MA Public Administration is a 2-year post-graduate program offered by the Social Science department of various universities across the country. The main aim of the course is to provide comprehensive knowledge on the interrelationships between State, Society and Administration.
Candidates should have a minimum aggregate of 50% or its equivalent CGPA in graduation from a recognized university to be eligible for the course. This course will enlighten the learners on various administrative theories, postulates, models, process, methods etc.
Admission to MA in Public Administration is mostly through entrance examination. Various colleges conduct their own entrance examination. But some colleges, like the Madras Christian college, take admission on the basis of merit as well.
The course offers specializations in a variety of subjects such as management, political science, economics, civics, law, among others.
Candidates can pursue MA in Public Administration as a full time course or even as a part time course. Many colleges, like the IGNOU, also offer this course in distance learning mode.
The average annual tuition fees to study a full time MA Public Administration program ranges from INR 5,000 - INR 1,20,000 depending on the college.
Following are top MA Public Administration colleges in India.
|NIRF 2021 Rank||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|3||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Entrance based||INR 4,620||INR 4,50,000|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi||Entrance based||INR 10,000||INR 4,86,000|
|17||Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh||Entrance based||INR 1,18,570||INR 5,02,000|
|100-150||Amity University, Noida||Written Test followed by GD and PI||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|100-150||Annamalai University, Chidambaram||Merit-based||INR 5,885||INR 6,05,000|
MA Public Administration graduates can pursue jobs in the private sector and work as a human resource manager, legal counsellor, consultant, or marketing manager. They will also get huge job opportunities in the various administrative departments of the government. The average starting salary ranges from INR 4-7 Lakhs.
After MA Public Administration, a candidate can also go for higher studies and research in this field such as PhD and MPhil Degree in Public Administration.
MA Public Administration Admission Process
In general, admission to Master of Public Administration is based on either merit (scores in graduate) and/or various entrance examinations conducted by university/college offering the course. Personal Interview rounds are also conducted.
Following are the common MA (Public Administration) admission process in details:
Merit Based Admission
Colleges like Madras Christian College – Chennai, Nizam College – Hyderabad, Presidency College – Chennai provide admission on the basis of marks scored in the qualifying examination.
Here are steps for merit based admission:
- Candidates can either apply to the college online or offline by downloading the application form from the college website
- On filling up the application form, the candidates can pay the application fee either online or through Demand Draft as per the guidelines
- Post submitting the application form, the college declares the cut off list on the basis of marks obtained by the candidates in their graduation.
- Upon getting shortlisted, few colleges take group discussions and personal interviews on the basis of which, the final selection is made.
- Such candidates are asked to report at the institution for completing the admission process.
Entrance Based Admission
- Some universities like Jamia Millia Islamia University-Delhi, Aligarh Muslim University, Banaras Hindu University conduct entrance exams for admission to MA Public Administration.
- MA Public Administration eligible candidates can fill and submit the entrance exam application form which is released by the universities.
- The entrance test is conducted on a pre-notified date and time and the candidates are tested for their knowledge of subjects related to administration.
- The most common subjects are Indian Constitution, Government and politics of India, theories and concepts of public administration along with the current affairs and general knowledge.
MA Public Administration Eligibility
In almost all educational institutions, the educational qualification for MA Public Administration remains the same.
- The candidates must have completed a graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university with at least 50 percent aggregate marks.
- The age limit and other criteria for admission varies from college to college.
MA Public Administration Entrance Exams
Some of the MA entrance exams are:
- IPU CET 2020 : This is a national level test, conducted in the month of May for postgraduate admission to colleges of Indraprastha University
- JMI 2020: This is a national level test, conducted for postgraduate admission to colleges of Jamia Millia Islamia (JMI)
- AMU 2020: This is a national level test, conducted for postgraduate admission to colleges of Aligarh Muslim University
- PET 2020: This test is conducted for admission to PG programs in Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi
|Exam Name||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|BHU PET||31st May 2020||To be notified later||Online|
|IPU CET||10th June 2020||To be notified later||Pen Paper test|
|JMI Entrance exam||30th June 2020||Likely August 2020||Online|
|AMU Entrance Exam||7th March 2020||July or August 2020||Pen paper based|
How To Prepare For MA Public Administration Entrance Exam?
- MA Public Administration exams usually consist of sections like Current Affairs, Indian Constitution, Government and politics of India.
- For scoring in current affairs, reading the newspaper daily would help you prepare for this section in the best way.
- The habit of reading the newspaper daily will also help you at the time of personal interview and group discussions.
Some of the main topics that should be covered by the candidates are :
- History of indian administration, Important PSUs.
- National and state political parties.
- Cold war history.
- International organizations like IMF, World Bank, United Nations Organisation-Bodies, Function and their HQs.
- GST+NITI Aayog- governing structure and all Constitutional Bodies.
- Paradigm Shifts in Public Administration.
Candidates should solve previous years’ papers to get a knack of paper pattern.Candidates while solving previous years’ papers solve them in a timed manner so that they get a practice to solve it in time
How to get admission in the top MA Public Administration College?
Keep the following things in mind to get an admission in a good MA college:
- Since many colleges take admission on the basis of marks obtained in the graduation, hence candidates should perform exceptionally well during their graduation, so that it becomes easier to clear the cut off list.
- Though the minimum marks required is 50%, the cutoff generally ranges between 75% - 85%, depending on the university.
- For colleges that take entrance tests, candidates should develop a habit of reading newspapers in order to strengthen their general knowledge.
- Try to solve as many questions as you can in the entrance exam. A candidate should aim to attempt at least 90% correct questions.
- Be updated with the deadlines of filling the application forms through websites, newspapers and magazines.
- Practice previous years papers to improve your time management skills at the time of entrance exams.
MA Public Administration : What is it about?
Check the below mentioned points to know more about Master of Public Administration course details:
- MA Public Administration is a postgraduate Public Administration course. This program is a professional degree course in the public sector and it prepares individuals to serve as administrators.
- The course duration is divided into four semesters. It can be pursued through correspondence or distance education also.
- The Master of Public Administration course gives students a basic understanding of the mechanism of various government agencies and their functioning.
- It also covers several socio-political issues which need to be addressed in our society.
- It deals mainly with financial administration and the basics of Administrative theory.
- Candidates who possess good communication skills, both written and verbal, team-spirit, the ability to handle and comprehend numerical data are most suitable for this course.
- This course also demands leadership abilities which helps the candidates carry out their practical work (field work) efficiently.
MA Public Administration : Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full form||Master of Arts (Public Administration)|
|Eligibility||Graduate from a recognized university|
|Admission process||Entrance exam based and merit based|
|Course fee||INR 60,000-1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4 – 7 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Air India, DLF, Godrej, HCL, HDFC Bank, India Bulls, Maruti Suzuki, NTPC|
|Job Positions||Lecturer, Researcher, The foreign service, Tax examiner, Budget analyst, Consultant|
Why MA Public Administration?
Candidates can choose MA in Public Administration due to it following advantages:
- MA (Public Administration) degree assists as a basis for further higher studies and research in this field such as Ph.D and M.Phil Degree in Public Administration
- Master of Public Administration graduates currently serve in some important positions within the public sector.
- This list includes Prime Minister of Singapore Lee Hsien Loong, former UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-Moon, former CIA Director David Petraeus, former President of Liberia Ellen Johnson Sirleaf
- On successful completion of Master’s degree in Public Administration, a student can apply for the UGC-NET or JRF exam; the success in these exams makes teaching or research as good options.
- Many public administration and social policy graduates find employment in management positions within public sector organizations, such as the NHS(National Health Service) authorities and the criminal justice system.
- Opportunities also occur in social work and other personal social services work, social and political research organizations and further and higher education institutions with sufficient compensation.
- There are several MA Public Administration job opportunities for graduates offered by Indian Civil Services, Land Revenue Bodies, Municipal Corporations and various healthcare organizations.
MA Public Administration vs MBA
MA is Masters of Arts in Public Administration and MBA is Masters of Business Administration. Both these courses have their own specializations and subjects. Below are the major points of difference in them:
|Parameters||MA Public Administration||MBA|
|Full Form||Masters of Arts in Public Administration||Master of Business Administration|
|Objective||It is more concerned with public affairs. It teaches its students how to master government administration and public services.||It is more focused on developing business and technical knowledge among students. It teaches its students how to administer your business properly.|
|Admission process||Merit or Entrance exam||Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000||INR 8,00,000|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4-7 Lakhs||INR 10-15 Lakhs|
|Job Opportunities||Law enforcement administrator, Emergency management director, Administrative services manager, Community development director, City manager||Marketing manager, Financial manager, Human resources manager, Nonprofit director, Operations manager|
Read more on Top MBA Colleges in India
Source : College Websites
MA Public Administration Colleges in India
Some of the top MA Public Administration colleges in India are described in the table below:
|NIRF 2021 Ranking||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average annual Salary|
|3 (University)||Banaras Hindu University, Varanasi||Varanasi||INR 4,620||INR 4,50,000|
|5 (College)||Presidency College||Chennai||INR 3,323||INR 5,30,000|
|10 (University)||Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||INR 10,000||INR 4,86,000|
|17 (College)||Madras Christian College||Chennai||INR 56,914||INR 2,50,000 - INR 3,50,000|
|29 (College)||Sri Krishna Arts and Science College||Coimbatore||INR 8,000||INR 4,10,000|
|101-150 (College)||DAV College||Chandigarh||INR 38,288||INR 3,00,000|
|101-150 (University)||Annamalai University||Chidambaram||INR 5,585||INR 6,05,000|
|101-150 (University)||Amity University||Noida||INR 1,00,000||INR 3,00,000|
|150-200 (College)||SS Jain Subodh PG college||Jaipur||INR 8,800||INR 4,60,000|
Source : College Websites
MA Public Administration Distance Learning
A large number of students every year go ahead with an MA Public Administration through distance education. In this route, the candidates are not required to attend the classes on a regular basis. Rather, they just need to apply for the course by filling an application form and study at their home, as per their convenience.
At the end of each academic year, the students can appear in the annual examination. The distance education route is most suitable for those who are working professionals, or those who can take admission in as a regular student due to financial reasons.
Some of the colleges that offers distance education in MA Public Administration are:
|Institute Name||Location||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Package|
|Indira Gandhi National Open University||New Delhi||INR 6000 to INR 8000||INR 2,50,000-4,00,000|
|Nalanda Open University||Patna, Bihar||INR 7200||INR 3,00,000|
|Uttarakhand Open University||Nainital, Uttarakhand||INR 3675||INR 2,00,000|
|Uttar Pradesh Rajarshi Tandon open university||Prayagraj, U.P.||INR 3700||INR 3,35,000|
|Yashwantrao Chavan Open University||Nashik, Maharashtra||INR 4200||INR 2,50,000|
Source: College Websites
MA Public Administration is offered by many top colleges in our country. Here we have compared three of the renowned colleges offering MA in Public Administration.
|Parameters||BHU||Presidency College||Madras Christian College|
|Overview||Banaras Hindu University, better known as BHU, is one of the oldest educational institutions in India. Currently, it is regarded as one of the largest residential deemed universities in Asia. It provides a plethora of courses including, MBBS, MBA, BA, MA, BSc, MSc, among others.||Presidency College is an autonomous college which is currently one of the top ten colleges in India. Established way back in 1840, it is one of the oldest colleges in India. It provides courses mainly in the field of arts, science and law.||Madras Christian College is also one of the oldest colleges in India. It is an autonomous college affiliated to the University of Madras. It is a NAAC grade A accredited institution. It provides a plethora of courses in fields of Science, Arts and Social Work.|
|NIRF Ranking 2021||3rd among top universities in India||5th among top colleges in India||17th among top colleges in India|
|Admission Process||Entrance Based (BHU PET)||On the basis of merit, followed by personal interview||Merit based (only those candidates who passed BA from this college are eligible to apply)|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 4,620||INR 3,323||INR 56,940|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4,50,000||INR 5,30,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Recruiters||Infosys, Coal India, ICICI Bank, Godrej, Pioneer||TCS, Infosys, Deloitte||Wipro, Accenture, Aditya Birla Group|
MA Public Administration Syllabus
The MA Public Administration course covers all the topics related to the functioning of government and public organisations.
A detailed MA Public Administration syllabus is mentioned below:
|First Year||Second Year|
|Administrative theory||Citizen and administration|
|Administrative behavior||CoMA.P.A.rative public administration|
|Fundamentals of research||Democratic decentralization and local administration|
|Administrative law||Development administration|
|Indian administrative system||Research writing|
|Dissertation||Dissertation – 2|
|Public financial administration||International organization and administration|
|Research methods and design||Specialization subjects|
|Public personnel administration|
|Role of ICT in governance|
|Research Methodologies and Methods|
|India: Democracy and Development|
MA Public Administration : Important Books
Some of the most helpful books for this course are:
|Public Budgeting Systems||Robert D. Less|
|Managing Human Behavior in Public and Nonprofit Organizations||Robert B. Denhardt|
|Politics of the Administrative Process||Donald F. Kettl|
|The Administrative Threat (Encounter Intelligence)||Philip Hamburger|
|Administrative Thinkers||Prasad and Prasad|
MA Public Administration Job Profiles and Career Prospects
Public administration has quickly grown prominence in India and the scope of the administration is increasing day by day.
Some of the job options are mentioned below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Budget analyst||To ensures the proper management of financial and other resources||INR 6,50,000|
|Tax Examiner||To regulate and control financial mismanagement and ensure all taxes are collected as per the law||INR 6,00,000|
|Administrative officer||To provide administrative support to an organization including inventory management, organizing company records, roster scheduling, budget and office reporting, invoicing and customer service.||INR 3,50,000|
|Consultant||To offer advice and expertise to organizations to help them improve their business performance in terms of operations, profitability, management, structure and strategy||INR 6,00,000-7,00,000|
MA Public Administration Future Scope
- After completing the MA in Public Administration degree, those interested in higher education are left with a variety of options. Traditionally, if a student completes the MA in Public Administration degree, he/she can pursue a PhD course as part of higher education.
- The study of administration as a whole has close proximity to the study of management, hence, the students can also take up higher education in the field of management after completing the postgraduate degree.
- The candidates can further apply for the state public services or UPSC. One of the most sought after job profiles in India, civil services is called the steel frame of India. The work of a civil servant is most suitable for a public administration graduate as they are trained in the work of administration.
Ph.D. Public Administration: Ph.D. Public Administration or Doctor of Philosophy in Public Administration is a Doctorate Level Public Administration course. The minimum duration of the course is three years and that of maximum is five years. The final stage of the course is the submission of ‘thesis’ prepared during the course.
M.Phil Public Administration: M.Phil. in Public Administration is a 2 year Post-Graduate academic research course in the domain of Public administration, eligibility to which is having a master’s degree with minimum 55% marks in related field from any recognized central or state/private/deemed university.
MA Public Administration FAQs
Ques. Is there any MA in Public Administration entrance exams conducted in India?
Ques. What is the educational qualification required for admission to the Masters of Public Administration course?
Ques. Can I pursue an MA in Public Administration while working in a full-time job?
Ques. What jobs can I get with a degree in Masters in Public Administration?
Ques. What is the admission procedure for MA Public Administration?
Ques. What is the scope of MA in Public Administration?
Administrative Services Managers
Public Administration Consultant
Director of Development
Ques. What are some top MA (Public Administration) college in India?
Ques. Can I apply for UGC NET after completing a Masters of Public Administration?