MCh Paediatric Surgery 3-year full-time postgraduate course. It prepares students to work in hospitals and paediatric surgeons and aims to build the ability to pregnant and manage surgical conditions of infancy and childhood.
MCh Paediatric Surgery candidates who have completed M.D./ M.S. or an equivalent degree from a recognized university by the Schedules to the Indian Medical Council Act, 1995 and have completed a compulsory 1-year internship in the discipline are eligible to apply for this course.
MCh Paediatric Surgery Admission is based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance exam. Some universities conduct their own entrance test for offering admissions.
MCh Paediatric Surgery top institutes are Banaras Hindu University, Kasturba Medical College, Seth GS Medical College-Mumbai etc. The Average course fees stands around INR 10-15 LPA.
MCh Paediatric Surgery subjects that are taught during the course include growth and development, genetics of surgery, common Paediatric conditions and their treatment, genetics of surgery, general pathology, metabolism and physiology, neonatal surgery, etc.
MCh Paediatric Surgery has a great scope in the medical field. Most of the aspirants join large large hospitals and also move for higher education purposes.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Course Details
Highlights for the M.ch in paediatric surgery Course are provided in the table given below:
|Full-Form||Master of Chirurgiae (Paediatric Surgery)|
|Examination Type||Annual System|
|Eligibility||M.D./ M.S that is completed from a university recognized by the Schedules to the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956, along with a year of internship.|
|Admission Process||Based on the rank obtained in the entrance test conducted by the concerned university|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1,295 to 14,09,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 7,00,0000- 13,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospital, Ganga Ram Hospital, AIIMS, Escorts, etc.|
|Job Positions||Dietician, Cardiologist,Senior resident, Resident Physician, Dialysis Technician, Cardiac Anesthetist, many more are there.|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Admission Process
Admission for the M.CH Paediatric Surgery course is done based on the candidate’s performance in a relevant entrance test. Some institutes also conduct their entrance examination for admission to the course. The admission process generally varies from college to college.
Some institutes also provide direct admission to M.Ch paediatric surgery based on the candidate’s performance at the level of M.S./ M.D./ M.B.BS.
The most popular entrance examinations that are conducted are SRM University Medical Exam, Narayana Medical College and Hospital entrance exam, Directorate of Medical Examination, DUMET conducted by Delhi University, All India Institute of Medical Sciences Entrance Exam, etc.
A guide to applying for entrance exam-based admission is as follows.
- Registration: Registration dates are announced days before by the institute or the conducting body and an account needs to be created with basic details like email id, phone number, etc.
- Fill up details: Candidates are required to fill up the application form with all the necessary details with care. Candidates must fill in all the details carefully and correctly.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all required documents like mark sheets are very necessary to get admission to M.CH Paediatric Surgery course. As specified by the institutes’ application portal, documents need to be uploaded in a specific format only.
- Application fee: A minimum application fee is to be paid online by the candidate during the submission of the application form and the payment can be done by all online payment modes.
- Download admit card: Admit cards for M.CH Paediatric Surgery course are released once all the applicants are judged for eligibility. The admit card to get admission to the Paediatric Surgery course must be downloaded and printed out by the candidate to be used on the day of the examination.
- Examination: Prepare for the Paediatric Surgery exam as per the past papers and syllabus. Appear for the examination on the date announced.
- Results: After a couple of weeks of the exam date, results are announced and if a candidate is successful in the qualifying entrance examination, they can move on to the next round.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Eligibility
The eligibility criteria for M.CH Paediatric Surgery course aspirants are not complicated and are as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria may differ from institute to institute to get admission to M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course.
- Candidates must have completed M.D./M.S. from a recognized University by the Schedules to the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956.
- A candidate must have completed a one-year internship in the relevant discipline.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Entrance exams
Many entrance exams are conducted by the respective Institute to appear for admission into the M.Ch Paediatric Surgery course.
Listed below are some of the popular M.Ch Paediatric Surgery course entrance exams.
- All India Institute of Medical Sciences Entrance Exam: AIIMS entrance examination is conducted for admission to the postgraduate and postdoctoral courses in hospital administration which are offered by this group of institutions. AIIMS Delhi is the conducting body for this examination
- DUMET Entrance Examination: Delhi Medical entrance test or DUMET is an All India entrance examination that is conducted to select students for admission to various courses offered by several medical colleges at our affiliated to the University of Delhi. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- NEET SS: National Eligibility cum Entrance Test Super Speciality also known as NEET SS is conducted to get admission to various DM/ MCh courses. Various universities accept thi entrance examination to offer admission to the candidates.
The dates of application and examination for the above-mentioned entrance examinations to get admission to the M.CH Paediatric Surgery course are mentioned in the table below.
|Examination||Application Date||Date of exam||Mode of exam|
|AIIMS Entrance Exam||9 March 2021||17 April 2021||Online|
|NEET SS||2nd week of June 2021||3rd week of June 2021||Offline|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Tips for Entrance Exam
To help candidates prepare better and efficiently for the entrance examination of M.Ch Paediatric Surgery, the following points can be referred to:
- Prepare a timetable for studying that includes each topic in every subject and stick to that timetable as it will ensure the entire syllabus is covered at least once and try allocating time daily to studies.
- The basics of every topic need to be cleared up. On clearing the basics the more advanced chapters will be covered up later on easily and a strong understanding of the basics will be useful for the candidates.
- Practice, practice, practice is required as entrance examinations are all about practice. Attempt as many sample papers of previous years of March Paediatric Surgery as possible and take mocks as well.
- Allocate time separately for the more difficult topics. If needed, reach out to a teacher or tutor to get help on the relevant topics again to excel in them.
- Various paediatric surgery books are available in the market. A candidate can purchase the most recommended paediatric surgery book and can prepare the questions from it.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Top Colleges
The table shows the best M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery colleges/ universities that offer the course in full-time mode.
|NIRF Ranking 2020||Name of the College||Average Fees||Average Starting Salary|
|1||All India Institute of Medical Sciences||INR 2,375 for the first year||INR 10 LPA|
|6||Banaras Hindu University||INR 22,860||INR 4 LPA|
|9||Kasturba Medical College||INR 16,60,000||INR 7 LPA|
|12||Seth GS Medical College, Mumbai||INR 1,12,900||INR 20 Lakhs|
|13||Sri Ramachandra Institute of Higher Education and Research||INR 22,00,000||INR 8 LPA|
|14||St. John's Medical College, Bangalore||INR 4,80,000||INR 25 Lakhs|
|17||Maulana Azad Medical College||INR 4,200 per year||Not mentioned|
|22||Sri Ramachandra Medical College||INR 22,00,000||INR 5-10 LPA|
|32||Pt Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences||INR 22,153||INR 12-18 LPA|
|39||Jawaharlal Nehru Medical College||INR 1,20,000||INR 10 LPA|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Tips for College Admission
To secure admission into a top-ranked M.Ch Paediatric Surgery college, several factors come into play, some of the following tips will be helpful in that regard.
- Be aware of the different types of questions and the difficulty level of the questions that are asked in different entrance exams and some papers might seem easier to attempt but practice them as well in order to succeed.
- Since questions are asked from the syllabus that has been formulated for paediatric surgery exam, going over the material and the notes will be sufficient. Revision of all the basic concepts must be done to excel in a subject.
- Prepare the verbal part aptitude section also by practicing past papers.
- Be aware of all the dates and deadlines of M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery examination. Application dates, exam commencement dates, etc are changed and advertised in all the major newspapers. Therefore, keeping a track of any such news is really necessary.
- Take a look at the daily news and shares of the world regularly as keeping up to date with news will help in preparation for the Mch paediatric surgery exam in the counseling round.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: What is it About?
Information and details about the M.CH in Paediatric course are as follows:
- The program aims to build the skills, knowledge, and ability to diagnose and manage surgical conditions of infancy and childhood.
- It helps in building the skills in the diagnosis and treatment of foetuses, adolescents, children, and young adults.
- M.Ch in paediatric surgery course provides a better quality of life through excellence in clinical practice and pioneering basic research.
- It helps in planning measures for the rehabilitation and prevention of patients suffering from disability and disease.
- It helps in providing adeptness in using techniques and educational methods that are applied in teaching medical/nursing students, general physicians, and paramedical health workers.
Mch in Paediatric Surgery involves the surgery of children, foetuses, infants, adolescents, and young adults and the candidates who are enrolled in the course are given the responsibility of taking care of the patients under the supervision of the faculty members.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Why study this Course?
The goal to attain a Master's of Chirurgiae degree in Paediatric Surgery will depend on each individual's aspirations and goals.
Some of the reasons to pursue the M.Ch. Paediatric Surgery course are as follows:
- Reputed Profession: M.Ch. Paediatric Surgery is a high-demand course where skilled candidates can find job positions immediately. It is one of the most reputable job fields and any student with a passion to excel in the medical field will find success soon.
- High Pay: Average packages for M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery, postgraduates are on the higher side for both private and public organizations. They can opt for teaching jobs in universities and colleges very well in both India and abroad.
- Career opportunities: M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery course aspirants can pursue a diverse array of career opportunities, there is no limit to education programs one can choose. There are plenty of employment opportunities for skilled professionals in areas such as research institutes, military hospitals, private hospitals, etc.
- After completion: Students will be able to get handsome salary packages that range between 7,00,000- 13,00,000 depending upon the candidates’ expertise in the field.
- By pursuing the MCh in paediatric surgery courses, postgraduates can opt to work in research medical institutes, and can also have an opportunity to work in hospitals.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Course Comparison
The course comparison between M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery vs MD in Paediatrics is as follows. Also, check out the top M.Ch. Paediatric Surgery colleges in India.
M.Ch.in Paediatric Surgery Vs MD in Paediatrics
|Parameters||M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery||MD in Paediatrics|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Focus Area||It aims at preparing enrolled students to work in hospitals as paediatric surgeons. It also builds the ability to diagnose and manage surgical conditions of infancy and childhood among the students. The course involves surgery of foetuses, infants, children, adolescents, and young adults.||The course deals with the medical care data given to children especially those below the age of 12 years. The objective of the course is to skill candidates in dealing with all kinds of paediatric diseases and impart certificate training on providing nutritional advice for newborn babies, infants, children, and adolescents.|
|Admission Criteria||Based on the rank in the entrance test conducted by the concerned University||Based on results of the entrance examination(NEET) or personal interview in some cases|
|Eligibility Criteria||MD/ MS completed from a recognized University by the Schedules to the Indian Medical Council Act, 1956 along with the year of internship.||MBBS degree recognised by Medical Council of India|
|Average Course Fees||INR 1,295- 14,09,000||INR 5,000-25,00,000|
|Job Options||Paediatrician, Pediatric Intensivist, Senior Resident, General Physician, etc.||Paediatricians, Assistant Professor in Paediatrics, Neonatology Doctor, Paediatric Intensivist|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Apollo Hospital, Ganga Ram Hospital, AIIMS, Escorts, etc.||Apollo's Children Hospital, Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, Christian Medical Hospital, Columbia Asia Hospital|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Syllabus
The subjects taught for the M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course are almost similar in most colleges. The syllabus for the entire MCh in Paediatric Surgery course is as follows.
|Year I||Year II|
|General knowledge of basic Medical Sciences as applied to paediatric surgery||Malignancy in Childhood|
|Growth and development||Trauma in children including burns|
|Common Paediatric conditions and their treatment||Specialized investigative behavior|
|Neonatal surgery||Paediatric operative surgery|
|Organization of intensive Care unit||Pharmacokinetics|
|Genetics of surgery||Pathology of surgical conditions|
|Fetal anatomy and physiology||Etiology and treatment of congenial informations|
|Metabolism and physiology||Applied and regional anatomy|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Important Books
Tabulated below are some of the subject books that can help students to have a broader and better understanding of the M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course.
|Name of the Book||Name of the author|
|An Illustrated Guide to Paediatric Surgery||Ahmed H. Al-Salem|
|Paediatric Intensive Care||Peter Barry, Kevin Morris, Tariq Ali|
|Newborn Surgery 3E||Prem Puri|
|Paediatric Surgery||David M Burge, Mervyn vD Griffiths, Henrik A Steinbrecher, Robert A Wheeler|
|Paediatric Cardiac Surgery Manual for Perioperative Nurses||Edith D Jonkman|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Job Prospects
- Candidates who completed the MCh in Paediatric Surgery have opened up several doors for their career and may get jobs in universities and colleges and work their way up based on the opportunities that come their way.
- Post Graduates can enter any industry such as Research and medical institutes, military hospitals, private hospitals, etc.
Some of the most common job profiles that an MCh in Paediatric Surgery student can opt for along with the job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Paediatrician||The job of a pediatrician is to explain health and behavioral issues to parents and inform them of the next phase of the child's growth and the work with the patients whose age ranges from birth to 21 years old. Their work also includes discussing treatment plans with parents and recommending services that can assist families facing these situations.||INR 13 Lakhs|
|Pediatric Intensivist||The job of a paediatric intensivist is to coordinate the care of the children who are provided by a team of doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals. They professionally care for children who are sick using medical practice.||INR 12 Lakhs|
|Senior Resident||The work of a senior resident is to attend ward rounds with consulting staff and remain available to discuss patient treatment plans. Their work also includes performing clinical procedures as requested by consulting medical staff and nursing staff and recording medical histories, performing physical examinations and interpreting diagnostic studies.||INR 7 Lakhs|
|General Physicians||General Physicians are highly-trained specialists who provide a range of non-surgical health care to adult patients and they can find themselves dealing with a huge range of different ailments, injuries, and illnesses.||INR 10 Lakhs|
MCh Paediatric Surgery: Scope
Master of Chirurgiae (Paediatric Surgery) postgraduates can prefer the jobs on completion of this program or can go for higher education. The most popular choices of education on completion of an M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery, degrees are as follows.
- Join Large Hospital: A large number of post-graduate students choose to join a demanding or large hospital. As MCH is an extremely advanced and selective postgraduate degree, thus a candidate can earn a huge amount of money if they choose to work in a hospital.
- Fellowship Program: Another route that postgraduate students can opt to go for is to go for a fellowship program if they have the courage and time to study.
MCh Paediatric Surgery: FAQs
Ques. What is the course duration of the M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. Which entrance examinations are conducted to get admission to the M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. What is the educational qualification that is required to get admission to the M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. What is the admission procedure to get admission to the M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. What is the average fee for the course M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery course in Indian colleges/universities?
Ques. What are the top institutes to pursue an M.Ch in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. What is taught in M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery?
Ques. What are the top job opportunities after completing the M.Ch.in Paediatric Surgery course?
Ques. What is the average starting salary after completing the Masters of Chirurgiae (Paediatric Surgery) course?
Ques. What are the top recruiting companies after completing the M.Ch. in Paediatric Surgery course?