What is MA Mass Communication ?
MA Mass Communication is a Postgraduate Mass Communication course. The total duration of this course is 2 years and it is divided into 4 semesters. The subjects included in this course are communication research, development communication, development of media, interactive communication skills, media law and ethics etc.
The basic eligibility to pursue MA Mass Communication requires a candidate must hold a Bachelor’s degree in any stream (preferably in mass communication).
The colleges offering Ma Mass Communication grant admission on the basis of entrance examination conducted by the respective colleges and universities. Post that the candidates have to go through a Group Discussion round and a Personal Interview round, depending on the college they might choose.
The total course fees for 2 years lies between INR 50,000 to INR 5,00,000. The exact fees can be varied according to the different colleges.
A MA Mass Communication course opens doors for a career in fashion photographer, film director, producer, screenwriter, journalist, TV correspondence, public relation officer etc. and the fields and sectors available after completing this course are television, online media, event management, news agencies, film making, legal affairs department etc.
The average salary offered by the industries to the graduates of MA Mass Communication is nearly 4.78 LPA and it can be varied according to the positions of the different jobs.
MA Mass Communication Course Highlights
Here we listed some highlights of the course in the table given below:
|Course||MA (Mass Communication)|
|Full form||Masters of Arts in Mass communication|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any stream/subject.|
|Admission process||Based on the entrance exam followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview.|
|Average tuition fees||INR 5,000 to INR 5L|
|Average salary||INR 4.78-6 LPA|
|Employment areas||Academic Institutes, Corporate Communication, Legal Affairs Department, Press Information Bureau, News & Magazines, Advertising Agencies etc.|
|Job profiles||Client Servicing Manager, Fashion Photographer, Public Relations Officer, Assistant Technical Officer, Broadcast Assistant, Assistant/Deputy Manager etc.|
|MA Mass Communication Scope||MBA/PhD|
Top MA Mass Communication Colleges
Here we have mentioned some of the top MA Mass Communication colleges according to NIRF College Ranking Survey 2020 in the table given below:
|NIRF Ranking, 2020||College Name||Location||Admission Process||Total Fees (INR)||Average Salary Package (INR)|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance-Based||4,620||6 LPA|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi||Entrance-Based||10,000||4.86 LPA|
|17||Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||Entrance-Based||1,18,570||5 LPA|
|43||Symbiosis International||Pune||Entrance-Based||4,16,000||12 LPA|
|-||St. Xavier’s University||Kolkata||Entrance-Based||1,79,000||2.31 LPA|
What is the MA Mass Communication Admission Process ?
Some rare universities and colleges admit students on the basis of marks obtained in bachelor’s degree.The aspirants have to fill the application form to grant admission in the course of their choice.
Candidates should carry some documents at the time of merit based admission to the course and some of the are:
- Proof of passing minimum required qualification for the course (Marksheets).
- Proof of entitlement for a particular reservation category (SC/ST/OBC certificate).
- High school/secondary school certificate for age proof.
- Transfer certificate/Migration certificate.
- Character certificate.
- Two passport size photographs for identity cards.
- Medical fitness certificate.
However, all the top MA Mass Communication colleges conduct entrance tests to offer admission to the course. Following are the steps of the same:
STEP 1- Fill the entrance exam’s application form in online mode on the official website of the entrance exam conducting body.
STEP 2- Download your admit card by visiting the official website of the particular college.
STEP 3- Appear in the entrance exam.
STEP 4- Then wait for the declaration of the result of the entrance exam.
STEP 5- Appear for Group Discussion/Interview round.
STEP 6- Complete the verification process and gain enrolment to the course.
Do I Qualify the MA Mass Communication Eligibility Criteria?
Following are some of the mandatory MA Mass Communication eligibility requirements to be fulfilled:
- The basic eligibility to get admission in the course is to hold a bachelor's degree in any stream from a recognized university.
- The candidate should have scored 50 % marks in aggregate at graduation level.
- The candidates have to qualify the entrance examination conducted by the particular university and college.
- After entrance examination the candidates have to clear the second round i.e., generally based on group discussion.
- After clearing GD round, candidates have to face a personal interview, and only after clearing GD + PI round the candidates can take admission in this course.
What are the Top MA Mass Communication Entrance Exams?
Here is the list of MA Mass Communication entrance exams conducted by the various colleges and universities in India:
IIMC entrance exam- Indian Institute of Mass Communication Entrance Examination conducted by the Indian Institute of Mass Communication at PG level. It’s an offline mode exam of 2 hours. The paper will be descriptive. The Indian Institute of Mass Communication (IIMC) has decided to not conduct the entrance exams for its diploma courses for the academic year 2020-2021.
XIC OET- Xavier Institute of Communication Online Entrance Exam, is conducted by the Xavier Institute of Communications at national level to offer candidates admission in mass communication courses. The test will be conducted via online mode. The duration of this exam is 1 hour 30 minutes.
IPU CET- IPU CET 2021 will be conducted by Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University once a year. It is a national level exam organized every year to offer admissions into various UG & PG courses in different fields. Total duration of this exam is 3 hours.
JMI entrance exam- Jamia Millia Islamia entrance exam is conducted annually for different courses offered at Jamia Millia Islamia. It is a national-level entrance exam, conducted in offline mode at various exam centers once a year. Total duration to solve all the questions is 3 hours.
|EXAM NAME||APPLICATION DATE||EXAM DATE||EXAM MODE|
|IIMC entrance exam||July 2021||August-September 2021||Pen – paper-based test|
|XIC OET||April 2021||April-May, 2021||Online|
|IPU CET||Closed||To be announced||Online|
|JMI entrance exam||February 2021||August 2021||Offline|
How to Prepare for the MA Mass Communication Entrance Test?
May to June is the month of these entrance tests to take place and therefore, every student wants to prepare in the right direction. If you want to make a career in MA Mass Communication then here are some tips that will make it easier to crack the entrances:
- Take special care of your language while giving the entrance exam. Always write in colloquial language.
- You will be able to write better on the topic asked in the exam only when you have a good knowledge about that topic. Whatever you write in the entrance exam should be a strong fact. Therefore, while preparing for the entrance exam, you must read at least 3-4 newspapers and news websites daily.
- Take interest in the debates on the news channel and listen to it.
- Pay attention to your speaking style, body language and communication.
- Do not write flat on topical subjects, you should have the ability to analyze any news.
How to Crack MA Mass Communication Interview?
After passing the written exam, the challenge is to pass the interview. In most institutes, the marks of interview are 15 % of the total marks. Therefore, here are some tips from which you can crack the interview:
- You should have complete information about the state or district from which you come because most of the questions are asked in the interview related to the place you belong.
- Do not panic while giving interviews, if you don’t know the answer of any question, then you can directly say that you are not aware of it.
- You can be also asked questions related to whatever subject you have graduated from, so work on them as well.
How to Get Admission in a Good MA Mass Communication College?
Following are some of the vital points to help you get an admission to a good MA Mass Communication college:
- Your entrance exam’s score usually counts highly by the colleges. To best prepare for your tests, take a college test prep course or buy a prep book. It will help the students in study and determine the best way for you to conquer your test and receive the best score possible.
- Your overall marks in bachelor’s degree also serves as an indicator of your academic success. Colleges may look at your transcript to get an idea of how you performed in your classes.
- Many colleges will ask you to submit an essay or personal statement and some will require you to answer additional questions with shorter essays, here is your opportunity to put your personality into your application.
What is MA Mass Communication all about?
Let us see what the course is all about through the mentioned below points:
- Through this course you learn how information related to anything in the world is communicated all over the world at the same time.
- This includes detailed courses on radio, newspaper, television and radio. That is, print media, electronic media, social media are part of mass communication.
- In this course you will learn how mass communication helps people in developing an understanding of social problems and making informed decisions.
- A MA Mass Communication course studies how a person could disseminate information and make it reach the general public.
- The students will study how the content of mass communication affects the behavior, attitude, opinion, or emotion of the person or people who are receiving the information.
Why Study MA Mass Communication?
Before taking any course, a question is usually arising in the mind of the student i.e., why he/she should do this course. So, here are some benefits of this course:
- MA Mass Communication is one of those courses after which students can make a career in the field of media and cinema.
- Students doing this course can work as an anchor, reporter, script writer, camera person, actor, director etc.
- Mass communication is a very popular course at the present time, it is also called mass media or mass communication. Under this course you will get knowledge about film, newspaper, event management, marketing etc.
- The course will help you with a lot of things like improving your communication skills, letting you know how to communicate in a professional environment, how to write articles, how to be a better communicator, etc.
- While pursuing his degree you will learn about different industries like advertising and media in it.
- You can easily grab public relations jobs or media related jobs after this degree.
MA Mass Communication vs MA Journalism
Some students get confused in these courses, as they have similarities but are completely different from one another. So here is the difference between MA Mass Communication and MA Journalism :
|Parameters||MA Mass Communication||MA Journalism|
|Overview||MA Mass Communication deals with different mediums of media to spread message, information etc.||MA Journalism is all about news reporting.|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any stream/subject with a minimum of 50% marks and qualify entrance examination.||Bachelor’s degree in mass communication or journalism with a minimum of 50% marks.|
|Admission Process||Entrance followed by GD + PI.||Entrance followed by GD + PI.|
|Total Fees||INR 50,000 to INR 5,00,00||INR 50,000 to INR 2,00,00|
|Job Positions||fashion photographer, Film director, Journalist, Screenwriter, Public relation officer, Client Servicing Manager, etc.||Reporters, Correspondents, Editors, Writers, copywriter, content creator, social media specialist, journalist etc.|
|Average Salary||INR 4.78 LPA||INR 5-6 LPA|
Source: Official Websites and Payscale
Top MA Mass Communication Colleges
Tabulated below are some more top MA Mass Communication colleges, along with the location, admission process, fees and salary details.
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Total Fees (INR)||Average Salary Package (INR)|
|Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||Entrance-Based||4,620||6 LPA|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||Delhi||Entrance-Based||10,000||4.86 LPA|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||Entrance-Based||1,18,570||5 LPA|
|Symbiosis International||Pune||Entrance-Based||4,16,000||12 LPA|
|St. Xavier’s University||Kolkata||Entrance-Based||1,79,000||2.31 LPA|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||Entrance-Based||50,000||2 LPA|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||Entrance-Based||20,000||3 LPA|
|Pondicherry University||Pondicherry||Entrance-Based||20,735||2.78 LPA|
|Xavier University||Bhubaneshwar||Entrance-Based||2,35,000||6.75 LPA|
|Doon Business School||Dehradun||Entrance-Based||1,00,000||4.87 LPA|
MA Mass Communication: College Comparison
Below we have made a comparison between the top three MA Mass Communication colleges on major grounds that any aspirant can have a look on..
|Parameter||Banaras Hindu University||Jamia Millia Islamia||Chandigarh University|
|Overview||The University came into existence in 1916. NIRF ranked BHU at 3rd rank in India Rankings 2018 and 9th in the ‘Overall’ category in India. Internationally the university was ranked 801-1000 in the QS World Rankings of 2018||Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi an institution originally established at Aligarh in United Provinces. The professors of the university are very much experienced, who can teach you very well. Also, the university has a very healthy atmosphere.||Chandigarh University is a UGC approved private university established in the year 2012 by an act of the Punjab State Legislature. Since its inception it has achieved several milestones and is ranked as one of the top private universities in India. Chandigarh University admission to all the UG and PG courses is based on a candidate's performance in the University-conducted entrance exam called CUCET.|
|Location||Varanasi||Jamia Nagar, Delhi||Chandigarh|
|Admission Process||Entrance-Based||Entrance-Based||Entrance exam followed by PI + GD|
|Total Fees||INR 4,620||INR 10,000||INR 50,000|
|Average Annual Package||INR 6 LPA||INR 4.86 LPA||INR 5.96 LPA|
|Top Recruiters||HSBC, Mahindra & Mahindra, MICROSOFT, Hindustan Times Digital, TCS, etc||Accenture, Byju’s, Hindustan Times Digital, TCS, Adobe Systems, Indian Navy, HSBC Technology and many more.||Taj, AMAZON, MICROSOFT, IBM, Wipro, Capgemini, Mindtree, Mahindra & Mahindra, Royal Enfield, Hyundai, TAFE, etc.|
Source: Official Websites
MA Mass Communication Syllabus
Tabulated below are the main MA Mass Communication subjects included in the course syllabus, as per each semester.
|SEMESTER 1||SEMESTER 2|
|Principles of Mass Communication||Development Communication|
|Development of Media||Communication Research|
|Print Media - I (Reporting and Editing)||Media Management & Media Laws|
|Electronic Media - I (Radio & Television)||International Communication|
|SEMESTER 3||SEMESTER 4|
|Print Media – II (Reporting & Editing)||New Media Applications|
|Electronic Media – II (Radio & Television)||InterCultural Communication|
|Advertising or Ecology and Environment of India||Project (Specialization Paper)|
|Advertising or Ecology and Environment of India||Environmental Communication|
What After MA Mass Communication?
MA Mass Communication can lead to a diverse selection of career opportunities. There are various MA Mass Communication jobs available like Broadcast Assistant, Client Servicing Manager, Event Manager, Fashion Photographer, Public Relations Officer, Radio Jockey, etc.
By the above mentioned MA Mass Communication jobs, it is quite evident that these professionals get a huge variety of jobs in the Event Companies, Radio, Television, Newspapers Houses, Multinational national companies, etc.
With the average salary of these aspirants ranging from INR 4.78-6 LPA, Times of India Group, India Today Group, HT Media, Anand Bazaar Patrika, Zee Entertainment Enterprise, etc are some of the top recruiters of this company.
Here are some popularMA Mass Communication jobs with their description and average salary package offered to the graduates.
|Jobs||Description||Average Salary (INR)|
|Fashion Photographer||Fashion Photographer work is taking photographs of the latest costumes, hairstyles, make-up and accessories. The job of a Fashion photographer is a glamorous and competitive one. They have to undergo foreign travel to various exotic locations where they get an opportunity to mingle with celebrity culture.||5.2 LPA|
|Radio Jockey||Radio Jockey are not supposed to work for any number of fixed hours a day. They work according to the number of assignments given to them from time to time. They can be asked to anchor a show any time of the day or night.||3.33 LPA|
|Public Relations Officer||Public Relations Officers Public relations officers make use of multiple communication channels to create and sustain a good image for their company or organizations. They not only handle media inquiries, arrange interviews and provide information upon request, but they also are typically involved in media training and preparations.||4.60 LPA|
|Client Servicing Manager||The job description of client servicing manager involves contacting clients to identify their needs, and then facilitate the process to meet the needs and requirements. Client Servicing Manager develop and implement customer service policies and procedures define and communicate customer service standards review and assess customer service contracts oversee the achievement||5.21 LPA|
|Film Director||A film director directs the whole process of making a film by visualizing the script while guiding the actors and technical crew to capture the vision for the screen. They control the film’s dramatic and artistic aspects. Other important duties and responsibilities a Film Director takes on include: Communicating with everyone involved in the project Working with other team supervisors to ensure the project stays on task and that deadlines and budget constraints are Hiring cast members, production professionals.||4.94 LPA|
What is the Future scope of MA Mass Communication?
In today’s time, mass communication is the most preferred career of students as the glow of the media has impressed everyone. Therefore, after this course, you can pursue a career in film industry, TV news channels and newspaper in the fields of cameraman, film director, etc. Apart from this, the doors of employment remain open for mass communication students in the advertising industry as well
At present there are many excellent career options in the field of mass communication, the way of getting into films is also cleared through mass communication courses.If you want to become a director or video editor in the film industry or a film script writer, cinematography, you can also look for a career in the film industry after mass communication.
MA Mass Communication FAQs
QUES. Does the MA Mass Communication syllabus include maths ?
ANS. No, for doing MA Mass Communication, maths is not compulsory.
QUES. What are the popular specializations related to MA Mass Communication?
ANS. Sports journalism, science journalism, fashion journalism, film making, advertising, corporate communication and many other fields.
QUES. Can I still take admission in Mass Communication despite COVID-19 crisis in India?
ANS. Yes, you can still apply for the admission in mass communication course, there is no delay or postponement in the admission process of the colleges, it can be done through online mode.
QUES. What is the level and duration of the course?
ANS. The duration of MA mass Communication course is 2 years and it is the postgraduate level course.
QUES. What are the total fees charged by the universities and colleges to study MA (Mass Communication) courses?
ANS. The total fees charged by the universities and colleges to study MA Mass Communication courses ranges from INR 50,000 to INR 5,00,000
QUES. What are the salary packages after completing this course?
ANS. The salary packages after completing this course argos from INR 4.78 to 6 LPA
QUES. Who can apply for the MA Mass Communication program?
ANS. The student who holds bachelor’s degree in any field with an aptitude and interest in the subject can apply for the MA Mass Communication program
QUES. What about the internship possibilities while pursuing the course?
ANS. Students are required to undertake a 4-6-week internship in any of the media or related organizations in the break between the second & third semester.
QUES. What are the top entrance exams conducted for the admission in MA Mass Communication course?
ANS. IIMC entrance exam, XIC OET, DUET, IPU CET, etc are the top entrance exams conducted for the admission in MA Mass Communication course.