Interior Designing, as the name implies, is related to the art of designing, restructuring and modifying architectural creations for both indoor and outdoor projects. There are several types of courses to choose from in Interior Designing like Certifications in Interior Designing Courses, Diploma in Interior Designing Courses, Undergraduate Interior Designing Courses, Postgraduate Interior Designing Courses and Doctoral Interior Designing Courses, that students can choose from, who aspire to make a career in the field of Interior Designing.
The market for home interiors and renovation in India is estimated to be around USD 20 billion – USD 30 billion. With the steady growth in commercial real estate, the interior designing solution has emerged as a progressive trend in the Indian market.
The duration of an Interior Designing courses depends on the types of course that one chooses. Students can opt for Interior Designing courses After 12th, such as Interior Designing Online Courses. For pursuing Online Interior Designing Courses, one has to clear class 12 board exams. However for a Diploma degree the duration of the course ranges from 1 - 2 years, for Undergraduate courses the duration is for 3 years, Postgraduate Interior Designing courses cover a time period of 2 years and a Doctoral degree in Interior Designing time duration ranges anywhere between 4 - 5 years.
The eligibility criteria for pursuing Interior Designing courses depends on the types of course you want to pursue, however the minimum requirements for pursuing Interior Design courses would require you to have qualified Class 12th board exams from a recognised University.
All About Interior Designing Courses
Research conducted by the CII states that there are total 36,387 Interior Designers in India, thus making it one of the most sought after non conventional course professions in the country. With globalisation, a lot of unconventional courses has made it’s mark in the Indian foray, Interior Designing courses are one of them. In recent times, India too stands as one of the top countries producing extremely talented Interior Designers who are all set to compete in the global scenario.
- Interior Designing courses fee ranges from INR 15,000 - 3,00,000
- Interior Designing course admissions are done both on the basis of merit and on the basis of entrance exams as well
- Courses like Interior Designing after class 12th can be pursued, post completing class 12 board exams with 45% – 50% aggregate or equivalent CGPA
- There are several top interior designing colleges like NIFT Delhi, NIFT Mumbai, NIFT Kolkata etc, which gives an elaborate insight about the world of interior designing
- The various Interior Designing course entrance exams are: AIEED, NATA, CEED, NCIDQ, NID DAT, NIFT Entrance Exam, SOFT etc.
- Diploma in Interior Designing courses and Undergraduation in Interior Designing courses are the most opted ones as compared to the rest of the Interior Designing Courses.
- The duration of an Undergraduate degree in Interior Designing ranges for 3 years and Diploma in Interior Designing courses ranges within 1 - 2 years
- The average salary after completing an Interior Designing courses ranges between INR 5 - 12 LPA
Check: Interior Designing Colleges
What is Interior Designing?
Interior Designing courses is a relatively new subject as compared to other conventional subjects, but over the years the demand and growth in the Interior Designing industry has grown immensely, creating a plethora of job opportunities for fresh graduates. Anyone with a creative eye and with the knack to create something beautiful, Interior Designing courses are their go to choice at any circumstance.
Who can pursue Interior Designing Courses?
- Students who want to make it big in the interior design industry should opt for Interior Designing courses
- Students who have a creative side and are interested in creating new projects aesthetically can opt for this course.
- Students who have planned a career in architecture and design should pursue this course
- Interior Designing is basically a form of art, and any artist who wishes to create, recreate, remodel a structure balancing the trend as well as sustainability should pursue Interior Designing courses
- Apart from having a niche choice, there are no such eligibility requirements, so anyone who wishes to learn and create beautiful designs can opt for Interior Designing courses
Why Interior Designing Courses?
Amongst the array of choices that students have today, Interior Designing courses are one the very few courses that offer not only a fascinating career choice but also proves to be a life changing decision, considering the range of opportunities it offers. Below mentioned are few of the top reasons as to why should one pursue Interior Design Courses,
- Promising Career Opportunities: Choosing Interior Designing courses will open the door for tremendous career opprtunities. According to latest statistics, there is a grave scarcity of Interior Designers in India. Latest survery claims that the career opprtunities for Interior Designers would rise 20% – 23% by 2022. The increasing number of constructions both in urban and rural areas are a sign that the Interior Design industry is growing and will have a steady future.
- Engaging and Challenging Projects: Each project that one takes up as an Interior Designer should be challenging and interesting as well. It will test your creativity, technical skills, patience and commitment to your clients. Since Interior Design is an active profession, you will never get bored or feel monotonous.
- Potential for Entreprenourship: With the evolvement and growth of construction projects both at urban and rural areas, it gives immense strength to the fact that there is a wide possibility for Interior Designers in India. The more the growth of construction will lead to more Interior design projects, which will eventually help you to build your own Interior design agency in the near future.
- Diverse Sector and Industry: Interior Design courses will give the opprtunity to work in various sectors such health industry, education sectors, public spaces, library, corporate buidings etc. There is almost a wide range of sectors that one can work in and never get bored with their profession
Softwares Required for Interior Designing Courses
Interior Designing Course is a highly specialized subject that deals with the intricacies of the world of design and structuring. Needless to say, this particular field of study needs an immense amount of esthetical as well as technical surveillance inorder to make something that would not only satisfy the clients demands but also satiate the creative eye of an Interior Designer.
Below mentioned are some of the important softwares, that are used in Interior Design industry,
Autodesk AutoCAD LT
- This is one of the most popular software applications used by interior designers, architects, engineers, construction professionals and others.
- This software allows you to design, draft and document precise drawings with 2D geometry.
- A comprehensive suite of editing and annotation tools and an intuitive user interface are what makes this a top designer pick
- AutoCAD LT is compatible with both Mac and Windows operating systems, and the most recent version also offers cloud connectivity, an updated measurements functionality and finally faster performance.
- SketchUp Pro modelling suite helps design professionals to find fast, easy 3D modeling for anything from passive buildings to contemporary furnishings
- It helps to create detailed scaled drawings in 2D, and then add custom styles and materials that bring a designer’s vision to the screen.
- SketchUp integrates with other software Virtual Reality applications, thus letting a designer walk clients through his / her projects in astounding detail.
- TurboCAD offers professional softwares for experienced 2D and 3D CAD users.
- The architectural design suite includes parametric architectural objects, sections and elevations with increased functionality to both the architectural and mechanical areas of the program
- TurboCAD prides itself on its photorealistic surface modeling and lighting and those designing with sheet metal or wood may particularly enjoy these materials specific tools.
Autodesk 3ds Max
- Autodesk 3ds Max helps clients experience a designer's proposed work in beautiful and hightech detail.
- The software delivers superb graphics for 3D animations and models as well as games and images.
- Also, when it comes to productivity, automated processes can help streamline deadlines and connect production, so that the designer can spend more time managing the workflow
- Revit is a building information modeling software across disciplines including architecture, interior design, landscape architecture and contracting.
- This software helps to efficiently and accurately capture your design in 3D and produce complete model based building designs and documentations, automatically update floor plans, elevations, sections, and 3D views
- Among the most popular choices in architectural design software, Archicad enables architects and interior designers to create accurate construction details and estimate quantities of building materials required.
- This software also models and coordinates openings that are necessary to document and share with engineers and other consultants.
- With the ability to codecheck design, enter client requirements and integrate teams and documents, Archicad remains a top choice for architects and interior designers.
- Easyhome Homestyler is a free design software, with which a designer can easily build floor plans in 2D and 3D with accurate measurements.
- Homestyler also creates a photorealistic visualization for both the designer and the clients to walk through
- It is sort of a coordinating app that lets a designer design on the go. If you are on budget, but would like to experiment with easy to learn tools which would provide an accurate design then this app is the go to app.
- Infurnia allows architects, interior designers and clients to collaborate and interact during the design process.
- Detailed floor plans with multi layered walls, advanced flooring and roofing, false ceiling and customizable staircase tools are available that helps a designer to outline a project in detail.
- Plus plans created to 2D can be instantly converted into 3D depictions, while drafting tools can be used to draw elevation views.
- Launched by a team of architects turned software developers, Morpholio’s applications include digital tools for sketching and presenting creative work
- This application was originally available for iOS mobile devices but now a desktop tool for Mac, help designers to solve tough technical problems they face everyday
- It is the oldest and most prominent photo software application also recognized as the industry leader for enhancing and organizing photos.
- With Photoshop one can adjust clarity, color and tone, manipulate effects or add graphics to your imagery.
- Fuigo was designed as a tool to allow interior designers to manage everything from proposals to installation all in one place.
- In addition to help a designer organize and help plan projects, Fuigo can schedule and track invoices and payments
- Streamline sourcing, purchasing, tracking and billing with this all in one tool, allows smaller designer firms to access the resources of much bigger ones.
- Built to help design firms of all sizes, Ivy is a program that will help a designer manage his / her business more efficiently.
- From sourcing products to sending proposals and invoices, generating purchase orders, and creating room boards with ease, this app does it all.
- Ivy’s community resources also offer a place to exchange ideas and best practises.
Types of Interior Designing Courses
There was a time when Interior Designing courses in India were only meant for Undergraduate studies, however with advancement of time and technology Interior Designing Course has been divided into various disciplines. Anyone who aspires to become an architect or an interior designer can pursue from a plate of varied Interior Designing Courses that are offered across various Colleges, Universities and Institutions.
Interior Designing courses are bifurcated into 5 diverse course structures, Certificate in Interior Designing Courses, Diploma in Interior Designing Courses, Undergraduate Interior Designing Courses, Postgraduate Interior Designing Courses and Doctoral Interior Designing Courses. Below mentioned tables will discuss the courses along with their respective fees and durations,
|Online Interior Designing Courses||Best Free Interior Design Courses (Udemy)|
|Free Interior Design Classes & Courses (LinkedIn Learning)|
|Oxford Home Study|
|Alison Diploma in Interior Design|
|MIT Open Courseware: Principles of Design|
|Certificate in Interior Designing Courses||Certificate in Print Design for Apparel and Home|
|Professional Certificate in Styling for Interior|
|Certificate in Styling for Home|
|Certificate in Textiles for Interiors and Fashions|
|Diploma in Interior Designing Courses||Diploma in Interior Designing|
|Master Diploma in Interior Designing|
|Advance Diploma in Interior Designing|
|Undergraduate Interior Designing Courses||UG Program in Interior Design|
|B.Sc in Interior Design|
|B.Sc in Interior Design and Decoration|
|International Dual Degree Programme in Interior Designing|
|Postgraduate Interior Designing Courses||PG Program in Interior Design and Styling|
|M.Voc. in Interior Designing and Business Management|
Certificate in Interior Designing Courses
Certifications in Interior Designing Courses are widely available throughout the country across various Institutes.
- The eligibility criteria for Certificate courses in Interior Designing is, candidates should have cleared their Class 12th board examination from a recognized board
- The average Interior Designing Certificate course fee ranges from INR 35,000 - 1.5 LPA
- The duration of the Certificate courses generally limit from 6 months to 2 years.
|Name of the Course||Duration of the Course||Average Fees of the Course (INR)|
|Certificate in Computer - Aided Interior Design||6 months||35,000|
|Certificate in Interior Design||6 months||55,000|
|One Year Foundation Program in Interior Design||1 year||90,000|
|Online Program in Interior Design||3 month||NA|
|Two Year Super Specialization Program in Interior Design||2 years||90,000|
|Three months certificate in Interior draftsmanship||3 month||NA|
|Certificate in Interior Design - Home Space||11 month||1,25,000|
|Certificate in Interior Design - Commercial Space||11 months||1,25,000|
|Certificate in Interior Decoration||1 year||45,000|
|Advance certificate in Interior Designing||2 years||NA|
Diploma in Interior Designing Courses
- Diploma in Interior Designing courses can be pursued by students once they fulfil the eligibility criteria of competing graduation in any discipline with minimum 45% - 50% aggregate score
- The average salary post completing a Diploma in Interior Designing course ranges anywhere between 5 - 15 LPA
- The duration of Diploma in Interior Designing courses ranges between 1 year - 3 years
|Name of the Course||Duration of the Course||Average Fees of the Course|
|UG Integrated Diploma in Interior & Space Design||3 years||1,32,000 p/a|
|Diploma in Interior Design & Display||1 year||80,000 p/a|
|Diploma in Interior Design||3 years||NA|
|Diploma in Architecture Design||11 months||1,75,000 p/a|
|Graduate Diploma in Interior Design||1 year||1,59,000 p/a|
|Diploma in Interior Design & Decoration||1 year||NA|
|Diploma in Interior Design & Lighting 4W||4 weeks||1,66,000 p/a|
|Advanced Diploma in Interior Design Management||NA||19,900 p/a|
|Diploma in Architecture||1 year||1,10,000 p/a|
|Advanced Diploma in Interior Design||NA||1,72,000 p/a|
Undergraduate Interior Designing Courses
Undergraduate degree in Interior Designing courses is widely opted by many aspiring architects and interior designers.
- The eligibility criteria for pursuing Undergraduate degree in interior design is, candidates have to qualify their class 12th board examination with minimum 50% aggregate marks from a recognised board
- Few colleges have also set an age limit and students more or less than the mentioned age are not eligible for the course.
|Top Colleges||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||Mumbai||10,17,800|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||Delhi||10,00,000|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology||Kolkata||6,79,000|
|Pearl Academy||Mumbai, Maharashtra||5,83,000|
|Shyam University||Dausa, rajasthan||1,00,000|
|Arch Academy of Design||Jaipur, Rajasthan||3,95,000|
|Glamour School of Fashion & Interiors||Kolkata||2,40,000|
|United World Institute of Design||Kolkata||50,000|
Postgraduate Interior Designing Courses
For pursuing Post Graduation in Interior Designing courses the following criterias should be adhered to,
- Candidates should have cleared B.Des or Bachelor of Design form a recognised university
- The average fees for pursuing post graduate degree in M.Des or Master of Design ranges between INR 50,00 - 4,55,000
- The average salary received post the completion of this course ranges between INR 3 - 8 LPA
|Name of the College||Location||Average Fees (INR)|
|National institute of Design||Gandhinagar||3,18,000|
|National institute of Design||Ahmedabad||3,26,000|
|National institute of Design||Mumbai||2,24,000|
|Indian institute of Technology||Kanpur||64,050|
Doctoral Interior Designing Courses
Inorder to pursue Doctoral degree in Interior Designing courses, students have to abide by the following factors,
- The minimum eligibility criteria for pursuing Doctoral degree is, students should have cleared their Postgraduate degree from a recognized university with minimum 50% aggregate marks
- The average duration for pursuing PhD in Interior design is 3 years
|Name of the College||Location||Average Annual Fees (INR)|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Mumbai||67,900|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Kanpur||57,000|
|Indian Institute of Technology||Guwahati||12,200|
Top Recommended Books for Interior Designing Courses
Some of the top recommended books for an Interior Designing courses are mentioned below for your reference,
|Name of the Books||Authors|
|Live Beautiful||Athena Calderone|
|Evocative Style||Kelly Weatstler|
|Living with Pattern Coffee Table Book||Rebecca Atwood|
|Travel Home||Caitlin Flemming|
|More Beautiful||Mark D. Sikes|
How to start a career as an Interior Designer?
Interior Designing as a career needs a lot of patience, perseverance and motivation. There are various steps that are to be followed to start one's career into Interior Designing. Below mentioned points discusses them in details,
Work on your Software Skills
The entire process of Interior Designing is done with the help of a lot of softwares as discussed previously. The softwares not only makes the job easier but also the advanced technologies associated with it make the end process way more appealing to the clients. Thus resulting in a two way satisfied outcome. Softwares like Adobe Photoshop, Ivy, Fuigo, Morpholio Board and others are widely used in the Interior Designing industry for better performance.
The best way to learn any job is to dive into it and get to know all the intricacies and details that go behind the wall. Freelancing is a great way to start one’s career in Interior Designing. Through freelancing one can get a first hand experience of the entire process, starting from making a plan, to presentation, creating design layout for client approvals to finally building an entire project from concept to completion.
Create an Online Presence
Today from the time we open our eyes in the morning till the time we decide to call it a day, we are engrossed in various social media platforms. Social Media nowadays plays a vital role in promoting and advertising new products. Thus one should always make an effort to utilize this platform. Opening a personal account on any social media platforms and promoting your ideas, work and efforts will always be noticed and will have a positive impact on the business venture and also your strategies.
Study Others Work
One can always learn from others. No matter how good or best your work might be, there will always be someone who is a step ahead of you. One should always learn and get motivated from the work done by others and get ideas to improve one’s project.
Try Improving via Practise
As they say, practise makes a man perfect. You should always practise, no matter what the project or assignment is or how easy it is. The more you practice the better ideas you will perceive while doing it.
Skills Required for Interior Design Courses
There are alot of skills that one should master when they decide to take up Interior Designing as their career. Below mentioned points will discuss each of them in detail,
Creativity and Attention to Detail
While working on any project, one should have an eye for detail and creativity. This would not only achieve thoroughness and accuracy when accomplishing a task through concern for all areas involved but also result in a project overall.
One should be aware of the recent trends that are in demand and are in rage. Creating designs that are not in trend would take the organization at the losing end. One should be thoroughly aware of all the new trends that are roaring in the market, this would not only make the organization and your work famous but also will have a lasting impact among the clients.
Knowledge of Sustainable Practice
While creating new designs one should always plan it in such a way that it not only attracts the eyes of the clients but also does it sustainably. Planning a design in such a way that would affect the environment would not only give a negative image to your organization but also will be black listed by the government for damaging the environment.
Computer knowledge and Sketching Ability
Computer Knowledge is a must when it comes to making career decisions in Interior Designing. Along with it comes sketching. Interior designing is an art and creating an art would most definitely need you to learn the basics of sketching. Thus computer knowledge and sketching are the two most vital parts of Interior designing.
Top Online Interior Designing Courses
Taking into account the huge popularity of Interior Design courses, apart from the various Certificate, Diploma, Undergraduate and postgraduate courses there are a number of Online Interior Designing courses available in the field of Interior Designing. Some of them are tabulated below,
|Name of the Course||Duration|
|The Interior Design Institute||24 weeks|
|Udemy Online Interior Design Course||17.5 hours|
|Inchbald School of Design, Design Your Living Space Online Course||3 months|
|Lynda Interior Design and Visualisation Courses||Each tutorial last for 1 - 2 hours|
|The Art Institute of Pittsburgh||4 years|
|New York Institute of Art and Design||16 - 18 months|
|British College of Interior Design||12 - 24 weeks|
|Decorating Studio Free Online Interior Design Classes||6 classes|
Top Interior Designing Colleges in India
Below is enlisted few of the top colleges spread across the country,
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|Pearl Academy West Campus||6,89,090|
|IMS Design and Innovation Academy||2,37,000|
|Indian Institute of Art and Design||4,68,397|
|Apeejay Institute of Design||1,80,000|
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|Vogue Institute of Art and Design||95,580 - 10,74,000|
|Pearl Academy||10,63,000 - 24,91,000|
|Center for Creative Arts and Design||3,90,000|
|LISAA School of Design||1,50,000 - 10,00,000|
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|INIFD||1,65,000 - 1,68,000|
|Maeer’s MIT Institute of Design||5,65,000 - 7,68,000|
|Design And Me||65,000|
|Sinhgad College of Architecture||1,25,000|
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|Aditya College of Design Studies||94,400 - 1,75,000|
|Instituto Marangoni||1,66,000 - 9,90,000|
|Garware Institute of Career Education And Development||2,40,000|
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|NSHM Knowledge Campus||2,12,500|
|ESEDS School of Design||3,25,000|
|Global Institute of Fashion Technology||1,80,000|
|Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology||40,000|
Scope of Interior Designing Courses
After completing Interior Designing courses one can expect jobs at various profiles such as architect, interior designer, construction designer etc. Below mentioned are few of the most common job profiles students are offered post completion the course,
Some of the top recruiters in the field of interior designing are tabulated below,
|The Karighars||Savio and Rupa Interior Concepts||Morph Design Co.|
|Carafina||De Panache||Charcoal Project|
Top Job Profiles
Some of the top job profiles in the field of Interior Designing are tabulated below,
|Job Profiles||Job Description|
|Graphic Designer||Graphic designers create visual concepts using various computer software to communicate the idea to inform, inspire, and captivate the customer. They can get jobs in specialized design service companies, publishing or advertising companies, public relations industries, etc.|
|Design Manager||A design manager coordinates the design work and acts as a bridge between the team involved in the entire construction process, right from the work of the design thinking team, architects and the planning phase, to the studio work and the final product.|
|Set Director||An art director is responsible for the representation of the film or the media, overseeing the artistic aspect of the film or publication. A set Director is responsible and helps in deciding the location of a film or any publication as per the budget and the need for the script.|
|Industrial Designer||Industrial designers create, plan, and manufacture goods that include automobiles, household products, food packaging, electronics, medical equipment, etc. They work with other specialists to improve the existing product and to introduce new products.|
|Interior Designer||Interior designers make the indoor or interior spaces beautiful, safe, and functional by determining the requirements in the different spaces and selecting essential and decorative items. They can get jobs in specialized design services, architectural, and engineering-related services.|
Salary of an Interior Designer
The salary of an interior designer depends on the number of years he has worked and also the kind of knowledge s/he has gained over the years. The salary for various positions of an interior design industry are tabulated below for your reference,
|Name of the Course||Average Salary (INR)|
|Graphic Designer||3 LPA|
|Design Manager||11 LPA|
|Set Designer||8.5 LPA|
|Industrail Designer||7 LPA|
|Interior Designer||5 – 7 LPA|
Interior Design Courses: FAQs
Ques. What is the salary for Interior Designers in India?
Ans. Interior designers can expect a salary around INR 30,000 to INR 40,000 per annum.
Ques. What qualifications do you need to pursue interior design courses?
Ans. The one who has completed his class 10+2 from a recognized board, or has completed the bachelors from a related field should apply for interior design.
Ques. Can I learn interior design online?
Ans. Yes, there are various online courses in interior design that can help you learn the skills. There are free courses available on Alison, Linkedin Learning by Lynda, and in Skillshare. You can initially start with free courses to understand the basics of the course, and then you can take up paid courses to understand it more deeply.
Ques. How long is interior designing course?
Ans. The duration of interior designing course varies, depending upon the type of course you prefer. It can range from few hours to three years.
Ques. Is interior design a good career?
Ans. Yes, interior design is a good career as it offers wide range of job opportunities and career prospects. Interior designers are experts in their field, and they do charge a huge amount of fees for projects.
Ques. Is it hard to be an interior designer?
Ans. For getting jobs in an established interior design firm, a candidate should have a bachelor’s and master’s degree. Companies usually check for degrees and experience while hiring. Though a candidate can learn interior designing through online and short courses, finding jobs in reputed firms may be a bit difficult. But there are other options like, if the candidate is confident about their skills, then they can work as a freelancer or start their own business.