What is MBA Marketing Management?
MBA Marketing Management is one of the oldest MBA courses and one of the most popular disciplines among students. This 2 year long course is divided into four semesters. The major subjects of MBA Marketing Management includes consumer behaviour, advertising management, business marketing, digital marketing, service marketing, etc.
Go through the full list of MBA Marketing Management Colleges in India.
Candidates must have completed graduation in any stream with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks to be eligible for MBA Marketing Management. Some prestigious institutions demand an undergraduate course for a minimum of 4 years duration or a certain minimum work experience of the candidates.
The admission to MBA Marketing Management course is granted on the basis of entrance exam scores. Most colleges also call the shortlisted candidates for a Written Test and Personal Interview after entrance exams.
The average annual fees for MBA in Marketing Management ranges INR 3,00,000 - 10,00,000 per annum depending on the university or the college you select. The top colleges and universities offering MBA Marketing Management are listed below.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Salary|
|5||Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur.||CMAT followed by WAT and PI scores.||INR 5,00,000||INR 17,50,000|
|7||Indian Institute of Management, Indore.||Through CAT||INR 7,50,000||INR 30,00,000|
|12||Department of Management Studies, IIT Roorkee.||CAT/CMAT followed by Group Discussion and Personal Interview.||INR 4,10,000||INR 12,00,000|
|15||Indian Institute of Management, Tiruchirappalli.||CAT followed by Written Analysis Test with a personal Interview.||INR 5,50,000||INR 23,15,000|
|17||Indian Institute of Management, Udaipur.||CAT followed by Personal Interview.||INR 4,20,000||INR 33,00,000|
MBA Marketing Management mainly focuses on applying principles of management and business principles to promote and sell products or services which in brief speaks about advertising, market research and planning. The instructors prefer innovative modes of education like group discussions, projects, presentations, case studies, video conferences, etc.
The various job roles for MBA Marketing Management candidates includes Marketing Executive, Sales Manager, Marketing Manager, Research Analyst, Public Relations Director, etc. The multinational companies which hire MBA in Marketing graduates include International Business Machines, Cognizant Technology Services, Accenture, etc.
The average annual salary for MBA Marketing Management candidates is in between INR 5,00,000 to INR 20,00,000, depending on the skills of the candidates.
Some universities like Christ University- Bangalore, Doon Business School- Dehradun, IIT- Kanpur offer dual degrees like MBA with MS Business, BBA and MBA integrated, B.Tech and MBA courses.
After completing MBA Marketing Management, a candidate can also go for higher studies like PhD in Marketing.
What is the Admission Process for MBA Marketing Management?
The admission process always depends on the university or college one chooses to pursue, but in general the admission process is broken down in three to four parts. The admission procedure for MBA Marketing Management is as follows:
- Step 1: After confirming the eligibility, submit the application and pay the fees either online or offline within the last date for submission.
- Step 2: Marks scored in the relevant management entrance test like Common Aptitude Test (CAT), Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT), Graduate Record Examinations (GRE) will be taken into account for the selection process.
- Step 3: After the entrance exam results, cutoffs will be declared by the colleges on their official websites. The cut-off required for selection varies according to the universities and the category you belong to.
- Step 4: Students who have successfully achieved the required entrance exam cut-off will be called for a Personal Interview. Some institutes may conduct a group discussion or even a Written Analysis Test before conducting a personal interview.
- Step 5: Overall ratings would be given and the candidate will be either selected or rejected with the cumulative scores.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for MBA Marketing Management?
Though the eligibility criteria varies from college to college, the minimum eligibility criteria set by most of the colleges for MBA Marketing Management is discussed below.
- Candidates aspiring to seek an admission in MBA Marketing Management must have completed graduation in any stream with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks.
- Some prestigious institutions demand an undergraduate course for a minimum of 4 years duration or even a masters degree in science or commerce stream.
- They must also appear in relevant management entrance examinations like CAT(Common Aptitude Test), GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test), GRE(Graduate Record Examinations), CMAT (Combined Management Admission Test) or similar examinations.
- Executive MBA (EMBA) which is basically for professionals would require a work experience which may range between 3 to 5 years depending upon the universities or institution you prefer to join.
Check the eligibility criteria for CAT exam.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for MBA Marketing Management?
Most prestigious institutions admit students on the basis of entrance exams. Here are some most common and most popular entrance exams in order to get admission in MBA Marketing Management for Indian Universities and Institutions:
- CAT - Common Aptitude Test is conducted by the IIM Council for admission to PGPM courses in all the IIM's of India. The CBT exam which takes place in more than 350 centres across the nation.
- GMAT - Graduate Management Admission Test is an online test conducted by GMAC for admission to MBA courses all around the world. It's score is valid in many nations 9f the world including India.
- CMAT - Combined Management Admission Test is conducted by NTA. It is mainly followed by the AICTE approved colleges including IIT, NIT, etc. for admission to management courses.
- MAT - Management Aptitude Test is conducted by AIMA for admission to various management colleges in India.
- XAT - Xavier Aptitude Test is conducted by XLRI Jamshedpur for admission to its own MBA courses along with admission to all the other management colleges in its bracket.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam mode|
|CAT||IIM Council||August 5 - September 16, 2020.||November 29, 2020.||CBT|
|CMAT||NTA||December 23, 2020- January 22, 2021||February 22/27, 2021||CBT|
|MAT||AIMA||Until August 23, 2020.||August 27 to September 2, 2020.||Online in 7 phases.|
|XAT||XLRI||September 12, 2020- December 10, 2020||January 03, 2021.||Online|
|ATMA||AIMS||December 21, 2020- February 8, 2021||February 14, 2021||Online|
In case you want to know more, you can visit MBA entrance exams page for every piece of information such as important dates, exam centres, exam duration, etc of all the important MBA Entrance Exams.
How to Prepare for MBA Marketing Management Entrance Exams?
Most of the management entrance exams test candidate’s quantitative aptitude, written ability skills, verbal ability and logical reasoning skills. It is advisable to be strong in all the above mentioned fields in order to secure good scores in the entrance exams. Some of the vital details regarding GMAT and CAT are given in the table below.
|Number of Questions||80||100|
|Exam Frequency||Throughout the year||Once in a year|
|Duration||3 hours 30 minutes||3 hours|
|Exam Pattern||Analytical Writing, Integrated Reasoning, Quantitative Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning.||Three sections- Verbal Ability, Quantitative Aptitude and Data Interpretation & Logical Reasoning.|
|Score Validity||Valid for 5 years||One year|
The most important points to be remembered while taking these exams or preparation tips are as follows:
- The students must prepare well for the Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning Section of these exams. Most of the time this section proves to be the toughest.
- Break down the preparation either into section wise or topic wise.
- Take regular mock tests, at least once in a week and have a personal tutor to help in your preparation.
- Practice to solve the mathematical questions within a stipulated time period. This will help you to manage time effectively.
- For improving your writing and comprehension skills, read newspapers daily and try to write something on a regular basis, eg: Diary.
How to Get Admission in Good MBA Marketing Management Colleges?
- To get admission in top MBA Marketing Management colleges, you will have to score very high in Entrance Exams.
- The overall marks required for SC or ST category is 50 percentile whereas it is more than 90 percentile for General category.
- The cutoffs of most of the topmost colleges like IIMs, IITs, etc lie in the range of 95 to 98 percentile.
- The candidates should have a track on important dates like the last date to submit an application and the date of examination.
- Fix a goal to achieve a particular score in the exam you attend.
- Keep updated with the exam centre.
- Never forget to take the admit card in case of computer based examinations in a particular venue.
- There are some restrictions like one shouldn’t carry a calculator, or mobile phones. Please check the do’s and don'ts before attending the exam.
Check the cutoff marks of CMAT exam.
MBA Marketing Management: What is it About?
- MBA Marketing Management is a postgraduate course which is for the duration of 2 years.
- Marketing is the heart of any organisation and its trend has changed and augmented with the technological evolution
- MBA Marketing Management mainly focuses in the domain of marketing, sales, executive and leadership skills, product management, etc.
- The MBA Marketing Management subjects included Managerial Economics, Financial Management, Consumer Behaviour, Advertising Management, E-commerce, International Business, Total Quality Management, etc.
- Apart from the above mentioned subjects, Communication Skill, Analytical Skill, Integrating Skills and Leadership Skills are the skills taught in MBA Marketing Management course.
- Students also have to undergo projects and internships during the period of study for effective completion of the course.
- After completing an MBA Marketing Management, one is able to identify the market choice through analysis of demand, competition, Economics, etc.
MBA Marketing Management Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Master of Business Administration in Marketing Management|
|Examination type||Semester Based|
|Eligibility||Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with a minimum of 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams followed by Group Discussions, Written Analysis Test and Personal Interview.|
|Course Fee||INR 3,00,000 - 10,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||IBM, Tata Consultancy Services, Cognizant Technology Solutions, Microsoft, Wipro, Capgemini, Accenture, Ernst & Young (EY), etc.|
|Job Positions||Market Analyst, Sales Manager, Public Relations Director, Brand Manager, Product Manager, Marketing Strategist, Digital Marketing Executive.|
Why MBA Marketing Management?
- The candidates with MBA Marketing Management get jobs in MNCs, Media Houses, Event Management Firms, IT Firms, Advertising Agencies, Public Sector Organisations, etc.
- These candidates are offered job roles like Sales Manager, Public Relations Director, Market Analyst, Brand Manager, etc.
- One can find immense placement opportunities with world class companies like Google, Microsoft, Deloitte, etc.
- One can also avail opportunities in the Fast Moving Consumer Goods sector with excellent salary, incentives and perks.
- One can also make use of tools like market research, pricing, advertising and sales promotion to ensure day-to-day success of the organisation one would work in.
- The highlight of the course is that it has a number of presentations, projects and internships to be done which gives practical experience apart from theoretical knowledge that will really help in the workplace.
- On the whole, an MBA in Marketing is one course which provides all the needed skills to shine in one’s work place.
MBA Retail Management vs MBA Marketing Management
Both MBA Retail Management and MBA Marketing Management are postgraduate courses which are for the duration of two years. Both the courses are different specializations under management studies which have immense career opportunities post graduation. Obviously one has to pass CAT/MAT/XAT/GMAT in order to seek admission in the course. Here are some key differences between the courses:
|Parameters||MBA Marketing Management||MBA Retail Management|
|Course Aim||MBA in Marketing would give you a 360 degree coverage of marketing and all contents of it.||MBA in Retail Management would be very specific because it would cover only the whole retail process.|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Course Overview||You would study things from the perspective of a manufacturer, wholesaler, retailer and customer. Subjects covered in the curriculum include Digital Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Marketing Management, Product and Brand Management.||In MBA Retail Management, you don’t have the whole picture of the market and would learn from the perspective of the manufacturer. Subjects covered in the curriculum of Retail Management include Stock Management, Customer Management, Financial Management, Retail Marketing, Retail Sales and Customer Service, etc.|
|Eligibility||Graduation with minimum 50% aggregate marks||Graduation with minimum 50% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Through Entrance Exams||Through Entrance Exams|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 3,00,000 - 10,00,000||INR 5,00,000 - 15,00,000|
|Major Recruiters||The major recruiters include IBM, Capgemini, Ashok Leyland, CTS, Tata Group of Industries, etc.||The major recruiters include ITC Retails, Spencers, Colleges & Universities, Retail Industries, etc.|
|Job Profiles||Marketing Manager, Marketing Executive, Public Relations Director, Product Manager, etc;.||Floor Manager, Retail Manager, Store Manager, Supply Chain Distributor, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 20,00,000||INR 4,00,000 - 20,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Go through the full list of MBA Retail Management colleges in India.
Which are the Top Colleges for MBA Marketing Management?
There are almost 2,273 colleges in India offering MBA Marketing Management. Most of the colleges, universities and business schools follow high class syllabus, real time projects, presentations for an effective outcome of the course. Below table mentions the topmost colleges for MBA Marketing Management according to NIRF 2020 Ranking.
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||College Name||City||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Salary|
|5||Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur||Kharagpur||INR 5,00,000||INR 17,50,000|
|7||Indian Institute of Management||Indore||INR 7,50,000||INR 30,00,000|
|12||Department of Management Studies - IIT Roorkee||Roorkee||INR 4,10,000||INR 12,00,000|
|14||Department of Management Studies, IIT Madras||Chennai||INR 4,00,000||INR 16,00,000|
|15||Indian Institute of Management||Tiruchirapalli||INR 5,50,000||INR 23,15,000|
|17||Indian Institute of Management||Udaipur||INR 4,20,000||INR 33,00,000|
|18||SP Jain Institute of Management and Research||Mumbai||INR 18,65,000||INR 30,60,000|
|23||Great Lakes Institute of Management||Chennai||INR 16,00,000||INR 14,00,000|
|35||National Institute of Technology||Trichy||INR 1,30,000||INR 6,50,000|
Source: College Websites
In order to have a complete knowledge about all the colleges, its ranking, fees structure, etc visit Top MBA Marketing Management Colleges.
MBA Marketing Management College Comparison
The top IIT, IIM and NIT offering MBA Marketing Management have been compared on the basis of fees, placements, rankings, etc.
|Parameters||Vinod Gupta School of Management, IIT Kharagpur||Indian Institute of Management, Indore||National Institute of Technology, Trichy|
|Overview||Vinod Gupta School of Management is the management school of IIT Kharagpur. It is one of the oldest B-schools within the IIT system. It is one of the top ten management colleges in India.||IIM Indore is one of the old IIMs and was established in 1996. It offers a full time PGP course in Management. It is one of the top 10 management institutions in India.||It is one of the best NITs in India providing UG, PG and PhD across various streams including Engineering, Humanities, and Management.|
|NIRF Management Ranking 2020||5||7||35|
|Admission Process||CMAT followed by Personal Interview||CAT followed by WAT and PI rounds||CMAT followed by Personal Interview|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 5,00,000||INR 7,50,000||INR 1,30,000|
|Major Recruiters||Accenture, Deloitte, Amazon, Vedanta, Ford, Mahindra, etc.||Abbott, Flipkart, Accenture, Network18, Novartis, etc.||Mindtree, Air India, Genpact, Cognizant, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 17,50,000||INR 30,00,000||INR 6,50,000|
Source: College Websites
Which Colleges Offer MBA Marketing Management Through Distance Education?
As businesses are adopting a very professional and dedicated approach to marketing, MBA Marketing Management is one of the most preferred specializations across the globe. The distance MBA Marketing Management course is a 2 year program which is divided into 4 semesters with the last two semesters focussing exclusively on aspects of marketing and sales.
The subjects which are included in the curriculum of the course are:
- Sales Distribution and Supply Chain Management
- Consumer Behaviour
- Marketing Research
- International Marketing
- Advertising Management and Sales Promotion
Some of the most popular colleges offering Distance Education Program in MBA Marketing Management are:
|College Name||Duration||City||Average Annual Fees|
|Institute of Management Technology||2 years||Ghaziabad||INR 3,25,000|
|IIBM Institute of Business Management||2 years||Meerut||INR 35,000|
|Indian School of Business Management||2 years||Hyderabad||INR 25,900|
|Regenesys Institute of Management||2 years||Navi Mumbai||INR 14.95,000|
|Amity Centre For E-Learning||2 years||Noida||INR 1,15,000|
Which are the Subjects Taught in MBA Marketing Management?
The common subjects of study are mentioned below. There may be regular updates in the subjects as per the guidelines issued by UGC or the university it is deemed to. It is always better to refer to the official website of the particular college to have the exact syllabus of the course.
|SEMESTER ?||SEMESTER ?|
|Management Concepts||Accounting And Managerial Decisions|
|Business Environment||Computer Application-?|
|Managerial Economics||Sales Management|
|Statistical Analysis and & Operations Research||Consumer Behaviour|
|Financial and Cost Accounting||Agricultural And Rural Marketing|
|Marketing Management||Marketing Research|
|Financial Management||Advertising Management|
|SEMESTER ?||SEMESTER ?|
|Entrepreneurship Development||Marketing of Non profit Organization|
|Service Marketing And CRM||Logistics And Supply Chain Management|
|E-Commerce||Computer Application- ?|
|Product And Brand Management||Management Information System|
|International Business||Industrial Marketing|
|-||Total Quality Management|
Which are the Important Books for MBA Marketing Management?
Here are some of the books along with their authors which would be helpful in pursuing MBA Marketing Management:
|Essentials Of Management||Kootz,O'Donnell , Weighrich|
|Business Environment||K. Aswathappa|
|Managerial Economics||Varshney & Maheshwari|
|Business Statistics||Gupta , S.P. & Gupta , M.P.|
|Marketing Management||Kotlar, Philip|
|Managerial Finance||Weston and Brigham|
|Successful Selling||F.L. Lobo|
The above mentioned books are suggested readings for aspirants who choose to study MBA Marketing Management.
What are the Job Profiles and Salary Trends Available for MBA Marketing Management Candidates?
In recent times, business firms and organisations have a unique approach towards marketing. The most prominent and growing field after graduation in the stream of marketing would be Digital Marketing which requires knowledge on social media marketing, pay-per clicks, google ads, search engine optimization, etc. As Management and Marketing are the two pillars which holds the organization strong, a candidate with proficiency in both is sure to have enormous placement opportunities like:
- Marketing Manager
- Brand Manager
- Public Relations Director
- Sales Manager
Some of the most prominent job profiles with their annual salary is given below:
|Job Role||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Marketing Analyst||A market analyst is responsible for studying market conditions to assess the potential sales of products and services.The goal of a market analyst is to assist companies to determine what products are in demand, who will purchase the products and the price they are willing to pay.||INR 4,53,000|
|Sales Manager||A sales manager is someone who is responsible for leading and guiding a team of sales people in an organization. They set sales goals & quotas, build a sales plan, analyze data, assign sales training and sales territories, mentor the members of his/her sales team and are involved in the hiring and firing process.||INR 4,57,700|
|Public Relations Director||The roles of public relations director include setting goals for the PR team and monitoring it, cultivating and maintaining relationships with media and influential personalities, maximizing the brand's presence on various channels.||INR 5,85,000|
|Marketing Executive||Marketing Executive is a marketing professional who manages and oversees execution of marketing strategies. Marketing Executive supports the work of marketing teams on projects and activities aimed at developing marketing strategies and campaigns with the overall goal of maximizing company profit.||INR 2,88,000|
|Digital Marketing Executive||A digital marketing executive is typically responsible for engaging a brand with customers or clients via the digital space. Their main aim is to establish and manage the business’ online presence.||INR 3,11,000|
|Brand Manager||A Brand Manager is responsible for adapting a brand strategy for a company's target market. Brand managers must have strong communication skills and need to maintain good relationships with colleagues and external contacts.||INR 10,77,700|
|Product Manager||A product manager is responsible for the development of products for an organization, known as the practice of product management. Product managers own the business strategy behind a product (both physical and digital products), specify its functional requirements, and generally manage the launch of features. They coordinate the work done by many other functions like software engineers, data analyst, data scientist and product designers and are ultimately responsible for the business success of the product||INR 12,52,000|
|Market Research Analyst||Market research analysts assess consumer preferences to help organizations decide how to shape, advertise, and market their products and services. Many market research analysts work for consulting firms that are hired on a contract basis.||INR 3,56,000|
What are the Future Scopes and Further Study Options after MBA Marketing Management?
- There are immense job opportunities with most satisfying salaries post graduation of MBA Marketing Management, some of which are mentioned above.
- One can even own his/her business in future as the course teaches both marketing and management which are the most essential parts of a business.
- If the students are interested in higher studies, they can pursue a PhD in Marketing.
- After completing PhD Management, the candidates will be able to join as faculty members in various management colleges.
- The students can also pursue various certification courses like Certificate in Digital Marketing, etc which will help them upgrade to higher positions.
MBA Marketing Management FAQs
Ques. What is the career scope after MBA in Marketing?
Ans. One has immense job opportunities and offers post graduation of MBA in Marketing as Marketing has been the heart of any business. One can find placement opportunities in IT firms, Event Management Companies, Public Sector, Private Sector, Multinational Corporations, etc.
Ques. What are the job roles one can perform after MBA in Marketing?
Ans. One can take up job roles like Sales Manager, Sales Executive, Product Manager, Digital Marketing Executive, Marketing Executive, Brand Manager, Public Relations Officer, etc.
Ques. What is the average salary for a MBA in Marketing fresher?
Ans. It all depends upon the sector you enter and the job role you undertake. The most common average annual salary post graduation in MBA in Marketing is 8,00,000.
Ques. Is MBA Marketing costly?
Ans. The answer lies in the institution you prefer to study. The annual fees for the course varies from 30,000 to 12,00,000 INR depending on the quality of the institutions.
Ques. What are the entrance exams one should take in order to get an admission in MBA in Marketing?
Ans. Some institutions offer admissions on the basis of merit while some institutions demand for particular management entrance exams. The most common entrance exam for MBA in India is CAT (Common Aptitude Test), MAT (Management Aptitude Test), GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test). Some institutions conduct their own entrance exams like XAT (Xavier Aptitude Test).
Ques. What is the difference between MBA and PGDM?
Ans. MBA is a postgraduate degree in a particular field of study offered by universities and colleges whereas PGDM is a Postgraduate Diploma offered by AICTE approved institutes.
Ques. Is it advisable to pursue MBA immediately after graduation or we can pursue it after gaining some work experience?
Ans. The choice depends upon your needs and your aim. However, it is advisable to gain some experience in work and then one could opt for MBA as to have a better understanding about the job scenario. Most of the foreign universities demand a minimum of 3 to 5 job experience as an eligibility to seek admission into the course.
Ques. Is CAT acceptable for pursuing an MBA abroad?
Ans. No, most of the abroad universities, institutions and business schools prefer GMAT or GRE to provide admission on a particular course.
Ques. What is the admission process for MBA Marketing Management?
Ans. One must have scored the required marks in the particular entrance exam as suggested by the university/institution. Once the marks are to the expectation, one will be called for a Personal Interview. Some universities also conduct Group Discussions or WAT before Personal Interview.
Ques. What is the minimum CAT score to get an admission in IIM?
Ans. It depends on which IIM you choose to study and the student’s profile. However, most IIMs expect 85-90 percentile while there is some relaxation to SC/ST candidates.