M.E. Design Engineering is a 2-year Post Graduate course in the domain of mechanical engineering with a specialization in design and development of machines, construction projects, and equipment. A minimum of 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) marks at UG level is the least which almost all the institutes desire from applying candidates in form of eligibility criterion.
Some of the popular colleges offering the course are:
- Anna University
- Andhra University
- Dr. D.Y. Patil School of Engineering
- Savitri Phule Pune University
- VIT, Vellore
The fee for the course varies between INR 75,000 to INR 3.5 Lacs in India. The variation in fee is based on the location and nature of university (that is government, state/private/deemed etc.).
M.E. Design Engineering course admissions are done on the basis of Common Entrance Test (CET) based selection process as well as merit-based selection criteria that is the percentage of marks obtained at Under Graduate level. Most of the colleges who provide admissions through CET mechanism rely on the score of National level common entrance exams like GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test for Engineering), while a select few opt for a separate entrance exam of their own (Like BITSAT HD).
The course is structured to propel design and sketching related knowledge in the context of machinery and equipment among the PG level students so as to equip them with a holistic knowledge of the subject that will enable them to take on the challenges that occur at the practical level.
Post Graduates in design engineering have a wide range of job opportunities. One can choose to work in area/domain such as Construction, Automotive industry, Aerospace industry, the Manufacturing sector, Maintenance engineering, etc. After completion of post graduation, one can opt for higher studies in the said subject or may take up job opportunities associated. The average salary ranges between INR 16,000 and 20,000 a month for a fresh pass out.
Top Colleges for Master of Engineering [ME] (Design Engineering)
M.E. Design Engineering: Course Highlights
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Minimum score of 60% (Relaxable for reserved category students) marks at UG level.|
|Admission Process||Entrance exam based/Merit-based|
|Course Fee||Between INR 75,000 to 3.5 Lacs|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 16,000 to 20,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Construction, Automotive industry, Aerospace industry, Manufacturing sector, Maintenance engineering, etc|
|Job Position||Site engineer, Design engineer, Project engineer, Service Engineer, Assistant manager, Trainee engineer etc.|
M.E. Design Engineering: What is it about?
Design engineering as a domain of study channelizes its focus on design and development of various equipment and machinery in wholesome and sophisticated manner. It helps in preparing an outlay or blueprint before the actual implementation and development of a project or manufacturing process so, as to help the executors get a working path.
When studied under the ambit of engineering with the influence of mechanical and production related engineering in the domain of design studies helps in developing a schematic outlook of actions to be taken and equipment and materials to be linked. Thus, it provides a platform or base for any such process or development to kick start in a defined and prescribed manner.
A master’s degree in the subject aims at providing that qualified and trained engineering manpower to the industry through dissipation of knowledge and skills to the students in the form of various subjects and practical modules as a part of their post-graduation academic curriculum.
M.E. Design Engineering: Top Institutes
M.E. Design Engineering is offered as course by many colleges/universities to candidates who have passed their UG or equivalent examination from a recognized state or central University..
For your reference, we have tabled down a list of various colleges/universities that are offering this course in India.
|Anna University||Madurai||INR 47,000|
|Andhra University||Vizag||INR 88,000|
|Chhattisgarh Swami Vivekananda Technical University||Bhilai||INR 63,700|
|Dr. D.Y. Patil School of Engineering||Pune||INR 73,470|
|Gujarat Technological University||Ahmadabad||INR 90,000|
|Savitri Phule Pune University||Pune||INR 60,200|
|Vasavi College of Engineering||Hyderabad||INR 90,925|
M.E. Design Engineering: Eligibility
Candidate must have passed the B.E/B.Tech or equivalent examination in Mechanical/Production/Manufacturing/Design and Development /Industrial engineering with at least 60% (relaxable for reserved category candidates) of the marks from a recognized state/private/deemed or central University
- He/She shall not be having any backlog or compartment in any of the subject/Subjects at UG level that is yet to be cleared at the time of taking admissions.
- Apart from the above-mentioned eligibility criteria’s various colleges and institutes may have their own additional criteria’s which the students would have to satisfy in order to take admission (like work experience of certain years).
- In case of reserved category students, they would have to present their reservation certificates issued by the competent authorities in order to avail the benefits applicable to them.
- Most of the Institute give admissions through Common Entrance Test (CET) (like GATE). To get admissions in these institutes candidates would have to qualify the respective entrance exam by securing minimum qualifying marks.
The eligibility criteria’s mentioned above are common to most of the universities and colleges across the country that are offering this course to the students.
M.E. Design Engineering: Admission Process
The process of admission to the course involves a common entrance test based admission process (as seen across various Universities and colleges in the country) as well as a merit-based mechanism (as seen in certain colleges).
- Most of the Universities/Colleges conduct a common entrance test for admission into M.E courses (like BITSAT HD) or take admissions through commonly held entrance exam like GATE. Hence students would have to make an application for such exams.
- Students have to qualify these exams (for which they should be eligible to appear) in order to get admission in the course.
- After the conduct of the test, a merit list of finally qualified candidates is prepared and candidates are invited for counseling cum admission process by the respective university or college.
- After counseling cum admission process final allotment of seats to the candidate takes place and the candidate is asked to deposit the fee for the course and register for the respective academic year.
Admission process would more or less be same across all the colleges and universities that are offering this course.
M.E. Design Engineering: Syllabus and Course description
The syllabus of the course is divided into 4 semesters spread over a span of two years. The syllabus of the course is divided into various subjects and practical skills that students are taught during the course of their post-graduation.
The details regarding the syllabus of the course are mentioned below so as to provide a reference to the candidates.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Applied Mathematics||Finite element methods of mechanical design|
|Concepts of Engineering Design||Vibration analysis|
|Computer Applications in Design||Mechanical design and Simulation|
|Quality Concepts in Design||Material Behavior|
|Manufacturing and Related design||Elective 2|
|Elective 1||Practical Lab|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Elective 3||Elective 5|
|Elective 4||Project Work Phase 2|
|Project work phase 1||Viva-voce|
|Theory of design concepts||-|
M.E. Design Engineering: Who Should Opt for?
- Students who have a background in the domain of Mechanical/Production/Manufacturing/Design and Development /Industrial engineering.
- Those who have a career in equipment designing in mind.
- Those who are looking for a career in production and manufacturing sector.
- Those aiming at higher studies in the domain can opt for the course.
M.E. Design Engineering: Career Prospects
M.E. Design Engineering postgraduates have plenty of options to choose from in terms of their career. One can choose to work as a Site engineer, Design engineer, Project engineer, Service Engineer, Assistant manager, Trainee engineer etc.
To provide you a holistic view of the career prospects related to the course we have tabled certain areas and the respective roles attached to the same where design engineering postgraduates can look for in terms of their career.
|Area/Domain||Role||Average Salary for Fresher’s|
|Project Engineer||Work of project engineer involves supervisory oversight of the project so, as to ensure timely completion and development.||INR 3.2-3.65 Lacs|
|Site Engineer||The job involves working on various site locations where development or installation of machinery is taking place.||INR 2.36-2.85 Lacs|
|Design Engineer||The job involves sketching out detailed blueprints defining specification and structure of equipment and machinery to be developed.||INR 2.96-3.40 Lacs|
|Trainee Engineer||The job involves working and providing assistance to a senior project lead or engineer in the team.||INR 2.44-2.54Lacs|
|Automotive design engineer||The job involves design and development of equipment used specifically in the domain of automobile manufacturing.||INR 2.33-2.63 Lacs|