Master of Communication & Journalism is a 2-year post-graduate program in mass communication. The study of MCJ master’s course includes Journalism, Film, Media, Mass Communication categories, and sub-category Journalism.
MCJ Course covers all forms of media from newspaper to television including news headlines to film scripts. Sub-disciplines of the MCJ program broadly consist of the following components are Copywriting, Print Journalism, Creative Problem-Solving Skills, Media & Society etc
MCJ eligibility is that the student must have aggregate of 50% or 60%. There may be variations in the eligibility criteria of different institutions.
MCJ Entrance exams are also conducted separately by institutions. Merit list is prepared on the basis of qualifying score and fulfilling above mentioned eligibility criteria. An entrance exam is followed by Counseling, GD, and PI. Various private and government institutions offer the course with an annual fee ranging between INR 10,000 to 5 lakhs.
See More: Journalism Courses after 12th
Master degree holders can secure positions in different media platforms such as Magazines and Journals, Radio Telecasting Agencies, TV channels, websites, and others. They are eligible for job profiles like Editor, Correspondent, Content Writer, Art Director, Business writer, Public Relations Manager etc
The average package is highly fluctuating based on skill and availability of on-campus placement opportunities. The average package may vary from INR 2,00,000-3,00,000 Per Annum to 12 lakhs PA.
One can opt for a Doctoral degree after receiving a master’s degree in mass communication and journalism. They can further choose research or teaching as professors of media communication at universities.
Master of Communication and Journalism: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Full-Form||Master of Communication and Journalism|
|Examination Type||Semester/Yearly ( Institute Dependent)|
|Admission Process||Through Entrance Exams and GD/PI|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000-5,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 2 lakhs to 12 lakhs Per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||India Today Group, Hindustan Times, Indian Express, CNN, NDTV, CNBC, Accenture, Doordarshan, Wizcraft Entertainment, Balaji Telefilms, Infosys, Wipro, Oracle, Adobe, Disney Entertainments, etc.|
|Job Positions||Public Relations Manager, Business Writer, Cartoonist, TV anchor, Script Writer, Public Affairs Manager, Event Manager, Broadcast Journalist, Ad copywriter, and many more.|
Master of Communication & Journalism: Admission Procedure
Admission to Govt. or Private institutions of Mass Communication and journalism in India are based on the merit secured in the Entrance Exam of the respective University/Institution. The counselling process includes Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI) rounds.
One of the famous Entrance exams for MCJ degree in India is the Central Universities Common Entrance Test. Following are the steps to fill the examination application form :
- Application Mode: Via online mode after the application is available.
- Fill Online Application Form: Fill in the complete form including important information like phone no. and email id. Choose the centre/city for examination.
- Application Fee: Pay the form fee online.
- Download CUCET Admit Card.
- Appear in CUCET Exam: Exam is a pen-paper test of 2 hours duration and 100 marks.
- Results: Results are announced on the official website.
- Counselling Process: Qualified candidates are eligible for the counselling process. Candidates are required to fill the participating university forms for admission to Master of Communication and Journalism.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Eligibility criteria
The eligibility criteria of some institutes may differ from the normal. The basic criteria for admission to a postgraduate degree program of Mass Communication and Journalism is as follows:
- Candidates must possess an undergraduate degree in any discipline from a recognized institute with a minimum aggregate of 50%.
- For reserved categories ( SC/ST/OBC), the minimum aggregate score of 45% at graduation is eligible.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Entrance Exams
Some institutes are offering MCJ degree on the basis of candidate’s score in their respective University Entrance Exams. There are some National level examinations that provide students to enrol in the participating university of their choice after qualifying.
Popular Entrance Exams for enrolling in mass communication and journalism master’s degree are:
- JMI Mass Communication Entrance Exam: Jamia Millia Islamia conducts an entrance test for admission to various UG & PG courses of participating Colleges/Departments. “AJ Kidwai Mass Communication Research Centre” accepts admissions to Master of Communication and Journalism programs on a merit basis. Students scoring more than 40% are eligible for the PI round.
- WLCI, All India Combined Entrance Test (AICET): WLCI conducts an all-India level entrance exam in two phases, CAT (Creative Ability Test) & GAT(General Ability Test). The merit students are admitted to several WLCI institutes like Surat, Mumbai, Bangalore, etc.
- SIMC MA (MC) Entrance Exam: The topmost institute in evaluation ranking of India Today conducts Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication entrance exam to facilitate student’s admission. Varsity announced the SIMC MA Entrance exam on Feb 07, 2021. The exam shall be conducted online of 150 marks without negative marking and is of two hours duration.
The table below mentions important dates of known Entrance Exams:
|Exam Name||Application Date||Exam Date||Mode|
|SIMS MA Entrance Test 2021||October 27, 2020||February 07, 2021||Online|
|WLCI (Atitude Test 2021)||To be announced||To be announced||Written Test|
|MET 2021||December 11, 2020 (End Date)||To be announced||Online|
|CUCET 2021||March 2021||Last Week of April 2021 (Tentatively)||Offline|
|Asian College of Journalism Exam||Last Week of February 2021||May 2021||Online & Offline|
How to prepare for the Entrance Exam?
The following points can be considered while preparing for Post Graduation entrance examinations to secure better merits:
- Start preparing before graduation for higher studies entrance exams. Revise thoroughly the recurring syllabus of UG on exam level.
- Stay Updated. Keep in touch with paper and electronicMedia for the latest news and developments. Business & Political Magazines can help a lot. Make your own notes highlighting keywords and phrase information in shorter formats.
- Refer to Entrance Exam Preparation Books. Various publications like Arihant Publication, Manorama release a set of previous year question papers, and mock tests along with answers to help students know the pattern of examination.
- Be curious about information. Develop a sense of curiosity and problem-solving attitude towards daily issues or behaviours. Journalism comprises confidence, communication, observation, and judgment-making skill.
Master of Communication & Journalism: What is it About?
Different colleges are offering a Master degree in several forms:
- Master of Science in Mass Communications
- Master of Arts in Mass Communication
- Master of Mass Communications.
- Master of Journalism and Mass Communication (M.J.M.C)
Details of course in brief are:
- Mass Communication and Journalism master program enables a graduate in any discipline to follow their passion for wide media-related services.
- Components of MCJ degree are various Research, Writing, Communicating, Analytical fields that widens the boundaries of placements.
- Master of Communication and Journalism specializations are Print Journalism, Advertising & Broadcasting, and Photojournalism.
How to get Admission to Top Masters of Communication and Journalism College?
- Prepare for the Aptitude Test by practising more and more questions. Most of the exams assess students on the basis of Analytical, Communication, and Quantitative Abilities.
- Fact Check. It is very important to check all the latest updates in the field of mass media and communication. General Knowledge of the student plays a major role in evaluation.
- Prepare Current Affair notes. The level of exams in various universities gets tougher with this section. Study smart.
- Prepare for Personal Interview rounds. In subsequent rounds of counselling your communication and presenting skills are measured. Prepare yourself in advance.
- Never miss an alert of important dates from the university or institute of your choice. Otherwise, you may lose the chance of appearing in respective university exams.
Why study Master of Communication and Journalism?
Doing post-graduation in Communication and Journalism can be a choice after pursuing a Bachelor's degree in the same or a different stream. Some reasons to opt-out this course are listed as:
- Passion: If you possess an aptitude for observation and analysis. You want to work with Confidence & Strict Deadlines. You find your comfort in expressing and researching best out of the mud.
- Skills: While pursuing the degree you inculcate mass media skills related to Business, Print Media, Digital and Audio Editing, Advertising, Film Production, Communication skills, and more.
- Influence Others: If you want to be an Influencer in society then this course best defines you by your writings, actions, communication, relations, and much more.
- Platform: After completing a master’s degree one is compatible with jobs on several media platforms. By Branded Recruiters, you reach out to the world and convey your thoughts and opinion.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Top Colleges
Top colleges offering the Master of Communication and Journalism degree, as per India Today ranking (2020).
|Top College||Average Annual Fees|
|Symbiosis Institute of Media & Communication||INR 1,90,000|
|Lady Shri Ram College for Women||INR 19,000|
|Amity School of Communication||INR 97,000|
|Delhi College of Arts & Commerce||INR 10,470|
|Indraprastha College for Women||INR 23,500|
|Department of Journalism, Madras Christian College||INR 14,000|
|Institute of Mass Communication Media Technology, Kurukshetra University||INR 22120|
|Kamla Nehru College for Women, Karputhala||INR 9,900|
Master of Communication and Journalism: Course Comparisons
The confusion between these two courses can be cut from the discussion below:
Master of Communication and Journalism vs Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication
|Parameters||Master Of Communication and Journalism||Diploma in Journalism and Mass Communication|
|Duration||2 years||1 year|
|Description||It is a post-graduate program focused on the study of media and communication with theoretical as well as practical knowledge of different forms of media.||It is the Fundamental course of Mass Communication and Journalism best suited for the ones having a passion for writing, creativity.|
|Admission Criteria||Entrance Exams + GD + PI||Merit List|
|Eligibility||Graduation degree with a minimum aggregate of 50-60%||10+2 with relevant subject choice and min 45%|
|Course Fee||INR 10,000-5,00,000||INR 14,000-80,00,000|
|Job Options||Correspondent, Journalist, Ad copywriters, Business Writers, Cartoonist, Film Producer/Director, Editor, etc.||Translator, Content Writer, Radio Industry, Communication Industries, etc.|
Master of Communication and Journalism: Distance Education
Some colleges offer a Mass Communication and Journalism master's degree in the form of Distance Education. However, due to the practical aspect of the course, it's not popular.
MCJ degree is provided with a distance learning program in the following Institutes:
- Barkatullah Vishwavidyalaya University: Located in Bhopal, Madhyapradesh. The university offers a post-graduation Mass Communication and Journalism Distance Education Course. The minimum eligibility criteria of the varsity is a Graduation certificate from a recognized board. The course is of 2 years duration and the average annual fee is INR 9,795.
- Kakatiya University: School of Distance Learning and Continuing Education (SDLCEKU) Situated in Warangal, Andhra Pradesh. The eligibility criteria is a Graduation certificate in Journalism. Students have to fill an online form at the official portal of KU college paying a required application fee. The first-year fee of MCJ program is INR 7,500.
- Potti Sreeramulu Telugu University: Located in Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh. The university offers a 1 year PG Diploma in Film Making. Students applying for the course have to pay INR 7,000 for the year and the examination fee.
Master of Communication & Journalism: Course Syllabus
The syllabus is in accordance with the general outline of the course for semester-wise distribution. Specialization may have different sets of subjects to be taught.
Here is the distribution of the syllabus for the MCJ program in 4 semesters:
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Introduction to Communication||Introduction to Public Relations|
|Introduction to Journalism||Introduction to Media Technologies|
|Introduction to Mass Communication||Journalistic Reporting and Editing|
|Introduction to Advertising||Advertising Design & Principles|
|Introduction to Computers||Introduction to Printing Technologies|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Introduction to Newspaper Management||Introduction to Photography|
|Introduction to Production Technologies||Mass Communication Ethics & Laws|
|Introduction to Copywriting, Visualization & Campaign Effectiveness||Introduction to Communication Research|
|Introduction to Mass Communication & Society||New Media Technologies|
|Projects, Dissertation, viva-voce, Internship||-|
Electives list for the course can be mentioned broadly as:
- Political Communication
- Creative Communication
- Global Communication
- Television News and Studio Production
- Basics of Audio and Video Production
- Brand Planning and Management
- Print Journalism
- Organizational Communication
- Web Design and Production
- History of World and Indian Cinema
- Business Ethics
- Web Technologies and E-Commerce
- Computer Hardware and Networking
Master of Communication and Journalism: Recommended Books
Books to be preferred when you are into Mass Communication and Journalism:
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Mass Communication in India||Keval J. Kumar|
|Modern Journalism||NC Pant|
|Guide for Journalism and Mass Communication||Arihant Experts|
|Writing and Reporting News||Carole Rich|
|The Elements of Journalism||Bill Kovach and Tom Rosenstiel|
Master of Communication and Journalism: Job Profile
Post Graduation degree holders in Mass Communication and Journalism can enter into a variety of areas including Press Media, Newspaper, Central Information Services, Magazines Publications, Film Industry, Radio Telecasting, Internet Services, etc.
- Placement variations would be focused with respect to change in the ranking status of Institutes. Students with a good backup of on-campus placements surely need to master the skill for great recruitment.
- One can choose the master’s program offered by Foreign Universities as well as the Journalism Colleges of the USA, Canada, Australia providing a quality education with high placement offers around the world.
Table showing most sought-after Job Profiles.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary Offered|
|Public Relation Manager||It's a job profile describing the relations of employer or customer at its best of any particular unit by establishing great communication programs keeping their point of view in mind. These are responsible to carry out the budget for the Public Relations Department.||INR 4,84,000|
|TV Director/Producer||They are responsible to check lights, sounds, and various technical aspects of a filming set. They are responsible to cooperate with unit members and actors for setting the best image out of the writer’s thought and Script.||INR 12,00,000 - INR 13,50,000|
|Scriptwriter||The script essayist is indulged in writing sequences of TV serials/films. They have the responsibility to make the plot come alive with proper delivery phrases.||INR 6,00,000 - INR 7,00,000|
|Business Writer||From business proposals to stock market reports, is the work of a Business Writer. They make plans for companies/organizations.||INR 4,66,000|
Master of Communication & Journalism: Future Scope
To hit the high-profile job after completing a Master of Communication and Journalism, One must start planning it much ahead of time. It’s the matter of the institute from which you have qualified otherwise there are many who are working really hard to get placed and get an average salary package according to their calibre.
- PhD in Journalism and Mass Communication: After Completing MCJ course one can go for a Doctoral degree in the Mass Communication field. Higher studies make student’s base firm and make them eligible for a better grant than any Master’s degree holder in the same field.
- Reputed Institutes: Passing out from institutes like Jamia, Symbiosis, IIMC has a different significance in your placement company and offer. Mass Communication professionals may get a package ranging from INR 2,50,000 to INR 12,00,000 and even more. Being from a not so renowned Institute you may struggle with an average placement starting from INR 25,000 to INR 50,000. The Salary scale increases with your experience in the sector.
- Job Prospects: It has a much wider and attractive scope list for getting placed. One can choose from Radio, Television, Films, etc. You may be assigned various roles of Journalism, Audio/Video Editing, Advertisement Expert, Film Maker, Public Relations Manager, Editor, Screenwriter, and so on.
- Demand in the Market: With the advancement in the field of technology, there is always a scarcity of talented and trained professionals in Mass Communication. The news and Entertainment Industries are always willing to take new emerging talent. The interference of International Trade in the Media Sector is revolutionary and will open up new jobs supported by foreign investment.
Master of Communication & Journalism: FAQ’s
Some of the most frequently asked questions related to Master of Communication and Journalism.
Ques. What is the full form of MCJ course?
Ques. What are the placement options after completion of MCJ course?
Ques. What is the duration of the Masters of Communication and Journalism?
Ques. If MCJ degree is provided through Distance Education mode?
Ques. What is the admission criteria for admission to the Master of Communication and Journalism course?
Ques. Is MCJ a good career option in India?
Ques. What is the difficulty level of MCJ course?
Ques. What is the average Fee of Master of Communication and Journalism course in India?
Ques. What is the minimum Eligibility criteria for enrolling in a Master of Communication and Journalism degree program?
Ques. What are Top Recruiting Companies for Master of Communication and Journalism Degree holders?