What is MA Clinical Psychology?
Masters of Arts in Clinical Psychology or MA Clinical Psychology is a postgraduate course of 2 years, which is divided into four semesters. Clinical psychology addresses a breadth of mental, emotional and behavioural disorders. Clinical psychology is designed to integrate the science of psychology with the prevention and treatment of a wide variety of complicated human problems.
Know More About Psychology Course
The course includes subjects like personality psychology, clinical neuropsychology medicine and behavioural modification, applied clinical project/thesis, clinical community psychology etc. the eligibility criteria for this course requires BA hons. degree in psychology/clinical psychology with a minimum of 55% aggregate from a recognized college/university in India.
Master of Arts in clinical psychology course’s admission is based on merit and some institutes also conduct their own entrance examinations to grant admission in MA Clinical Psychology degree program.
See Also: Top MA Clinical Psychology Colleges
The fees for MA Clinical Psychology ranges from INR 5000 to 2 L per annum, depending on the type of college or university. Few colleges like Andhra University, IGNOU, Nalanda University, Osmania University, Uttaranchal University etc. also provide this course in a part-time mode. The fees for distance education in this course range from INR 2,000 to INR 20,000.
Here are some of the top colleges and universities which offers MA Clinical Psychology degree program according to their NIRF 2020 ranking survey:
|NIRF Overall Ranking 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|51||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||Patiala, Punjab||Merit based||INR 1.13 L|
|57||Tata Institute of Social Science||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Entrance based||INR 66,500|
|63||Amity University||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||Entrance exam + English language test followed by GD or PI||INR 1.20 L|
|101-150||Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University||Raipur, Chhattisgarh||Entrance based||INR 4,855|
|151-200||Maharaja Sayajirao of Baroda||Vadodara, Gujarat||Entrance based followed by personal interview||INR 8,360|
After completing MA Clinical Psychology course, the graduates have many job opportunities in India as well as abroad. The graduates can work as a health educator, industrial psychologist, research psychologist, psychiatric assistant etc. The graduates of MA Clinical Psychology can get jobs in the colleges & universities, career consultancy offices, healthcare centres, day care centres, forensic labs, HR departments and so on.
The average annual salary in these roles ranges from INR 2 L to 5 L per annum and the salary keeps on increasing with experience and expertise.
Clinical Psychology is known as a base3 for any field of psychology, so if you want to know the scope you need to know that skills, knowledge and information that you acquire in this course can be applied in the field of resource, counselling, mental health diagnosis, HR, corporate trainings, statics and many more. So basically, you have a wider reach and fields to work in. if a student wants to pursue any course after this course for higher study, he/she can opt M.Phil. (Clinical Psychology), Ph.D. (Clinical Psychology).
MA Clinical Psychology Highlights
MA Clinical Psychology is a popular course for those who want to learn about clinical psychology in depth. Here are some of the most popular highlights of the MA Clinical Psychology degree program that have been tabulated below:
|Course||MA Clinical Psychology|
|Full form||Master of Arts in Clinical Psychology|
|Eligibility||B.A. in Psychology/ Clinical Psychology|
|Admission Process||Entrance and merit based|
|Average tuition fee||INR 5000 to 2 Lacs|
|Job Positions||Counselling Psychologist, Day-care Centre Supervisor, Educational Psychologist, Clinical Psychologist, Forensic Psychologist, Social Psychologist, Child Support Specialist, Human Resources Assistant, Child Care Worker, Health Educator, Community Relations Officer, Psychiatric Assistant, Industrial Psychologist, Neuropsychologist, Psychiatric Technician, Rehabilitation Specialist, Research Psychologist, etc.|
|Average salary||INR 2 to 5 Lacs|
MA Clinical Psychology Eligibility
Students who wish to pursue a MA Clinical Psychology course must meet up with the following eligibility criteria. The minimum marks required in the bachelor’s degree may vary from college to college.
- Candidates must have completed Bachelor of Arts (BA) [Psychology].
- The candidates should score 55% marks or above in their bachelor’s degree from a recognized college/university of India.
- Some reputed universities and colleges admit students on the basis of entrance exam scores conducted by them.
- The candidates who have completed their bachelor’s degree in nursing or any other medical course with one subject as psychology and have got a minimum of 50% marks aggregate or above from a recognized college or university are also eligible for the course.
MA Clinical Psychology Admission Process
Admission to the MA Clinical Psychology course is usually merit based in some colleges and universities as well as entrance based. The marks obtained in the qualifying examinations are considered for the purpose of offering admission to the students and the entrance exam will be followed by the group discussion or personal interview.
Most of the colleges provide direct admission to the course on the basis of the marks obtained in their bachelor’s degree.
The following documents are required at the time of admission are:
- Passport size photograph
- Scanned signature
- Self-attested copy of ID proof
- Self-attested copy of class 10th and 12th marksheets
- Self-attested of category certificate (if applicable)
The admission takes place through Entrance Exams as well.
- There are few universities and colleges which conduct their own entrance exam for admission to the course.
- The admission procedure is carried through online or offline mode and sometimes through both the modes.
- You can start filling the application form and fill in all the details.
- Once all the details are filled, you will be required to choose the city for the exam centre.
- Save the application and make the payment via net banking/debit card/credit card.
- Submit the form before the deadlines.
MA Clinical Psychology Entrance Exams
Admission to MA Clinical Psychology is either entrance based or merit based. In an entrance-based method, students are required to qualify an entrance examination in order to seek admission in any concerned college or university. Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into MA Clinical Psychology course is given below:
- DUET - Delhi University Entrance Test is conducted by the National Testing Agency on behalf of the Delhi University. It’s a computer-based exam of 2 hours long duration. The test paper will contain 100 multiple choice questions in which every correct answer will consist of 4 marks and there’s also negative marking of -1 for each wrong question.
- JMIEE- The JMI 2020 entrance exam pattern is such that candidates need to attempt 200 questions in 3 hours. The question paper will contain objective/multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and no subjective questions. Candidates are also advised to be careful while answering the questions as there will be negative marking for every question answered wrongly.
- TISSNET - Tata Institute of Social Sciences conducts TISS National Entrance Test (TISS-NET) for admission to Masters’ Degree programs offered by it. Candidates can apply for a maximum of three programs across any of the two campuses indicating the order of preference. There's no negative marking for the wrong responses and each right response will carry 4 marks.
The detailed information about various important Entrance Exams are mentioned in the table below:
|EXAM NAME||EXAM DATE||APPLICATION DATE||EXAM MODE||CONDUCTING BODY|
|DUET||September 7, 2020||January 20, 2020 – July 31, 2020||Offline (Pen-paper)||National Testing Agency|
|JMI entrance exam||To be announced||February 21, 2020 – September 14, 2020||Offline||Jamia Millia Islamia|
|TISSNET||January 4, 2021||3rd week of October 2020 – 4th week of November 2020||Online||TISS, Mumbai|
How to Prepare for the MA Clinical Psychology Entrance exam?
The most important for a student is to decide factors responsible for succeeding in any entrance exam is to be well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern.
- The candidates should know the updated syllabus, marking, paper pattern etc.
- Start with the books of class 11th and 12th NCERT, this will help you with basic concepts and understanding.
- A reference book called “Introduction to Psychology” by Robert Baron is a very helpful reference book to clear the entrance examination, it covers basics as well as it covers all aspects of psychology.
- Some of the topics which are covered in psychology entrance exams are history of psychology, humanistic psychology, child psychology, social psychology, individual psychology.
- You can check the previous year papers for psychology entrance and according to that paper you will get the idea if questions are expected.
- You can also give tests to analyse your preparation.
How to Get Admission in a Good MA Clinical Psychology College?
Getting a seat in a good college becomes a lot easier when one knows the complete path which one would be required to travel while going through the admission process. Below given are some of the key points which one must keep in mind if one aspires for admission in a good college.
- The admission process to the course is entrance based and merit-based.
- In the case of merit-based selection, one must perform well in the bachelor’s degree examinations.
- In the case of entrance-based selection, it is very important to perform well and score enough in the entrance examination in order to get admission in a reputed college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern and also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- The students must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before if they want to get admission in a good college and this gives ample time for learning and revision. Do keep your target institute in mind.
MA Clinical Psychology Syllabus
MA Clinical Psychology is a 2-year degree program. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The course curriculum incorporates various assignments and a lot of research work as well. A detailed semester wise break up of the course is given below in the table.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Clinical Psychology: Assessment and Diagnosis||Practicum I - Adjustment and Personality Assessment|
|Personality Psychology||Advanced Physiological Psychology|
|Socio-cultural Influences on Behaviour||Statistics and Data Analysis|
|Psychopathology I||Psychopathology II|
|Communication Skills and Technical Paper Writing Skills||Psychopathology II|
|Practicum I - Adjustment and Personality Assessment||Practicum II - General Mental Health Assessment|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Clinical Neuropsychology||Clinical Community Psychology|
|Psychotherapeutic Intervention Techniques||Medicine and Behaviour Modification|
|Neurocognitive and Neurodevelopmental Disorders||Psychology of Health and Wellbeing|
|Research Methods in Behavioural Science||Applied Clinical Project/Thesis|
|Practicum III - Intelligence and Neurocognitive Developmental Assessment||Practicum IV - Clinical Assessment and Diagnosis|
|Internship during summer vacation||Open elective|
MA Clinical Psychology Top Colleges
MA Clinical Psychology course is offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. We have enlisted some of the top colleges/universities offering this course with several other details.
|College Name||Location||Fees||Average annual Salary Package|
|Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology||Patiala, Punjab||INR 1.13 L||INR 8.6 L|
|Tata Institute of Social Science||Mumbai, Maharashtra||INR 66,500||INR 15 L|
|Amity University||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||INR 1.20 L||INR 4.50 L|
|Pt. Ravishankar Shukla University||Chandigarh||INR 53,200||INR 3 L|
|Maharaja Sayajirao of Baroda||Raipur, Chhattisgarh||INR 4,855||_|
|Maharaja Sayajirao of Baroda||Vadodara, Gujarat||INR 8,360||INR 4.5 to 5 L|
|Ambedkar University||Kashmiri Gate, Delhi||INR 64,000||INR 7-8 L|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 80,000||INR 3 L|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya||Indore, Madhya Pradesh||INR 28,711||INR 3.5 L|
|Jagran Lakecity University||Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh||INR 80,000||INR 3.5 to 5 L|
Selecting one among various colleges and universities can be a daunting task. This becomes more difficult when all the colleges/universities hold a certain reputation. Hence, to ease the process, the top three colleges offering MA Clinical Psychology courses have been compared below based on various parameters.
|Parameter||Tata Institute of Social Science||Amity University||Lovely Professional University|
|Overview||Tata Institute of Social Science [TISS], Mumbai was established in the year of 1936 and was named as Sir Dorabji Tata Graduate School of Social Work. Tata Institute of Social Sciences Admission can be done through the official website of the college. TISS Research Work plays an important role for the civilians and the society in India. The contribution to the development sector is also a remarkable one.||Amity University, Noida was established with the purpose of imparting transparent education to students with the help of holistically designed programs. The University is located in lush green surroundings and provides top-class education in the field of engineering, science, technology, humanities, and arts. Amity University aims at becoming recognized as a leader in providing value-based education to students.||The university offers several undergraduate, post graduate and doctoral programs. Scholarships are awarded to aspirants who perform excellent in various fields.|
|NIRF Overall 2020 ranking||57||63||99|
|Location||Mumbai, Maharashtra||Noida, Uttar Pradesh||Chandigarh|
|Admission process||Entrance based||Entrance exam + English language test followed by GD or PI||Merit based|
|Average annual fees||INR 66,500||INR 1.20 L||INR 53,200|
|Average annual package||INR 15 L||INR 4.50 L||INR 3 L|
|Top recruiters||Swiggy, Wipro, Taj Group, Deloitte, Infosys, DELL, Udaan, Amazon etc.||Amazon, Flipkart, Capgemini, Cognizant, Directi, SAP, Wipro, Accenture, Google, NIIT, KPIT, Paytm, Chegg, Opera, Relaxo Ltd etc.||Hewlett Packard, Amazon, Abbott, IBM, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Google and Microsoft, Microsoft, Infosys and Morgan Stanley, Adobe, Capgemini, etc.|
Why Study MA Clinical Psychology ?
Sometimes some students are caught up in a dilemma about whether to pursue any particular course. Knowing the benefits offered by the course can help sorting out this chaotic situation of the students. Hence some of the benefits and perks of pursuing MA Clinical Psychology degree program has been mentioned below:
- The course is beneficial for further research studies such as M.Phil. and Ph.D. as it gives a good base for it.
- The graduates can also have career opportunities in many sub-speciality areas including substance abuse treatment, child mental health and health psychology.
- Clinical psychology is important to learn because it helps people in living healthier lives.
- It’s a field that applies the research and science of behaviour change to the problems their patients experience.
- It can make a huge difference in bettering the patients’ lives.
MA Clinical Psychology Distance Education
Due to some reasons sometimes, a student may find difficulty in pursuing the course through regular learning mode, in such cases distance learning method comes to the rescue. Students can pursue a MA Clinical Psychology course through distance learning mode as well. The students must check for the validity of the course and the college in distance or corresponding mode. Some colleges that offers MA Clinical Psychology course through distance learning mode are mentioned below:
|Andhra University||Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh||Merit based and entrance exam||2-year|
|Osmania University||Hyderabad, Telangana||Merit based||2-year|
|IGNOU||New Delhi||Merit based||2-year|
|Nalanda Open University||Patna, Bihar||Merit based||2-year|
|Uttaranchal University||Nainital, Uttarakhand||Merit based and first come first serve||2-year|
MA Clinical Psychology Course Comparisons
The basic difference between MSc Clinical Psychology and MA Clinical Psychology programs are provided in the table below for the aspirants to understand the differences between these two courses:
|BASIS||MA Clinical Psychology||MSc Clinical Psychology|
|Overview||MA Clinical Psychology degree program prepares students to assess people who have personal problems and behavioural disorders, or who have endured emotional traumas.||In this course students develop their own theories and test them by performing research.|
|Admission process||Entrance and merit based||Entrance and merit based|
|Eligibility||B.A. in Psychology/ Clinical Psychology||B.A. or B.Sc. in Psychology/Clinical Psychology degree|
|Annual average fees||INR 5000 to 2 L||INR 3,000 to 2 L|
|Job positions||Community Relations Officer, Psychiatric Assistant, Industrial Psychologist, Neuropsychologist, Psychiatric Technician, Rehabilitation Specialist, Research Psychologist, etc.||Psychologist, educational psychologist, urban planning officer, staff recruiter, social psychologist, etc.|
|Annual average salary package||INR 2 to 5 L per annum||INR 3 L to INR 20 L per annum|
MA Clinical Psychology Scope
The scope of MA Clinical Psychology course is very wide and after completing MA Clinical Psychology course, candidates can get so many best opportunities in many fields anywhere in the world. The scopes of this course are:
- The subject offers a wide range of career opportunities, professionals in this field are called as clinical psychologists.
- The branch of psychology is associated with the understanding, diagnosis and treatment of psychological disorders in humans.
- Clinical psychologists help people facing difficulties in their life to get through it using different treatment methods and therapies.
- These professionals of clinical psychology work with hospitals, NGOs and even rehabilitation centres.
- As people become increasingly aware of different psychological disorders with time, the need for experts in clinical psychology is only expected to grow.
MA Clinical Psychology Jobs
MA Clinical Psychology courses come with various jobs and career opportunities. Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect a salary of INR 2 lakhs to 5 lakhs per year. The salary offered is proportional to the experience earned in the respective field.
- Counselling Psychologist
- Day-care Centre Supervisor
- Educational Psychologist
- Clinical Psychologist
- Forensic Psychologist
- Social Psychologist
- Child Support Specialist
- Human Resources Assistant
- Child Care Worker
- Health Educator
- Community Relations Officer
- Psychiatric Assistant, Industrial Psychologist
We have Listed some of the popular job positions offered to successful graduates of the discipline along with the corresponding job descriptions and average annual salaries offered to the graduates of MA Clinical Psychology:
|Child Care Worker||A childcare duty is to look after kids, showing them care and attention, to cater to the needs of children, by making them comfortable without any worries and this makes them a parental figure to the child in the absence of their parents. While children are left in the care of the childcare worker, he/she ensures that they are in safe hands by creating a safe environment and keeping a close watch on kids. He/she prepares meals and feeds the child as instructed to ensure that they are not left hungry.||INR 1.43 L|
|Counselling Psychologist||Counselling psychologists help people to cope with mental health issues, emotional problems and challenging situations using a range of psychological concepts and psychotherapeutic techniques, such as transactional analysis, cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and the Milan systemic approach, they help people with all kinds of difficulties, from substance abuse and domestic violence to post-traumatic stress and eating disorders, they are also responsible for maintaining the records, tracking the progress of service users and writing reports.||INR 2.90 L|
|Educational Psychologist||The educational Psychologists responsibilities are to conduct student assessments to identify a psychological problem, to design and implement suitable psychological intervention for the resolution of a behavioural or cognitive issue, to liaise with teachers and parents to administer corrective measures for a psychological need that hinders learning, to listen and interact with students to aid them in making the right choices.||INR 3.96 L|
|Community Relations Officer||The duties of community relations officers include, to implement recruitment guidelines as approved by the HR leadership, to visit community colleges, secondary schools and universities near the area, to prepare press releases, keynote speeches and promotional material, to build positive relationships with stakeholders, media and the public.||INR 5.85 L|
|Forensic Psychologist||A forensic psychologist's responsibility is to undertake the research projects to evaluate the contribution of specific service elements, policy initiatives or group program developments, to undertake the statistical analysis for forensic client profiling, to training and mentoring the psychological assistants or trainee forensic psychologists.||INR 3.93 L|
MA Clinical Psychology FAQ
QUES. What GRE score do I need for clinical psychology?
QUES. What can I do after MA in Clinical Psychology?
QUES. What is an example of clinical psychology?
QUES. How long does it take to get your MA in Clinical Psychology?
QUES. What questions could be asked by Christ University, Bengaluru in an interview for MA in clinical psychology course?
QUES. Which is better for a career, an MA in clinical psychology or simple psychology?
QUES. Is clinical psychology a good career option?
QUES. What are the prerequisites to do master’s in clinical psychology? Is having a bachelor's in psychology mandatory as I am basically from an engineering background?
Considering the requirements of the Master's, it is important that the student have a BA with psychology as one of the subjects in their degree, but that is not the only way.
If you are done with your Engineering and you wish to make your career in Clinical Psychology then you can join M. A/ M.Sc. in Clinical Psychology. Post that you can also pursue MPhil or later Ph.D. in the same.
QUES. What are the top recruiting companies available after completion of MA (Clinical Psychology) course?
QUES. What is the basic eligibility criteria of MA (Clinical Psychology) course?