the right circles. It helps you in the future when you wish to take your career to the next level. Among the top MBA programs for entrepreneurship, consistently around 20% of students launch a startup soon after graduating. An Executive MBA is also an overall advancement in the career which aids in starting a business.
Q: Which IIM should be considered for pursuing an Executive MBA?
Whether it is IIM Calcutta or IIM Ahmedabad or IIM Kozhikode, all of them assures the best training, management skills and course designs that will be beneficial for you.
- IIM Calcutta's One Year Residential Program for Executives gives mid-career professionals the ideal platform to augment their existing skillsets and equip themselves for senior and top management roles in the industry. Here, the course details of the program are broadcasted over satellite so that working professionals who cannot attend regular classes at the campus owing to pressure at work can follow the course. Besides, training services are also arranged for students over the satellite so that they do not miss anything important if not attending classes.
- The IIM Ahmedabad PGPX is a one year- full time -residential - program for executives with substantial work experience.
- The full-time IIM Bangalore Executive Post Graduate Programme (EPGP) is an intensive one-year residential program created specifically for professionals with remarkable track records and 4 to 15 years of work experience in a wide range of industries.