Junior Basic Training or JBT is a full-time Diploma level course. The duration of this course is 2 years divided into 4 semesters. This course is very important for teachers to acquire proper training in order to handle children at an elementary level.
This course helps students to learn and to develop classroom lesson plans, plan to teach, and assess tests and also provide both one-on-one and group instructions.
“It takes a big heart to change small minds.”
Admission selection for this course is based on both merit and entrance exams. Entrance exam syllabus may vary from one college to another. IGNOU Admissions in this course are very popular, check the latest updates regarding that.
Eligibility to the course is 10+2 or an equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks from a recognized university. Eligible candidates can apply for this course through college official websites or get application forms at respected colleges.
Most of the colleges offer Junior Basic Training courses in India. Every college has their own eligibility criteria, admission process, and fees structure. Some of the reputed colleges offering this course include:
- Himalayan group of professional institutions
- Singhania University
- Swami Vivekanand College of Education
- Abhilashi Post Graduate College of Education
Meanwhile, also explore some more related courses.
The average fee for this course ranges between INR 1,000 to 2 lacs, based on the student’s marks or scores obtained in their 10+2 examinations or entrance exams.
After completing this course, graduates may get opportunities in areas like Colleges and Universities, Coaching Centers, Libraries, Children Care Centers, Home Tutoring, Government Offices, Sports Centers, etc.
These graduates can work in positions like Teacher, Counsellor, Teacher Assistant, Education administrator, Librarian, Childcare worker, Social Worker, Coach, Public Relation Specialist, etc.
The average salary for these professionals ranges between INR 2-15 lakh as per their experience and expertise in this field.
What is JBT?
Check the mentioned below points to know more about JBT course details.
- Junior Basic Training is a very useful training course for those who want to teach at an elementary level. Child development, educational technology and teaching of mathematics are some areas included in this training program.
- The candidates who want to adopt the teaching profession at school level and the candidates who have confidence, helpful nature, and good communication are suitable for this course. JBT is designed to impart teaching skills and subject wise knowledge to the students.
- JBT is similar to D.El.Ed. (Diploma in Elementary Education) course. JBT and D.El.Ed. courses have similar syllabus, course structure and career prospects.
The major highlights of the Junior Basic Training or JBT course is enlisted in the table given below:
|Examination Type||Semester type|
|Admission Process||Merit-based or Entrance-based|
|Top recruiting organizations||Top Schools and Universities|
|Top recruiting areas||Colleges and Universities, Coaching Centers, Libraries, Children Care Centers, Home Tutoring, Government Offices, Sport Centres|
|Top job profiles||Teacher, Counsellor, Teacher Assistant, Education administrator, Librarian, Childcare worker, Social Worker, Coach, Public Relation Specialist|
|Course Fee||INR 1,000 to 2 lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 15 lakhs|
Why Study JBT?
- After completing a 2 years long academic program, JBT professionals become eligible to work at elementary level schools, nurseries and similar educational institutes imparting elementary education. This teacher training course suits those who want to teach at lower (elementary) level schools.
- This course has a wide scope of career opportunities, but apart from the career aspect, this course is suitable for those who love the profession of teaching and who feel an attachment with the Children.
- Thus the demand for the JBT courses is on rise with both the private and government institutes imparting the same. Apart from teaching jobs, candidates have the options of working as a consultant of education, assistants, educational employees, social workers, educational specialists, etc.
- The candidates can also go for further education in the field of teaching like B.Ed & M.Ed, and related courses.
Following are the list of JBT eligibility criteria for the aspirants to fulfill:
- Candidates have to pass 10+2 or an equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks from a recognized university.
- The percentage may vary from one institute to another.
- During the time of application filing, your age should be in between 17 and 28 years.
- The candidates who have appeared for higher secondary exams and are waiting for the results can also apply.
JBT Admission Process
Generally, the JBT admission process is based on either merit (Class XII scores) and/or various entrance examinations conducted by university/college offering the course. Group Discussions and Personal Interview rounds are also conducted by few universities.
Colleges come up with their cut off list, and after fulfilling the cutoff criteria, one becomes eligible to take admission in the JBT course. Here are the steps of the admission process through merit.
- Online Registration: The first step is to log on to the Online Application Portal and register by entering details like name, date of birth, mobile number, email ID etc. After the registration is completed, students will be given a “Username” and “Password” which will be their login credentials for the next time they log on to the portal.
- Submitting the Specific details: The next step is to log in using the provided Username and Password. Students will have to fill the application form with their basic details like Gender, Address Subject, Marks, etc.
- Uploading the Documents: Upload the scanned copies of the documents like marksheet, etc The scanned copies are preferred in black and white and must be of the specific size as mentioned by the college.
- Payment of Application Fee: Candidates need to pay the application fee in the next step. Once the payment of application fee is done , the application number will be sent to the candidate by SMS or through mail.
- Review: This is the final stage of getting admission on the basis of merit. Once all the registration and payments are done, the college will decide and publish the names of the students granted admission.
Top JBT colleges & universities like Himachal Pradesh Board of Education, offer admission to JBT course on the basis of one common entrance test, JBT CET. Here are the steps of the admission process through entrances.
- Online Registration: Students need to register providing their email id, mobile number, and password after which a login id will be created.
- Form Fill-up: Once the login ID is generated, candidates need to fill up the online form by giving personal and academic details. The course needs to be selected for which one wants to give the test.
- Document Upload: In the following step students will have to upload all the scanned documents like Photograph, Signature, Photo ID Proof, Class 10th and 12th Certificate, etc.
- Application Fee: Students need to pay the application fees using a Credit Card, Debit Card or Net Banking.
- Download Application Form: After successfully paying the application fee, save and download the form for future.
- Issuing of Admit Card: Based on the record of details submitted, admit cards will be issued to the eligible students.
- Exams: After getting the admit card, exam dates are released by different conducting bodies. One needs to sit for the exam and qualify it to get an admission successfully.
- Announcement of Results: In the final stage, the students get to know the results of the entrance test they have appeared for, and the admission is granted on the basis of the score obtained in the entrance exam.
JBT Entrance Exams
There are no specific joint entrance tests for JBT admissions. Most of the colleges offer admissions on the basis of merit but few of the states conduct entrance tests for the same. Few of them are listed below.
|EntranceTest||Conducting Body||Important Dates (Tentative)|
|Himachal Pradesh JBT CET Entrance Exam||Himachal Pradesh Board of School Education||12 July, 2020|
|Assam SCERT Entrance Exam||State Council of Educational Research and Training (SCERT)||1st Week of May, 2020|
|SCERT Chhattisgarh Entrance Exam||SCERT CG||July, 2020|
|Haryana D.El.Ed / JBT Entrance Exam||BSEH||1st Week of November, 2020|
|Uttarakhand JBT Common Entrance Test||UBSE||March 30, 2020|
How to get admission in top JBT colleges?
To get admission in top JBT colleges, the following points must be kept in mind:
- You can secure a place in a good college/institute if your Class XII scores are exceptional, and on the basis of your performance in entrance exams, conducted by the universities. The more the marks, better are the chances of admission into an esteemed college.
- General knowledge should be there of current affairs, history, geography, economics, etc.
- Keep a track of eligibility, course cut-off, application process, application deadline, application fee and other updates in newspapers, official websites, educational magazines, etc. so that you don’t miss any college offering JBT.
- Entrance examination preparation should be started as early as possible so that you have enough time to polish your general knowledge and quantitative skills.
- Practice as many papers and questions to increase time management skills during entrance exams.
- JBT entrance tests are basic aptitude tests. Questions consist of basic concepts that we have learned in our junior classes in high school.
- Candidates can expect questions from Hindi, General English, Numerical Ability and General Awareness. The questions of General Awareness will be based mainly on the events prevailing at the time of examination.
- Mathematical concepts should be clear. Most of the quantitative questions come from Class X and Class XII maths. Hence, you should be familiar with basic concepts, formulas and shortcuts.
JBT vs B.Ed
The certification courses in the domain of education are mainly of two types: JBT and D.El.Ed. Here we have compared the two courses in detail.
|Course||B.Ed (Bachelor of Education)||JBT (Junior Basic Training)|
|Overview||B.Ed allows one to pursue their career in teaching students up to the grade of 12th standard.||Junior Basic Training is a very useful training course for those who want to teach at an elementary & primary level.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||10+2 from any recognised board||10+2 from any recognised board|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 - 50,000||INR 1 to 2 Lakhs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 2 to 5 Lakhs||INR 2 to 10 Lakhs|
JBT Top Colleges
Given below are the college names, location and the average structure of the fees which will be taken by the college for this course.
|College Name||Location||Average Annual Fees|
|Aastha College||New Delhi||INR 3,619|
|Abhilashi Post Graduate College of Education||Mandi||INR 30,000|
|Arya Kanya Gurukul College of Education||Jind||INR 4,231|
|Brilliant University||Jamnagar||INR 89,000|
|City College of BTC||Lucknow||INR 16,300|
|District Institute of Education and Training||Kannur||INR 50,000|
|Dwarka Dass Memorial Sai College of Education||Hamirpur||INR 5,944|
|Elina Institute of Education||Delhi||INR 31,392|
|Gian Jyoti Institute of Teachers Education||Kangra||INR 7,240|
|Greenwood College of Education||Karnal||INR 13,200|
|Kashmir Creative Education Foundation||Jammu and Kashmir||INR 52,000|
|Kullu College of Education||Kullu||INR 89,990|
|Maharaja Agrasen College of Education||Haryana||INR 35,000|
|Mahatma Gandhi College of Education||Jammu and Kashmir||INR 35,000|
|Marc College of Education||Bhiwani||INR 46,500|
|Shimla College of Education||Shimla||INR 60,375|
|Singhania University||Jhunjhunu||INR 20,000|
|Swami Vivekanand College of Education||Yamuna Nagar||INR 60,000|
|Vaidh Shankar Lal Memorial College of Education||Solan||INR 1,76,215|
|Vidya Jyoti Academy||Delhi||INR 4,289|
Source: College Websites
JBT College Comparisons
JBT course is generally available in all the top education colleges and Universities in India. Here, we have compared three reputed colleges providing this course.
|Parameters||Abhilasha Post Graduate College of Education||Singhania University||Himalayan Group of Professional Institutions|
|Overview||Abhilasha Post Graduate College of Education is a NCTE approved education college situated in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh. It is a private college established in 2003.||It is a well known deemed university in Jhunjhunu, Rajasthan. It is well known for providing both certification level and Bachelor degrees in the field of education.||This college provides all the professional course degrees in fields of engineering, education, and technological domains.|
|Admission Process||Merit - based||Merit - based||Merit - based|
|Eligibility criteria||Minimum 50% in 10+2||Minimum 50% in 10+2||Minimum 50% in 10+2|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 30,000||INR 20,000||INR 27,000|
|Top Recruiters||Top schools of the locality||Top schools of the locality||Top schools of the locality|
The syllabus of JBT consists of all the topics and skills that a teacher needs to learn. Here we have enlisted the topics that are covered in this course:
|Courses||Subjects of Study|
|Foundations Courses||Education in Emerging Indian|
|Understanding the Child and the Learning Process (Educational Psychology)|
|Educational Management at Elementary Level|
|Education for Peace, Value, Environment and Human Rights|
|Teaching of Hindi|
|Teaching of Social Studies|
|Teaching of Environmental Science|
|Teaching of Mathematics|
|Teaching of English|
|Health & Physical Education Yoga|
|Sessional Work (PET/Yoga)|
|Art Education & Work Experience (Theory & Practical)|
|Pedagogical Courses||Teaching of Mother Tongue (Hindi)|
|Teaching of English Language|
|Teaching of Mathematics|
|Teaching of Environmental Studies (Sciences)|
|Teaching of Environmental Studies (Social-Studies)|
|Teaching of Work Experience|
|Teaching of Art Education|
|Teaching of Health and Physical Education|
|School Experience Program||-|
|Practical Work||Co-curricular Activities|
This field provides one with an opportunity to develop and educate a generation and thus help in the process of Nation building. Lots of diverse job opportunities are available in this field.
- This course will prepare the students to take on any challenge in the field of education. So, after passing this course, they can get a job in any reputed private or government school.
- Students can also get jobs in various coaching institutes and also become self employed by starting their own coaching centre.
- The average starting salary for schools in India is around INR 3,00,000, while the starting salary for coaching institutes ranges between INR 4,00,000 to 6,00,000.
- Candidates can also go for further study in the field of education, and join degrees like BEd, MEd, etc.
- After completing these higher degrees, the candidates can either go for a Faculty position in various higher secondary schools and junior colleges, or go for other related jobs.
Some of the job positions related to these degrees include Community education officer, Education administrator, Learning mentor, Primary school teacher, Lecturer, Childcare taker, Secondary school teacher, Teaching assistant, Family support worker, and Career adviser.
Given below are the major job positions, their descriptions, and the average annual salary for each position.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Teacher||Teachers are responsible for adopting general education lessons and teaching the various subjects, helping the disable students by reading and writing subjects. They also teach communication skills, interpersonal skills, literacy skills, and other skills for students. They also plan, organize, analyze, and assign activities that are specific to a student's abilities.||INR 3 to 4 Lacs|
|Counsellor||Counselors are responsible for planning, monitoring, assisting with the business case, translating, requirements eliciting, simplifying requirements, and managing requirements in schools. They also play a key role by providing commercial solutions for the problems and testing the issues happening in school institutions. They can also invent new systems for developing school environments, such as stretching classrooms and reducing fees.||INR 2 to 3 Lacs|
|Social Worker||Social workers are responsible for understanding the human behavior and thought processes can prove quite valuable to a worker. They often choose to specialize in a certain area such as children, and school or medical and public health. The goal of all of these professionals is to help clients improve quality of life by dealing with personal problems.||INR 2 to 3 Lacs|
|Child Care Worker||Child Care workers are responsible for maintaining children with care, supervising caretaking staff, operating type of machinery for their duties, communicating with children’s parents and giving feedback about them.||INR 8 to 9 Lacs|
|Public Relation Specialist||Public relation specialists are responsible for maintaining and establishing cooperative relationships with the media, local communities, the government, consumers, and other public-interest groups. They can work with different industries and organizations, including hospitals, business firms, or nonprofits. Some professionals work as freelancers and work with independent clients.||INR 6 to 7 Lacs|
Ques: What do you mean by JBT?
Ans: Junior Basic Training (JBT) is a Diploma level Educational course. This is one of the teacher training programs known as the JBT or Junior Basic Training course. After completing the Diploma course students qualifying for this training essentially get employed in schools imparting elementary education.
Ques:What is the process of JBT?
Ans: JBT is Junior Basic Training and the course duration is 2 years. It is a diploma course and it is designed to improve teaching skills and all subject-wise knowledge to students. Eligibility criteria for taking admission in JBT course is 10+2 passed with minimum 50% marks. These are the list of courses done under JBT.
Ques: Can I do JBT after 12th?
Ans: The JBT course churns out skilled and qualified elementary education teachers each year. JBT is a job oriented teacher training course. If you are interested in teaching at elementary level, this course is for you! You may join the course right after completing 12th.
Ques: What is JBT course in Haryana?
Ans: The duration of this course is 2 years divided into 4 semesters. Eligibility to the course is 10+2 or an equivalent examination with a minimum of 45% marks from a recognized university.
Ques: What is JBT teacher?
Ans: Junior Basic Training (JBT) is a Diploma level Educational course. This is one of the teacher training programs known as JBT or Junior Basic Training course. After completing the Diploma course students qualifying for this training essentially get employed in schools imparting elementary education.
Ques: Is JBT and D El Ed same?
Ans: The Junior Basic Training course is technically an elementary teacher training course. JBT is similar to D.El. Ed is a diploma course of 2 years in Education, which is required as an eligibility to apply as a primary (classes 1 to 4) level teacher.
Ques: Can I do B Ed after JBT?
Ans: JBT is done after graduation thus B.Ed cannot be done after JBT.