MA Assamese is a 2 years program of master degree level. The course deals with the study of literature, linguistics and philosophy of the Assamese language.
The basic eligibility criteria for MA Assamese is a bachelor’s degree in Assamese or equivalent from a recognized institute.
Admissions to MA Assamese is based either on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, and ensuing round of counseling or on the basis of their graduation marks. Dibrugarh University Entrance Exam, Gauhati University Entrance Exam etc are some of the entrance exams conducted for MA Assamese.
Read More: MA Assamese Top Colleges in India
Dibrugarh University, Guwahati University, Bimala Prasad Chaliha College, Bikali College are the few top colleges offering MA Assamese course. Areas covered under MA Assamese are Assamese Poetry, Drama, Fiction, Literary History etc. The average tuition of the course ranges from INR 1,000 to INR 2,00,000 depending upon the type of institute.
Postgraduates in Assamese have a prospect of getting jobs such as Consultant, Teacher, Economist, Content Writer, Editor, Translator etc. The major employment areas include Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Translation and other language services etc.
The average salary of MA Assamese postgraduates ranges from INR 2 LPA - INR 8 LPA. The top recruiting companies are HCL, IBM, TATA Consultancy, Adobe, HP, Lenovo, News Corporation of Rupert Murdoch etc.
MA Assamese Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full Form||Masters of Art in Assamese|
|Eligibility Criteria||BA Assamese or equivalent|
|Admission Process||Entrance or Merit Based|
|Average Fee||INR 1000 - INR 2,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000|
|Job Profiles||Consultant, Teacher, Customer Service Associate, Personnel Manager, Economist, Sociologist, Political Scientist, Relation Executive, Sales Coordinator, Interpreter, Content Writer, Editor, Translator, Part Time Trainer – Assamese, Assistant Professor - Assamese Journalism, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller etc|
|Top Recruiters||HCL, IBM, TATA Consultancy, Adobe, HP, Lenovo, News Corporation of Rupert Murdoch, Disney Entertainment, Warner Brothers, CNBC, Guardian Group, BBC, ABC, AIR, etc.|
What is the MA Assamese Admission Process?
Admissions to MA Assamese are provided based on either the candidate’s performance in the entrance exam or on the basis of the candidate's merit in the last qualifying examinations.
- The admission process is administered by the institute’s admission rules and differs from one institute to another.
- Students can collect and fill the application form from the official institute website and submit the same with required formalities. In case any college does not have the provision for online admission, students will have to visit the college administration office physically and procure the application form.
- Candidates interested in getting admitted to colleges providing entrance based admissions first need to appear for and qualify the entrance with a valid score.
- Merit lists are prepared by the respective institutes and candidates shortlisted are called for counselling rounds.
- Some institutes also conduct personal interview rounds as the final step in the selection process.
Check: MA Admissions 2021
MA Assamese: Eligibility Criteria
The detailed eligibility criteria for MA Assamese is as follows:
- Candidates should have a bachelor’s degree pursued in Assamese or related subject of a recognized college or university.
- Candidates must also have scored a minimum of 50% aggregate marks at bachelor’s level.
MA Assamese: Entrance Exams
|Entrance Exam||Application Form Last Date||Exam Date|
|Dibrugarh University Entrance Test||To be Announced||To be Announced|
MA Assamese: Tips to get the Best College
Below mentioned are some of the useful tips for candidates seeking admissions to the best colleges:
- Make a list of the top 10 best colleges offering the course as per your convenience and stay updated with the institute’s events such as admission dates, entrance dates etc.
- Check the trend of cut-off marks of the particular course for the last few years.
- Aim to get more than the previous year’s cut-off marks and accordingly prepare yourself.
- Check for the course curriculum, faculty, infrastructure and other available facilities provided by the institutes for one’s better experience.
- Do not miss any important date and prepare yourself well for counselling or interview rounds to give your best.
MA Assamese: What is it About?
- MA Assamese is a theoretical course of minimum 2 years duration and candidates can pursue it full time or part time.
- The course begins with basic topics like Introduction to Cultural Studies, Introduction to Linguistics, Introduction to Comparative Literature, History of Assamese language etc.
- MA Assamese is ideal for the students who want to learn and are interested in Assamese culture and tradition. The course covers a wide range of aspects of Assamese language, how it became popular, its origin, importance in today’s era etc.
- Not only this, one gets to learn the language with such perfection that one can be hired by some of the top recruiting firms searching for a translator or by the universities who want to educate their students in Assamese language.
- The average course fee ranges from INR 1000 - INR 2,00,000 depending upon the type of institute.
MA Assamese: Course Advantages
- MA Assamese is a better choice for students who wish to stay in the academic line after their completion of studies.
- The course also opens a wide range of job opportunities in the academic line.
- Students also can work as a translator, Consultant, Political Scientist, Relation Executive, Sales Coordinator, Interpreter, Assistant Professor, Assamese Journalism, Data Entry Operator, Tele-caller etc.
- Students can also enroll themselves in further higher studies after completion of the course.
- The average starting salary is around INR 2,00,000 to INR 8,00,000.
- The employment areas include Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Private organization Advertising Agencies, TV Channels etc.
MA Assamese Course Comparison
Below tabulated is the comparison between MA Assamese and MA Marathi to help students choose the best course for them:
Checkout: Top MA Marathi Colleges in India
|Parameters||MA Assamese||MA Marathi|
|Name of the Course||Master of Arts in Assamese||Master of Arts in Marathi|
|Overview||MA Assamese is a 2- years program divided into 4 semesters of six months duration. The course deals with the study of literature and philosophy of Assamese Language||MA Marathi is a master degree course of 2-years duration which deals with the study of literature and philosophy of Marathi Language. The course also comprises 4 semesters each of 6 months duration|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility||BA Assamese||BA Marathi|
|Admission Process||Entrance or Merit based||Entrance or Merit based|
|Average Fees||INR 1000 - INR 2,00,000||INR 20,000 - INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 LPA - INR 8 LPA||INR 2 LPA - INR 6 LPA|
|Job Positions||Consultant, Teacher, Customer Service Associate, Personnel Manager, Economist, Sociologist etc||Translator, Content Writer, Editor, School Counselor, Data Analyst, Assistant Editor, Teacher etc|
|Employment Areas||Academic Institutes, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, Printing Companies, Private organization etc||Teaching Sectors, Government and Non Governmental Schools, Print Media, Journalism and Media, Translation and Creative Content Making etc|
MA Assamese: Top Colleges
|Name of the College/ University||Average Fees|
|Dibrugarh University||INR 12,380|
|Pragjyotish College, Guwahati||INR 24,000|
|Gauhati University, Guwahati||INR 8,975|
|Bikali College, Goalpara||INR 8,975|
|Tezpur University, Tezpur||INR 50,186|
|Mahatma Gandhi University, Ri-Bhoi||INR 40,000|
|Cotton University, Guwahati||INR 4,850|
|Assam Women’s University, Jorhat||INR 16,918|
|Assam University, Diphu||INR 10,300|
|Kumar Bhaskar Varma Sanskrit and Ancient Studies University, Hatinamati||INR 10,850|
MA Assamese College Comparison
|Parameter||Dibrugarh University, Dibrugarh||Assam University, Diphu|
|Overview||Dibrugarh University is a state university established in 1965. The university is NAAC accredited and approved by ICAR and NBA.||Assam University is a central university established in 2007. The university is UGC approved and offers courses across several streams.|
|Location||Dibrugarh, Assam||Diphu, Assam|
|Eligibility||BA in relevant discipline with 45% aggregate marks||Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline with 45% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Merit based||Written Test followed by Personal Interview|
|Average Fees||INR 12,380||INR 10,300|
MA Assamese: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|History of Early and Medieval Assamese Literature||History of Modern Assamese Literature|
|Assamese Poetry||Assamese Drama|
|Cultural History of Assam||Assamese Prose|
|History of Literary Criticism (East and West)||Twentieth Century Literary Theory|
|General Linguistics and History of Linguistics||History of Sanskrit Literature|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Assamese Novel||Assamese Short Story|
|Script and Textual Criticism||Bhakti Literature|
|Cultural History of North East||Linguistics and Related Fields|
|Introduction to Western Literature in English Translation||Special Author|
|Introduction to Phonology and Assamese Phonology||Introduction to Morphology and Assamese Morphology|
|Comparative Indian Literature||Classical Sanskrit Literature|
|Pali-Prakrit-Apabhramsha Text and Comparative Grammar of Indo-Aryan Language||Tibeto-Burman Language and Linguistics|
|-||Introduction to Translation Studies|
|-||Dialectology and Dialects of Assamese Language|
MA Assamese: Job Prospects
MA Assamese opens a wide range of job opportunities for candidates in almost all related fields. Below tabulated are some of the most popular job positions for such candidates:
|Job Profile||Average Salary|
|Teacher||INR 3 LPA|
|Professor||INR 8 LPA|
|Sociologist||INR 5 LPA|
|Translator||INR 3 LPA|
|Political Scientist||INR 3 LPA|
MA Assamese: Future Scope
MA Assamese is a great course with abundant career opportunities in both Government and Private sectors.
- Students after pursuing MA Assamese can get jobs in their area of interest and knowledge.
- One can also start his/her own institute or coaching centre and start teaching the language.
- Students interested in further studies can also go for PhD Assamese or MPhil Assamese after completing MA Assamese.
MA Assameses: FAQs
Ques. Is MA in Assamese a good course?
Ans. Yes, MA in Assamese is a very good course. Students get knowledge about all the aspects of the subjects. Students also get ample job opportunities such as teacher, professor, translator and Sociologist.
Ques. Is MA in Assamese tough?
Ans. It totally depends upon the student’s capacity and interest. The course structure is more or less similar to the BA in Assamese course. If the student has a profound interest in the subject, the student will find the course interesting and scoring.
Ques. What is the course fee for BA in Assamese?
Ans. The course fee ranges between INR 1000 to INR 2,00,000. The expense for the course is not too high but it totally depends on the college you are taking admission in.
Ques. What has more scope- MA in Assamese or MA in Telugu?
Ans. Both MA in Assamese and MA in Telegu have equal scope. Both the subjects have great placement opportunities.
Ques. What is taught in MA Assamese?
Ans. MA Assamese course is for the students interested in knowing and learning Assamese language. One can learn a lot in the course like the literature of Assamese, philosophy, history of assamese language etc.