What is MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management?
MBA with specialisation in Hospital and Healthcare Management is a postgraduate course, offered in various public and private institutes in India. This course aims at understanding the issues faced by health care systems, and the skills required for the perfect functioning of the healthcare sector.
Principal subjects included in this course are Principles of Health Service Management, Organization Behavior, Materials and Equipment Management, Health Economics, and Strategic Human Resource Management.
Candidates who wish to pursue this course must hold a bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized college or university with a minimum aggregate score of 50%. Good communication skills and an attractive personality are the key attributes of the course.
Most of the colleges offer admission to this course based on the candidate's performance in entrance exams like CATe/ MAT etc. However, there are some colleges which offer admission based on the student’s performance in the Bachelor’s degree exams.
Some of the top MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Colleges in India are given below.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of College/ University||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Telangana||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 1,07,180|
|51||SRIHER, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 2,00,000|
|65||IIHMR University, Jaipur||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 5,80,000|
|73||SIU, Pune||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 4,44,000|
|75||DPU, Pune||CAT/ MAT followed by PI||INR 2,10,000|
The average MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management fees charged by colleges or universities in India lies anywhere in between INR 30,000 and 4,00,000 per year. The fee varies as per the type of the institution.
Fresh graduates of the course can easily expect an average salary of INR 5,00,000 - 8,00,000 per annum. The salary is proportional to the experience earned in the field. The salary offered increases with an increase in experience in the respective field.
Candidates with this qualification will be able to find jobs such as Healthcare Manager, Hospital Administrator, Chief Operations Officer, Healthcare Advisor, and Compliance Officer etc.
This program offers diverse career opportunities. Apart from seeking jobs, students can also choose to pursue higher education in their respective field. They can opt for higher degrees like PhD Health Science, PhD Hospital Administration etc.
What is the MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Admission Process?
Admission to the course is done based on the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam.
- Some of the major all India entrance exams conducted for this purpose are CAT, MAT, XAT, CMAT etc.
- Some colleges also offer admission on merit basis. Usually, the admission process commences from the month of August and September.
- Online forms for almost every entrance exam are available by the end of August.
- Submit the application to the colleges or universities you are interested in for admission.
- Perform well in the undergraduate examinations as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire admission process.
- In due course of time colleges release their cutoff lists. Check if you are eligible for admission into the desired course.
- If eligible, visit the college and submit all the required documents.
Entrance based admission
- Submit the application to the colleges or universities you are interested in for admission.
- Register for the entrance exams you will be required to qualify in order to make it the college of your choice.
- In order to get shortlisted for further rounds of admission, one must score above the minimum qualifying percentile set by the respective college or university.
- After the written test, special group discussion and personal interview rounds are conducted for preparing the final merit list of shortlisted candidates.
- Once all the tests are conducted, the colleges or universities declare the result and release a merit list of finally shortlisted candidates on the basis of the written test, group discussion and personal interview.
- After the admission process, the final allotment of seats to the candidates take place and the candidate is required to deposit the course fee and register for the respective academic year.
What is the MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Eligibility Criteria?
The eligibility criteria for MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from institute to institute.
- Candidates must hold a Bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline from a recognized university.
- Students must have passed the Undergraduate with a min of 50% aggregate (45% for SC/ST candidates)
- Depending on the Institute; the candidate may be required to have a valid score in any management entrance exam such as CAT/CMAT/MAT/XAT/GMAT.
Which are the popular MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Entrance Exams?
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for the admission into the MBA HHM course.
Some of the top entrance exams conducted in order to shortlist students for admission into this course are given below.
- CAT: CAT or Common Admission Test is an online test conducted every year by IIMs in order to shortlist students for providing admission into various management degree and diploma programs. The test score is widely accepted by many top colleges across the country. The exam is conducted annually.
- MAT: MAT or Management Aptitude Test is a national level exam conducted four times in a year. All India Management Association (AIMA) conducts the exam for admission into MBA/PGDM courses across the country.
- CMAT: CMAT or Common Management Admission Test is an online computer-based test. It is conducted by the National Testing Agency, India. The test is conducted to shortlist students for admission into AICTE approved postgraduate management programs.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned examinations are mentioned in the table below.
|Entrance Exam||Entrance Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|CAT 2020||Online||August 5 - September 16, 2020||November 29, 2020|
|MAT 2020||Remote Proctored IBT||March 6- August 24, 2020||August 27 - September 2, 2020|
|CMAT 2021||Online||December 23, 2020 - January 22, 2021||February 22/27, 2021|
|XAT 2021||Online||September 12, 2020- December 10, 2020||January 03, 2021|
How to prepare for MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management entrance examinations?
Scoring well in an entrance exam is not a difficult task if one is well aware of the latest exam pattern. Hence, one should go through the previous year papers and perform a proper analysis of the exam pattern. Apart from this, one should do thorough research about the full syllabus of the entrance exam. Mainly there are four sections in almost all the MBA entrance exams.
- Reading Comprehension and Verbal Ability
- Quantitative ability
- Data interpretation and logical reasoning
- General knowledge and current affairs
One can follow the tips given below in order to excel in any MBA entrance exam:
- Generally, multiple-choice based questions are asked in the exam. In most of the exams, negative marks are offered for every wrong answer. So, make sure you attempt only those questions which you are sure of.
- Verbal ability and reading comprehension section generally include Reading Comprehension, Verbal Ability, Para Jumbles, Summarizing etc. The best way to get acquainted with the language is to do as much reading as possible.
- The QA section comprises questions of 10th level Mathematics. The questions are usually tricky and require a different approach to solving them. Hence one must be very clear with the basics.
- DI & LR section is generally tricky and difficult. One can start preparing for this section by trying to solve simple puzzles. Try to solve questions correctly and quickly.
- Some entrance exams also have general knowledge and current affair questions. The types of questions asked under this section are about national and international affairs, businesses, taglines of companies, top officials of big companies, international organizations, social issues etc.
- One must read newspapers and news articles daily to stay updated on the current affairs.
- Once done with the syllabus, one must start taking mock tests. This helps one to get a taste of the type of questions which are usually asked in the exam. Taking around 20 to 25 mocks can help you in performing really well in the entrance exam.
- One can even rely on a suitable coaching institute for preparation if one feels the need for it.
How to get admission in a good MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management College?
To secure admission into a top-ranked MBA institute, a number of factors come into play. Some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- The admission process to the course is either entrance based or merit-based.
- In the case of merit-based selection, one must perform well in the qualifying examinations.
- In the case of entrance based selection, it is very important to perform well and score a good percentile in the entrance exam in order to get admission in a good college.
- One must be well aware of the latest exam pattern. One must also know the weightage assigned to each section in the exam and prepare accordingly.
- One must start preparing for the entrance exam a year before as this gives ample time for learning and revision.
- Keep your target institute in mind and work hard to get admission in the same.
- The group discussions and personal interviews that follow the entrance exam, determine the candidate’s interpersonal skills and communication skills. So, they must be confident in their abilities while going through these rounds.
- Some institutes prefer candidates with some level of work-experience.
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management: What is it about?
The MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management course covers a variety of topics in the fields of Management related to the Healthcare Industry. The main details of this course are given below:
- This is a postgraduate specialisation course in MBA, which helps students in understanding tactics in marketing, finance, human resources, and operations required in the healthcare sector.
- The course also focuses on the legal and statutory regulations to be followed, and the various issues affecting the healthcare organisations.
- Special focus is given towards Disaster Management, Organization and Administration of Clinical and Super Specialty Services, Quality Assurance for Hospitals, Consumer Behavior, and Research Methodology.
- The MBA HHM Syllabus includes classroom learning and practical exercises such as workshops, case studies, seminars, and internships offered by the institutions themselves as well as many reputed hospitals and healthcare centers.
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Course Highlights
|Full Form||Master of Business Administration in Hospital and Healthcare Management|
|Eligibility||Bachelor's degree in any discipline with a minimum of 50% score from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit/ Entrance-Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 30,000 to 4,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 to 8,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Cipla, Apollo Life, Cadila HealthCare, Wipro GE HealthCare|
|Job Position||Healthcare Manager, Hospital Administrator, Chief Operations Officer, Healthcare Advisor, and Compliance Officer, Program Planning Advisor|
Why Study MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management?
There are many benefits to choosing the MBA HHM course for Post Graduation. The main advantages provided by this course are detailed below:
- The course helps develop skills like critical analysis and interpretation of data, problem-solving and making rational business decisions, computation, communication, managerial and leadership skills.
- The curriculum is shaped in such a way that graduates are transformed into professionals that can carry out the duties in health authority organisations, primary care trusts, and hospital administrations.
- With a broader objective to propagate world peace and improving health globally, hospital and healthcare management supervisors look into measures to make operations and procedures carried out in these organisations to be efficient and cost-effective, and ensure that patients get the best type of empathy, care, and facilities for treatment.
- Along with the understanding of the functioning of multi-dimensional healthcare organisations, and the bridge between business and healthcare management, graduates may also acquire a deep insight into the various challenges faced by the marketing and organisation facets of the industry.
- The practical aspect of the course includes the exposure to the latest technologies in medical science, research-based innovations in the assortment of resources, application of managerial techniques to arrive at optimal solutions, and a detailed investigation of political, cultural, and ethical concerns regarding healthcare.
- Healthcare facilities are busy networks and so, healthcare administrations have hectic schedules, requiring good leadership, control, and supervision skills to run administrative procedures smoothly, making this course a perfect way to pave the right path to build careers in healthcare finance, administration, marketing, and policy and information management.
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management vs Postgraduate Diploma in Hospital and Health Management
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management and PGD in Hospital and Health Management are two different management courses. Some of the key differences between these two specializations are given below.
|Parameters||MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management||PGD Hospital and Health Management|
|Qualification||Master of Business Administration in Hospital and Healthcare Management||Post Graduate Diploma in Hospital and Health Management|
|Duration||2 years||1 year|
|Eligibility||A bachelor's degree in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks or an equivalent CGPA||A bachelor's degree in any discipline with a minimum of 50% marks or an equivalent CGPA|
|Course Objective||Prepares students with requisite knowledge and skills to maintain hospitals and healthcare organisations.||Prepares students with a management-oriented perspective of the medical and healthcare sectors.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 30,000 to 4,00,000||INR 25,000 to 15,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 to 8,00,000||INR 4,00,000 to 10,00,000|
|Job Positions||Health Care Manager, Hospital Administrator, Pharmaceutical Project Manager, Health Care Finance Manager etc.||Hospital Quality Assurance Executive, Healthcare Management Executive, Health Administrator, Internal Corporate Analyst etc.|
Source: College Websites
Also check top PGD in Hospital and Health Management Colleges in India here.
Which are the Top MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Colleges?
MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management courses are offered by many top colleges and universities across the country. Some of the top colleges offering this course have been mentioned below with several other details.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of College/ University||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|15||University of Hyderabad, Telangana||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 1,07,180||INR 6,00,000|
|51||SRIHER, Chennai||Entrance-Based||INR 2,00,000||INR 8,00,000|
|65||IIHMR University, Jaipur||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 5,80,000||INR 6,83,000|
|73||SIU, Pune||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 4,44,000||INR 5,29,000|
|75||DPU, Pune||CAT/ MAT followed by PI||INR 2,10,000||INR 5,79,000|
|101||Dy Patil University, Navi Mumbai||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 4,20,000||INR 7,00,000|
|107||HITS, Chennai||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 2,53,000||INR 7,58,000|
|151||MITWPU, Pune||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 3,75,000||INR 5,00,000|
|151||Galgotias University, Greater Noida||CAT/ MAT/ XAT followed by PI||INR 1,59,000||INR 8,49,000|
Source: College Websites
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management College Comparison
The tabulation below depicts the comparison made among the three top MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management colleges in India.
|Parameters||University of Hyderabad, Telangana||SRIHER, Chennai||IIHMR University, Jaipur|
|Overview||The University of Hyderabad provides postgraduate and doctorate level courses across different streams of engineering, management, science and technology etc.||This deemed university offers more than 50 UG and PG programs in the discipline of Physiotherapy, Allied Health Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Management, etc.||Instituted in 1984, the university focuses on the research, teaching, institutional networking, and training in the fields of public health, rural development, hospital administration, and pharmaceutical management, to fulfil the aim of improving the standards of the health system.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||15||51||65|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,07,180||INR 2,00,000||INR 5,80,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 6,00,000||INR 8,00,000||INR 6,83,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., IBM, Lupin Ltd., Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., Abbott India Pvt. Ltd.||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., IBM, Lupin Ltd., Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., Abbott India Pvt. Ltd.||Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Ltd., IBM, Lupin Ltd., Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd., Abbott India Pvt. Ltd.|
Source: College Websites
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Distance Learning
MBA HHM can also be pursued in the distance mode by those candidates that desire it. This option can be particularly beneficial to candidates who wish to pursue an education while currently employed in a separate profession. The details of the Institutes offering this course in the Distance Mode is expanded below:
|Institute Name||Course Fee||Duration||Admission Criteria|
|Suresh Gyan Vihar University, Rajasthan||INR 97,367||2-4 years||Pass Graduation with min 50% + Min 2 years Work Experience|
What is the Syllabus of MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management?
MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management is a 2-year degree program. Each year consists of 2 semesters. The course curriculum incorporates various assignments, quizzes, and presentations. In some colleges, it is mandatory for students to take up any related internship while pursuing the course.
The table given below shows the semester-wise breakup of the subjects one is required to study under the curriculum of this course.
|Principles of Health Service Management||Organization & Administration of Supportive Services|
|Marketing Management of Hospital Services||Cost and Management Accounting|
|Organization Behavior||Disaster Management / Infection Control|
|Operations Research||Research Methodology|
|Organization and Administration of Clinical and Super Specialty Services||Delivery Logistics and Supply Chain Management|
|Hospital Management Information Systems (HMIS)||Health Policy and Healthcare Services|
|Healthcare Marketing Management||Materials and Equipment Management|
|Strategic Management||Marketing Management|
|Quality Assurance for Healthcare/ Hospital||Health Insurance and Managed Care|
|Health Economics||Human Biology|
|Legal Framework in Healthcare Microeconomics||Taxation and Audit|
|NGO Management||Human Resource Management and Labor Legislation|
|Comparative Health Systems & International Health||Introduction to Epidemiology & Biostatistics|
|Financial Accounting||Marketing Research|
|Accounting & Financial Statement Analysis||Strategic Human Resource Management|
What are Job Prospects and Career Options after MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management?
- A candidate with an MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management degree can work in sectors like Hospitals, Clinics, Pharmaceuticals, Healthcare Consulting firms, IT, Laboratories, Biotechnology Health Service, Government Health Agencies, Health Maintenance Organisations, Equipment Manufacturing Industry, Insurance Organisations etc.
- Over the past years, this program has become immensely popular among students. More and more students are pursuing this course. The course offers diverse career opportunities. This further affirms the immense popularity of the course among students.
- Major job profiles available to such graduates are Hospital Administrator, Healthcare Manager, Chief Executive Officer, Chief Nursing Officer, Chief Financial Officer, Compliance Officer etc.
- Government jobs such as Lecturer / Professor and working in the healthcare industry can be taken up.
Some of the major MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management job profiles along with respective salary packages are mentioned below:
|Job Position||Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Chief Nursing Officer||Oversees and coordinates an organisation’s nursing department, including its operations and, fulfil the values and vision of the organisation through the nursing staff.||INR 7,50,000|
|Health Project Manager||Plans, promotes, and developed health projects, in terms of budget, staffing, consulting/guidance, and reporting.||INR 8,60,000|
|Health Advisor||Offers assistance and advice regarding health and the measures to improve health activities, in public, non-profit, and private health agencies.||INR 7,45,420|
|Hospital Quality Assurance Executive||Monitors and updates policies and regulations undertaken by the hospital, ensure that patients receive the best care, and implement programs for the same.||INR 6,69,530|
|Healthcare Management Professor||Gives an understanding of healthcare organisations, the various operations involved in its management, and the skills required for their functioning.||INR 7,19,210|
Source: College Websites
What are the Future Scopes of MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management?
Apart from seeking jobs, another option for students is to pursue higher education. MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management Scope available to students are given below:
- PhD: If one wishes to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a PhD or MPhil in the related discipline. It is a three-year course and the eligibility criteria include having a Master’s degree in relevant discipline. Students can pursue PhD in any of the related fields.
- Students can also participate in the Fellow Programme in Management (equivalent to PhD) conducted by all the IIMs on completion of this course.
- Competitive examinations: Another route that postgraduates can opt to go for is to prepare for competitive examinations. Examinations that are meant for job opportunities in Government sector organizations are most popular. Students will be able to get to the highest paid jobs in this sector.
MBA Hospital and Healthcare Management FAQs
Ques. Is an MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management better than an MBA?
Ans. Considering the repute, cost and salary prospects, MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management is in a much higher position than Master's in Management.
Ques. What is the difference between MBA in Hospital and Healthcare Management and Master’s in Public Health (MPH)?
Ans. MBA HHM trains students on the proper functioning of management of hospitals and healthcare centers, while MPH concentrates on investigating patterns of diseases in a community or a certain population, and to implement community health programs.
Ques. What is the average salary gained by an MBA HHM graduate in India?
Ans. An average salary of around INR 4,00,000 to 9,00,000 per annum can be expected, though candidates may also get jobs in executive positions making the salary prospects higher.
Ques. What is the best age to do an MBA?
Ans. Applicants are preferred to be around 26-30 years of age, when their careers can reach the peak.
Ques. Why is an MBA in HHM expensive?
Ans. In order to produce competent business professionals, a wide variety of teaching methods and activities have to be carried out, and the cost for all of these result in higher fees.
Ques. Is MBA better than CA?
Ans. Considering the difficulty of the course, chances of job procurement and affordability, MBA is a better choice. But CA is much more reputed.
Ques. Is MBA HHM worth doing?
Ans. Considering the increasing demands for management professionals in healthcare centres, and depending on the competency of candidates, one may acquire upto C-suite roles in these establishments, making the course a worthwhile degree.