MA Admission 2021 will be done through an entrance exam in almost all the top colleges MA Admission form is usually released in the month of May and June for several universities.
An applicant must have a minimum of 50% aggregate in bachelor’s degree from a recognized university. There is a 5% relaxation provided to reserved category candidates.
Top Entrance Exams for MA Admission includes DUET, IPU CET etc
Few colleges grant direct admission based on graduation marks to this course. For Direct admissions, universities released their cut-off for master courses and the candidates who are eligible for that can directly apply for the course.
Subjects taught in MA Course are different for every specialization. Some of the specializations are English, Hindi, History, Sociology, Education, Fine arts, gender studies, and more.
Top MA Colleges: Application Deadline
|College||Admission Criteria||Application Deadline|
|Miranda House, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July, 2021 (Tentative)|
|Lady Shri Ram College For Women, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Hindu College, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|St. Stephens College, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Madras Chrstian College, Chennai||Merit||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Hansraj College, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Loyola College, Chennai||Merit + Interview||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Christ University, Bengaluru||Entrance Exam||December 08, 2020 - June 09, 2021|
|Gargi College, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
|Ramjas College, New Delhi||Merit/ DUET||July 2021 (Tentative)|
MA Admission 2021 Important Dates
These are a few of the colleges providing Masters with different specializations. Besides these, there are many other colleges as well where admission is based on both entrances and merit.
|College||Entrance Exam||Registration Date (Tentative)|
|St. Stephen’s College||DUET + Merit list||July 2021|
|TISS||TISSNET + Merit List||January 25, 2021 (Closed)|
|Hindu College||DUET + Merit list||July 2021|
|Central University of Punjab||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
|Miranda House||DUET + Merit list||July 2021|
|Central University of Haryana||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
|Kirori Mal College||DUET + Merit list||July 2021|
|Central University of Jammu||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
|Madras Christian College||Merit-based||June 2021|
|Central University of Kerala||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
|Loyola College||Entrance +Interview conducted by the college||July 2021|
|Central University of Rajasthan||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
|Gargi College||DUET + Merit list||July 2021|
|Central University of South Bihar||CUCET + Merit List||April 2021|
MA Entrance Exams
There are many entrance exams that students need to clear before getting admission into an MA course. Such exams can be at the national level, state level, or university level.
After the examinations, a merit list is generated and candidates who fulfill all the required admission criteria of the college are generally offered final admission into the course.
Entrance Exam Schedule
|Entrance exam||Registration Date||Exam date|
|TISSNET (Tata Institute of Social Sciences)||Closed||20 February 2021|
|AUAT (Allah University Admission Test)||May- June 2021||October 2021|
|DUET||April - May 2021||June 2021|
|IPU CET (Indraprastha University Common Entrance Test)||March-May, 2021||June 2021|
|PUCET (Punjab University Common Entrance Test)||March - June 2021||June 2021|
|JNUEE (Jawaharlal Nehru University Entrance Exam)||May - June 2021||July 2021|
Entrance Exam Syllabus
|MA English||British Literature|
|MA Hindi||History of Hindi Literature- Ancient and Medieval|
|Hindi Poetry and Proses|
|Origin of Hindi Language|
|MA in History||Indian Independences|
|Medieval and Modern History|
|MA in Sociology||Sociological Theories|
|Methods of Sociological Research|
|Gender and Society|
|MA in Education||Educational Psychology|
|MA in Gender Studies||Introduction to Gender Studies|
|Gender, Environment, and Livelihood|
Entrance Exam Prerequisites
Before appearing for any MA entrance exams, you should follow a set of prerequisites discussed below:
- Prepare a list of MA colleges you want to apply for, and the entrance exams they accept.
- The top MA entrance exams include: AUAT, JNUEE, CUCET etc
- Check the eligibility and admission criteria for all of these MBA entrance exams.
MA Admission Process
Colleges depend on two kinds of MA admission process to take in students. These processes are admission through Entrance Examination and admission through Direct Admission:
- Entrance Examination: Entrance Examinations are conducted by respective colleges like Delhi University, IP University, JNU to take in students according to the performance on these Entrance Exams.
- Direct Admission: Colleges like Amity University take in students through the Direct Admission mode, where the students are judged based on their marks obtained during the final Bachelor Examination. The students have to give a Personal Interview where the college understands the student’s dreams and interests.
Candidates aspiring to pursue admission in an MA course are required to fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates should have successfully completed their Bachelor's degree (preferably Bachelor of Arts) of a minimum 3 or 4 years duration (10+2+3 or 10+2+4). The Bachelor's degree should be from a university that is recognized by the UGC (University Grants Commission) of India.
- A minimum of 50% or its equivalent must be secured by the students at the graduation level. The cutoff varies from college to college. It could be 55% or 60% as well.
- There’s a 5% relaxation for candidates belonging to SC/ST/OBCs and differently-abled categories.
- Students who are in their final year of their Bachelor's degree are also eligible to apply.
How to Apply?
Candidates should follow the points mentioned below to know the MA application process.
- For every entrance exam, the application process starts with the Registration part of the exam.
- The registration asks for few academic and personal details like Contact No and a valid email id for further contact.
- After registration, the candidate will get a Username and Password that will help them to log in to their individual portal.
- This completes the application procedure and later the admit card is received through the portal before the exam date.
WAT- PI/ GD
GD (Group Discussion) PI (Personal Interview) are the two final list of rounds that candidates have to go through for the final round of selection, where they are asked questions about their goals, ambitions and reason of interest in the chosen course
Once you are shortlisted, you are thereafter expected to go through the counselling process, which is nothing but submitting all the necessary documents such as ID proof, Photograph, Exam certificates, few declarations etc required for the MA admission process.
Top MA Colleges
|Hindu College||INR 32,000|
|St. Stephen’s College||INR 25,000|
|Miranda House||INR 30,000|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||INR 17,976|
|Madras Christian College||INR 55,000|
|Hansraj College||INR 26,000|
|Loyola College||INR 12,000|
|Christ University||INR 1,25,000|
|Gargi College||INR 18,000|
|Ramjas College||INR 14,284|
MA Admission 2021 Tips
- The admission to master courses is mainly done through the entrance exams which consist of some general parts and some specific parts based on subjects done in graduation.
- For successfully passing the entrance, candidates first need to have a complete knowledge related to their subjects studied in graduation because it consists of a major part.
- Next, there are some basic portions which consist of Quantitative Aptitude for that one needs a clear basic and practice of mathematics till class 10th and English Comprehension, which is added to check the individual’s knowledge of English.
- For English Comprehension, candidates need to have a continued practice of some passages, articles, grammar applications, etc.
- And lastly some portion of general awareness and current affairs. To clear this portion, candidates need to have a regular check on their surrounding activities and ongoing activities in news.
- Through these few points, one can qualify for the exam.
MA Admission 2021 FAQs
Ques: What is the scope after MA?
Ans: After completing MA, students can either work or can go for further higher studies like for PhD which is research-oriented, or can also opt for another masters degree according to their need and interest.
Ques: What is the minimum percentage required for Masters?
Ans: Minimum percentage requirement for Master is around 50% in aggregate in graduation from a recognized University.
Ques: Can MA Students get a placement facility?
Ans: Yes, some of the colleges conduct placement procedures for MA students like for MA education there were placements in different education institutions through the college administration.
Ques: What is the salary package after MA?
Ans: Some of the Job profiles like Social Worker (INR 2.50 Lakhs – INR 5 Lakhs), Journalist ( INR 3.7 Lakhs – INR 6.97 Lakhs), Administrative Officer (INR 4.12 Lakhs- INR 9.45 Lakhs). Similarly, other job profiles have different ranges of salary packages.
Ques: Is there any University that provides Masters through Distance?
Ans: Yes, there are Universities like IGNOU, Annamalai University, Karnataka State Open University, Osmania University, and the University of Mumbai that provide Masters through Distance Mode.
Ques: Is there any University that provides Masters through Merit?
Ans: Yes, there are some Universities like Madras Christian College, Christ University which provide admission on a merit basis.
Ques: Name some specializations in Arts?
Ans: Some arts specializations are:
- MA Hindi
- MA English
- MA Education
- MA Psychology
- MA Political Science
And many other subjects as well.
Ques: What are job profiles available after Masters in Arts?
Ans: After completing the Masters in Arts, one can work as an Administrative Officer, Correspondent, Social Worker, Journalist, Content Writer, Political Analyst, Public Administrative, Teacher, Professor, etc.
Ques: What is the procedure to get the JET Admit Card?
Ans: After the registration process of the examination, the admit card will be available at the online portal which is provided to the candidate. The candidate can simply log in to the portal and download the admit card and take a print.
Ques: What is UPES DAT?
Ans: Design Aptitude Test (DAT) is conducted by the University of Petroleum and Energy Studies through online mode for UG and PG courses.