What is MBE?
Master of Business Economics or MBE is a postgraduate course for two years. The course includes understanding the global economy and its interaction with organizations, individuals and society.
Go through the full list of top MBE Colleges in India.
A candidate with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in any discipline is eligible to apply for the MBE course. The candidate will have to secure a minimum aggregate of 45% marks at UG level to be eligible to apply for MBE.
Admissions to MBE are generally given on the basis of marks scored by the candidate in the previous examination. Some universities may ask the candidates to appear for the entrance test.
The average fees for MBE range from INR 10,000 to 3,00,000, depending on the institute offering the course. Top management colleges in India offering a Master of Business Economics course are:
|Name of Institute||City||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||Entrance Test||INR 12,000||INR 2,40,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||CUCET||INR 60,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Bundelkhand University||Jhansi||Merit Based||INR 21,050||INR 4,00,000|
|Mewar Institute of Management||Ghaziabad||Merit Based||INR 35,000||INR 3,75,000|
|Gauhati University||Guwahati||Merit Based||INR 38,540||INR 2,60,000|
Business economics is an area of business decision-making for individuals interested in applying economic theory and analysis.
MBE graduates get jobs as Business Economist, Asset Manager, Market Analyst, Operations Manager, Financial Analyst, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Investment Banker, etc.
The average placement salary stands in the range of INR 5,00,000 to 15,00,000 for MBE candidates depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
After completing MBE, if the candidate wants to pursue higher studies, then opt for PhD in Business Administration, Economics, Management, Business Administration, Finance, Organization Behaviour. After completing a PhD, one can become a professor in various colleges.
What is the Admission Process for MBE?
MBE admissions are done mainly through marks obtained by the candidates at the UG level. But some colleges require the candidate to clear a university level entrance test.
- Application forms for admissions are invited generally during the month of May.
- The Selection Committee will call eligible candidates possessing the minimum educational qualifications for document verification and personal interview.
- Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in selection criteria, candidates found suitable for admission will be accepted for the course.
The students need to follow the following steps while applying for the MBE course.
- Step 1: Candidates need to register to the official website by providing their email id, mobile number, and password.
- Step 2: Filling up the online form with personal and academic details and course details.
- Step 3: Upload all the scanned documents like candidate’s Photograph, Signature, Photo Identification, mark sheets, caste certificate, etc.
- Step 4: Payment of the application fees using a Net banking, debit/credit card.
- Step 5: Submission of the application fee and form, submit, and download the form for future references.
A student seeking admission to the MBE program shall submit the application form along with:
- Proof of birth date
- Degree or passing certificate of the qualifying examination
- Migration Certificate
- Gap certificate if applicable
- Scorecard of the entrance exam
Read more of Chandigarh University Admission Process.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to MBE course?
Candidates seeking admission to an MBE course must complete certain eligibility criteria, some of which are listed below.
- Candidates should hold a Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification from a recognized university/institution.
- Candidates must secure a minimum aggregate of 45% marks or equivalent grade in Bachelor’s Degree.
- Candidates having an educational background in Economics or Commerce are preferred, but the course is open to all streams.
- In the case of reserved category candidates, the relaxation of 5 percent marks or equivalent grade shall be granted in accordance with the UGC guidelines
Which Entrance Exams are Required for Admission to MBE Course?
The MBE course is similar to MBA therefore colleges consider CAT for generation of merit list.
- Few institutes offering Master of Business Economics programs conduct their own entrance exams for admission to the course, to assess the eligibility of candidates for pursuance of the course.
- However, many institutes admit students through their performance in qualifying exams.
Two such entrance exams are discussed below.
- CAT - Common Admission Test is an entrance exam for admission to management courses. It is a gateway to the prestigious 20 IIMs in India and more than 1200 + B colleges. CAT is conducted once in a year by one of the IIM's.
- CUCET - This entrance exam is conducted by Chandigarh University for admission to various UG and PG courses including engineering and management courses offered by the university.
Some of the most popular institute level entrance exams for this course are given in the table below.
|Exam Name||Conducted By||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Type|
|CAT||IIM’s||August 14 - 30, 2020||Nov 29, 2020||Online|
|CUCET||Chandigarh University||Jan 1 - Jul 29, 2020||Jan 1 – Jul 31, 2020||Online|
|NIMS EE||NIMS University||Apr 16 – Jun 16, 2020||Jun 27, 2020||Offline|
Many colleges and universities have postponed their entrance exam dates due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis.
How to Prepare for a MBE Entrance Exam?
The students can follow the below given preparation tips to score well in MBE entrance exams.
- Candidates should focus on the preparation plan as each exam has a specific set of questions and time allocation.
- On the basis of the previous year's paper, lay out a study plan which will allow you to cover the syllabus as well as revise it efficiently.
- The Master of Business Economics entrance question paper generally MCQ divided into different sections.
- It will require in-depth knowledge of Business Economics, analytical skills, and sharp memory to crack the exam.
- Practicing sample question papers and model tests certainly offers students an advantage because they are able to learn the exam's style and layout well beforehand.
- Consulting a student who is pursuing an MBE can give a clear picture and a lot of guidance for the test.
How to Get Admission to a Top MBE College?
To secure a seat in a good college for MBE, the candidates must keep in mind the following points.
- To gain a seat in a good class, candidates must appear for National Entrance Tests and achieve high ranking marks.
- The candidates must have secured higher marks at the UG level to comfortably qualify the required minimum marks.
- Candidates should put their time and effort into the entrance test as well as be prepared for a personal interview round.
- Prepare for the entrance exam well in advance and solve mock tests before the test day.
- Be well versed with bachelor's subjects and general knowledge for Personal Interview.
- Look for the qualifications, cut-offs, selection requirements, admission process, application process and other changes to help you plan better.
MBE: What is it About?
MBE Programme is for two years which is divided into four semesters. It involves a detailed study of Business Economics.
- Business economics is an area of business decision-making for individuals interested in applying economic theory and research.
- Business economics includes understanding the global economy and its interaction with companies, individuals and society.
- MBE usually includes subjects like Advanced Mathematics, Analysis, Research Methods, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics.
- The business economics course incorporates the advanced finance and accounting program, as well as SAP, Pantheon, Asseco, Bloomberg and Forex platform.
- Continuous student training in the learning of technical business skills and personal business skills, helps them to learn a full range of skills required for productive career growth.
MBE Course Highlight
Some of the major highlights for the MBE course are given in the table below.
|Course level||Post Graduate|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation in any stream|
|Admission Process||Merit based|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000 – 3,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 – 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Banks Sector, Non-profit Organizations, Educational Institutes, Financial Organizations, Multinational Companies, Government Sector, Research and Development, etc.|
|Job Positions||Business Economist, Asset Manager, Market Analyst, Operations Manager, Financial Analyst, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Investment Banker, etc.|
Why Should You Study MBE?
The MBE course has many advantages and benefits. Some of them are discussed below.
- The main feature of the MBE program's teaching approach is the use of case study methods. It enables students to develop systematic and analytical problem-solving skills by reviewing case studies of effective companies in the country and abroad.
- It gives practical focus, with the possibility of completing work placements and professional projects included in the program.
- Those with a Master of Business Economics degree will seek various mid-level and executive positions in banks, investment companies, government departments, private corporations and other organisations.
- Management consulting careers have evolved on the basis of providing independent advice to help companies, organizations and businesses improve their performance, solve problems, create value, and maximize growth.
- Careers in investment management involve providing clients with financial advice and services to help them in investment matters such as the purchase and sale of units, investment trusts, shares, and bonds.
- For an economist the final move is to go for his PhD upon completing the course, students interested in their PhD will be highly qualified in business mathematics and statistics, econometrics, and theory.
Course Comparison: Master of Business Economics vs MBA Business Economics
MBE and MBA Business Economics are almost similar courses except for a few differences. The comparison given below is given taking into account all the relevant parameters of the differences:
|Parameters||Master of Business Economics||MBA in Business Economics|
|Degree Type||Post Graduate||Post Graduate|
|Overview||This is a blend of strategic methods and economic theories.||The key aim of this course is to spread comprehensive macro and micro-economic information and quantitative techniques.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 10,000 – 3,00,000||INR 2,00,000 – 4,00,000|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduate in any stream||Graduate in any stream|
|Admission Process||Merit based||Entrance based|
|Top Colleges||Bundelkhand University, Mewar Institute of Management, Gauhati University, Himachal Pradesh University, DAV College||Vinod Gupta School of Management, Maharshi Dayanand University, Jiwaji University, Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Bapuji Academy of Management and Research|
|Top Recruiting Area||Banks Sector, Non-profit Organizations, Educational Institutes, Financial Organizations, Multinational Companies, Government Sector, Research and Development, etc.||Banks, Investment Banking, Business Development, Stock Broking Firms, Financial Institutions, Industrial Organizations, Non Profit Organizations, Export Companies, Marketing Firms, etc.|
|Job Positions||Business Economist, Asset Manager, Market Analyst, Operations Manager, Financial Analyst, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Investment Banker, etc.||Bank Officer, Financial Analyst, Credit Manager, Risk Manager, Investment Banker, Marketing Manager, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 – 20,00,000||INR 6,00,000 – 25,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges Offering MBE?
Here is the top MBE college list for your reference. These colleges show the admission process, location, and average fee charged for Master of Business Economics.
|Name of the Institute||City||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Package|
|NIMS University||Jaipur||INR 12,000||INR 2,40,000|
|Chandigarh University||Chandigarh||INR 60,000||INR 5,00,000|
|Bundelkhand University||Jhansi||INR 21,050||INR 4,00,000|
|Mewar Institute of Management||Ghaziabad||INR 35,000||INR 3,75,000|
|Gauhati University||Guwahati||INR 38,540||INR 2,60,000|
|Himachal Pradesh University||Shimla||INR 4,580||INR 3,30,000|
|DAV College||Chandigarh||INR 48,380||INR 2,87,000|
|Rama University||Kanpur||INR 60,000||INR 3,00,000|
|IIS University||Jaipur||INR 66,850||INR 6,60,000|
Source: College Websites
College Comparison for MBE
Below given is the college comparison of the top MBE offering colleges in terms of several parameters like average fee, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others.
|Parameters||Bundelkhand University||Mewar Institute of Management||Gauhati University|
|Overview||It is a public university located in Jhansi, Uttar Pradesh. It is recognized by UGC and AICTE.||It is a specialized management college which was established in 1997. It is affiliated to CCS University Meerut.||It is one of the oldest public universities of Assam. It was established in 1947. It offers a plethora of courses at the UG, PG and PhD level.|
|Eligibility Criteria||Graduation with 45% marks||Graduation with 45% marks||Graduation with 50% marks in the relevant discipline.|
|Admission Process||Merit Based||Merit Based||Merit Based|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 21,050||INR 35,000||INR 38,540|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,00,000||INR 3,75,000||INR 2,60,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Azim Premji Foundation, Genpact, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, Singsys Pvt Ltd, Just Dial, Eris Lifesciences, Tech Mahindra, etc.||Athancare, Landcraft, Bajaj Alianze, RBH India, Axis Bank Ltd, RBL, ACM Legal, HDFC Life, Vivo, TCS, etc.||HDFC, ICICI, Tech Mahindra, Mahindra and Mahindra, Kotak, IOCL, Reliance, Airtel, Aircel, and many more.|
Source: College Websites
Which Subjects are Taught in the MBE Course?
Specific requirements vary according to school, here is a semester wise break up of subjects taught in MBE course:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Economic Analysis for Business Decisions–I||Economic Analysis for Business Decisions–II|
|Quantitative Techniques for Business||Operations Research|
|Computer Applications for Business||Banking and Foreign Exchange Management|
|Business Finance & Accounting||Industrial Structure, Organization and Policy|
|Organizational Principles and Behaviour||Consumer Behaviour and Marketing Management|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|International Trade and Business Procedures||Project Appraisal and Investment Planning|
|Advertising and Sales Management||Labour Economics and Industrial Relations|
|Investment Theory and Portfolio Management||Business Policy and Strategy|
|Indian and Global Economics Environment||Information Technology|
|Management Information System||Forecasting and Business Planning|
|Econometric Techniques||Project Report|
Which Job Profiles and Salary Trends are Available for MBE candidates?
Many companies in the field of Banks Sector, Non-profit Organizations, Educational Institutes, Financial Organizations, Multinational Companies, Government Sector, Research and Development, etc regularly hire MBE candidates.
Here are some Job profiles for MBE candidates.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Business Economist||For decision-making, market economists apply economics. He uses the economic analysis techniques to explain issues, arrange and analyse knowledge and compare alternative courses of action.||INR 6,00,000|
|Asset Manager||An asset manager manages asset management such as cash, assets, stocks, precious metals, shares, and immovable property. He / she manages assets which an entity or a person owns, leases and subleases. Fund managers determine which assets to purchase by undertaking extensive research into these assets.||INR 10,10,000|
|Market Analyst||A market analyst is responsible for analysing business trends for assessing future product and service revenues. A market analyst's aim is to help marketers decide which goods are on demand, who will buy the products and the price they are willing to pay.||INR 3,50,000|
|Operations Manager||An operations manager is a vital member of a management team and performs high-level HR responsibilities, such as recruiting talent and setting expectations for training and hiring procedures. They also evaluate and strengthen organizational processes, and work towards enhancing efficiency, profitability and effectiveness.||INR 4,50,000|
|Financial Analyst||Financial analysts are responsible for monitoring financial performance of an organization against a schedule, evaluating operating results and market trends to produce estimates, and assisting senior management in making operational and strategic decisions by producing periodic reports.||INR 4,00,000|
|Consultant||Consultants provide companies advice and experience to help them enhance financial, productivity, management, structure and strategy efficiency of their company.||INR 11,00,000|
|Financial Advisor||A Financial Advisor provides clients with financial planning and guidance to help clients meet their financial goals. Financial advisors assist clients in the management of their existing assets and investments and in acquiring additional assets as needed / wanted.||INR 5,00,000|
|Investment Banker||An investment banker may undertake several activities for a client, but the investment banker's key task is to raise capital by issuing securities, whether it be debt or equity. Investment bankers may also present outcomes for decision-making purposes to their clients.||INR 10,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes After MBE?
There are many future career scopes and higher studies options available after MBE, some of which are discussed below.
- The candidates can go for PhD upon completing the course. Students interested in their PhD will be highly qualified in business mathematics and statistics, econometrics, and theory.
- Candidates can appear for UGC NET / UGC CSIR NET to apply for M.Phil / PhD program in the field.
- The national JRF tests are intended to assess eligibility in Indian universities and colleges for the post of Assistant Professor and/or Junior Research Fellowship award.
- A few of the other popular options candidates prefer after successfully completing MBE are Chartered Financial Analyst, Financial Risk Manager, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certification in Risk Management Assurance, Certified in Production and Inventory Management, Project Management Professional, Executive MBA, DBA, SAP Course, so on.
Ques. What is the eligibility to apply for a MBE?
Ques. Is the entrance test mandatory to secure a seat in the MBE Programme?
Ques. Is there any extension for the application procedure?
Ques. What to opt for MBA or MBE?
Ques. How long does it take to complete the course?
Ques. Is an Economics background compulsory to pursue a MBE?
Ques. Can a student of the second year under - graduation student apply for the Entrance exam?
Ques. What is the difference between MBE and PGDM?
Ques. What is the Master of Business Economics Course?
Ques. What can I pursue after completing my MBE course?