Faculty Development Program is a skill development program specially designed for academic educators. This program can be 1 week to 4 months long, and is conducted by very few institutes.
Some of the institutes conduct this program for their faculty members to improve the standard of education in their organization.
View the full list of Top colleges offering Faculty Development Programs in India
The admission to the course is usually direct and on a first-come-first-serve (FCFS) basis. The admission process gets closed once all the seats get filled.
The course focuses on areas like Case and teaching skill development, Research methodology, Research skill development, Perspectives on management, Area wise specialization courses, etc.
The program is also known to be quite beneficial for those who want to go for a Ph.D./ M.Phil.
In order to be eligible, the participants should hold at least a postgraduate degree to attend this course. They should also have a postgraduate level teaching experience or research experience for at least 2 years.
Some of the top Faculty Development Program colleges in India are:
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Admission Process||Course Fees|
|1||Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad||Based on educational qualification, statement of purpose, and telephonic interview||INR 2,18,300|
|6||Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode||Direct admission||INR 20,000|
|7||Indian Institute of Management, Indore||Direct admission||INR 88,500|
|15||Indian Institute of Management, Trichy||Direct-admission||INR 20,000-24,000|
|55||Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore||Direct-admission||INR 3,000|
The average fees charged for this program is INR 12,000-2,20,000. The participants completing this course can work in private and public academic institutes like colleges, universities, professional schools, training centers, etc.
The average salary expected after completion of this program is INR 5-20 LPA, depending on the job.
If students want to pursue higher studies then they can go for M.Phil/Ph.D. in the education of any other specialized field.
Read More on Top Management Colleges in India
Faculty Development Program Admission Process
- The admissions are based on the educational qualification and the statement of purpose.
- The applications will be reviewed and the selected candidates may have to attend either telephonic or physical interview.
- Some of the faculties are also nominated by their employees.
- Most of the colleges call the candidates on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Candidates are called until the last date of application or until all the seats get filled, whichever earlier.
Faculty Development Program Eligibility
- The candidates must have a postgraduate degree in their respective domain.
- The candidates should also have a postgraduate level teaching experience/ research experience for at least 2 years.
- Non-teaching applicants should have served in a registered firm for 5 years, at a senior managerial position.
- There is an age limit for doing this course. The candidates should not have age above 45.
Faculty Development Program Entrance Exams
No particular entrance exam is conducted for admission to the course. The candidates willing to take this course need to apply through the online application form on the college website. After reviewing the application, the college will call the candidate for an interview. If the candidate succeeds in the interview, he/she will be granted admission to the course.
How to get admission in good FDP colleges?
- This program is conducted by very few institutes, but the colleges that conduct this program rank amongst the top colleges.
- The admission into this course is usually direct.
- The participants are selected based on the previous work experience and their motives behind joining the program.
- To get selected for this program, the applicants will only require to fulfill the eligibility of the program.
- After the applications are submitted, the colleges will review the applications and will call the candidates who look most deserving.
- So, make sure to fill out the application form in complete detail.
- Also, the candidate will have to go through either telephonic or in-person interview before the final admission, where the experience and thought process of the candidates will be judged.
- So, make sure that you have a clear vision and thought process when you sit for the interview, so that you can impress the interviewer.
What is the Faculty Development Program?
- It is a postgraduate certificate program ranging from a few weeks to a few months.
- It is a skill enhancement and career development program for mid-career professors at undergraduate and postgraduate business schools.
- This course can be done by teachers, trainers, or researchers working in schools, colleges, universities, professional institutes, training centers of business enterprises, staff training institutes of central and state governments, etc and teaching students for higher education.
- The course is specially designed to provide rigorous training to the educators and help them strengthen their understanding of core general management, gain exposure to advanced topics, learn and experiment with effective pedagogical techniques, and gain familiarity with essential aspects of carrying out research studies.
Faculty Development Program: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Postgraduate Certificate|
|Full-form||Faculty Development Program|
|Duration||Few months (not-fixed)|
|Examination Type||No examinations required|
|Eligibility||Postgraduate level teaching experience/ research experience for at least 2 years.|
|Admission Process||Direct admission based on past experience|
|Course fees||INR 12,000 - INR 2,20,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4,51,000 - INR 15,92,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Schools, colleges, universities, training centers, etc.|
|Job positions||Professors, assistant professors, faculty, associate professor, instructor, lecturer, etc.|
Why the Faculty Development Program?
- Academic educators are responsible for shaping the career of the students. Therefore the educators are expected to be an expert and should be skilled with the latest trend and technologies.
- The main purpose of this program is to engage the educators in skill development (teaching and research) and identify best practices to deploy in their curricula.
- The quality of education in academic institutes also depends on the hands of the faculties. There are many institutes who are unable to maintain their education standards. Such institutes are always in search of the best educators. Therefore the job options also increase after completion of FDP.
The educators will be able to see the following outcomes after completion of FDP:
- They will be skilled with the latest technologies.
- They will be able to expand their faculty roles.
- They will be able to improve research skills and quality work.
- They will explore multiple forms of teaching pedagogy for improving teaching effectiveness.
- They will have capabilities of theory building and validation of the theory developed.
- They will learn tips for publication in top academic journals.
While FDP or Faculty Development Program is to train the teachers and faculty staffs, MDP or Management Development Program focuses on increasing the managerial qualities in a candidate. The key differences between these two courses are discussed in the table below.
|Parameters||FDP (Faculty Development Program)||MDP (Management Development Program)|
|Overview||The objective of the program is to train educators by engaging them in skill development to identify best practices to deploy in their curricula.||The program aims to improve the overall effectiveness of existing managers as well as preparing them for greater responsibilities.|
|Objective||This course helps to improve the level of education and thus help the academic institute to offer better service to the students.||This program will help the managers to promote and the organization to grow.|
|Average Course Fee (Total)||INR 12,000 - INR 2,20,000||INR 10,000 - INR 30,00,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 6,00,000 - INR 22,00,000||INR 3,00,000 - INR 18,00,000|
|Top Colleges||IIM Ahmedabad, IIM Kozhikode, IIM Indore.||IIM Kozhikode, IIM Shillong, Indian School of Business Hyderabad.|
Source: College Websites
Faculty Development Program Specializations
FDP courses are conducted in every field of study like arts, science, engineering, medical, management, etc and they may have their own specializations.
FDP in Engineering Domain
It is a short term training program usually conducted for 5-6 days. The area of study includes Industrial design & Delivery system, Emerging engineering domain, NBA Accreditation Procedure, Outcome-based education, Technology Enabled Learning, Student Evaluation, etc.
The objective of the program is to:
- Enhance the knowledge and skills of the teachers in the engineering domain.
- Equip the teachers with modern methods of teaching.
- Inculcate the professional values, ethics, and competencies in teachers.
- Provide guidance to adopt changes in the curriculum according to the industrial needs.
|Average Course Fee||INR 6,000-70,000|
FDP in Management Domain
This is a training program for management educators who teach management and allied subjects like commerce, human resource & labor relations, organizational behavior, marketing, statistics, operations, economics, banking, finance, computer application, strategy, sociology, etc. The course will cover areas like:
- Case and teaching skill development.
- Research methodology
- Research skill development
- Perspectives on management
- Area wise specialization courses
|Average Course Fee||INR 80,000-2,20,000|
Source: Official Institute Websites
Faculty Development Program Colleges
We have provided the list of top colleges offering Faculty Development Program in the table given below.
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||Name of the Institute||Admission Process||Course Fee||Course Duration||Average Salary Package|
|1||Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad||Based on educational qualification, statement of purpose, and telephonic interview||INR 2,18,300||4 months||INR 6,96,000-22,20,000 per annum|
|6||Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode||Direct admission||INR 14,000 – INR 23,000||1 week||INR 696,000 - INR 2,220,000 per annum|
|7||Indian Institute of Management, Indore||Direct admission||INR 88,500||5 weeks||INR 696,000 - INR 2,220,000 per annum|
|15||Indian Institute of Management, Trichy||Direct-admission||INR 20,000 - INR 24,000||1 week||INR 696,000 - INR 2,220,000 per annum|
|55||Vellore Institute of Technology, Vellore||Direct-admission||INR 3,000||2 weeks||INR 696,000 - INR 2,220,000 per annum|
Source: College Websites
This course is mainly offered by the top IIMs. The course provided by IIMs is open for faculty of any institute to join. But, apart from them, many other colleges also offer these programs, some of which are only for the faculty of the course-offering college.
The below table compares the top colleges providing FDP programmes.
|Top Colleges||IIM Ahmedabad||IIM Indore||IIM Kozhikode|
|Overview||IIM Ahmedabad has been constantly ranked among the best management schools in India. Several programs offered by IIM Ahmedabad are also internationally ranked. This is even the first b-school in the country to be awarded EQUIS (European Quality Improvement System).||It is recognized among the premier b-schools that offer the teaching, research, and interaction with the industries.||IIM Kozhikode is among the few centers for the development of digital libraries in the country. It has been known to have filled the full quota for ST/SC candidates and they also have an incubation center for excellence to help the ST/ SC students to overcome the deficiencies of communication and personality. etc.|
|Ranking||NIRF 2020 - 1||NIRF 2020 - 7||NIRF 2020 - 6|
|Course Fee||INR 2,18,300||INR 88,500||INR 20,000|
|Course Duration||4 months||1 week||5 weeks|
|Average Placement Package||INR 6,96,000 - INR 22,20,000||INR 6,96,000 - INR 22,20,000||INR 6,96,000 - INR 22,20,000|
FDP Online Courses
The online FDP program and courses are offered through MOOCS (Massive Open Online Courses).
- AICTE has recently announced a special MOOCS series on FDP for the faculties of various engineering colleges across India.
- These courses are generally free to join, but demand nominal charges for certification.
- The courses are available in Swayam platform and are governed by NPTEL.
- All the engineering faculties are free to join these courses.
- These courses do not involve any kind of travelling and are delivered on a completely online mode.
- These courses include interactions with the most reputed IIT faculties of India along with a detailed discussion on improving the quality of teaching in various technical colleges.
- Though these courses cannot be considered equivalent to the physical FDP courses, still the certificates will definitely add a great value to your CV.
Faculty Development Program Syllabus
FDP is a very short term course but a large number of topics are covered during this short time. So, the syllabus of FDP is very hectic.
Below are the topics that will be covered during the course:
|Foundation Module||Philosophy of Management|
|Economics & Policy|
|Decision Models & Statistical Data Analysis|
|Introduction to Finance and Money|
|Teaching Pedagogy||Case-based training|
|Course design and evaluation|
|Advanced Research Module||Philosophy of Research|
|Empirical Research Methods|
|Multivariate Data Analysis|
|Research Documentation & Publication|
Faculty Development Program Job Prospects and Career Options
This course improves the skills of teachers to provide high-level education in colleges, universities, management schools, training centres, etc. They can work in academic institutes as a professor, assistant professors, postdoctoral associate, instructor, head of the department, etc
Some of the job options and description are mentioned below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary Package|
|Professors||Professors are usually the ones who hold a PhD and have specialized in a particular field. They instruct students in a variety of academic and vocational subjects taught in colleges. They also conduct research and publish research papers and books. They can work in private and public colleges, universities, professional schools, career & vocational schools.||INR 15,92,000 per annum|
|Assistant Professor||Assistant professors are employed at the universities to carry out all aspects of university teaching and to conduct research. They usually assist the professors, supervise the students, conduct investigations for research, and serve on university committees.||INR 4,20,000 per annum|
|Associate Professor||They are also the ones with a PhD and are specialized in a particular field. Their work is similar to the professors but is ranked below them but higher to the assistant professors. Their duties include developing lesson plans and curricula, provide lectures, advise students, conduct research, etc||INR 9,36,000 per annum|
|Instructor||Instructors are those who impart skills and are usually employed in the training centers and colleges.||INR 4,20,000 per annum|
|Lecturer||Lecturers are usually hired by the academic institutions based on their career merit. They don't need a PhD to specialize in an area. They usually have significant work experience in the subjects they teach. They also work part-time in some institutes.||INR 3,36,000 per annum|
Source: Glassdoor Survey
Faculty Development Program Future Scope
- The faculties who wish to pursue higher studies can go for Ph.D. or M.Phil.
- The course has taught them enough to do research and get published in top academic journals. So the program will be quite beneficial while pursuing a Ph.D. and M.Phil.
- They can get promoted in their jobs.
- They can shift their jobs in the academic field from teaching to managing the institute and any other related works.
- They will be able to conduct research.
- They can apply for exams and they can get jobs in government institutes and institutes of national importance.
Faculty Development Program FAQs
Ques. What is the requirement of a faculty development program?
Ques. How are the admissions conducted for the Faculty Development Program?
Ques. Which are the top institutes that conduct faculty development programs?
So, the top B-schools that conduct this as a regular course are:
- Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad
- Indian Institute of Management, Indore
- Indian Institute of Management, Kozhikode
Ques. Which is a better course FDP or MDP?
Ques. What are the areas of study for the management FDP?
- Case and teaching Skill Development
- Research Methodology
- Research Skill Development
- Perspectives on Management
- Area wise specialization elective course
Ques. What is the average course fee for the faculty development program?
Ques. What are the job options available after a faculty development program?
Ques. What is the average salary expected by the educators after the faculty development program?
Ques. What is the average duration of the program?
Ques. Is there any faculty development program conducted for medical faculties?
Ques. What are the centers that organize faculty development programs for medical faculties?
- Christian Medical College, Ludhiana
- Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College, Wardha
- Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi
- Gandhi Medical College, Secunderabad
- Seth GS Medical College & KEM Hospital, Mumbai.