MDS Orthodontics is a PG dental course of 3 years in Dentistry discipline. It is concerned with the study and treatment of malocclusions (improper bites) which are caused due to improper jaw relationship, teeth irregularity of both.
Candidates who have completed their Bachelor of Dental Science with 50% aggregate marks from a recognized university are eligible for this course. Admission to MDS is provided through a relevant entrance examination conducted at any State, University and National Levels.
Top Colleges which provides Master of dental surgery in Orthodontics are:
|College Name||Average Annual Fees|
|King George’s Medical University||INR 1.08 lakhs|
|PT Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post graduate Institute of Medical Sciences||INR 21,153|
|Institute of Medical Science||INR 50,000|
|Nair Hospital Dental College||INR 2.5 lakhs|
|Kothiwal Dental College and Research Centre||INR 1.8 lakhs|
The average fees structure for MDS in India is around INR 2 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs and it depends on the criteria and course offered by different colleges and universities. After completing the MDS course, different job profiles are available like Dental assistant, medical consultant, oral pathologist, dental surgeon, dentist hygienist, general practitioner and so on.
MDS Orthodontics: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Full-Form||Master of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics|
|Examination type||Online (Computer Based Test)|
|Eligibility||Bachelors of Dental Surgery or equivalent degree from a recognized institution|
|Admission Process||Entrance test, followed by Counseling|
|Course Fee||INR 5 Lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 Lakhs to INR 12 lakhs per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Ganga Hospital, UPSC, AIIMS, Apollo, Fortis etc.|
|Job Positions||Dental assistant, medical consultant, oral pathologist, dental surgeon , dentist hygienist, general practitioner|
MDS Orthodontics: Admission Process
- Admission to MDS is based on the Entrance test conducted at State level or National Level.
- Candidates need to register them for the entrance exam released by the university or college.
- Then they have to fill the form online with the registration fees through the online payment mode before the last date.
- Candidates need to wait for their admit card which will be released by the conducting body before 15 days of the exam.
- After the exam is conducted, results will be declared.
- Based on their rank, the merit list is prepared for the counseling process.
- Candidates will be called for counseling on a particular date for documentation and further admission process.
MDS Orthodontics: Eligibility Criteria
- The Eligibility criteria for MDS are that the candidate should have cleared 12th with science stream and biology as one of the main subjects and passed with 55% marks in aggregate from a recognized institution.
- Candidates should have a clear Bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in Dental with a minimum of 50% marks from a recognized board.
- The bachelor’s degree should have been recognized by the Dental Council of India (MCI).
MDS Orthodontics: Entrance Exams
Entrance exam conducted for admission in Master of Dental Surgery are:
- INI CET: All India Institute of medical science, New Delhi conducts this entrance for the Master of Dental Surgery through an Online Mode of Application. The exam is a Computer Based Test for 3 hours 30 minutes for 90 Questions. The application fee is INR 1500 for students of General category.
- NEET MDS: NEET MDS is conducted by National Board of Examination annually through an online mode of application The examination is in Online mode for 240 questions for a duration of 3 hours.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|INI CET||AIIMS New Delhi||May 2021||Online (Computer Based)|
|NEET MDS||National Board of Examination||May 15, 2021||Online ( Computer Based)|
MDS Orthodontics: Tips to Crack Entrance Exams
- Time Management: The entire duration of examination has to be divided in a way that the important topics that carry a higher weightage should be completed first. Topics like Dental anatomy and Endodontic are of maximum importance.
- Solve previous years questions paper: This will help to understand the type of questions asked in Exam and also to crosscheck your own understanding and knowledge for the exam.
- Mock Tests: Solving Mock tests on a continuous pattern helps to perform effectively in the examination and to finish the exam on time.
- Revision: Revisions of all the important topics are important before the exam.
- Try to attempt correct questions and avoid the questions which are not sure as there is a negative marking for every incorrect answer.
See more: Top MDS Colleges in India
MDS Orthodontics: Tips to get Good College
- Scoring maximum marks in the entrance exam will help to get a good college.
- Before applying, candidates should do a proper research for the colleges according to their interested course and stream.
- During the counseling session, all the doubts related to the subjects, entrance exam, criteria for selection should be cleared.
- Fill the online registration details correctly and as soon as possible.
- All the educational and personal details should be given correctly and precisely, to avoid any kind of rejection.
Checkout: Jobs after MDS Courses
MDS Orthodontics: What is it About?
- MDS Orthodontics deals with the study of dental and oral health.
- It trains the candidate to deal with the practical issues related to our teeth and oral health.
- Provides proper training with the senior practitioners and specialists in real life situations.
- Different topics starting from basics to advanced level are studied under the course.
- Topics like Dental Materials, Biostatistics Physiology, Genetics, Etiology and Classification of Malocclusion and so on are taught.
- It also connects all the theoretical and practical learning of graduations and helps to understand all the topics and concepts under expert guidance.
MDS Orthodontics: Course Advantages
- MDS Orthodontics aspirants get in-depth knowledge as well as hands-on experience in solving real-life medical problems associated with oral and dental ailments through various specializations throughout the course.
- MDS Orthodontics is a vast field of study, so to start your career as an expert on this topic, a student needs to achieve professional proficiency by undergoing laboratory training, OPD duties, internship, practical classes, seminars, lectures, etc.
- Aspirants, who wish to build a career upon the medical field of dental and oral specialty, should pursue this course to be affiliated as an expert.
- In the future, Ph.D. in Dental Surgery is a promising step for MDS ORthodontics candidates. It will help in increasing the value of the candidate and the extent of career prospects to a great extent.
MDS Orthodontics: Course Comparison
Below given is the MDS in Orthodontics is comparison between MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology on the basis of duration, course overview, top job profiles related to the course and other important parameter to know the difference between different specializations of Dental Surgery
|Parameters||Masters of Dental Surgery in Orthodontics||Masters of Dental Surgery in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology|
|Overview||MDS in Orthodontics is a 3 years post graduation course which deals with study of dental and oral health in humans.||MDS in Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology deals with identification and management of diseases that affect the oral and maxillofacial regions of humans.|
|Duration||3 years||3 years|
|Eligibility||55% in Bachelors of Dental Surgery||55% in Bachelors of Dental Surgery|
|Admission Process||Entrance based||Entrance Based / Merit Based|
|Job Roles||Teachers, Dental assistant, Medical Consultant, Oral pathologist or Dental Surgeon, lecturer etc||Consultant, Dental Surgeon, Professor, Lecturer etc.|
|Average Fees||INR 5 lakhs to INR 20 Lakhs||INR 2 lakhs to INR 10 Lakhs|
|Average Salary||INR 3 lakhs to INR 12 Lakhs||INR 5000 to INR 3 Lakhs|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Ganga Ram Hospital, AIIMS, Apollo Hospital, Fortis Hospital, Colleges, Universities etc||Military Specialty Hospital, Community Healthcare, Dispensaries etc.|
Checkout: Top Colleges Offering MDS Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
MDS Orthodontics: Top Colleges
Top Colleges of India that provides MDS in Orthodontics are listed below with ranking, average fee and package offers.
|Name of the institute||Average Fee per annum||Average Package|
|Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences||INR 5,600||INR 4 LPA|
|King George’s Medical University||INR 108,200||INR 5.1 LPA|
|PT Bhagwat Dayal Sharma Post Graduate Institute of Medical Science||INR 21,153||INR 4.8 LPA|
|Institute of Medical Science Varanasi||INR 14,326||INR 5 LPA|
|Manipal College of Dental Sciences||INR 1,760,000||INR 4.5 LPA|
|Nair Hospital Dental College||INR 70,200||INR 4.2 LPA|
|Dr. R.Ahmed Dental College and Hospital||INR 18,000||INR 3 LPA|
|Sri Ramachandra Dental College||INR 1,050,000||INR 5 LPA|
MDS Orthodontics: College Comparison
There are both government and private colleges in India that provide MDS Orthodontics courses. Here we have compared two top colleges of India that provides MDS for 3 years under different parameters:
|College Name||Maulana Azad Institute of Dental Sciences||Manipal College of Dental Sciences|
|About College||MAIDS is a government dental college in Delhi, offers both UG and PG courses under different specializations of Dental Surgery.||Manipal College of Dental Sciences, that is accredited A grade by NAAC offers UG, PG, Certificate and Diploma courses.|
|Admission process||Entrance based ( NEET-MDS)||Entrance Based/ Merit Based|
|Average fees||INR 46,800 per annum||INR 1,760,000 per annum|
|Average Placement Package||INR 4 Lakhs – INR 10 Lakhs||INR 2 Lakhs – INR 6 Lakhs|
MDS Orthodontics: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Biostatistics||Diagnosis and Treatment Planning Orthodontic History|
|Applied Research Methodology in Orthodontics||Concepts of Occlusion and esthetics|
|Applied Anatomy, Physiology, Pathology||Etiology and Classification of Malocclusion|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Clinical Orthodontics and Mechanotherapy||Orthodontics History|
|Dentofacial Orthopedics||Practices Management in Orthodontic|
|Cleft Lip and Palate Rehabilitation||Dentofacial Anomalies|
|Semester V||Semester VI|
|Clinical Orthodontics||Practice management in Orthodontics|
|Diagnostic procedures and treatment planning in orthodontics||Dentofacial Anomalies|
|Child and Adult Psychology||Etiology and Classification of malocclusion|
|Applied research methodology in Orthodontics||Applied Pharmacology|
MDS Orthodontics: Recommended Books
Below given is a list of recommended books for MDS Orthodontics:
|Name of the Book||Author|
|Essential of Complete Denture Prosthodontics||Winkler|
|Prosthodontics Treatment for Edentulous Patients||Zarb Bolender|
|Impression Techniques for Complete Denture||Bernard Levin|
|Dental Implant Prosthetics||Carl E Misch|
|TextBook of Prosthodontics||Deepak Nallaswamy|
MDS Orthodontics: Job Prospects and Career Options
After completing the 3years of Post graduation in MDS in Orthodontics, one can further apply for higher studies through research courses or can apply in different companies under different post.
- Available career options include Dental assistant, Medical Consultant, Oral Pathologist or dental surgeon, Research surgeon, lecturer, community program manager , physician etc.
- Government sector includes Public hospitals, Community centers, Dispensaries, Universities etc.
- Private sector includes Universities, Private hospitals like Apollo, Fortis, Colleges, and MNCs etc.
Below given are job profiles for MDS Orthodontics graduates along with Average Salary:
|Name of Job Profile||Average salary in INR|
|Academic Lecturer||INR 5.10 Lakhs per annum|
|Oral Pathologist||INR 5.48 Lakhs per annum|
|Dental Hygienist||INR 4.67 Lakhs per annum|
|Orthodontists||INR 6 Lakhs per annum|
|Forensics||INR 7 Lakhs per annum|
|Consultant||INR 5 Lakhs per annum|
MDS Orthodontics FAQs Future Scope
- Students after completing the maths can further apply for PhD in Orthodontics or PhD in Dental Sciences and become involved in the Research field.
- After acquiring higher degrees and gaining experiences, candidates can apply for higher ranking positions in different colleges, institutes, hospitals. Private practice is another prosperous future scope and with experience along with a degree, he or she can prosper in private practice efficiently.
- MDS graduates can also find career opportunities in the Private Dental Clinics, Dental Departments of Hospitals, Dental Clinics of Government Health Clinics, Academic Institutions, Pharmaceutical Research Centers for Oral care products sectors and many more.
MDS Orthodontics FAQs
Ques. Who is a Dental Surgeon?
Ques. What is the average salary for a Clinical Research Scientist?
Ques. What is the best branch to opt under MDS?
Ques. Is there any internship provided under Masters courses of Dental Sciences?
Ques. What is BDS?
Ques. Are there scholarships given for MDS students?
Ques. What is DDS?
Ques. What is the mode of admission of MDS courses?
Ques. What are the different specializations under Masters of Dental Sciences?
Ques. What is the average salary after completing a Ph.D course in Dental Science?