M Ch. in Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery is a 3-year long postgraduate or doctoral degree program that focus on the study related to thoracic organ transplantation and treatment of valvular, aneurysm, congenital and ischemic heart diseases and pulmonary and mediastinal tumors.
To be eligible for this course study, the candidates must have an MS or MD degree in the relevant discipline or Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery from a MCI recognized college or university with a minimum 55% aggregate marks.
Admission to this course study is done on the basis of the performance at the entrance exam (NEET-SS) conducted by the institute followed by the counselling session.
The average course fee charged by the top-most M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery colleges in India typically range between INR 10,000 to 15,00,000, depending on the type of institute.
Some of the most popular M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery colleges in India are AIIMS, JIPMER, PGIMER and CMC, Vellore etc
After completing this course successfully, the postgraduate may have a wide range of lucrative career and job opportunities in any reputed Nursing Home, Hospitals, Private Clinics, research institutes, government hospitals, medical foundations/ trusts, laboratories, polyclinics, medical colleges, health centers, non-profit organizations etc.
They will get employed as Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgeon, Thoracic Surgeon, Medical Scientist, Surgeon- Vascular, Pulmonologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Laboratory Technician, Lecturer/ Professor etc.
Such professionals can easily earn an average annual salary ranging between INR 5,00,000 to 10,00,000; based on their skills and expertise and job roles in the related field.
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Course Highlights
The major highlights of M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course are mentioned in the following:
|Course Level||Post-graduate or Doctoral|
|Exam Type||Semester Type|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree or Post-graduation (MD or MS) or equivalent degree from a recognized university with minimum 55% aggregate|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Counselling|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000-15,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5,00,000-10,00,000|
|Job Roles||Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgeon, Thoracic Surgeon, Medical Scientist, Surgeon- Vascular, Pulmonologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Laboratory Technician, Lecturer/ Professor etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Nursing Home, Hospitals, Private Clinics, research institutes, government hospitals, medical foundations/ trusts, laboratories, polyclinics, medical colleges, health centers, non-profit organizations etc.|
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Admission Process
Admission into M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course is done on the basis of the entrance exam followed by the counselling session. Some of the most common M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery entrance exams are NEET SS, AIIMS PG etc. There are few private colleges that conduct their own set of entrance exams.
The admission process is as follows:
- Students need to register through the official website of the respective colleges by entering some of their basic personal details, like email id, phone number etc.
- Fill in the application form with all required details. Must ensure that all details are correct.
- Scan and upload all necessary documents like Marksheet, certificate, photograph and signature in a specified format as mentioned in the online application portal.
- Pay the requisite application fee through both online and offline mode.
- Within a few days, the admit cards are released once all applicants are judged for eligibility. Download it and get a print copy to be used on the date of the entrance exam
- Appear for the entrance exam on the announced date. Need to be well-prepared for the exam.
- Within a couple of weeks, the entrance exam result will be announced. The qualified candidates now move to the next round.
- Candidates who have cleared the entrance exam, need to go through the counselling or GD/PI round. The shortlisted candidates are now eligible for admission.
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Eligibility Criteria
Candidates who are willing to pursue M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery study need to fulfill the following minimum eligibility criteria:
- Must hold a Master’s degree or a postgraduate medical degree (MD/MS/DNB) and provisional pass certificate or equivalent degree from a college/ university recognized by the Medical Council of India.
- Need to secure a minimum 55% of aggregate at their post graduation level.
- Must have a permanent registration with the Medical Council of India or any of the State Medical Councils.
- The candidates should have a work experience of 24 months in General Surgery or Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery.
- Candidates waiting for their final year examination’s result can also for this course study on a provisional basis.
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Entrance Exams
To get admission into M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery program, the aspiring candidates need to appear for various national or state-level entrance exams. Listed below some of the most common and popular M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery entrance exams:
- AIIMS PG: It is a national-level entrance exam, conducted by All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi. This entrance exam is organized to get admission into various postgraduate degree courses like MD, MS, M Ch., MDS, DM etc.
- JIPMER: It is a university-level entrance exam conducted by the Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry. The entrance exam is organized twice in a year, mostly in January and July to offer admission into various MD/MS courses.
- NEET SS: It is another national-level entrance exam conducted by the National Board of Examination once in a year, to offer admission into various DM/M Ch. courses.
The important dates of application and exam of the above-mentioned entrance exams are mentioned in the following table:
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Application Period||Exam Date|
|AIIMS PG 2021||Online||March 9-28, 2021||April 3, 2021 April 19-21, 2021|
|NEET SS||Online||November-December, 2020||May 2021|
How to prepare for M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery entrance exams?
To secure a better percentage in M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery entrance exams, the candidates need to be well-prepared. While you are preparing for the same, must keep the below-mentioned tips in mind:
- Before starting preparing for the entrance exam, the candidates need to be well-aware about the exam syllabus. Download the entire syllabus from the college’s website
- Must have a clear idea about the entrance exam pattern. The pattern may change every M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery entrance exams year. So, you need to stay updated
- Most of the entrance exam consists of MCQ type questions on the subjects you have learned at your graduation level. So, you need to have a strong basis on that portion.
- Sometimes, there are negative markings on wrong answers. So, you need to answer a question when you are 100% correct.
- Try to manage a time table. To crack any entrance exam, time management is essential. Manage your time frame for study and quick revision. Regular practice is a must.
- Try to solve previous years question papers, it will help you to get an idea about the entrance exam and even enhance your confidence level.
- Attempt mock tests before appearing for the entrance exam, it will identify your weak and strong points, so that you can further work on your weaker parts.
- Go through the study materials and reference books available in the market to make your preparation more effective. You can also join online coaching classes.
How to get admission into a good M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery college?
To secure your admission into the top-most M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery college, you need to follow the below-mentioned pointers:
- Narrow down the list of top-notch M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery colleges available in India.
- Make a list of your preferred colleges based on their geographical location, ease of access, eligibility criteria, admission procedure etc.
- Fill up the application form carefully and try to submit it before closing of the application portal.
- For the entrance-based admission process, the candidates need to perform well at the examination and have to secure a great percentile to be qualified for the next interview session.
- Candidates need to be well-prepared for the exam. You should start preparing for the entrance exam one-year before appearing for the exam.
- Stay updated about the date of entrance exam and interview. Visit the official website of the colleges and get all relevant details there.
- Must have a clear idea about the course curriculum offered by the colleges of your choice. Even you should have the details of college faculty members.
- Need to know the average placement package offered to the last year’s candidates. If you have any doubts, you can directly contact the management team.
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Course Syllabus
M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course syllabus may differ from one institute to another. The Section-wise course breakup is mentioned in the following:
|Applied Anatomy and Developmental Anatomy||Cardiopulmonary Bypass, Myocardial Protection and Circulatory Support|
|Applied Physiology||Ischemic Heart Disease|
|Applied Pathology||Heart Valve Disease|
|Applied Microbiology||Aorta Vascular Disease|
|Cardiovascular Engineering||General Management of Patient Undergoing Thoracic Surgery|
|Critical Care Medicine||Neoplasms of the Lung|
|Imaging||Disorders of the Pleura|
|Cardiac Surgery||Disorders of the Chest Wall|
|General Thoracic Surgery||Disorders of the Diaphragm|
|Vascular Surgery||Emphysema and Bullae|
|Thoracic Endoscopies||Disorders of the Pericardium|
|Cardio Thoracic Anesthesia||Disorders of the Mediastinum|
|Cardiology||Disorders of the Airway|
|Critical Care and Postoperative Management||-|
|Section II||Section III|
|Detailed Knowledge of Recent Advances in Cardiac Surgery||Video assisted Thoracic Surgery|
|Practical (Coronary Artery Bypass grafting, Valve Replacements. Congenital Heart Surgeries, Aortic Surgeries, Thoracic Surgeries and closed procedures etc.)||Project Work/ Thesis|
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Recommended Books
Listed below some of the most popular and common reference books that helps the students pursuing M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course with better understanding:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Advanced Therapy in Thoracic Surgery||Franco, Putnam|
|Shield’s General Thoracic Surgery||Joseph Locicero Lii MD|
|Complications in Cardiothoracic Surgery||Alex G Little, Walter H. Merrill|
|Thoracic Endoscopy: Advances in Interventional Pulmonology||Micheal J. Simoff, Daniel H. Sterman, Armin Ernst|
|Cardiothoracic Trauma||Stephen Westaby, John A. Odell|
|Psychotherapy for Ischemic Heart Disease: An Evidence-based Clinical Approach||Adriana Roncella, Christian Pristipino|
M Ch. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery: Top Colleges
Listed below the top-notch M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery colleges in India:
|College/ University Name||Average Annual Fees|
|Madras Medical College, Chennai||INR 56,425|
|Christian Medical College, Vellore||INR 1,16,950|
|NIMHANS, Bengaluru||INR 69,950|
|MGU Kottayam||INR 15,77,000|
|Kasturba Medical College, Manipal||INR 5,63,200|
|Amrita University, Kochi||INR 12,77,000|
|All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi||INR 2,292|
|Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research (JIPMER), Puducherry||INR 8,205|
|Postgraduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh||INR 2,370|
|Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology, Kerala||INR 1,09,160|
|Armed Forces Medical College (AFMC), Pune||INR 69,400|
|Maulana Azad Medical College, New Delhi||-|
|Byramjee Jeejeebhoy Government Medical College, Pune||INR 69,400|
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: College Comparison
Mentioned below the detailed comparison between the top three M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery colleges in India based on major important parameters:
|College Name||Madras Medical College||Christian Medical College||National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences (NIMHANS)|
|NIRF Rank 2020||12||3||4|
|Overview||This Government college is accredited by the Tamil Nadu Dr. MGR Medical University. The institute is famous for offering UG, PG, PG Diploma and Super-specialty courses in various disciplines.||This institute was established in the year 1918, affiliated by Dr. MGR Medical Institute, Chennai. The college offers various UG, PG and diploma courses in the field of Medicine, Surgery and Nursing.||It is one of the best institutions for Mental Health and Neuroscience education in India. The college offers various UG, PG, Diploma, PGDM, PhD courses in various specializations.|
|Eligibility||MD or MS degree with minimum 50% aggregate marks from a university recognized by Medical Council of India||MS/MD in the related field with minimum 50% aggregate marks from a recognized university||Bachelor’s in MBBS or MS/DNB in General Surgery from a recognized university|
|Admission Process||Merit + Entrance Exam||NEET PG + Medical Fitness Test||NIMHANS entrance test + Interview|
|Course Fee||INR 56,425||INR 1,16,950||INR 69,950|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 9,10,000||INR 4,20,000||INR 3,20,000|
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery Vs M Ch. in Neurosurgery
Both M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery and M Ch. in Neurosurgery courses are postgraduate research-oriented programs. Here we discussed the basic differences based on the major important parameters:
Check out the top M Ch. Neurosurgery colleges in India
|Parameters||M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery||M Ch. in Neurosurgery|
|Full Form||Master of Chirurgiae in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery||Master of Chirurgiae in Neurosurgery|
|Course Level||Postgraduate program||Postgraduate program|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||Master’s degree or Post-graduation (MD or MS) or equivalent degree from a recognized university with minimum 55% aggregate||MBBS/ MS in General Surgery from a MCI recognized college with minimum 55% aggregate marks|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam + Counselling||Entrance exam followed by counselling|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000-15,00,000||INR 2,000-12,00,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 5,00,000-10,00,000||INR 4,00,000-15,00,000|
|Top Colleges||Kasturba Medical College, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences, Christian Medical College, Madras Medical College etc.||All India Institute of Medical Sciences, Madras Medical College, Sri Ramachandra University, SMS Medical College, GSVM Medical College, Baba Farid University of Health Sciences etc.|
|Job Roles||Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgeon, Thoracic Surgeon, Medical Scientist, Surgeon- Vascular, Pulmonologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Laboratory Technician, Lecturer/ Professor etc.||Neurosurgery consultant, Senior Resident (Neurosurgery), Clinical Associate (Neurosurgery), Senior Neurosurgeon, Researcher, Professor etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Nursing Home, Hospitals, Private Clinics, research institutes, government hospitals, medical foundations/ trusts, laboratories, polyclinics, medical colleges, health centers, non-profit organizations etc.||Hospitals, Pharmaceutical companies, government organizations, research companies, colleges and universities etc.|
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Future Scopes
- Upon completing M Ch. Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course, the students who wish to continue further higher studies apart from seeking jobs can pursue advanced surgery courses in various super-specialty fields.
- They can also opt for doing scientific research study in any particular field of surgery.
- Apart from these, the students can opt for pursuing PhD in Cardiology. It is a 3-years doctoral degree program focused on the topics related to identifying the disease and treatment of congenital heart disease, coronary heart disease, valvular heart disease, heart failure and more.
Check out the top PhD Cardiology Colleges in India
M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery: Job and Career Prospects
- On successful completion of M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery course, the students may have a diverse range of prospective career and job opportunities in various reputed Nursing Home, Hospitals, Private Clinics, research institutes, government hospitals, medical foundations/ trusts, laboratories, polyclinics, medical colleges, health centers, non-profit organizations etc.
- They will find potential job options like Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgeon, Thoracic Surgeon, Medical Scientist, Surgeon- Vascular, Pulmonologist, Medical Transcriptionist, Medical Laboratory Technician, Lecturer/ Professor etc.
- Such professionals can easily earn an average starting salary ranges between INR 5,00,000 to 10,00,000 per annum, based on their skills, expertise and job roles in the related field.
Some of the most common and popular job roles for M Ch. in Cardio-Vascular Thoracic Surgery students mentioned below along with respective job description and average annual salary packages:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Thoracic Surgeon||Their main responsibility is to treat the injuries, diseases and congenital abnormalities in the patients’ chest, even have to perform surgery to remove tumors, manage disorders and repair trauma to the heart, lungs, blood vessels, esophagus and diaphragm. They also have to provide non-surgical care of serious respiratory ailments like pneumonia, tuberculosis and chest infections.||INR 4,00,000-10,00,000|
|Medical Scientist||They are basically working with health departments and physicians to develop advanced programs for improving health safety standards. They have to study human disorders, investigate different human diseases, develop the latest medical applications and analyze different medical samples.||INR 3,00,000-7,00,000|
|Surgeon-Vascular||They are specialized in diagnosis, medical management and providing surgical treatment to the patients suffering from diseases related to the blood vessels outside of the heart and brain. Even they have to determine which instruments and surgery method would provide the most effective outcomes.||INR 4,00,000-8,00,000|
|Pulmonologist||Their main responsibility is to prevent, diagnose and treat different medical conditions and diseases related to lungs, chest, bronchial tubes and respiratory system including nose, pharynx and throat.||INR 5,00,000-10,00,000|
|Medical Transcriptionist||They are responsible for transcribing and interpreting the recorded dictations of doctors and other healthcare professionals into diagnostic test results, operative reports, referral letters and other important documents. Even they have to provide reviews and editing drafts prepared by speech recognition software and ensure that the transcription is correct, complete in a consistent style.||INR 3,00,000-5,00,000|
|Medical Laboratory Technician||They have to collect samples, study and perform different tests on blood fluids, teeth, chemical compounds, biological specimens or any other fields of science by using different machinery, lab equipment and complex computer programming.||INR 3,00,000-6,00,000|
M Ch. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery: FAQs
Some of the most frequently asked questions pertaining to the M Ch. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery program are as follows:
Ques. What are the entrance exams that I can give to apply to M Ch. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery program in Indian Universities/ Colleges?
Ques. What is the age limit to apply for M Ch. Cardiovascular Thoracic Surgery Admission?
Ques. Is M Ch. better than BTech?
Ques. I have studied Commerce subjects in college. Can I still apply to this course?
Ques. I am bad at Physics. Can I still apply to this course?
Ques. Is this a graduate or a postgraduate degree?