M.Ed Special Education is a 2-year postgraduate degree that comes under the Rehabilitation Council of India. The main purpose of the course is to prepare a quality educator in Disability with a strong base in research.
Since the specially-abled children may find a typical classroom session to be difficult to comprehend, they need special attention and care. The students pursuing this course will help such children to achieve a high level of personal self-sufficiency and success.
The course specializes in four areas: Hearing Impairment, Mental Retardation, Visual Impairment, and Learning Disability. Students are also taught to understand various concerns like dyslexia, ADHD, Cerebral palsy, autistic spectrum disorders, and intellectual disabilities.
Key highlights on M.Ed Special Education
Students desiring admission for M.Ed. in Special Education should have completed B.Ed. in Special Education. Admissions to the M.Ed, the Special Education course is done through various Entrance Examinations, counseling, and personal interviews.
The entrance examination can differ from state to state. There are national entrance examinations as well, which are considered for admissions. Some of the top Colleges offering M.Ed. in Special Education course are:
|NIRF Ranking 2020||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|3||Banaras Hindu University BHU Varanasi||PET 2020 conducted by BHU||INR 6,980||INR 4,50,000 per year|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia University JMI Delhi||JMI Entrance Test followed by Interview||INR 7,400||INR 2,00,000 per year|
|36||Alagappa University, Karaikudi||On the basis of marks in the final qualifying examination||INR 15,500||INR 4,80,000 per year|
|64||Panjab University PU Chandigarh||CET-PG||INR 39,400||INR 4,90,000 per year|
|99||Kurukshetra University KUK||On the basis of Merit, selection interview||INR 15,350||INR 3,60,000 per year|
The fees for the M.Ed. Special Education varies according to different universities and colleges. The average tuition fee is around INR 22,000 per year. But, depending on the university, the fees may be as low as INR 7,000 per year or may go as high as INR 40,000 per year.
|Alert: Most of the entrance exams have been postponed due to COVID-19 breakout.|
Students who complete an M.Ed Special Education course can apply for jobs like Associate Education Developer, Senior Analyst, Speech Therapist, Special Education Teacher, etc. The salaries can differ according to the seniority level.
What we notice is that a salary at the start of a career would fetch INR 25,000 to 30,000 per month. As the candidate gains experience and seniority, salaries can go up to INR 50,000 to 60,000 per month.
The graduates can also go for higher studies after completion of M.Ed. They can do a Ph.D. or M.Phil either in Special Education or any other specialization or disability.
M.Ed. Special Education Admission Process
The admission criteria for M.Ed. Special Education varies from university to university. Some universities conduct entrance tests, while others give admission on the basis of the marks gained in the final year graduation examination. There are no national-level examinations for M.Ed. Special Education. A candidate desiring admission for M.Ed. in Special Education must approach the university and check the application process.
A typical admission process for M.Ed. in Special Education is mentioned below:
- Complete B.Ed. in Special Education. Students from B.Ed. Education and B.A. may also be considered.
- Appear for the state level entrance examinations for your requisite university. For example, the Jamia Millia Islamia university conducts the JMI entrance test while Kurukshetra University provides admission on the basis of merit.
- Qualify in the entrance test and interview rounds.
- Fill up the admission forms raised by the respective university.
- Attach relevant documents, mark sheets, and certificates.
- Fill up reservation quota details, if any.
- Appear for admission rounds as per instructions given out by the university.
M.Ed Special Education Eligibility
- The candidate should have completed 10+2+3 of continuous study.
- The minimum eligibility to take admission in M.Ed. in Special Education is to complete B.Ed. in Special Education. Alternatively, candidates who have done B.Ed. in Education or B.A. and have a diploma in Special Education can also apply.
- Those students who have completed the Graduation course, or are giving the final year examinations of the graduation course can apply for the entrance test and admissions for M.Ed. in Special Education.
M.Ed Special Education Entrance Exams
There are a few institutes that conduct their own entrance exam for admission into M.Ed Special Education. Some of them are mentioned below:
- Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam: This entrance exam is conducted by the Jamia Millia Islamia University for admission into various colleges and university colleges affiliated to Jamia Millia Islamia.
- CET-PG: This entrance exam is conducted by Panjab University for admission into various PG courses offered by the institute.
- BHU-PET: This entrance examination is conducted by the Banaras Hindu University for Postgraduate courses, including M.Ed. in Special Education.
|ALERT: BHU-PET has been postponed due to the COVID-19 lockdown. The candidates are allowed to change their exam centers.|
- State Eligibility Tests: SET or SLETs are conducted each year by respective universities. These exams are arranged by the universities for students who wish to take admission in their respective universities. These are recognized where a state may have multiple universities.
Find more M.Ed Entrance Exams.
|Name of the Examination||Mode of Examination||Application Period||Date of Examination|
|Jamia Millia Islamia Entrance Exam - JMI||Offline||June 30, 2020||To be notified|
|CET-PG||Offline||July 7, 2020||July 27, 2020 - July 28, 2020|
|BHU-PET||Offline||March 21, 2020||To be notified|
|State Eligibility Test SET||-||Decided by each state individually.||-|
How to prepare for M.Ed. Special Education Entrance exams?
- The entrance examinations pattern varies for each university. The examinations are offline and paper-based.
- The exam would cover topics like Aptitude, English Comprehension, Numerical and Quantitative Reasoning, General Knowledge, Current Affairs, Language Proficiency, Analytical Abilities, Mathematical Aptitude, etc.
- The questions are in Multiple Choice Questions type. They are presented in English and Hindi language.
How to get admission to a top M.Ed. Special Education college?
The admission process to top M.Ed. Special Education colleges is a uniform procedure.
- Keep a good score and rank in B.Ed. Special Education courses.
- If you are studying B. Ed. in Education or Bachelor in Arts, then also learn Diploma courses in Elementary Education or Special Education.
- Keep a watch on various examinations related to M.Ed. Special Education.
- Since there are no National examinations for the course, give examinations for each university you would prefer to study in.
- Keep a good knowledge about aptitude, general knowledge.
- Keep a watch on the previous year's cut off marks in the entrance examinations.
- They should study from the previous year’s question papers. This will help understand the pattern of the examinations.
- Try to give mock tests, papers available online, or in your college library.
M.Ed. Special Education: What is it About?
- The M.Ed. in Special Education is a course that focuses on the skills required to teach differently-abled children and students. The focus is on students with hearing impairment, mental retardation, visual impairment, and learning disability.
- The course also teaches the students to understand and deal with certain disabilities like dyslexia, ADHD, Cerebral palsy, autistic spectrum disorders, and intellectual disabilities.
- The candidates who complete the course open up careers like Analyst, Special Education Teacher, and Business Development Analyst, etc.
- M.Ed. in Special Education is often studied along with other courses. When combined with knowledge of other fields like Engineering and technology, biomedical sciences, Arts and humanities, many new professions become available.
M.Ed. Special Education Course Highlights
M.Ed Special Education is a course that is highly required by society. The table below gives highlights of the M.Ed. Special Education course. Check here to know more.
|Full-Form||Masters in Special Education|
|Eligibility||B.Ed. Special Education/ B.Ed. with a Diploma in Special Education/ B.A. with a Diploma in Special Education|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam/ Merit-based|
|Course Fee||INR 6,000 to 40,000 per year|
|Average Salary||25000 to 30000 INR per month|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Renowned Colleges and Universities|
|Job Positions||Special Education Teacher, Associate Education Developer, Business Development Executive, Senior Analyst, etc.|
Why study M.Ed. Special Education?
- M.Ed. in Special Education is an emerging field of study. They focus on the special needs of students related to vision, hearing, understanding and learning.
- Children with impaired skills are on the rise. 1 in 100 students have impaired skills, while 1 in 8 children have neurodevelopmental concerns.
- The demand for candidates who can teach in universities and colleges with additional knowledge is favored more these days. They bring in additional ways of teaching the curriculum.
- M.Ed. in Special Education is a top-level qualification in Special Education. The course is created in such a way that the candidate can focus on specific concerns and help the students overcome the problems.
- The special education skills help to increase the bar of education standards.
- Until now differently-abled students were left behind when post-graduation and related level courses were designed. But Special Education helps to narrow down the gap and open up these fields of studies as well for the candidates.
- The course opens up a completely new form of pedagogy of churning out training courses.
- Completing a Masters level course in Special education opens up avenues of research and development in the domain. Successful candidates can also pursue a Ph.D. in related fields.
- M.Ed. Special Education vs M.Ed. Education
The following table shows a comparison between M.Ed. Special Education course and M.Ed. Education. Both the qualifications are Master level courses. The table shows the difference between the two courses.
Check out top M.Ed Colleges in India.
|Parameters||M.Ed. Special Education||M.Ed. Education|
|Full form||Masters of Education in Special Education||Masters in Education|
|Domain||Deeper and individualized focus on Hearing impairment, Mental retardation, Visual impairment, and Learning disability.||In-depth knowledge of the teaching and education sector|
|Admission Process||University level admission entrance exams/ Merit based.||Entrance exams like DUET, BHU PET, JUET, AMU Test, LU Test, MEET, etc.|
|Eligibility||B.Ed. in Special Education
B.Ed. General / B.A. with a Diploma in Special Education
|Course Fee||INR 2000 to 40,000||INR 10,000 to 50,000|
|Average starting salary||INR 3 to 8 lacs per annum||INR 4 to 5 lakhs per annum|
|Top recruiting companies||Renowned Colleges and Universities, Research and development agencies, Primary schools, Daycare centers, Government jobs, Business development centers, etc.||Penguin Random House, Tata Mc-Graw Hill, University Colleges|
|Career Job options||Special Education Teacher, Associate Education Developer, Business Development Executive, Senior Analyst, etc.||Professor, Career Counsellor, Educational Administrator, Curriculum Developer, Online Tutor, Principal|
M.Ed. Special Education Top Colleges
The table below gives a list of top colleges in India, where one can take admission for M.Ed Special Education. Find details related to fees, admission process, accreditation, and location for these colleges:
|NIRF Rank 2020||Name of college||Location||First-Year Tuition Fees||Average Salary|
|3||Banaras Hindu University||Varanasi||INR 6,980||INR 4,50,000 per year|
|10||Jamia Millia Islamia||New Delhi||INR 7,400||INR 2,00,000 per year|
|19||Andhra University||Visakhapatnam||INR 31,568||INR 2,50,000 per year|
|36||Alagappa University||Karaikudi||INR 15,500||INR 4,80,000 per year|
|37||Amity University||Noida||INR 80,000||INR 2,80,000 per year|
|64||Panjab University College||Chandigarh||INR 39,400||INR 4,90,000 per year|
|65||Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 6,526||INR 3,20,000 per year|
|99||Kurukshetra University||Kurukshetra||INR 15,350||INR 3,60,000 per year|
|Rank Band 151-200||Sardar Patel University||Vallabh Vidhyanagar||INR 5,240||INR 3,10,000 per year|
|Rank Band 101-150||Avinashilingam Institute||Coimbatore||INR 24,105||INR 1,20,000 per year|
M.Ed. Special Education College Comparison
The table below gives a comparison between the JMI University College of New Delhi and BHU College of Varanasi. Both of them provide courses in M.Ed. Special Education. Find out the difference between each college.
|Name of the College||Jamia Millia Islamia University College||Banaras Hindu University College|
|Overview||Jamia Millia Islamia is a central university established in 1920 at Aligarh. 5 years later, in 1925, it shifted to New Delhi.||BHU was established in 1898. It is established in Varanasi.|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||10||3|
|Average Fees||INR 7,400 per year||INR 6,980 per year for Indian students|
|Admission process||JMI Entrance test||BHU PET|
|Eligibility||B.A or B.Sc and 50% marks in B.Ed.(Special Education) in any of Visual Impairment or Learning Disabilities.||Must pass B.Ed. from a recognized university|
|Average Salary Package||INR 3,50,000||INR 3,30,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Infosys, Sigmoid, Cognizant, TCS, MAQ Software, etc.||Canara Bank, IDBI Bank, Bank of Baroda, HCL, Network 18, IFB, Oracle, Wipro, etc.|
M.Ed Special Education: Distance Learning
M.Ed Special Education is also available in correspondence. The candidates who prefer to get a masters degree while continuing with their work, can opt for distance learning education. In such cases colleges conduct online classes and keep sending the study materials to the students.
The admission into distance learning courses are based on the entrance test. And it is mandatory that the candidates should fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria to get admitted i.e, B.Ed in Special Education or BA with diploma in special education.
Some of the institutes that offer M.Ed Special Education via distance learning are:
M.Ed. Special Education Syllabus
The below table gives the minimum syllabus as prescribed by the Rehabilitation Council of India. The syllabus can have add on or optional courses as prescribed by individual universities and colleges.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Developments in Education and Special Education||Research Methodology and Statistics|
|Psychology of Development and Learning||Curriculum Design & Development Inclusive Education|
|Identification, Assessment and Needs of Children||Therapeutics and Assistive Devices|
|Curriculum And Teaching Strategies for Children||Practical related to disability|
|Practical related to disability||-|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Perspectives in Teacher Education||Dissertation|
|In-service & Pre-service Educational Evaluation on Adulthood and Family Issues||Field Engagement/Internship as a Teacher or Educators|
Elective courses for semester 3
|Guidance and Counselling|
|Field Engagement/Internship as a Teacher or Educators|
The following is the list of Authors in Special Education:
|Name of the book||Author|
|A Mind at a Time||Mel Levine|
|Whole Brain Teaching for Challenging Kids||Chris Biffle|
|The Complete Learning Disabilities Handbook: Ready-to-Use Strategies and Activities for Teaching Students with Learning Disabilities. Third Edition||Joan M. Harwell and Rebecca Williams Jackson|
|Using Technology to Engage Students with Learning Disabilities||Billy Krakower and Sharon LePage Plante|
|There’s a Boy in Here: Emerging from the Bonds of Autism||Judy Barron and Sean Barron|
M.Ed. Special Education Job Prospects and Career Options
M.Ed. in Special Education opens up career opportunities in the field of management, production, education, and safety. While students can pursue a Diploma in Special Education along with other domains of career, masters qualification gives options like Special Education Clinics.
Candidates can also work in various areas of employment with the qualification. Some of them are Primary schools, Daycare centers, Colleges and universities, Government jobs, Business development centers, etc.
The table below explains some of the job profiles available for candidates with qualifications in Special Education.
|Name of Job Profile||Job Description||Starting Average salary in INR|
|Special Education Teacher||A Special education teacher focuses on the development of physical learning, hearing, and visual disabilities. This enables differently-abled students to grow in their education and careers.||INR 2,44,168 per year|
|Admission Officer||The admission officer is responsible for approaching and testing potential students on the basis of specific skills required for the organization.||INR 3,50,000 per year|
|Business Development Executive||A business developer imparts their skills to judge how a product or service would be good for the overall market. They become a critic of the product and give feedback as to how a product could be improved on quality and service.||INR 2,74,184 per year|
|Associate Education Developer||This job role is responsible for crafting the curriculum and syllabus for students with learning disabilities. To make the curriculum good for students and bring different ways of approach to the course.||INR 3,25,000 per year|
|Senior Analyst / HR Generalist||Responsible for developing and monitoring different software, resources for students to excel in their study||INR 8,61,084 per year|
|Lecturer or Professor||The most important foundation career. They are responsible to conduct proper teaching at UG levels.||INR 4,63,000 per year|
This field is new and not many high-end jobs are available for M.Ed. postgraduates But as the candidate gains experience, exhibits their caliber high-end jobs become available in the vicinity.
M.Ed. Special Education Future Scope
- The scope of M.Ed. in Special Education is on the emerging side. 1 out of 100 children are having impaired skills. More to that 1 out of 8 children in India are having neurodevelopmental concerns. And within India, this domain is being researched more than what it was a few decades before.
- This is leading to more integration in the traditional fields of study and career. Integrated approaches are being preferred by many organizations and companies. As of 2020, Masters in Special Education is the highest degree being awarded by the Rehabilitation Council of India and thus through the universities and colleges. After completing M.Ed. In Special Education, one can pursue a Ph.D. in the Arts domain.
- M.Ed. Special Education jobs are much popular abroad. Working abroad required more than 1 skill in a candidate. The integrated approach is more in demand when looking for jobs out of India.
Ques. What is the scope of M.Ed. in Special Education?
Ans. The scope of M.Ed. Special Education is ever-increasing in India. One can pursue other courses along with M.Ed. in Special Education to impart their skills to the domain of Science and Development. One can also look for jobs abroad to contribute to the global community.
Ques. Would it be worth doing an M.Ed Special Education?
Ans. A Masters qualification in Special Education is, until now, the top most qualification in India. The Master’s qualification gives a lot of experience in academics itself. This experience reveals the dire need to improve the quality of education to help students with neurodevelopmental concerns. The worth of a Master’s degree lies exactly over here. There are an in-depth worth and study on improving the skills of students. Thus the qualification and 2 years invested into the degree, are completely worthwhile.
Ques. Are there international opportunities for candidates with M.Ed. in Special Education?
Ans. The need for candidates with a Master’s qualification is on the rise. Candidates who have to learn the skills and can show practical contributions and developments are well awarded good salaries and perks outside India. Multinational companies, Wellness companies, Hospitality sectors with Wellness foundation are always on the lookout for eligible candidates
Ques. Can I get admission to a Ph.D. after completing M.Ed Special Education?
Ans. In India, according to the Rehabilitation Council of India, there are no Ph.D. courses for Special Education in India. But there are possibilities outside India. One can always keep an eye for such courses.
Ques. Is there a Dual degree option available?
Ans. The RCI is coming up with two different courses. They are Integrated Bachelor of Education-Master of Education-Special Education (Intellectual Disability) - Integrated B.Ed. - M.Ed. Spl.Ed.(ID). The other course is Integrated Bachelor of Education-Master of Education-Special Education (Specific Learning Disability) - Integrated B.Ed. - M.Ed. Spl.Ed.(SLD).
Ques. What is better for a career; M.A., M.Ed. General, or M.Ed. Special Education?
Ans. Each of the fields of Master’s qualifications is significant, but with different purposes. M.A. helps to gain qualifications in literature, different subjects of study, and the history of the country. M.Ed. General helps to specialize in subjects being taught in colleges and universities. M.Ed. in Special Education brings in skills that help to improve the teaching standards. It also helps to do a proper analysis of candidates and students to understand if they are having learning difficulties, Autism spectrum, Visual concerns, and mind related problems. For such candidates, specific learning patterns need to be developed. And that is the main function of a candidate with M.Ed. in Special Education.
Ques. What are the other Master level courses conducted in consultation with the Rehabilitation Council of India?
Ans. The rehabilitation council of India was set up in 1986. Disabilities and Rehabilitation could come in various forms. Thus in accordance, the RCI came up with courses in the various domains. The following are the Masters level courses laid out by RCI and imparted through the universities and colleges in India. These are apart from the Masters in Special Education:
- Masters in Prosthetics and Orthotics
- M.Phil. Rehabilitation Psychology
- M. Phil. Clinical Psychology
- M.Sc. Audiology
- M.Sc. Speech-Language Pathology
- Master Rehabilitation Science
- M.Sc. Psycho-Social Rehabilitation
- Master Disability Rehabilitation Administration
- M.A. Social Work in Disability Studies and Action
Ques. How is life after completing M.Ed. in Special Education?
Ans. A candidate who completes M.Ed. in Special Education is considered for jobs like Analyst, Lecturer, Professor. The working hours in these professions are academic-based and thus standard working hours. Candidates can also get into personal practice and business. They can set up their own office or can work in the homes of the children. Here, a person could have a lot of traveling. With a good experience, the candidate can also apply for research or higher jobs.
Ques. What is the registration process for M.Ed Special Education at various universities?
Ans. India does not yet have a National level exam for conducting entrance exams for M.Ed. in Special Education. Thus the entrance and registration is done by university level entrance exams. Some universities give admission on the basis of B.Ed. Special Education courses. Students with B.Ed. General Education or a BA can also apply if they have done the Diploma course in Rehab and Special Education.
Ques. Are there reservation quota for SC/ST/OBC for M.Ed. in Special Education?
Ans. The reservation quota is announced by the universities per year. This is based on the decisions taken by the central and state government.