MA or Master of Arts is a 2 years postgraduate degree that can be pursued in different specializations. The eligibility for pursuing MA is a BA degree in any discipline from a recognized university with a minimum of 45 - 50% aggregate marks.
LSR New Delhi, Miranda House, Hindu College, Hansraj College are the top MA colleges. They are also popular MA Colleges as they offer MA courses at an affordable fee of INR 15,000-30,000. Miranda House and Hindu College are also among the list of Top-Ranked MA Colleges that offer a median salary of INR 1-5 lakhs.
In terms of career prospects and average salary, MA Economics is the top MA specialization. Professionals can earn around INR 4-7 lakhs per annum, after an MA course, specializing in Economics. Pursuing MA after BA is important as by the year 2022, 18.4% of job postings are predicted to require a Master of Arts degree according to the US Bureau of Labour Statistics. A person with an MA degree earns INR 17245 more every week than those with just a bachelor’s degree, as per BLS reports.
MA Quick Facts
- The eligibility criteria for MA Admission 2021 is Graduation with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks or equivalent CGPA from a recognized University.
- The MA fees generally range between INR 20,000 - 30,000
- Some of the top colleges offering MA are Calcutta University, JNU, Jamia Millia Islamia, Delhi University, etc.
- Apart from regular mode, MA can be pursued through Distance from colleges like IGNOU, Annamalai University, Osmania University, etc. Check: MA from IGNOU
- There are several MA entrance exams such as DUET, PU CET, JNUEE, etc.
- After completion of MA, students can pursue PhD in their respective subjects.
- The average salary post the completion of MA range between INR 3.5 - 5 LPA. Also Check: MA Jobs
MA is a 2 years postgraduate degree course pursued by students after completion of a Bachelor’s degree in any relevant stream. Some of the top MA courses pursued by students include MA in English, MA in History, MA in Political Science, MA in Economics, etc. There are several entrance exams conducted for students to enroll in various MA courses such as JNUEE, IPU CET, DUET, PU CET, etc. However, some colleges enroll students based on merit as well.
- Master of arts degree helps students to enhance their subject-specific knowledge. It gives the students an advantage for emerging their position in the career field.
- Students will be surrounded by professors who encourage them to achieve their goals. Besides this, they can get the opportunity to attend lectures given by guest lecturers who have proven themselves in this academic circle or the business environment.
- Postgraduate courses are larger and autonomous than UG courses. So, the students have to put more effort into learning the entire process. Thus they develop new personal and professional skills, time management, and more. If the students choose to study for their masters abroad, this will enhance their social skills and confidence to communicate with people of different cultures.
- Students can get a good position with their UG degree but for further advancement in the industry field, a Master's degree is a real turning point.
Who Should Pursue MA
- Candidates who have a Bachelor's degree in art course or any special course with 50% marks(45% for reserved category), should pursue M.A degree.
- Candidates who want to pursue a Ph.D degree can opt for an M.A course.
MA Admission Process
Most of the colleges conduct entrance exams for MA admission. Some top universities also conduct a second round of selection process for the admission to MA courses by arranging WAT and PI.
MA Admission 2021
- TISSNET is an entrance exam conducted by the Tata Institute of Social Science for admission to MA courses. Followed by the OPI and TISSMAT rounds as scheduled by the University.
- Some of the common MA entrance exams that are conducted by various universities are PU-CET, TUEE, AUCET, JNUEE, CUCET, etc.
- The last date of registration for JNUEE 2021 is June 2021 and the exam will be scheduled tentatively around July 2021
- MA Application fees range from INR 1,500 - 2,000
- Registration for admission to MA in distance education from IGNOU for the session of July will take place till June 15, 2021
MA Admission Important Dates
|Name of the Colleges||Registration Dates|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||July 2021|
|Miranda House||July 2021|
|Loyola College||July 2021|
|Fergusson College||July 2021|
|Christ University||December 08, 2020 - June 09, 2021 (Closed)|
Before applying for an MA course one should be aware of the eligibility criteria as prescribed by the colleges and universities. Below mentioned are the details for eligibility to a MA course,
- Candidates should have completed their Bachelor's degree in Arts of a minimum of three years duration or its equivalent degree from a recognized university
- They have to score at least 50% in the relevant subjects.
MA Entrance Exams
As discussed several entrance exams are conducted for students to enroll for MA courses. Scores of DUET, CUCET, TISSNET, AUAT, IPU CET, JNUEE, etc are amongst the various entrance exams, based on which the admission to MA courses is determined.
MA Entrance Exams Dates
|Entrance Exam||Last Date to Register||Exam Dates|
|TISSNET||January 25, 2021 (Closed)||February 20, 2021|
|PU CET||June 9, 2021 (Closed)||June 27, 2021|
|AU CET||June 2021||July 2021|
|JNUEE||June 2021||July 2021|
|DUET||June 2021||July 2021|
MA Entrance Exams Preparation
- Students should be well versed in the subject they have chosen for MA. They can divide the syllabus into separate modules to make the learning process easy.
- Literary theory and criticism on respective subjects are equally important for entrance exam preparation.
- Students have to practice how to deal with factual questions.
- They can revise previous papers and sample papers of the respective entrance exam for better understanding.
M.A syllabus is an academically oriented syllabus which includes theory and practical lessons, internship, research project, and assignments. The syllabus and the course curriculum are different for every specialization. The curriculum has core subjects that are taught in the first year.
There are different types of elective courses that students can choose in the second year. Some of the special disciplines for M.A course are - English, Bengali, History, Economics, Sociology, Political Science, Hindi, Philosophy, etc. Below mentioned tables will discuss separately the subjects and syllabus for various MA courses.
|British Literature||African Literature||Literary Theory|
|American Literature||Indian Writing in English Literature||CommonWealth Literature|
|Ancient History and its theory||Polity in medieval India||Indian Independence|
|Practice of History||History of Marathas||History of Women in Indian|
|Sociological theories||Methods of Sociological Research||Sociology of Organisations|
|Sociology of Media||Population and Society||Agrarian Structure|
MA Political Science
|Themes in World Politics||Indian Strategic Thoughts|
|Debates in Political Theory||Ethics and Politics|
|Microeconomic Theory||Introductory Econometrics||International Finance|
|Quantitative Methods||Public Economics||Development Economics|
M.A subjects have different Specializations. Specializations in MA courses give the opportunity of exploring in-depth knowledge about that subject. MA or Master of Arts is a huge field of study, thus the lines of specializations are also huge and are subject to radical changes depending on the course and its core structure.
MA in English deals with a deep knowledge of British literature. Linguistics, literary criticism and post-independence Indian writing in English, etc are also highlighted in the program. Some contemporary fiction, research methodology, language, and literature are included in the course. There are quite a variety of elective subjects to choose from for MA in English. Some of them are - 20th century American, Australian, Canadian literature, etc.
- Eligibility: Bachelor degree in English or any related discipline with 50% marks are applicable
- Entrance Exams: JNUEE, JMIEEE, PUMDET, etc.
- Admission Process: The admission process is merit-based but some of the colleges offer entrance-based admission.
- Top Colleges: Hindu College, Miranda House College, Presidency University, St. Xavier's College.
- Course Fees: INR 4,000 - 8,000
MA History is a blend of past and present interpretations of various incidents. MA in History syllabus there are Subjects like - World History, Indian Government and Politics, Literature, Economic History, Contemporary issue in international relation, Three eras(ancient, medieval, modern) history of India, etc.
- Eligibility-Students who have passed Bachelor's degree in History with 50% marks from a recognized university are eligible for this Specialization.
- Entrance Exam- There is no particular entrance exam for this Specialization but some of the universities organize their own entrance exam for PG admission such as - JNUEE, DUET, etc.
- Exam Dates- Tentative dates of the above-mentioned entrance exams are October, June 2021 respectively.
- Admission Process - Candidates are selected based on their previous academic records along with History subjects.
- Top Colleges- Some top colleges of this Specialization are - Miranda House College, Hindu College, Presidency College, St. Stephen's College.
- Course Fee- Course fee is INR 500 - 2000(Govt. College) and INR 10,000 - 40,000 ( Private College)
MA Political Science
MA in Political Science is a major specialization amongst all the other MA subjects. MA in Political Science is one of the most widely attempted courses and it includes analysis and description of political behavior and political system, the practice of politics and theory, etc. Besides covering the national and international political system the postgraduate study of this subject deals with public affairs, Government procedure and policies, public administration, modern and historical political systems.
- Eligibility - B.A degree with a minimum of 50% marks in Pol.Science or any related field.
- Entrance Exam - IPUCET, JNUEE,DUET,
- Exam Dates - Tentative exam dates - September, October, June 2021 respectively.
- Admission Process - Entrance and Merit based.
- Course Fee - INR 20,000 - 80,000.
- Top colleges - Hindu College, Presidency College, St Xavier's college.
Postgraduate study of Sociology or MA in Sociology develops an understanding of social issues that has a great role to shape modern society. It covers topics such as urban sociology, social inequality, etc. The subject demands a course work that emphasizes criminal justice, immigration research, medical sociology.
- Eligibility- Bachelor's degree in sociology in 50% marks.
- Entrance exams- IPU CET, TISSNET, PU-CET
- Exam Dates- 4th week of June, 12&13 June, 25 March 2021 respectively.
- Admission Process- Merit and Entrance based.
- Top colleges- St. Xavier's College, Nizam College, Loyola college, etc
- Course Fee - INR 5000 - 200000.
MA in Economics helps students to get an in-depth knowledge of the finance sector so that they can develop their ideologies to face any challenges in the industry or business. They learn how a Finance system in an economy works and also develops itself from core to core. The three basic procedures of maintaining wealth (production, distribution, and consumption) are taught while pursuing MA in Economics.
- Eligibility - Bachelor's degree in Economics or a relevant field of study with 50% marks
- Entrance exams - DUET, BHU PET, JNUEE
- Exam dates - Tentative exam dates for DUET and JNUEE - June and October 2021 respectively.
- Admission Process - Merit and Entrance based.
- Top colleges - Lady Sriram College for Women, Loyola College, Madras Christian College, Miranda House College.
- Course Fee - INR 10,000 - 50,000
- Some of the other specializations offered under MA are tabulated below for your reference,
MA Colleges in India
Many popular colleges in India offer M.A in various Specializations. Almost all the top five metropolitan cities of India have famous colleges that teach various MA courses. Some of the famous colleges of these cities are mentioned below,
MA Colleges in Delhi
|College Name||Average Course Fees (INR)|
|Lady Sriram College for Women||30,041|
|Miranda House College||14,530|
MA Colleges in Mumbai
|College Name||Average Course Fees (INR)|
|Mithibai College of Arts||25,000|
|Kishinchand Chellaram College||62,920|
|PTVA's Sathaye College||9, 875|
|Tata Institute of Social Science||66,500|
MA Colleges in Kolkata
|Name of the College||Average Course Fees (INR)|
|Rabindra Bharati University||18,050|
MA Colleges in Bangalore
|Name of the College||Average Course Fees (INR)|
|Kristu Jayanti College||70,000|
|Jyoti Nivas College||40,000|
MA Colleges in Pune
MA Distance Education Colleges in India
MA being popular and highly sought after course is available in the form of Distance Education course as well. For professionals who cannot spare time but are also interested to study further, Distance in MA is highly recommended for them.
The eligibility criteria for pursuing MA in Distance method are as follows,
- Students should have cleared their graduation in a relevant stream for a recognized University.
- They should have the minimum passing marks in all subjects to be considered fit for enrolling in MA in Distance Education mode
Some of the top colleges offering MA in Distance Education are tabulated below,
|Name of the College||Location||Average Course Fees (INR)|
|Mahatma Gandhi University||New Delhi||2,475|
|University of Mumbai||Mumbai||6015|
|Saraswati Distance Education||Mumbai||27,000|
|Rabindra Bharati University||Kolkata||6,800|
|Netaji Subhas Open University||Kolkata||7,600|
MA Colleges in Abroad
Nearly 22 lakh students visited abroad from India for further studies between the year 2016 - 2021. There are several prestigious universities and colleges abroad that offer degrees in MA subjects. Some of the top countries that offer MA specializations are tabulated below for your reference
|USA||Harvard University, Stanford University, University of Texas, Columbia University|
|UK||Canterbury Christ Church University Treasure University Coventry University University of East London|
|Canada||University of Toronto University of Alberta University of British Columbia McGill University|
|Australia||University of Melbourne University of Sydney RMIT University University of Queensland|
MA Colleges in USA
USA is home to several prestigious colleges that offer MA Specializations along with a unique course structure. Every year a total of 1.1 million students get enrolled in various colleges across the USA. The eligibility criteria for pursuing MA in universities in USA are,
- Bachelor of Arts or BA with a minimum GPA of 3 out of 4
- A TOEFL or IELTS score of 80 or 6.5 respectively
- Certain colleges demand relevant work experience
Some of the top MA Colleges in USA are,
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|University of Texas||19,05120|
MA Colleges in UK
The United Kingdom is the second-best choice when it comes to studying abroad. There are many reputed MA colleges and Universities that offer 1 - 2 years MA degrees such as Oxford, LSE, etc.
The eligibility criteria for studying MA In United Kingdom are,
- Bachelor of Arts or BA degree from a recognized University
- Students who have secured 1st position or top positions are eligible to apply at top MA Universities in UK
- A minimum of 80 in TOEFL or 6.5 in IELTS entrance examination
Some of the top MA colleges in UK are,
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|Canterbury Christ Church University||16,80,770|
|University of London||7,37,100|
MA Colleges in Canada
Canada is considered as one of the topmost student-friendly countries, along with its high-quality education methods that too in a very short amount of fees. There are also available various scholarships that international students can avail.
The eligibility criteria for students who want to pursue MA from Canada are enlisted below,
- Minimum 70% or a first-class degree in BA or a similar relevant course
- A valid IELTS or TOEFL score of 7 or 100 respectively. Scores could vary depending on the college cut-offs
- Certain Colleges / Universities demand relevant work experience
- Research Skills and Experience count a lot when one seeks to get admitted to Colleges in Canada
Some of the top colleges in Canada for MA courses are,
What after MA
After completing MA students can opt for further studies such as M.Phil or PhD in their relevant subjects. The eligibility criteria for M.Phil and PhD are different however students have to sit for an entrance exam for both the degrees, as there are no merit-based selection criteria when it comes to pursuing an M.Phil or PhD.
Apart from further studies, students can also choose to join corporates and other organizations to kick start their professional careers. Or, they can prepare for various government jobs and exams.
Course after M.A
Students can choose to pursue M.Phil or PhD post completing MA in relevant subjects or can also choose to pursue Diploma degrees in various professional courses. The below-mentioned table will discuss the various courses one can choose after completing MA.
- Phil or Master of Philosophy is a postgraduate academic research degree course that tends to research the nature of ideas and circumstances in a specific field of study. The eligibility criteria for pursuing M.Phil are,
- Students should score a minimum of 55% aggregate marks in the relevant subject for their MA degree course from a recognized university.
- Should sit for entrance examination and clear the minimum cut off as selected by the University
Some of the top and frequently attempted M.Phil courses are,
|M.phil in English||M.Phil in History||M.Phil in Philosophy|
|M.Phil in Political Science||M.Phil in Sociology||M.Phil in Economics|
|M.Phil in Bengali||M.Phil in Hindi||M.Phil in Sanskrit|
Some of the top M.Phil Colleges are tabulated below,
|Name of the Colleges||Average Fees (INR)|
|University of Calcutta||4,000|
|Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj University||75,000|
|Rabindra Bharati University||9,500 - 12,000|
PhD also known as Doctor of Philosophy is a 5-year course that deals with an in-depth and intrinsic study of research for any relevant subject. The eligibility criteria for pursuing PhD is,
- Students should have scored a minimum of 60% aggregate marks in Post Graduation in a relevant subject from a recognized university
- Should clear the cut off marks during entrance exams as decided by the presiding university
Some of the tops frequently attempted PhD subjects are,
|PhD in English||PhD in History||PhD in Economics|
|PhD in Political Science||PhD in Philosophy||PhD in Philosophy|
Some of the top PhD colleges in India are as follows,
Post completing MA, students are offered a wide set of job profiles, starting from teachers to part-time professors, managerial positions to owning a start-up. The below-mentioned table will discuss the various job profiles a candidate can be offered post completing an MA degree in relevant subjects.
Some of the top recruiters who hire fresh candidates post completing MA degree are tabulated below.
|ITC Limited||Amazon. in||Capgemini|
|Myntra||Hindustan Times||Times of India|
Top Job Profiles
|Job Profile||Job Description|
|Content Writer||The main job of a content writer is to write articles along with proper SEO research and updating oneself with adequate knowledge on the subject that s/he is writing.|
|Journalist||A journalist mainly goes out to cover news and events that are happening in society and present it to the citizens. A journalist profile can be bifurcated into an editor and anchor, based on his / her line of specialty|
|Social Worker||Someone who works for the society and the unprivileged sections for their better life and conditions. Social workers are divided into various sections such as people working for women empowerment, people working for the environment, people working for the unprivileged sections, etc.|
|Teacher||The main job of a teacher is to impart knowledge to her students based on her line of study|
|Consultant||A consultant works for a firm or corporate agency, who is mainly responsible for managing client meets and interacting with them.|
MA Salary in India
Keeping the various job profiles that are offered to an MA graduate, these range of salaries along with their designated positions are tabulated below for your reference,
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Content Writer||2.87 LPA|
|Social Worker||3.88 LPA|
Ques: What is an MA course?
Ques: How many years is a MA course?
Ques: How to do MA after passing 12th?
Ques: When should I apply for MA?
Ques: Is there an entrance exam for MA?
Ques: What can I do after the MA course?
- Lawyer Manager
- Digital Marketer
- Data Scientist (PG Certification)
- Insurance Executive
Ques: What is an MA Honours degree?
Ques: Can I do PhD after MA?
Ques: Is art a good career?
Ques: Is a Master of Arts degree worth it?