Master of Computer Application (MCA) is a three year master degree course in computer applications. Any graduate student who has passed or appearing in final year exam is eligible for MCA course. BCA qualified students more preferably opt for this course. MCA is considered equivalent to engineering. MCA graduates are same as software engineers. MCA course is very popular after Computer Science in engineering. There are about 80000 seats available in about 1500 colleges offering MCA course across India.
After earning an MCA degree from a reputed Institute, there is plethora of job opportunities available in the market. There is a wide scope for MCA graduates in government as well as private sector. As a fresher, an MCA professional can expect anything around 2.4 to 3.4 lakhs. Top companies hiring MCA graduates are Accenture, Infosys, Wipro, TCS, Cognizant, IBM, American Express, HCL, HP etc.
Eligibility Of the Master of Computer Applications [M.C.A]
- Graduation in any stream is the basic eligibility for MCA. The eligibility for qualifying marks in graduation differs from institute to institute. Most of the institutes require 45 to 50 % aggregate in qualifying exam for taking admission. Reserved categories get some relaxation in aggregate percentage.
- Apart from this there is another prerequisite for taking admission in MCA degree; one must have studied Mathematics in 10+2 as a compulsory subject.
How to Get Admission in Master of Computer Applications [M.C.A]
Admission to MCA can be obtained either on the basis of entrance exams or directly on qualifying exam merit basis. Following are the general ways of admission in MCA program –
- Direct Admission- Direct admissions are done on the basis of merit in qualifying exam. Some institutes also provide admission on management quota, which is also way of direct admission. Management quota seats in every college are reserved. Fee is generally higher for these seats than general seats.
- Entrance Test- After taking entrance test conducted by various universities, qualified students are called for counselling. Counselling is conducted for seat allotment in various colleges under that university. Admission is done after allotment of seat in counselling.
Entrance tests for MCA admissions
There are several state level/university level entrance tests for admissions.
- IPUCET- Conducted by GGSIP University for admission to university and its affiliated colleges in Delhi.
- TANCET- Conducted by Anna University for admission to university campus and other colleges in Tamil Nadu.
- NIMCET- NIMCET is NIT MCA Common Entrance test, a National Level Test conducted by NITs for admission in to their MCA programs.
- BIT MCA Entrance Test- Conducted by BIT Mesra for admissions to its MCA program.
- WBJEE- Conducted by West Bengal Joint Entrance Exam Board for admission in all technical institutes of West Bengal
- UPSEE- Conducted by Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam University (Formerly UPTU) for admissions to various colleges in Uttar Pradesh.