MA Home Science involves the study of production, processing, preservation, quality management, plant harvesting including Breeding, Storage, Shortage of Vegetables, and Fruits. It is a 2-year post-graduate course dealing with areas from Perennial, Annual Species, etc.
It covers deeper concepts and techniques like Eco-friendly practices and food production.Admission to MA Homes Science is based on a merit basis. The minimum eligibility criteria are any Graduation Background with 50% aggregate.
MA in Home Science is taught in a number of institutions in India. Some of the colleges for pursuing Horticulture are
|College Name||Admission Process||Average Fee||Average Salary Package|
|Ranchi University||Merit-based||INR 2,850||INR 5 Lac|
|Banaras Hindu University||Entrance based||INR 49,108||INR 4Lac|
|Birsa Agricultural University||Merit-based||INR 15,500||INR 4.50Lac|
|Junagadh Agricultural University||Merit-based||INR 29,190||INR 5Lac|
|Anna University||Entrance based||INR 6,000||INR 5Lac|
MA Home Science average fees lie around INR 5,000 to INR 50,000 spending on colleges. The common job roles offered to a master’s graduate in Home Science are Production Manager, Food Inspector, Horticulturist, Floriculturist, Food Processing Plant Manager.
What is the MA in Home Science Admission Process?
Masters degree students are mainly selected on the basis of the BA score or there are selected on the basis of marks obtained in the last qualifying examination.
- Most of the institutes have merit-based admission for the Horticulture course.
- In the case of Entrance exams which are very few cases, it is required to keep an update on the notification of the following Home Science Colleges.
- After the announcement for application, candidates can apply online by visiting the website.
- Essential documents during registration should be uploaded correctly according to the instruction given.
- Test centers are mentioned in the portal to help the candidate in choosing centers according to their convenience.
- After the examination on the given date results will be announced on the following website.
- Candidates who manage to clear the set cut off marks by the institutions will be called for counseling.
- By producing original documents on the counseling date and completing the admission procedure candidate can secure their position in their choice of college.
What is the MA in Home Science Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria are applicable for both Merit-based or Entrance based examination. The minimum eligibility criteria for this course is listed below
- Graduation from a reputed college recognized by UGC.
- Graduation from a relevant discipline like BA in Home Science, Food Science etc
- Minimum 50% marks in graduation. There is a special provision for the reserved category.
How to get Admission in a Reputed MA in Home Science College?
Candidates who wish to get admission in the best colleges then they should smartly plan their schedule and get prepared to clear the entrance exam.
- Candidates need to have the minimum eligibility criteria of having 55% in the Graduation BA in a relevant field.
- Good preparation for the entrance exam is always a safe option.
- Preparation must be started after the announcement of the application fill-up that doubles up the chance of doing well in the exam.
- For the interview as well the General Awareness section candidate should be reading the newspaper and checking the trends and market of Home Science.
- Checking the course curriculum, regular and visiting faculty as well exposure, the internship will help the candidate to sort out the best college for them.
- Placement opportunity is a must on the checklist. The last few year’s records will be helpful to understand the placement condition.
Checkout: MA Distance Education 2021
What is MA in Home Science all about?
MA in Home Science is focused on learning environment-friendly sustainable methods of food production. Let us check a few important aspects of this course
- MA Home Science includes Medicinal, Ornamental Plants, Vegetables, Seaweed and Herbs, Mushroom and Nonfood crops like Grass, different quality of textiles, and food-related issues.
- This field of Home Science has its basic foundations in major technical areas i.e. Physiology, Ecology, Biometrics, Textile.
- MA Home Science is an interdisciplinary field of study involving physical sciences, biological sciences, and social sciences.
- This course is a unique blend of Science and Art of growing and cultivating plants together.
- MA Home Science is a great fit for aspirants who wish to pursue a career in both private as well as government health and hospitality sectors.
MA in Home Science Course Highlights
The basic information about the course is mentioned in the chart below
|Course Level||Postgraduate level|
|Full-Form||Master of Arts in Home Science|
|Examination type||Online / Offline|
|Eligibility||Graduation marks of 50% minimum aggregate|
|Admission Process||A valid score in CET, BHU PET.|
|Course Fee||50,000 INR|
|Average Salary||6 Lac approx|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Agricultural Machinery and Equipment Manufacturing Plant, Fertilizer Manufacturing Company, Gene Bank, Agriculture Department, Forest Department, Ornamental and Medicinal Plant Business.|
|Job Positions||Food Processing Units, Horticulturist, Floriculturist, Food Processing Plant.|
Why study MA in Home Science?
Home Science, modern applied science can change lives if implied properly. It makes our lifestyle more sustainable and this very thought can induce us to pursue this course. This postgraduate course encourages critical thinking and market research which are life-saving skills.
- MA in Home Science encourages students to learn more about the sustainable, organic lifestyle which includes fresh produce.
- Including landscape, garden, research about numerous horticultural plants and their benefits.
- Home Science courses help the students to understand the nourishment, health benefits, and aesthetics of different highly valued plants.
- By researching and learning about the consumer base, the designers get the opportunity to design products that are more user-friendly.
- Through this course, students will learn about various social, financial, environmental, and functional aspects.
- Genetics and functionality is the fundamental of this course with upcoming digital skills.
- The annual salary of a MA Home Science graduate can be around 5 to 6LPA.
Checkout: Jobs after MA Courses
MA in Home Science Course vs. MSc in Food Science: Which is Better?
Below given is a course comparison between MA Home Science and MSc in Food Science.
|Parameter||MA in Home Science||MSc in Food Science|
|Name of the Course||Master of Arts in Home Science||Master of Science in Food Science|
|Overview||MA in Home Science is a 2-year program designed to know about the science and art of development and use of high value and intensively cultivated organic foods, quality of textile, etc.||MSc in Food Science is a 2-year course focusing mainly on Nutrition, Quality Control, Manufacturing, Packaging, and Processing.|
|Admission procedure||Entrance Based / Merit Based||Entrance Based / Merit Based|
|Course Fee||INR 5,000 – 80,000||INR 8,000- 50,000|
|Eligibility||Any student with a BA in a relevant field from a recognized university.||Any student who has completed a Bachelor of Food Science or BTech with a minimum 55%from a recognized university.|
|Syllabus||Plant Design, Optimisation Techniques in Food Technology, Rheology and Textures, Meat and Marine Technology.Plant Physiology, Agronomy, Fertilizer Technology, Floriculture, and Plantation Management.||Protein Chemistry, Carbohydrate Chemistry, Food Plant Design, Optimisation Techniques in Food Technology, Rheology and Textures, Meat and Marine Technology.|
|Job Profile||Production Manager, Textile Designer, Food Inspector, Floriculturist, Gardener, Teacher.||Food Technologist, Production Manager, Biochemist, Quality Control, Food Inspector.|
|Average annual salary||INR 4,00,00 to 7,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to 6,00,000|
What are the Top MA in Home Science Colleges?
Below given are some of the premium institutes in India. Given Below are some of the best colleges with location, fee, and placement.
|College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|Central University Of Punjab||Punjab||INR 5040||INR 5Lac|
|Anna University||Chennai||INR 49000||INR 4.50Lac|
|Amity University||Noida||INR 1.38 Lac||INR 4.80 Lac|
|Lovely Professional University||Jalandhar||INR 2.40 Lac||INR 5 Lac|
|Ranchi University||Ranchi||INR 2,850||INR 5 Lac|
|Birsa Agricultural University||Ranchi||INR 15,500||INR 4.50Lac|
|Junagadh Agricultural University||Junagadh||INR 29190||INR 5Lac|
|University of Horticultural Sciences||Bagalkot||INR 21,400||INR 4Lac|
|BBAU||Lucknow||INR 50,000||INR 4.80Lac|
MA in Home Science College Comparison
The top 3 colleges for MA in Home Science have slight differences which are categorized according to some parameters as mentioned below
|Parameters||Anna University||Ranchi University||Central University Of Punjab|
|Overview||Anna University established in 1978 granted by UGC. It has 13 constituent colleges with 3 regional campuses.||Ranchi University is one of the oldest universities in India. RU was established in 1960. This university is AICTE, UGC, NAAC affiliated.||CUP, Bathinda was established in 2009. It is the youngest university to rank in the Top 100 Universities.|
|Eligibility||Minimum 55% aggregate in the BTech or BSc or B.A degree in Home Science, Food Technology/Food Science.||Minimum 55% -60% in Bachelors degree in Home Science, Food Technology.||Graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Food Science/ Engineering/ Technology from a recognized university under UGC.|
|Admission process||TANCET Entrance Test +Interview||Merit Basis||Entrance exam (CET)followed by personal interview|
|Average Fee||INR 49,000||INR 66,000||INR 5,040|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Amul, Godrej Industrial Ltd, Dabur India Ltd, Hindustan Unilever Ltd.||ITC Ltd, Agro Tech Foods, Nestle India Pvt. Ltd, Cadbury India Ltd.||Coca-Cola India Ltd, Amul,Parle Agro ,Britannia Industries Ltd.|
What is the MA in Home Science Syllabus?
The course syllabus is nicely designed within 2 years with almost 4 to 5 papers as mentioned
|Year I||Year II|
|Advanced Food Science||Orchard Management|
|Clothing and Textile||Spices Plantation|
|Statistical Method||Design of Experiments|
|Medicinal and Aromatic Plants||Rural Sociology and Development|
What are the MA in Home Science Important Books?
Some of the academic books with the name of the author are mentioned which are followed by these top institutes are
|Principles of Horticulture||C R Adams|
|Textbook of Food Science & Technology||Avantina Sharma|
|Glaustas Horticulture||P Muthukumar and R Selvakumar|
|Objective Home Science||RPH Editorial Board|
|Text Book of Home Science||Premlata Mullick|
What is the MA in Home Science Job Prospects and Career Options?
This course is so versatile and dynamic candidates can expect job offers for a variety of roles related to Home Science. MA Home Science graduates in Home Science can work in Textile Designing, Technician, Seed Technology, Plant Breeding, Plant Cultivation, Plant Physiology. Below given are some more job roles for these graduates.
|Job Roles||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Lab Technician||The major responsibility is to provide the technical support needed to enable the lab to function efficiently.||INR 4 Lac|
|Production Manager||They are responsible for planning, organizing production schedules. They assess project and resource requirements.||INR 6 Lac|
|Beverage Technologist||They are responsible for the overall planning, organizing production schedules. They assess project and resource requirements.||INR 6.20 Lac|
|Horticulturist||To work in the production and cultivation of plants. They involve new breeds and yields.||INR 4.45Lac|
|Floriculturist||They are responsible for cultivating flowering plants, ornamental plants on a large scale.||INR 3.80Lac|
|Horticultural Education Supervisor||Work for the teaching, advising, mentoring, and guiding aspiring plant enthusiasts.||INR 5.20Lac|
|Food Inspector||They ensure the maintenance of the quality of food during manufacturing.||INR 5.96 Lac|
|Scientific Administrative Assistant at Gene Bank||They are responsible for preserving the genetic material of rare medicinal and valuable plants.||INR 5 Lac|
What is the MA in Home Science Future Scope?
MA graduate in Home Science is open to working in a variety of fields that are related to Plant biology which can range from Food Industry, Agricultural Institute, Medicinal Plant Research Institute, Organic Farms.
- For the Government Sector, candidates can also opt for professions such as Forest Officer, Field Officer, Administrative Head, and Assistant Professor.
- MA Home Science graduates can also opt for PhD courses and work as an assistant professor in private institutions and colleges.
- They can also prepare for competitive civil entrance exams. Having such a government job will give them amazing perks and a handsome amount of Salary in hand.
MA Home Science FAQs (h2)
Ques. What are the top employment areas for graduates of MA Home Science?
Ques. What makes the course Home Science still relevant and practical?
Ques. Is an MA in Home Science a demanding course?
Ques. What is the duration of the course?
Ques. Name some entrance tests for MA in Home Science .
Ques. What are the common job profiles?
Ques. What is the starting salary of an Home Science graduate in an entry level job ?
Ques. What is the expected skill from a Master’s graduate in Home Science?
Ques. Does MSc and M.Tech in Home Science have the same value ?
Ques. What are the academic options after MA in Home Science ?