M.E. Construction Engineering and Management is a postgraduate Structural Engineering course of two years duration.
Construction Engineering and Management is a professional course that deals with the planning, designing, construction and management of infrastructures such as highways, airports, bridges, buildings, railroads, dams, and utilities.
See Also: MTech/ME Courses
Admission in ME Design courses is based on both merit and Entrance Examinations. The basic eligibility to pursue this course is BE/BTech in Construction Engineering and Management with a minimum aggregate of 50%-60% from any recognized university.
The average fees varies from INR 50,000 to INR 5,00,000 per annum. Candidates upon completion of the masters program can get employed as Project Engineer, Site Engineer, Design Engineer, Trainee Engineer, Automotive design engineer, etc. as per the interest and area chosen by them.
See Also: MTech/ME Colleges in India
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Course Highlights
|Full-Form||Master of Engineering [ME] Construction Engineering and Management|
|Admission Process||Entrance examination /On the basis of GATE/NET/ Merit list|
|Course Fee||INR 85,000 to 4.50 lakh per annum|
|Average Salary||INR 5.05 lakh per annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Organizations, MultiNational Organizations, promoters Construction Companies, etc.|
|Job Positions||Senior Manager, Consultant CRD, Regional Manager, General Manager, Tunnel Construction Engineer/Manager, Resident Construction Engineer, Construction Engineer, Technical Field Engineer, Construction Planning Engineer, Site Engineer|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Eligibility Criteria
The eligibility criteria for ME Construction Engineering and Management aspirants is not complicated and is as follows. It must be noted that the eligibility criteria will differ from various institutes.
- Candidates must have cleared BE/BTech in Construction Engineering and Management with a minimum aggregate of 50%-60% from any recognized university.
- Candidates having a Diploma in the related field from a recognized university are also eligible to apply for admissions.
- 5% moderation for the reserved category like SC/ST/OBC students.
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Admission Process
ME Construction Engineering and Management admissions are done through entrance examination mode or direct admission through quota.
Merit based Admission
- Candidates who are willing to get admission in this stream can apply to ME Construction Engineering and Management colleges by both offline and online means.
- You can either reach the official website of the institute or to this step admission office of the institute to fill the admission application form.
- Fill the application form required and upload all the necessary documents which are asked in the form.
- After completion of the process of application, go for counselling round and attend the personal interview round to get your desired college.
Entrance Based Admission
GATE, OJEE, UPSEE, TANCET, BHU PET, AP PGECET, ITM NEST, SRMJEEE PG and more are conducted for admission in the Master's programs of top colleges in India. Private institutes also conduct their own examinations or rely on the national/ state level entrance examinations.
ALERT: ITM Application form has been released. Apply HERE
What are the Top ME Construction Engineering and Management: Entrance Examinations
There are various national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission into the ME Construction Engineering and Management program.
Some of the popular ME Construction Engineering and Management entrance exams are as follows:
- GATE Entrance Exam – The exam is conducted by IISC and seven IITs in different states where IIT colleges are situated on the behalf of National Coordination Board-GATE . The GATE-2021 will be conducted for 27 subjects and the GATE score will remain valid for three years from the date of announcement of results. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.
- TANCET - It is a state level examination conducted by Anna University. The exam is usually conducted in the month of March every year. Total no. of students who took the test was 1,10,000. The exam is conducted offline but the application mode is done online. The duration of the paper is 2 hours.
- SRMJEEE- The exam will be conducted in the first or second week of April. The online registration will be closed on 31st March,2021. It is a computer based online test. The duration of the paper is 2 hours 30 minutes
A common list of MTech Entrance exams 2021 is given in the table below along with their upcoming dates:
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Dates||Exam Mode|
|GATE||IISC & IIT||Feb 06,07,13,14 , 2021||Online|
|OJEE||OJEE Committee||May 2021||Online|
|UPSEE||U.P Government||May 2021||Online & Offline|
|TANCET||Anna University||March 2021||Offline|
|BHU PET||BHU||May 2021||Online|
|AP PGECET||Andhra University||May 2021||Online|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
- Divide your schedule: Studying without a deadline isn’t something that candidates can afford, therefore they must assign their days to certain topics and finish them within the deadline.
- Keep your resources limited: It is a must for candidates to remain focused and having too many resources will only alleviate the stress. Therefore, they must research well and shortlist some resources for the study plan and stick to it. Remember, Candidates can’t cover everything from everywhere, therefore keep it simple and accurate. They can Check GATE Important Books
- Revision is the Key: Candidates should not keep revision for the last minute. They should keep revision sessions for regular intervals. They should make some crisp notes for the last minute reading and avoid unnecessary panic before the exam.
Why study ME Construction Engineering and Management?
- It is beneficial for students who want to work in construction encompassing civil and structural engineering, building services, surveying and architecture, and moving into engineering construction.
- Construction engineers are employed by a wide range of contractors and consultants and work in-house for a variety of large organizations.
- They can be employed in the work of bridges, roads, tunnels, canals, and other large structures.
- Candidates can also be involved in the production, storage, and distribution of electricity, gas, and water.
- M.E. Construction Engineering and Management is a course that deals with designing, planning, construction, and management of infrastructures like highways, bridges, airports, railroads, buildings, dams, and utilities. This course has career prospects in a wide range very valuably and career originated.
- It is beneficial for students who wish to work in construction comprising civil and structural engineering, building services, surveying, architecture, and engineering construction.
- Construction engineers are also employed in a wide range of contractors and consultants and work in house for a variety of large applications.
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Course Comparison
The ME Construction Management course seems quite similar to the ME Civil Engineering course. So, here we have drawn a comparison between the two courses showing how these courses are different from one another:
See Also: ME Civil Engineering Colleges in India
|Course Name||ME Construction Management||ME Civil Engineering|
|Course Overview||construction management is primarily on-site management of actual construction..||Civil engineering deals more with the design, planning, and analysis of a construction project|
|Admission Process||Direct admission (Merit-based) or entrance test||Direct admission (Merit-based) or entrance test|
|Average Annual Fee||INR 85,000 to 4.50 lakh per annum||INR 50,000 to 2.5 Lacs per annum|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5.05 lakh per annum||INR 3.5 LPA - INR 10 LPA per annum|
|Colleges||Cochin University of Science and Technology (CUSAT), Amity University, National Institute of Technology (NIT Warangal), etc.||BITS Pilani, IIT Bombay, IIT Delhi, Delhi Technological University, etc.|
|Top Job Profiles||Senior Manager, Consultant CRD, Regional Manager, General Manager, Tunnel Construction Engineer/Manager, Resident Construction Engineer||Construction Engineer, Structural Engineer, Building Control Surveyor, Building Service Engineer|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Top Colleges
Below given is a list of top colleges offering ME Construction Engineering and Management along with the Average fees.
|College Name||Average Fees (INR)|
|Sri Sivasubramaniya Nadar College of Engineering||INR 39,770|
|Jadavpur University||INR 19,820|
|Birla Institute of Technology & Science -Pilani||INR 80,000|
|Jamia Millia Islamia||INR 50,000|
|College of Engineering, Pune||INR 27,500|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: College Comparison
Below given is a course comparison between the top colleges offering ME Construction Engineering and Management courses in India. This comparison is on the basis of few parameters that are tabulated below in the table:
|College Name||Anna University||Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET)|
|About College||Anna University is a State University and it was established in 1978. It has been accredited with A grade by NAAC. Their popular courses include B.E, B.Tech, and MBA.||TIET is a private university which has been accredited with grade A by NAAC. It provides different courses under UG, PG and Ph.D for management, engineering and other fields.|
|Location||Tamil Nadu||Patiala, Punjab|
|NIRF Ranking 2020||14th||29th|
|Admission process||Entrance exam (TANCET)||Entrance Test (GATE)|
|Average fees||INR 60,000 per annum||INR 2.01 Lakhs per annum|
|Average Placement Package||INR 6 Lakhs per annum||INR 10 Lakhs per annum|
|Top companies that participate in placement Drive||Adobe, Amazon, Caterpillar, CISCO, COGNIZANT, INFOSYS, IBM, Mahindra & Mahindra, Maruti Suzuki etc.||Oracle, Wipro, IBM, TCS, Tata Motors, Microsoft, Samsung, TATA Projects etc|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Tips to get Best College
To get admission into a good college one needs to ensure to have scored more than 90% at the Intermediate level. Apart from this, most of the institutes provide admission to the course on the basis of entrance examinations, hence preparing well for the entrance exams is a must for an aspirant to get the best college.
Note: Before shortlisting and selecting colleges finally, they must ensure to check the placement rate of the college, method of course delivery, admission system, and the financial aid offered there.
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Syllabus
The table shows some of the topics taught in the course throughout the 4 years of education:
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Construction Planning, Scheduling and Management||Construction Methods and Equipment Management|
|Contracts, Administration and Arbitration||Safety Management in Construction|
|Life Cycle Costing of Infrastructures||Advanced Concrete Technology|
|Irrigation Water Distribution Systems||Environment & Energy Management|
|Elective II: i) Highway Projects Planning, Designing and Economic Evaluation ii) Retrofitting and Rehabilitation of Structures iii) Ports and harbor structures.||Elective II: i) Geo-techniques for Infrastructure ii) Resource Management iii) Urban Hydrology and Stormwater Management|
|Laboratory Practice I||Laboratory Practice II|
|Seminar I||Seminar II|
|Semester 3||Semester 4|
|Seminar III||Progress Seminar|
|Project Stage I||Project Stage II|
|computer application in Construction||-|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Important Books
Below given is a list of important books that are a vital part of the ME Construction Engineering and Management curriculum. Students must have these books to understand the concepts of Construction Engineering and Management with ease.
|Name of the book||Author|
|Construction Engineering and Management||S. Seetharaman|
|Construction Project Management||Kumar Neeraj Jha|
ME Construction Engineering and Management: Job Prospects
After completing the course, several employment areas are available that provide jobs to a M.E student depending on their academic performance and skills learned. Some of the areas are:
- Colleges & Universities
- Healthcare Sector
- Construction & Property Companies
- Transport and Communications Infrastructure Sectors
- Environmental Organisations
|Job Position||Average salary|
|Senior Manager||INR 7 LPA to 8 LPA|
|Tunnel Construction Engineer||INR 6 LPA to 7 LPA|
|Resident Construction Engineer||INR 8 LPA to 9 LPA|
|Construction Planning Engineer||INR 6 LPA to 7 LPA|
|Site engineer||INR 7 LPA to 8 LPA|
What are the Future Scopes of ME Construction Engineering and Management?
Apart from seeking jobs, yet another option available to students is to pursue higher education. Students can go for below mentioned higher education options:
- PhD: If a student wants to continue in the same field of education, the first program of choice is a PhD Construction Engineering and Management. It is a three to five year duration course and the eligibility criteria include having a MTech Degree in related disciplines.
See Also Top PhD Colleges in India
- MBA: A large number of engineering postgraduates prefer to go in the management field by choosing to pursue a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions are offered to this course based on the national level entrance test.
See Also Top MBA Colleges in India
ME Construction Engineering and Management: FAQs
Ques. What is the difference between construction engineers and construction managers?
Ques: Is it easy for a GATE qualified student to get admission into Master of Engineering [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management)?
Ans: Yes, if you qualify for the GATE exam, then you can take admission into the Master of Engineering [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) course from any university based on your choice and GATE score.
Ques: Is [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) a good degree to pursue?
Ques: Which are the top 3 colleges for [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) in India?
- Anna University
- Jadavpur University
- Birla Institute of Technology & Science -Pilani
Ques: What is the duration of [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) course in India?
Ques: What is the average fee for a [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) course in India?
Ques: What are some top recruiters for the [ME] (Construction Engineering and Management) graduates?
Ques: What is the salary of a Site engineer in India?