MA English or Master of Arts in English is a 2-year post-graduate course in English & literature studies. It is considered as one of the most demanded courses in terms of career and personal growth. It covers subjects such as English literary studies, criticism, pedagogy, theories, etc, along with the Prose, Poetry, and Drama.
Know More About English Courses
Know More About Spoken English Courses
The minimum eligibility for applying for MA English admission is a minimum of 50% aggregate or an equivalent CGPA in a Bachelor’s degree in English or relevant discipline like BA (English) or BA (English) [Hons].
There are a number of colleges and universities offering this course like Hindu College, St. Stephen’s College, and many other colleges. You can also pursue this course from distance learning colleges like IGNOU, KSOU, and other colleges. Below table lists the Best MA English colleges in India:
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Fees|
|1||Miranda House College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 29,060|
|2||Hindu College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 30,046|
|4||St. Stephens College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 40,000|
|5||Lady Shri Ram College||New Delhi||Entrance Test+Merit||INR 35,952|
|27||Fergusson College||Pune||Entrance Test||INR 14,765|
The average fee charged by MA English Colleges ranges between INR 4,000 to 80,000 per annum. It can be higher or lower depending upon the institution which you have selected. Admission in most of the MA English colleges is Entrance exam-based or merit-based.
The major MA English subjects are Literature in English, Study of a Genre, Critical Theory, Indian Writing in English, American Literature and optional subjects. After the course completion, MA English graduates can expect a starting salary of around INR 3.6 Lakhs per annum in areas such as Publishing, BPOs and KPOs, Education, Theatre, Entertainment & Media, Corporate, Advertising, Writing, and Public Relations etc.
MA English Admission Process
Merit Based Admission: The admission process for MA English is conducted by considering the merit marks scored in the Bachelor degree in English or related fields.
Entrance Based Admission: Admission on the basis of entrance exams consider percentile scores secured by the candidates in the University or college entrance exams, such as the Presidency University, Kolkata ‘s PUMDET Entrance exam and the Fergusson College, Pune ‘s SPPU entrance exam.
After qualifying the entrance exams, students may or may not be called for an interview and are provided admission based on the marks secured in the examination.
Also Read : Master of Business Administration (MBA)
MA English Eligibility
The eligibility for pursuing an MA English is:
- A bachelor’s degree in English i.e. BA (English), BA (English) [Hons], or any related discipline.
- Candidates appearing for final year examinations with a minimum aggregate score of 50% or an equivalent CGPA.
- There is also a 5% relaxation in aggregate marks for SC/ST candidates.
- Few colleges and universities also offer this course through entrance exams, so you might need to appear for those entrance exams too.
MA English Entrance Exams
There is no common all India Entrance test for MA English admission, however, some colleges and universities conduct their entrance test, the syllabus and pattern for which is nearly the same. It consists of a written test of nearly 1 hour and 30 minutes duration. There are also some colleges which provide admission in MA English solely based on Merit or percentile in the undergraduate degree of the student in BA English or any related discipline.
- The format of most of the MA English Entrance Test is as follows:
- Test Type: Written
- Test duration: 1 hour and 30 minutes to 2 hours
- General Test Syllabus: Syllabus equivalent to B.A. English, with proficiency in English Literature reading and writing.
- Entrance Exam dates: Process begins in February and March
- Delhi University grants admission in MA English to students directly based on Merit and based on their aggregate score of 50% or more in their Bachelor of Arts degree in English. There is also a relaxation of 5% to students belonging to OBC/SC/ST/PWD category students, who only need 45% of marks to secure an admission in MA English studies.
Some of the famous MA English Entrance Exams are:
- Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Examination: JNUEE 2020 examination is conducted for admissions in various UG, PG and Ph.D. courses offered by Jawaharlal Nehru University. It is an online examination of 3 hours. The conducting body of this JNUEE 2020 exam is NTA (National Testing Agency).
- Jamia Millia Islamia University Entrance Examination: Jamia Millia Islamia University entrance examination offers admission. This entrance exam offers admission in various UG and PG courses.
- PUMDET Entrance Exam: PUMDET entrance exam is conducted by Presidency University for offering admissions in MA and MSc courses. Interested candidates can apply for this exam online through the official WBJEE website.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Admission Process||Exam Date|
|JNUEE 2020||Online||March 2, 2020- June 15, 2020||Postponed|
|PUMDET 2020||Online||-||June 21, 2020|
How to prepare for MA English Entrance Exams?
The syllabus of MA English Entrance Exam may vary depending upon the university you are applying to, but since the test is only designed to check your competency in English Literature, Reading and Writing, therefore it is nearly equivalent to the level of UG Level studies and most of them require 50% or more score to pass.
General Test Syllabus: Syllabus equivalent to BA English, with proficiency in English Literature writing and Critical appreciation of a poem, Paragraph writing (nearly 400 words each), short note writing (nearly 100 words each), and some part of the syllabus form the department of Humanities and Social Sciences equivalent to UG degree level.
An MA English test paper might contain the following sections:
|Paper||Type of Questions||Topic Covered|
|I||Objective||Language and Literature, General Awareness|
|III||Subjective||Essay topics from various issues related to literature and current affairs|
Points to keep in mind while preparing for MA English Entrance Exams:
- For Language and Literature questions, a good understanding of the English language and vocabulary is required. Students will get the questions only of the U.G. Level and any student who has opted for a bachelors in English Literature studies, will be able to solve it easily.
- Practice Questions by writing them, especially for paragraph writing and short notes writing.
- For Poetry Comprehension, critical analysis of poetry is important and a lot of practice is required and there are a lot of practice questions available on the internet for the same.
- For General Awareness questions, a basic knowledge of Static GK and Current Affairs will be sufficient. Read news articles and newspapers daily.
- Manage time for all the sections and since the questions will not be so tough, try to attend as many as possible.
- Solve at least 2-3 Mock Tests after completing your preparation, before the real exam.
- Give some time for revision as well, and don’t panic.
How to get admission in a good MA English college?
- Keep all your basics clear and secure a good percentile in the MA English Entrance Exam conducted by the university you are applying to.
- Also be prepared for the group discussion and personal interview, if conducted by your university or college.
- Be updated with the important dates of the entrance exams.
- Solve questions related to comprehension and poetry and then you are good to go to any college of your choice.
MA English: What is it About?
In general, an MA English Literature requires a study of nearly 16 courses over two years. A student also gets to choose from some optional subjects in the last semester from the departments of Humanities and Social Sciences.
- This course is a combination of modern and ancient literature in English. There are three main areas of focus, i.e. Prose, Drama, and Poetry.
- It includes English literature from all over the world, such as American, Irish, Scottish, Welsh and Polish. Cultural aspects of English language, political and historical contexts are explored on an advanced level in the course.
- Some of the courses available at different MA English offering Universities are British Literature, Indian Literature in English, American Literature, Translation Literature, Literary Theory, English Studies, Literary History, Women Writings, Postcolonial, Literature, and Linguistics.
- MA English Literature qualifies an individual as a postgraduate academic master degree graduate.
- It is one of the most famous non- scientific subjects.
- This degree course prepares an individual for teaching, public relation, and management-level jobs in corporate sectors and government institutions.
MA English Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Eligibility||Bachelor degree from a recognized college in English literature or any related discipline, with a minimum 50% marks in aggregate|
|Admission Process||Merit + Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 4,000- INR 80,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-8 Lakhs|
|Areas of Work||Publications, Colleges and Universities|
|Top Job Positions||Content Writer, Editor, High School Teacher, Primary School Teacher, English Language / Literature Teacher, Copy Editor, Lecturer / Speaker, Sr. Instructional Designer, Technical Writer, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Sectors||Publishing, BPOs and KPOs, Education, Theatre, Entertainment & Media, Corporate, Advertising, Writing, and Public Relations etc.|
Why study M.A. English?
Some of the benefits of pursuing an MA English are:
- A student enrolled in a Masters Degree Program in Arts (English) gets to attend many lectures, seminars which helps in building the personality and connections.
- On passing the M.A. English course, the candidate has many career options in the industrial, educational, consultancy, and other fields.
- A candidate can learn the skills of project management, web content management, writing, etc.
- It provides in-depth knowledge of the English language literature from all over the world.
- It also improves the candidate's Verbal and Communication Skills, Research Aptitude, Writing Skills, Understanding of Human Behaviour and Psychology, and Articulating Skills.
- Handsome salary packages for M.A English graduates are offered with the average salary of INR 3-8 Lakhs Per Annum.
- Own a venture or training/teaching center can also be established.
A detailed comparison between the MA English and MA in English Literature is given below:
|Parameters||MA English||MA in English Literature|
|Full-Form||Master of Arts in English||Master of Arts in English Literature|
|Course Overview||M.A. English is a 2-year PG in English language. The course covers topics related to English literary studies, criticism and pedagogy, theories, and more. Popular job roles include English Teacher, English Trainer, English Faculty, Content Writer, etc.||M.A. English Literature is a 2-year PG in English literature consisting of study of various literature books and their interpretation.
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000- 3 Lacs||INR 8,000 to 1.5 Lacs|
|Average Salary||INR 3-8 Lakhs per annum||INR 2.5-5 Lakhs per annum|
|Colleges||Lady Shri Ram College, Miranda House College, Fergusson College, Presidency University, St. Xavier’s College.||Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University, Christ Church College, Career Point University, Agra College, Chaudhary Charan Singh Post Graduate College, and many more.|
Source: Payscale and College Websites
MA English Colleges
There are more than 1400 colleges in India, which offer an MA English Program. Out of these, most of the best private and public institutions are located in New Delhi, Bangalore, Kolkata, and Pune.
Below tables lists some of the top colleges for MA English course:
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Fees|
|Lady Shri Ram College||New Delhi||Entrance Test+Merit||INR 35,952|
|Miranda House College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 29,060|
|Hindu College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 30,046|
|Ramjas College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 27,013|
|Fergusson College||Pune||Entrance Test||INR 14,765|
|Gargi College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 24,162|
|Presidency University||Kolkata||Entrance Test||INR 6,645|
|St. Xavier’s College||Ahmedabad||Entrance Test||INR 62,990|
|Hans Raj College||New Delhi||Merit-Based||INR 24,613|
|St. Mira’s College for Girls||Pune||Merit-Based||INR 29,600|
The table below demonstrates a comparison between the NIRF High ranked colleges in India, which offer MA English course:
|College Name||Miranda House College, New Delhi||Hindu College||Lady Shri Ram College, New Delhi|
|Overview||Miranda House is a college for women, affiliated by the University of Delhi, located in New Delhi, India. It also has been ranked as the best college in India by NIRF and holds NAAC Grade A+. It offers many Honours and Programme courses.||Hindu college is esteemed academic colleges in India and was founded by Late Shri Krishan Das Ji Gurwale Presently it is affiliated to Delhi University. It is one of the top-ranked colleges for Humanities, Science, Commerce.||Lady Shri Ram College for Women is ranks 5th among the colleges in Delhi. It offers more than 30 different courses in the areas of Arts and Social Sciences, Journalism, and Commerce.|
|Average Fees||INR 29,060||INR 30,046||INR 35,952|
|Average Placement||INR 7 Lakhs||INR 5 Lakhs||INR 5.5 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Cadila, HP, Capital IQ, DHL Express, HCL, Dorling Kindersley, Genpact, Essar Steel, HDFC, Evalueserve IBMDAKSH, TCS, Wipro, Indian Express, zee, IndiGo Airlines||IBM DAKSH, TCS, Wipro, Indian Express, zee, IndiGo Airlines, Cadila, HP, Hindustan Times||American Express, Grofers, BCG, Axiom, Bloomberg JSW Steel, Kotak, NIIT, Samsung, Wipro, TCS, Kepler Cannon|
Source: College’s Official Websites
MA English Distance Education
Several universities in India offer students to pursue a MA English course in the distance or correspondence mode. It is the ideal way of studies for those candidates who are unable to continue their education in the regular mode or through the regular program. Distance Learning courses are getting popular in India and the table below demonstrates some of the colleges and universities which offer MA English through the distance education mode:
|College Name||Location||Program Name||Average Fees|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU)||New Delhi||MA English||INR 12,000|
|Amity University (Distance Learning)||Noida||MA English||INR 2.4 Lakhs|
|Annamalai University (Distance Education)||Karnataka||MA English||INR 6,300|
|Karnataka State Open University||Karnataka||MA English||INR 13,500|
Source: Universities Official Websites
MA English Syllabus
MA English subjects consist of core English language and English literature subjects, along with some of the elective subjects. The course curriculum is inclusive of classroom studies, discussions, lessons, presentations, case studies, term individual and group projects, this, and other activities.
Mentioned below is a semester- wise breakup of the MA English syllabus:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Literature in English:1550 – 1660 (Part 1)||Literature in English:1550 – 1660 (Part 2)|
|Literature in English: 1660 – 1798 (Part 1)||Literature in English: 1660 – 1798 (Part 2)|
|Literature in English: 1798 – 1914 (Part 1)||Literature in English: 1798 – 1914 (Part 2)|
|Literature in English: 1914 – 2000 (Part 1)||Literature in English: 1914 – 2000 (Part 2)|
|Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 1)||Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 2)|
|Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 1)||Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 2)|
|Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 1)||Study of a Genre (Option-1) Fiction (Part 2)|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Critical Theory (Part 1)||Critical Theory (Part 2)|
|American Literature (Part 1)||American Literature (Part 2)|
|Indian Writing in English (Part 1)||Indian Writing in English (Part 2)|
|Colonial and Post- Colonial Studies -1 or English Language -1||Colonial and Post- Colonial Studies -2 or English Language|
|Literature and Philosophy-1 or Literature and Gender-1 or New Literatures -1||Literature and Philosophy-2 or Literature and Gender-2 or New Literatures-2|
*Students are also required to submit a thesis of nearly 2000 words in their fourth or last semester.
MA English Books
The books for the MA English course are not fixed and can change from one university to another, but below are mentioned some of the famous books which will be beneficial for MA English students.
|Name of the book||Author|
|The Art of Rhetoric||Aristotle|
|Theory of Criticism||Raman Selden|
|An Introduction To Literary and Cultural Theory||Peter Barry|
|Paradise Lost||John Milton|
MA English Jobs & Career Options
Upon successful completion of the program in MA English, any graduate student may opt for Lecturership, Public Relations, Journalism as a career or they may go for a Ph. D / M. Phil in the subject or Research in the discipline. The different areas of employment that are explored by MA English graduates are:
- Corporate Communications
- Journalism and Reporting
- Advertising Industry
- Communication Industry
- Indian Civil Services
- Trainer/Instructor in any institution or firm
- Instructional Design
- Online Tutoring
- Public Relation
- Translation Agencies
Listed below are some of the popular job positions offered to MA English postgraduates, along with their corresponding job descriptions and salaries offered:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary|
|English translator||An English Translator job is to work with businesses to handle their technical, legal, and scientific written material, which includes letters, reports, books, articles, etc, to read, edit or summarize them.||INR 4.5 Lakhs|
|English Teacher||An English Teacher teaches students subjects related to English discipline, including grammar and English literature. He also helps to develop an English language arts curriculum for schools, universities, and other institutions.||INR 3.3 Lakhs|
|Content writer||A Content writer or a content curator is a person who writes a variety of unique materials for websites, blogs, magazines, social media, online newspapers/and more.||INR 2.8 Lakhs|
|Editor||An Editor’s main work is to prepare, rewrite, and edit copies for final submission, aiming to improve readability or to supervise others who do this work. He is also responsible for proofreading and correction of errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.||INR 3.5 Lakhs|
|Stenographer||A Stenographer is a person who works in the courtroom and transcribes spoken words by typing them, with the help of a typewriter or a steno machine.||INR 2.68 Lakhs|
|English proofreading||English proofreader’s main work is to read copies and transcripts and ensure that no spelling, grammatical, or any other kind of typographical errors are not present in the document. They work for publishers and newspapers.||INR 2.1 Lakhs|
MA English Scope
Upon successful completion of MA in English degree, a candidate may go for Lecturership, Journalism, or may apply for a teacher/trainee post in may government and private institutions. With the expansion of businesses, all over the world, and for English being the common language of communication, there is a huge demand for professionals from the MA English background. There is a number of courses that can be pursued after MA English like M.Phil English, Ph.D. English, and alike. Most of the MA English graduates don’t go for further studies and directly land on a good job, but they may pursue a Ph.D. or research as the next option to their career growth.
The average salary offered in India to successful MA English postgraduates is between INR 3 and 8 Lakhs annually. A candidate may develop his career in the fields of content writing, public relations, or as a media reporter. Most demanding job positions for the MA English graduates are English Teacher, English Faculty, Stenographer, English Translator, and many more. A student may also make his career in the communication industry, Indian Civil Services, Corporate communications, advertising industry, and online tutoring. So, it is sure this course graduate has an evergreen career and there are endless job opportunities in the future as well.
MA English: FAQs
Ques. What is the career scope of the MA English course in the Private Sector?
Ans. There are many career opportunities available for MA English students in the Private Sector. After completing their Master’s in English literature studies, students can apply for a trainee position, as corporate managers, communication HR, a journalist for many news channels or can apply for content development positions. Some of the other fields besides this are Freelance Writer, Copywriter, Editor, Jobs with BPO and KPO firms, Novelist, Technical Writer, Reporter, and Teacher.
Ques. What is the career scope of the MA English course in the Government Sector?
Ans. Graduates of English literature or to be specific MA English can apply for government jobs in literary critics, online publications, or government media & communication departments. Apart from this, there are many public service areas where they can get jobs. Some of the job profiles are Insurance Agent, Civil Service Officer, Interpreter, Decoders, Librarian, Teachers, Tourist guides, and Translators.
Ques. How is the MA English course useful?
Ans. English Literature is a wonderful subject. It helps students to learn about life and overcome the English communication barrier. A student can get advanced knowledge about the world of literature and enrich his speaking and writing skills. With the deep learning of prose, poetry and fiction, and poetry, it will make your learning a more joyous one. You will also learn about the beliefs, traditions, mindset, and culture of some popular countries like Britain or America.
Ques. What can one do after completing a course of MA English Literature?
Ans. Any candidate can go either for an M.Phil. or can prepare for NET JRF, if they aspire to become a college lecturer. One can also apply for a Ph.D. or can apply for a trainer or Teacher position in High school. Apart from these a candidate may also open his coaching institution or may apply for the position of corporate communication manager or public relations employee in any suitable firm.
Ques. Which university is good for MA English in India?
Ans. Some of the most popular universities and colleges in India which offer a Master of Arts in English course are Miranda House College, Presidency University, Lady Shri Ram College, St. Xavier’s College, Fergusson College, and many more.
Ques. What is the duration of a MA English Literature course in India?
Ans. The duration for a Master of Arts in English Literature is generally 2 years. A student may pursue the course on-campus or through distance learning.
Ques. Which universities offer Distance Education for MA English in India?
Ans. There are several universities in India, which offer students to pursue a Master’s degree in English in the distance or correspondence mode. Some of the colleges and universities are Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU), Amity University (Distance Learning), Annamalai University (Distance Education), and Madhya Pradesh Bhoj (Open) University.
Ques. What is the average annual fee for an MA English course?
Ans. The average fee charged by MA English Colleges ranges between INR 4,000 to 80,000 per annum. It can be higher or lower depending upon the institution which you have selected.
Ques. Which courses are studied in MA English?
Ans. Some of the courses available at different MA English offering Universities are British Literature, Indian Literature in English, American Literature, Translation Literature, Literary Theory, English Studies, Literary History, Women Writings, Postcolonial Literature, and Linguistics.
Ques. Is it true that the JNUEE exam’s last date to apply has been shifted due to COVID’19?
Ans. Yes, due to the coronavirus outbreak JNUEE 2020 exam's last date to apply has been extended to June 15, 2020.