Fashion Designing is considered one of the best vocational streams in India, as well as abroad. Fashion designing courses deals with the process of aesthetically designing and inculcate artistic skills while designing a fabric or accessory. In fashion designing courses, the designers are trained to follow the market trends and come up with the most innovative and eye catching piece of work. The Indian textile industry is currently estimated at INR 7,560 billion and is expected to reach around INR 15,610 million in 2024.
The Fashion Design industry employs around 45 million people directly and 65 million people indirectly in india. The average cost of studying Fashion Designing course in India ranges from INR 1.63 – 3.12 LPA. Post completing Fashion Design course, one can expect an average salary of INR 5.25 LPA.
Fashion Designing Courses After 12th are in demand all over the nationally as well as globally at various levels such as UG, PG, and Diploma. There are numerous Fashion Designing Colleges in India, which offer various fashion designing courses, such as BSc Fashion Designing, BA fashion design, Diploma in fashion design, and also MBA courses in fashion design.
What is Fashion Designing?
- Fashion designing courses teaches one to aesthetically design fabrics with some eye catching work, with various cuts and styles for all sorts of waerable cloths. In fashion designing courses, the designers are trained to follow the market trends and come up with the most innovative piece of work.
- Fashion designing courses can be pursued by anyone who has completed their 10+2 with 50% marks, and it allows the aspirants to apply for certificate fashion designing courses, diploma fashion designing courses, and UG courses in fashion design designing.
- Fashion Designing Online Courses are offered by websites like Coursera, Udemy, edX often free of cost or at affordable rates of INR 1,000-4,000.
- After the completion of the fashion designing courses, students get hired as Fashion Designer, Fashion Marketer, Fashion Concept Manager, Quality Controller, Fashion Consultant, etc.
- The average starting salary ranges between INR 3,00,000 and 10,00,000 per annum and after gaining relevant experience, professionals can earn up to INR 15,00,000 per annum.
Check: Fashion Designing Jobs
Fashion designing courses can also be pursued along with various design specialization courses such as interior design, graphic design, jewelry design courses to enhance the fashion designing skills such as Creativity, Knowledge of colors, Originality, and innovativeness.
Why Fashion Designing?
Fashion Designing is such a career which not only gives a privilege of relaxed working hours but also has various other benefits. Such benefits for fashion designing courses are:
- Job Scope: Fashion designing has no boundary, hence there will never be a surplus of designers. With every passing year, the fashion is changing, the trend is changing so the need of fashion designers will always remain. Hence the job scope for fashion designers is immensely high.
- Growing Business: Once you have completed your fashion designing course, you will not have to mandatorily work under any designer. After completing the Fashion Designing courses, you can also start your own business and start growing your business.
- Innovation: Fashion designing courses gives you an immense opportunity to do your own innovation. You can bring out any new fashion and make it a trend, there is a huge liberty to innovate ideas for designing.
- Salary Packages: After completing Fashion Designing courses, you can expect to get a high salary package.
- Work Culture: The work culture for fashion designers is always very creative and has comparratively less pressure as compared to other professions, as fashion designing is all about creativity and passion for doing something new. A bunch of creative people who try to bring out innovative ideas, always try to keep a calm, poised working environment.
Who can Pursue Fashion Designing?
- To be eligible for fashion designing courses, a candidate should clear class 10+2 exams with a minimum of 50% score from a recognized board.
- After that, a candidate can appear for fashion designing entrance exams such as NIFT, NID, CEED, UCEED to get admissions in fashion designing courses at UG and PG level.
- Apart from fulfilling the eligibility criteria, a candidate with creative skills, zeal to design clothes and accessories must pursue fashion designing courses.
What Fashion Designers Do?
The line of work for fashion designers is very interesting and innovative at the same time. The major portion of their work comprises of doing research about the trend, sketching, studying what customers want, studying fabrics, colors and making new trends. They also finalise the design and make outfits of the same design, which are thereby sent to retails, exhibitions and fashion shows for marketing. The work of a fashion designer does not end here, due to the recent urge of creating products which are sustainable, fashion designers are also equally responsible for creating and encouraging the creation of products that support sustainability.
What is a Fashion Stylist?
- There is a very thin line of difference between a Fashion Designer and a Fashion Stylist.
- A Fashion Stylist is someone who could be self employed or could also be working with some fashion brand or fashion boutique.
- Fashion Designers are Fashion Stylists but not all Fashion Stylists could be Fashion Designers.
- The job of a Fashion Stylist is to choose or select the perfect outfit for their clients.
- In other words, they can give advice to their clients regarding the kind of out would be perfect for their event and would also suit them.
- Their job does not limit to just providing the perfect outfit, they also need to arrange for the perfect jewelry, shoes, makeup, and hairstyle.
Fashion Designing Degrees
Like any other regular courses, Fashion Designing Courses can be pursued in various degrees, such as Diploma in Fashion Designing, Bachelor’s in Fashion Designing and Post Graduation in Fashion Designing. The eligibility of the courses depends on the heirarchical structure of the course. For a Diploma in Fashion Designing any student who has cleared class 12th boards can apply for the course, however for Post Graduation in Fashion Designing, a students has to clear Bachelor’s degree with sufficient aggregate marks.
Below mentioned in details are the degrees for your reference,
Diploma in Fashion Designing Courses
Diploma in fashion designing courses is training courses that help the candidate learn appropriate fashion designing skills for getting a job in a specific designing industry.
- Diploma in fashion designing courses varies for a duration of 1-2 years, in which the candidates are only taught the practical skills needed to make a career in fashion designing courses, little to no stress is given on theoretical knowledge.
- Diploma and PG diploma in fashion designing courses, and related fields like textile designing, are a few of the courses that are available in India, offered by colleges like International Institute of Fashion Technology, Pearl Academy, etc.
- The applicant should have passed Class 12 or equivalent from a recognized board for pursuing diploma in fashion designing courses.
- In the case of a PG diploma in fashion designing courses, a bachelor’s degree in Fashion Designing courses with 50% of marks from a recognized university is required.
- The applicants who have completed their 3 years Bachelors's course in any stream from a recognized board are eligible for this course.
- The admission process for some colleges takes place by conducting a written examination followed by personal interviews whereas other colleges grant direct admission to the students.
- The average cost of pursuing a diploma in fashion designing courses ranges between INR 25,000- 4,50,000.
- Diploma fashion designing courses provide employment opportunities in sectors like Boutiques, Media Houses, Fashion Show Organizers, etc at a salary of INR 2-6 LPA.
The table below mentions various diploma in fashion designing courses in India, along with top colleges and course fees.
|Course||College Name||Course Fee|
|UG Diploma in Fashion Designing||Vogue Institute of Art and Design||INR 95.58 K - 1.77 L|
|Pearl Academy, Bangalore||INR 18.9 L - 26.75 L|
|NIFT Delhi||INR 2.5 L|
|NIFT Mumbai||INR 3 L|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 4.45 L|
|New Delhi YMCA||INR 76 K - 1.65 L|
|Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden||INR 24.91 L - 26.75 L|
|JD Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 1.75 L - 5.25 L|
|Government Polytechnic Pune||INR 22.85 K|
|Periyar University, Salem||INR 4.62 - 7.22 K|
|PG Diploma in Fashion Designing||DOT school of design, Chennai||INR 90K - 1.8 L|
|NIFT Chennai||INR 2.25 L|
|Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia Avadh University||INR 9 K|
|Garware Institute of Career Education and Development, Mumbai||INR 2.25 L|
UG Fashion Designing Courses
UG Fashion Designing Courses are full-time courses available as BDes, BSc, and BA in fashion design or related specializations.
- Admission to these courses is based on entrance examinations conducted at state and national levels while some colleges prefer to offer admission based on merit.
- Admission to BSc fashion designing courses is done both through merit as well as through entrance examinations based on the institute.
- Some of the entrance tests of these institutes are AIEED, AIFD, CEED, USED, etc.
- Admission to the Bachelor of Fashion Design program is done through entrance examinations, however there are some institutes who offer admission based on the basis of merit.
- Admission to BA in Fashion Designing courses is done on the basis of the merit.
- Eligibility to sit for the entrance examinations includes clearing of class 12th with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- The duration of these courses varies between 3 to 4 years depending on the institutes.
Students after completion of their bachelor course get job prospects in the field of Costume Designing, Stylist, Trend Forecaster, Fashion Designer, etc. The starting salary that the students can expect is around INR 2-9 LPA.
The table below lists UG fashion designing courses in India, offered by top fashion designing colleges, along with the average course fee.
PG Fashion Designing Courses
Postgraduate fashion designing courses are full-time courses of 2 years, focusing on key specializations like fashion design, fashion management, etc.
- A student with a BDes/BA/BSc in fashion design is eligible for admissions in postgraduate fashion designing courses.
- Admissions to PG Fashion Designing courses are majorly done through entrance exams, like NIFT, CEED, SOFT, etc.
- Students who are looking to step into the research field should opt for postgraduate fashion designing courses as they are compulsory to pursue a PhD in fashion designing.
- The average salary that candidates can expect after completion of postgraduate fashion designing courses ranges from INR 2-10 LPA.
|MSc in Fashion Design||Lovely Professional University||3.06 L|
|Rashtrasant Tukadoji Maharaj Nagpur University||5.55 K|
|Bharathiar University, Coimbatore||34.29 K|
|Bangalore University||18.04 K|
|MDes||parul university||1.8 L|
|International School of Design, Kolkata||1.7 - 1.79 L|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||5.35 L|
|Lovely Professional University||3.06 L|
|MBA in Fashion Design/PGDM||Pearl Academy, South Delhi||8.6 L|
|Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles and Management||2.6 L|
|Footwear Design and Development Institute||5.18 L|
|ASBM University||6.96 L|
|Pearl Academy, Rajouri Garden||12.9 L|
|MA Fashion Design||Amity University, Noida||2.6 L|
|Manipal Academy of Higher Education||1.48 L|
|Thiruvalluvar University||14.7 K|
|Davangere University||19.59 K|
|Apeejay Institute of Design||4.1 L|
|MFtech||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Delhi||5.35 L|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||5.35 L|
|Renaissance University||1.74 L|
|ME/MTech in Fashion Design||Kumaraguru College of Technology - KCT||1.9 L|
|College of Engineering Guindy, Anna University||50 K|
|AIT Karaikudi - Alagappa Institute of Technology||50K|
Related Courses in Fashion Designing
Although Fashion designing courses are mostly offered in the domain of arts and sciences, but some of the colleges also offer MBA courses in fashion designing, the details of which are mentioned below:
MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management
- MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management is a 2 year program, involving the production of fashion products and how to manage its sales, and distribution.
- The main objective of MBA in Fashion Merchandising and Retail Management is to specialize in the areas of merchandising, marketing, retailing and supply chain management to manage the targets of the fashion industry.
- Fashion merchandising merges both fashion and business together. There is a lot of demand for trained fashion merchandising experts.
- The scope of the course is immense because the retail sector is the second largest sector which gives employment to more than 35 million people across India.
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore offers MBA in fashion merchandising and retail management for a duration of 2 years at a fee of INR 6.50 lakhs.
- To be eligible for the course, 50% marks in graduation is required and the admissions are done on the basis of scores in KMAT, MAT, Karnataka PGCET, CAT, KCET.
MBA in Fashion Design and Business Management
- MBA in Fashion designing and Business management is designed for individuals who wish to achieve an international and successful career in the Fashion industry.
- The course curriculum combines the management concepts of the fashion industry with various business modules of fashion design, marketing and production.
- Vogue Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore offers MBA in fashion design and business management for a duration of 2 years at a fee of INR 6.50 lakhs.
- To be eligible for the course, 50% marks in graduation is required and the admissions are done on the basis of scores in KMAT, MAT, Karnataka PGCET, CAT, KCET.
MBA in Textile Management
- MBA in Textile Management is a 2 year course which involves the study of management and administrative techniques that are applied in the textile industry.
- To be eligible for MBA in textile management, 50% marks in graduation and valid scores in MAT, and other management exams conducted by Universities is required.
- Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel International School of Textiles and Management, Coimbatore and Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore offer MBA/PGDM in textile management.
- The average course fee to pursue MBA in textile management ranges from INR 1.8-2.60 lakhs.
- After MBA in textile management, you can earn around INR 2-6 LPA, by working at top companies like Arvind Ltd., Bombay Dyeing and Manufacturing Company, Bombay Rayon Fashions Ltd., Fabindia Overseas Private Ltd, etc.
Fashion Design Entrance Exams
After class 12, you can give the following fashion design entrance exams in order to be eligible for all kinds of fashion designing courses, offered at UG and PG levels:
|Entrance exam||Registration Date||Exam Date|
|NIFT 2021||Up to January 21, 2021||February 14, 2021|
|CEED 2021||Third week of September 2020||3rd week of January 2021|
|SOFT 2021||April 2021||May 2021|
|AIFD WAT 2021||February to March 2021||2nd week of May 2021|
|AIEED SAT 2021||From November 21, 2020||February 5 – 10, 2021|
|NID DAT 2021||January 9, 2021, to February 7, 2021||March 14, 2021|
|IIAD 2021||Up to April 20, 2021||April 24, 2021|
Fashion Designing Online Courses
Apart from the regular courses, students can also opt for online Fashion Designing Courses. Udemy and Coursera are the popular websites that provide Online Fashion Designing Courses, that range for a duration of 30 minutes- 20 hours.
The average cost for online Fashion Designing Courses ranges from INR 2,000 – 5,000.
These fashion designing courses are available either free of cost, or at an affordable fee of INR 400- INR 4,000.
Udemy Fashion Designing Courses
We have curated the list of most popular fashion designing courses on Udemy, based on users rating.
|Learn to draw fashion with Adobe Illustrator CC - Beginners||INR 4,480|
|Sketching for Fashion Design -- Beginner Course||INR 4,480|
|Introduction: Make and Sell Custom Shirts w/ Merch by Amazon||INR 1,280|
|Pattern Making for Fashion Design - Beginner Course||INR 4,480|
|Basic Fashion Illustration||INR 4,480|
|How To Create A Fashion Collection and Launch Your Own Brand||INR 4,480|
|Learn to draw fashion with Adobe Illustrator CC Intermediate||INR 4,480|
Coursera Fashion Designing Courses
The courses below are free of cost, however at the end of the course, you will be asked to pay a certain amount to get the certificate of completion.
|Fashion as Design||Free|
|Management of Fashion and Luxury Companies||Free|
|Modern and Contemporary Art and Design Specialization||Free|
|Design: Creation of Artifacts in Society||Free|
Specialization in Fashion Designing
Before making a career in fashion designing, it is important to know what specialization you want to pursue in fashion designing. The top specializations in fashion designing courses are mentioned below, according to the latest market trends and demand in the fashion industry.
- Textile design focuses on a wide range of skills such as handcrafted printing, digital techniques and handlooms.
- Textile design emphasizes on creative innovation by teaching artistic aesthetics with the technical aspects.
- Traditional and contemporary techniques of print design, weave design and surface ornamentation are the core areas of focus in textile design courses.
- The career options after textile design courses include textile designer, carpet & rug designer, textile artist & installation artist, etc.
Know More: Textile Design Courses
- Accessory design is a course that focuses on materials, production process, consumer behavior, design methodology, and market dynamics trends of fashion and lifestyle accessories.
- Under this specialization the topics of precious and costume jewellery, leather goods, footwear, watches, crystal ware are studied and taken into consideration.
- Fashion Technology courses focus on designing, printing, marketing, and merchandising of fashion products.
- The course involves market research, analysis of market trends and understanding quality, cost and standard of products.
- A fashion technology professional can work as an executive, designer and illustrator in textile mills, export houses, boutiques, jewellery houses, etc.
- Mushrooming of textile, apparel and accessory houses & showrooms have increased the demand of fashion technology professionals.
Know More: Fashion Technology Courses
- Fashion communication helps students in acquiring relevant communication skills that are required in the lifestyle industry.
- Fashion Communication is one of the new and latest specializations of fashion designing.
- Fashion communication professionals are required to develop a unique brand identity in domestic and international fashion markets, and maximise their brand reach.
- Graphic Design, Visual Merchandising, Retail Space Design, Styling, Photography, Fashion Journalism, PR/Events & Fashion Advertising, etc. are some of the careers that can be pursued after completion of fashion communication courses.
- In fashion management courses, students learn leadership and managerial skills in order to build their value and competitiveness in the fashion industry.
- Fashion management professionals get exposure to marketing, merchandising, retailing, supply chain management, garment exports, and a variety of other topics.
- Along with learning management skills, the students also learn soft skills and basic ethics as well.
- The top career options in fashion management include that of a retail planner, retail merchandiser, export documentation officer, marketing manager, brand manager, e-commerce executive, business analyst, category manager, etc.
- Knitwear design has emerged as a crucial part of the fashion industry for fashion apparel.
- The various techniques of knit and purl has shown its versatility in various areas of fashion.
- It has become a crucial part of winter wear, active or sportswear, casual apparel, etc.
- Knitwear design professionals get hired in areas dealing with visual merchandising, retail space designing, retail planning & buying, quality control for fabric & apparel, etc.
Fashion Designing Courses Syllabus
The combination of core and elective subjects taught in a Fashion Designing course may vary as per the Degree/ Diploma that candidates are offered on completion of the fashion designing courses. Also, there can be slight variations in the fashion designing courses curriculum from college to college.
Diploma Fashion Designing Courses Syllabus
|Diploma in Fashion Design|
|Fashion Designing||Fashion Accessory|
|Fashion Illustration||Fashion Ornamentation|
|Textile Science||Product Specification|
|Pattern Making and Garment Construction||Computer Aided Design|
|Fashion Merchandising and Management||Fashion Marketing and Management|
|PG Diploma in Fashion Design|
|Fashion Design Process||Visualisation and Presentation Techniques|
|Contextual design studies and Communication||Fashion Form and Function|
|Traditional Textiles & Crafts||Business Studies & Entrepreneurship|
UG Fashion Designing Courses Syllabus
|BDes Fashion Design|
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Draping||Introduction to Textiles|
|Introduction to Fashion design & Fashion Technology||Fashion Theory|
|Introduction to Fashion Sketching & Illustration||History of Fashion|
|Apparel Development||Current Trends and Forecasting|
|Computer Aided Design||Apparel Development|
|Fashion Illustration||Design Process|
|Advanced Draping||Model & Prototype Development|
|Research & Communication||Element of Colour & Design|
|Fashion Model Drawing||Fashion Accessory|
|BA Fashion Design|
|Apparel Construction Methods||Colour Mixing|
|Computer-Aided Design||Elements of Textiles|
|Fabric Dyeing and Printing||Fashion Illustration and Design|
|Fashion Studies||History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making and Garment Construction||Leather Designing|
|Manufacturing Technology||Surface Development Techniques|
|BSc Fashion Design|
|Analytical Drawing||Apparel Construction Methods|
|Basic Computer Studies||Computer-Aided Design|
|Colour Mixing||Basic Photography|
|Grading||History of Costumes|
|Introduction to Pattern Making & Garment Construction||Indian Art Appreciation|
|Creative Jewellery||Current Global Fashion Trends|
|Elements of Design||Draping|
|Elements of Textiles||Fabric Dyeing and Printing|
|Fashion History||Fashion Forecasting|
|Fashion Illustration and Design||Design Process|
|Fashion Studies||Free Hand Drawing|
|Garment Construction||Geometrical Construction|
PG Fashion Designing Courses Syllabus
|MDes Fashion Design|
|Introduction to Design||Visual Design- Principles and Applications|
|Form Studies||Graphic Design|
|MA Fashion Design|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women’s Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer Designing|
|Retail Marketing & Merchandising||Knitwear Design Technology|
|Construction of Men’s Wear||-|
|MBA in Fashion Management|
|Basic Product and Manufacturing Related Knowledge||Principles of Fashion Marketing, Merchandising and Management|
|Economic Analysis and Statistics||Information Technology|
|Marketing Research and Consumer Behaviour||Global Textiles and Apparel Product Market Characteristics|
|Retail Management and Advanced Export Merchandising||Quantitative Techniques and Operations Research|
|Management Accounting||Marketing Strategies and Brand Management|
|International Marketing||Fashion Forecasting and Product Development|
|Financial Management and International Finance||Human Resource Management|
|Supply Chain Management and e-Business||Customer Relationship Management|
|Visual Merchandising||Intellectual Property Rights|
|MSc Fashion Design|
|Apparel Manufacturing Technology||Fashion Communication|
|Advanced Pattern Making||Construction of Women's Wear|
|Design Illustration||Computer-Aided Designing|
|Retail Marketing and Merchandising||Construction of Men's Wear|
|Knitwear design Technology||-|
Subjects Needed for Fashion Designing After 10th
In class 10th, students can choose Arts as their primary stream, if they want to pursue fashion designing courses later in life.
While the specific fashion designing subjects list after 10th varies from college to college, all of them should cover the following list of subjects:
|History of fashion designing||Trends in fashion|
|Youth fashion market||Equipments in fashion|
|Fabrics and Raw materials||Tools and Materials|
|Clothing and Designing||Product Making|
|Pattern making by hand||Illustrations|
Best Colleges for Fashion Designing in India
The table below lists the top fashion designing colleges in India, offering various types of fashion designing courses that we have summarised in the sections above.
|India Today Ranking||College Name|
|7||Pearl Academy, New Delhi|
|9||Symbiosis Institute of Design|
|10||Pearl Academy, Jaipur|
|11||Amity School of Fashion Technology|
|13||Army Institute of Fashion Design|
|17||IMS Design and Innovation Academy, Noida|
|22||Axis Institute of Fashion Technology, Kanpur|
|24||Vogue Institute of Art and Design, Bangalore|
Fashion Designing Courses: Recommended Books
Some of the top recommended books for fashion designing are tabulated below for your reference,
|Name of the Books||Authors|
|The End of Fashion||Tri Agins|
|The Little Dictionary of Fashion||Christian Dior|
|The Beautiful Fall||Alicia Drake|
|Gods and Kings||Dana Thomas|
|Love Style Life||Garance Dore|
Fashion Designing Courses: Skills Required
|Good Drawing Skills||Creativity|
|Artistic Thinking||Innovative Skills|
|Observation Skills to Look for Detailing||Competitiveness|
|Good Communication Skills||Eye for Detail|
|Persuasiveness||Good understanding of market and customer lifestyle|
Fashion Designer Jobs
Below are some of the common and popular job roles that candidates can expect after fashion designing courses, and the average salary offered.
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Fashion Designer||INR 1,77,000-10,00,000|
|Fashion Marketer||INR 1,78,000-10,00,000|
|Fashion Consultant/Personal Stylist||INR 1,76,000-3,98,000|
|Fashion Coordinator||INR 1,41,000-5,39,000|
|Technical Designer||INR 10,00,000-15,00,000|
Fashion Design Top Recruiters
|Arvind Garments||ITC Ltd.|
|Madura Garments||Modelama Exports|
|Omega Designs||Orient Craft|
|Shahi Exports||Span India|
|Uni Style India||Texport Overseas|
|Pearl Global||Mahajan Overseas|
Fashion Designing Courses: FAQs
Ques. What are the roles and responsibilities of a fashion designer after completing their Fashion designing courses?
Ans. The role of a fashion designer includes designing original garments, accessories, and footwear. The designer has to choose the pattern, sketch the design, and select the fabric for coming out with the end product. All the fashion designing courses are designed such that each of the fashion designers becomes equally equipped in their own professional life.
Ques. What are the total fees for Fashion Designing Courses?
Ans. The average fees for the fashion designing courses vary from INR 3,00,000- INR 8,00,000. The fees also vary from institute to institute, but more or less it starts from INR 90,000
Ques. How many types of fashion designing courses are there?
Ans. There are many types of fashion designing courses, such as certificate courses, diploma courses, UG courses, and PG courses.
Ques. Is there a demand for Fashion Designers?
Ans. The fashion industry is huge and the demand for this industry increases day by day. Millennials are more and more fashion-conscious. Large retail outlets, boutiques, and renowned fashion designers hire fresh fashion graduates.
Ques. How is the life of a fashion designer?
Ans. A fashion designer needs to do resourcing work to find what’s new in the market. The design is done according to the USP of the brand. They develop prototypes with the sampling department. They follow trend forecasting for developing any design in any particular season. They create mood boards and start their illustration work. They generate their ideas first on paper and later they communicate these ideas to their pattern makers. They make their pattern and prototype are created and when they get sure about the looks of the garment they proceed to work on the selected final fabric.
Ques. Is Fashion Designing a good career?
Ans. Fashion designing is a rewarding career for those who are artistic and have a knack for creativity. There are many courses available for the students who have an interest in this field to pursue. Post completion of the course, there are numerous job opportunities to try first-hand experience in the fashion industry. The professionals should have good communication and decision-making skills.
Ques. What is the work-life balance as a fashion designer?
Ans. Being a designer, there is ample workload on their head. Even working as a part of a team in a large organization, one can expect long days and weekends occasionally. The workload increases if you are part of a smaller team/ label.
Ques. What kind of education do you need to be a fashion designer?
Ans. To be hired as a fashion designer one needs to possess at least a bachelor’s degree in the field of design. Full-time Fashion Designing courses offered at the undergraduate level are usually of three to four years duration. The education and training required to be a fashion designer are such that aspirants should have adequate knowledge of fabrics, textiles, and fashion trends.
Ques. Where can fashion designers work?
Ans. After completing a degree in Fashion Design aspirants can either start their own design label or can even work with an established fashion designer. Apart from this, corporates and retail outlets also hire fashion design graduates.
Ques. How much does a fashion designer earn in India?
Ans. A fashion designer in India typically earns anywhere between INR 1,70,000 to 10,00,000 in the initial stage.
Ques. What is the total fees for fashion designing courses?
Ans. Fashion designing courses fee in top colleges such as NIFT Delhi or NIFT Mumbai ranges between INR 1,00,000-3,00,000.
Ques. How many types of fashion designing courses are available in India?
Ans. There are certificate, diploma, UG, PG and PhD courses available in fashion designing, in both online as well as offline mode. You can check the article to know about all these courses in detail.