What is MA Tamil?
MA Tamil is a Tamil Literature and Language course that students can pursue if they want to take up post-graduation after completing their graduation.
Know More About Language Courses
Students will have to complete their bachelor’s degree in the relevant field and the duration of the course is two years.
Candidates need to have their graduation completed and then they have to appear for an entrance exam by various colleges in which they have to score the passing marks to take up this course.
Students also have to visit the university to submit the application forms.
Some of the top colleges offering MA Tamil in India are:
|Name of Institute||Location||Average Fees||Average Salary|
|Maharaja's College||Ernakulam||INR 3,000||INR 2-14 LPA|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||INR 3,690||INR 2-10 LPA|
|Mar Ivanios College||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 37,500||INR 3-5 LPA|
|University Of Madras||Chennai||INR 3,578||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 8,980||INR 5-10 LPA|
Candidates can work as Translators in fields of scientific literary, technical or business. They can also opt for freelancing which is turning out to be the new trend in the area of language. Freelancers may as well join research firms and translation bureaus.
See more: Top MA Tamil Colleges in India
What is the MA Tamil Admission Process?
For admission into the masters’ degree, the applicant must have completed graduation in a relevant stream. Here is the basic procedure that students can follow to get an admission in any reputed college.
Step 1: Applications for admissions can be availed either from the University website or by visiting the Admissions Office of the same.
Step 2: Candidates will have to fill out the required details in a match with the existing documents.
Step 3: Candidates are advised to have a look at the list of Entrance Exams applicable for M.A Tamil, for various Universities.
Step 4: Candidates should also make sure they qualify in the Education Eligibility criteria with the minimum required marks.
Step 5: Candidates have to visit the university to pay the admission fees and confirm the seat.
What is the MA Tamil Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility for Master of Arts in Tamil is given below:
- Candidates need to have a Bachelor's degree in any stream with Tamil as one of the subjects of study.
- Candidates need to have graduated with a minimum aggregate of 50% or its equivalent CGPA.
What are the MA Tamil Entrance Exams?
Here are a few entrance exams that students have to appear to get an admission in any reputed colleges:
|Exam Name||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|Maharaja's College Entrance Exam||TBD||Online|
|Aligarh Muslim University Entrance Exam||TBD||Online|
|Madurai Kamaraj University Entrance Exam||TBD||Online|
|University of Madras Entrance Exam||TBD||Online|
How to Prepare for the MA Tamil Entrance Exam?
To prepare for entrance exams, students must go through these steps that are mentioned below:
- Students can go through the previous year’s examination papers to understand the pattern and type of questions that are asked in the exam.
- Students have to study more than three to four years in a day, especially for the entrance exam.
- They must learn and understand the core integral part of the chapter and act accordingly.
- Students can also go through the previous year’s sample papers and current year’s new edition sample papers to understand the type of questions that are asked in the exam.
- They must have to understand the concepts and keep their fundamentals clear to sit in the exam and prepare for it.
How to Get Admission in a Good MA Tamil College?
To get admission in a good college, students must understand and act as per the tips and tricks mentioned below:
- Students have to check their eligibility criteria by visiting the official website of the colleges or universities.
- Once the students are eligible to take admission in the college, they will have to fill the application forms and submit it at the colleges.
- After submitting the application forms, students have to prepare for the entrance exam.
- Some universities will call the students to sit in a personal interview with the university or college management.
- After completing all the steps, if the seats of the students are confirmed, students will have to pay the fees and join the college or university to pursue MA in Tamil.
MA Tamil: What is it About?
M.A. Tamil (or Master of Arts in Tamil) is a postgraduate Tamil Language and Literature course.
- It is the study of language, literature, linguistics, culture, and philosophy of the language.
- This course ensures the candidate receives an in-depth understanding of the origin and history of the language and its enhancement with time.
- It also revolves around the study and interpretation of the language as well as several poems and dramas which were written by renowned Tamil scholars.
- The language courses enable candidates' understanding of language discourse and linguistic concepts to develop a functional grammar standpoint.
- Candidates study ancient Tamil history, its forms, and how styles mingle into each other forming a stylistic range.
- This literature course offers its candidates an insight into an array of literary genres, timelines, and styles.
MA Tamil: Course Highlights
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam|
|Course Fee||INR 2,000 to 5,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Delhi Public School, Sanskaar Valley School, Billabong High, Eastern Public School, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Academic Institutes, Printing Companies, Journals, News Agencies, Photography Companies, TV Channels, Private organization Advertising Agencies, Translation and other language services, Tourism etc.|
Why Study MA Tamil?
India is a country with many cultures with all having their own traditions and customs. More than 50 languages are spoken in this diversified nation.
- Regional language is generally known to, learnt, and used by everyone who lives in that region.
- Knowing regional language helps people to communicate and to keep harmony and in official business affairs.
- It also contributes to preserving traditional local language and the heritage behind it. Not only this, learning regional language is now considered an art as well.
- It widely helps people to earn a living all round the world.
- Candidates who want to become lecturer/professor at colleges/universities levels both in government and private institutes after their Master’s degree also are suitable for it.
- Applicants who want to go for further research work in the very language also are suitable for it. Those who are willing to develop Tamil language and literature also can go for it.
- Aspirants can go for research work in Tamil language. They can also become an exponent of Tamil culture and literature.
Course Comparison: MA Tamil vs MA Malayalam
Here is a course comparison between M.A. Tamil and M.A. Malayalam:
|Parameters||M.A. Tamil||M.A. Malayalam|
|Overview||It is a postgraduate Tamil Language and Literature course.||It is a postgraduate course in Malayalam language and literature.|
|Level of Education||Post-Graduation||Post-Graduation|
|Average Course Fees||INR 2,000 to INR 5,00,000||INR 2,000 to INR 5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 4-10 LPA||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Top Companies||Delhi Public School, Sanskaar Valley School, Billabong High, Eastern Public School, etc.||Teaching, Literature, Translation and other language services, Tourism, Print Media, Advertising Companies or agencies, TV Channels, etc.|
|Top Colleges||Maharaja's College, Mar Ivanios College, Kannur University, Cms College, Ettumanoorappan College Ettumanoor||Maharaja's College, Aligarh Muslim University, Madurai Kamaraj University, University Of Madras, MAR Ivanios College|
Which are the Top MA Tamil Colleges?
Here are some colleges that provide MA Tamil Courses:
|Name of Institute||City||Average Fees||Average Salary Offered|
|Maharaja's College||Ernakulam||INR 3,000||INR 2-14 LPA|
|Aligarh Muslim University||Aligarh||INR 8,980||INR 2-10 LPA|
|Madurai Kamaraj University||Madurai||INR 3,690||INR 3-5 LPA|
|University Of Madras||Chennai||INR 3,578||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Mar Ivanios College||Thiruvananthapuram||INR 37,500||INR 5-10 LPA|
|Kannur University||Kannur||INR 6,900||INR 2-10 LPA|
MA Tamil: College Comparison
Here is a college comparison of the colleges that offers M.A. Tamil course
|Parameters||Maharaja's College||Aligarh Muslim University||Madurai Kamaraj University|
|Overview||Maharaja’s College is a college that was established in 1875. It is located in Kochi.||Aligarh Muslim University is one of the famous universities across the country. Established in the year 1920.||Established in the year 1966, this university has more than 77 departments, 20 schools, 14+ centers, and 98 affiliated colleges.|
|Average Fees||INR 3,920-15,340||INR 17,395-53,680||INR 6,685-1,14,000|
|Average Salary Offered||INR 4-10 LPA||INR 5-10 LPA||INR 4-10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||CISCO, Amazon, Microsoft, Capgemini, Wipro||Genpact, HCL Technologies, Infosys, Adobe, Google||IBM, SRF Ltd., Wipro, Virtusa, Reliance, SNL Financial|
What is the MA Tamil Syllabus?
This course has many subjects which are studied according to the MA Tamil syllabus, some of which are mentioned below:
- Sanga Ilakkiam
- Idaikkala Ilakkiam
- Ilakkia Kolgaigal
Here is the syllabus for M.A. Tamil that students must know:
|Year I||Year II|
|Ikkala Ilakkiam||Sanga Ilakkiam|
|Tholkappiam – Porulathikaram||Tholkappiam – Ezhuthu Athikaram|
|Ilakkia Kolgaigal||Tholkappiam – Chollathikaram|
|Elective – Oppilakkiam||Elective – Thiruvalluvar|
Which are MA Tamil Important Books?
|Ikkaala Ilakkiyam||Swamy Publications' Editorial Board|
|Anna Sila Ninaivugal||R.Muthukumar|
|Vaaname Yellai||Captain Gopinath|
What are the MA Tamil Job Profiles?
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Pay|
|Teacher||Teachers make lesson plans and teach the whole class, individually to understudies or in small groups, monitor the advance of understudies and present the data to guardians, conduct exams, etc.||INR 3,01,462|
|Professor||Professor Teaching in their branch of expertise. Work with undergraduates who are looking for a degree or an endorsement or accreditation or are taking courses to develop their understanding or vocational skills.||INR 9,13,657|
|Content Editor||To provide some examples, Content Editors are responsible for all parts of the substance, including enhancement, outline, development, presentation, evaluation and investigation.||INR 3,72,593|
|Economist||Economists usually do the following: research and analyze monetary problems. Directing analysis and collecting knowledge. Examine knowledge using mathematical methods and computational models.||INR 6,87,845|
|Political scientist||The beginning, origin, creation, cause, enhancement, and activity of political systems are considered by political researchers. Political concepts are examined and states, courses of action, approaches, political examples and related issues are inspected.||INR 3,20,333|
What is the MA Tamil Future Scope?
Candidates who further want to do research work in the language of Tamil would achieve a great deal of benefit from this course.
- After having passed Masters of Arts in Tamil postgraduate course, candidates can very well become teachers in schools and some junior colleges clearing NET qualification and also become a perpetual lecturer in colleges and universities anywhere across the country.
- There are several government jobs in top colleges and universities and in their administrative and official departments where candidates can find suitable jobs. Candidates can opt for research work in Tamil language.
- Candidates can also become proponents of Tamil culture and literature. The Masters of Arts in Tamil postgraduate degree is also credited in so many foreign countries like Sri Lanka, Malaysia and Singapore and south Asian and central Asian countries.
MA Tamil: FAQs
Ques. What does this degree program cater to?
Ques. Where students can find jobs if they pursue this course?
Ques. Can students get into the Research and Development sector if they are pursuing this course?
Ques. What can you do after graduating in this course?
Ques. Is this course credited across the world?
Ques. What you need to do after passing graduation?
Ques. Name a few job roles that you can apply for?
Ques. What is the eligibility criteria to join this course?