Master of Engineering in Information Technology is a 2-year postgraduate degree course. It is a full-time interdisciplinary program that aims to apply core Information technology knowledge to develop stable and secure IT systems.
This course mainly deals with the skills and knowledge to identify, formulate, analyse and solve complex Information Technology problems.The course provides conceptual frameworks, methods, technologies and hands-on experience necessary to become IT specialist.
The minimum eligibility to apply for a Master of Engineering degree in Information Technology is BE/BTech degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering and a valid GATE Score in the relevant branch. Admission to the course in various colleges and universities is mainly based on the entrance exam, usually GATE, a national-level entrance exam for PG courses in engineering.
See more: Engineering Exams 2020-21
The subjects taught during the courses include Advanced Computer Mathematics, Information Storage and Retrieval, Advanced Database Management, Artificial Intelligence and Neural Networks, Internet Security, Web Services and Cloud Computing, Software Development Frameworks, etc.
Some of the top institutes offering ME in Information Technology are Panjab University, Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Sipna College of Engineering and Technology, Amravati etc
ME in Information Technology is offered in various government and private institutes. The average fees for the course ranges between INR 47,000 and 2,00,000 in various colleges and universities.
ME in Information Technology offers a wide variety of career options and job prospects. Graduates from this field have numerous job prospects in Software Companies, Data Mining, Security, Image Processing, Database, Implementation, Administration, Computer Networks, Information Security and many other areas in public and private sectors.
ME Information Technology Course Highlights
|Full form||Master of Engineering in Information Technology|
|Eligibility||BE/BTech degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate and a valid GATE Score in the relevant branch|
|Admission process||Entrance exam (GATE) followed by Counselling process|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 47,000 to 2,00,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Job Positions||Network Administrator, Information Technology Manager, Computer Support Specialist, Data Security Administrator, Database Administrator,Quality Analyst etc.|
ME Information Technology Admission Process
Admission to the course is generally done on the basis of the score obtained by a candidate in an entrance exam. Some colleges also offer admission on merit basis. The steps involved in the ME Information Technology Admission is given below:
- Submit the application form to the desired college.
- Candidates are advised to maintain a decent score in the undergraduate exams as the scores obtained in these form the basis of the entire ME admission process.
- After the successful conduction of entrance exams, colleges release their cutoff lists. Students have to check if they are eligible for admission to the course.
- If a student is found eligible, visit the college and submit all the necessary required documents.
Entrance based selection
The step-by-step procedure to apply for entrance-based admissions is provided below:
- Registration: The institutes will announce the days in due course of time. Students are required to create an account by entering basic details like email-id, phone number, etc.
- Fill application form: In this step, students have to fill the application form with the correct details.
- Submit documents: Scan and upload all the requisite documents like mark sheets, signature, photograph etc.
- Application fee: In this step, the candidates have to pay the requisite amount of application fee either online or offline.
- Download admit card: Admit card must be downloaded and printed out as it will be required on the day of the examination.
- Examination: Prepare for the entrance exam as per the latest syllabus and previous year papers.
- GD & PI: Successful candidates are then called for subsequent GD & PI rounds.
- Results: Based on candidates performance in the entrance exam followed by the GD & PI rounds, the respective admission authority will announce the result.
ME Information Technology Eligibility Criteria
The candidates applying for admission to the Master of Engineering in Information Technology course at any University/college must have the basic eligibility requirements asked by the institute.
- The candidate must have a BE/ BTech degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering from recognized Institute/ University.
- The qualifying aggregate score required is at least 60% and above.
- There is a relaxation in the qualifying aggregate score for the reserved categories in most of the institutes.
- Some colleges/universities also consider a Valid GATE score as an eligibility condition.
Popular ME Information Technology Entrance Exams
There are many national and state-level entrance exams to appear for admission to the ME Information Technology program.
Some of the top entrance exams conducted to select students are as follows:
- GATE: GATE is a national level entrance test which is conducted every year for admission into various postgraduate engineering courses offered by IITs, NITs etc.
- IPU CET: IPU CET is conducted every year by the Guru Gobind Singh Indraprastha University in order to shortlist students for various undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs.
The dates of application and examination for the entrance exams mentioned above are provided below:
|Entrance Exam||Application Period||Exam Date||Entrance Mode|
|GATE 2021||September 14 - September 30, 2020||February 6-7 & February 13-14, 2021||Online|
|IPU CET 2021||First Week of March - Fourth Week of March, 2021||Fourth Week of April - First Week of May, 2021||Online|
ME Information Technology Entrance Exam Preparation Tips
In order to score better in the entrance exam and to increase the chances for getting admission to the specific college, one needs to keep the following points in the mind while preparing for the exam:
- Prepare Strategically: Prepare an effective and a realistic routine or timetable days before the exam so that the syllabus and preparations are done in a systematic manner.
- Time Management: Time management would help in the completion of the syllabus in time and the students would be able to manage the time accordingly to attempt all the questions in the stipulated time.
- Thorough revision of Basics: The students must clear their basics related to all the subjects.
- Choose the Study Material Wisely: Do not try to prepare from all the reference books and preparation guides. Instead search and consult for the best preparation books and focus on a few only.
- Focus on Understanding of Concepts: Since engineering entrances are not theoretical, so don’t try to mug up. Instead clear your concepts to tackle the questions easily.
- Start Early: Engineering entrances sare not that easy, so start preparing early for the exam. The last 20-25 days must be for revision strictly.
- Try Last Year Question Papers: Download or buy last year question papers for the entrance exam and try to solve them as Mock test. This would help in time management for the main entrance exam.
How to get admission in a good ME Information Technology College?
In order to get admission in a good or top-ranked engineering college, one should keep the following points in mind:
- Do the research and look at the cut-offs and rankings of the top colleges offering the course. Filter out the colleges based on their rank, course fee, facilities and faculty.
- Do not follow what others are doing, be it the college preference or coachings for preparations. Follow what suits you the best.
- Since the colleges offer admission to the course on the basis of the score in the entrance exam, so prepare well and try to score your best for the best college. Be clear with the concepts related to the topics and try to understand them instead of mugging up.
- Prepare for English section and Aptitude section too as some exams include these sections. Focus on grammar and logical reasoning sections more.
- Be aware of the dates and deadlines of the admission procedure of the college in order to not miss any update.
ME Information Technology Syllabus
The syllabus of the ME in Information Technology is almost the same in most of the colleges. A semester-wise breakup of the course’s syllabus is tabulated below:
|SEMESTER I||SEMESTER II|
|Data Science||Security & Risk|
|IT Infrastructure Design||High Performance Computing|
|Advances in Software Engineering||Advance web technology|
|Department Level Optional Course-I||Department Level Optional Course-III|
|Institute Level Optional Course-I||Institute Level Optional Course-IV|
|SEMESTER III||SEMESTER IV|
Top Colleges for ME Information Technology
The table below shows the best ME Information Technology program colleges and Institutions that offers the course in Full time mode :
|Name of the College/University||Average Annual Fees|
|Panjab University, Chandigarh||INR 23,998|
|Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, Mumbai||INR 57,750|
|Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, Indore||INR 75,460|
|Sipna College Of Engineering And Technology, Amravati||INR 95,000|
|Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Goa||INR 83,550|
|Bangalore University, Karnataka||INR 59,500|
ME Information Technology College Comparison
The following table shows a comparison between the top-rated colleges offering ME in Technology in India based on their placement packages, course fee and other parameters:
|Parameter||Panjab University||Vidyalankar Institute of Technology||Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya|
|Objective||Panjab University is a central university in Punjab and is accredited with Grade A by NAAC. It offers UG, PG, Diploma, PG Diploma, Certificate, and Research Level courses.||Vidyalankar Institute of Technology(VIT) is a top engineering college and is accredited with an excellent Grade A+ by NAAC. IT offers courses such as B.E., ME and PhD in various specializations.||Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, earlier known as Indore University is top-ranked institute in MP. It has excellent Placement opportunities and offers UG, PG and professional courses.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 23,998||INR 57,750||INR 75,460|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 4,50,000||INR 4,60,000||INR 3,50,000|
ME Information Technology vs MTech Information Technology
Both ME Information Technology and MTech Information Technology are somewhat similar however, there are some differences between them.
The course comparison between ME in Information Technology and MTechin Information Technology is tabulated below:
|Parameters||ME Information Technology||MTech Information Technology|
|Duration||2 Years||2 Years|
|Focus Area||It is a theory-oriented course and emphasizes on in-depth concept clarification of facts. The course provides conceptual frameworks, methods, technologies and hands-on experience necessary to become an IT specialist.||It is an application-based engineering course and emphasizes on practical exposure of conceptual knowledge. The course involves programming languages, components of design, network administration, computer support and programming.|
|Eligibility Criteria||BE/B.Tech. degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate and a valid GATE Score in the relevant branch||BE/B.Tech. degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate and a valid GATE Score in the relevant branch|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 47,000 to 2,00,000||INR 25,000 to 2,00,000|
|Job Options||Travel Coordinator, Guest Service Coordinator, Sales Reservation Agent, Event Manager, Cabin Crew, Guest Service Officer, Executive Trainee, Hotel Operation Trainee||Computer Programmer, Software Developer, IT Specialist, Quality Analyst, Technical Consultant|
|INR 2,00,000 to 5,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to 20,00,000|
ME Information Technology Future Scopes
The successful graduates of ME Information Technology get decent placement offers or job opportunities, however, they can opt for higher education to boost their profile and widen their career opportunities.
They can opt for courses such as a Doctoral/PhD degree or Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree. The courses are described in brief below:
- Doctoral/ PhD Degree: One can go for a PhD Information Technology course, which is considered to be one of the highest educational degrees in the country. A PhD degree mainly focuses on original research, data analysis, and the evaluation of theory.
Also check Top PhD Information Technology Colleges in India here.
- MBA: Numerous engineering degree holders prefer going for the management route by choosing a PGDM or MBA course. Admissions to these courses are done on the basis of the candidate’s performance in the national level entrance exams.
- Competitive Examinations: If one wants to change his/her field of education, then he/she can go for various competitive exams for Government jobs and civil services.
ME Information Technology Job Prospects and Career Options
- ME in Information Technology offers a wide variety of career options and job prospects. Some of the job profiles for ME Information Technology graduates are Network Administrator, Information Technology Manager, Computer Support Specialist, Data Security Administrator etc.
- The successful candidates from this field have numerous job prospects in Software Companies, Data Mining, Security, Image Processing, Database, Implementation, Administration, Computer Networks and many other areas in public and private sectors.
Some of the most popular and common job profiles that a successful graduate in ME Information Technology student can opt for along with job description and salary package are mentioned in the table below:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|IT Specialist||Information Technology specialist is the one who specializes in network analysis, system administration, security and information assurance, database administration, etc. Their responsibilities include installing and configuring networks, managing databases, providing user support, etc.||INR 10,85,000|
|Database Administrator||Database administrators create and maintain databases and work in planning, installation, configuration, database design, migration, performance monitoring, security, troubleshooting, etc. They mainly focus on the performance, integrity and security of a database.||INR 4,94,600|
|Computer Support Specialist||A Computer Support Specialist undertakes the responsibility to solve the problems with software, computers, or peripherals such as printers or scanners. They analyze, troubleshoot, and evaluate computer network problems.||INR 2,93,600|
|Information Technology Manager||Information Technology Manager manages computer systems and controls and evaluates IT and electronic data operations. They also manage the IT staff. They coordinate the functions of the computer systems across the organization.||INR 12,93,100|
|Software Developer||A software developer develops and tests new softwares to meet the demands of their organization. They upgrade the existing applications and monitor their quality and performance.||INR 4,98,000|
Source: College Websites
ME Information Technology FAQs
Ques. What is the average course fee for ME in Information Technology in Indian colleges/Universities?
Ans. The course fee varies across colleges. The average fees for the course ranges between INR 47,000 and 2,00,000 in various private and public colleges and universities.
Ques. What are some of the top rated colleges for ME Information Technology?
Ans. Some of the top institutes offering ME in Information Technology are Panjab University, Vidyalankar Institute of Technology, Sipna College Of Engineering And Technology, Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Devi Ahilya Vishwavidyalaya, among others.
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility criteria for ME Information Technology?
Ans. The minimum eligibility criteria for ME Information Technology is that the candidate must have a BE/ BTech degree or any equivalent qualification in an allied branch of engineering with a minimum of 60% marks in aggregate and a valid GATE Score in the relevant branch.
Ques. What are some of the top Job profiles for a ME Information Technology Graduate?
Ans. Some of the top job profiles for ME Information Technology graduates are Network Administrator, Information Technology Manager, Computer Support Specialist, Data Security Administrator, Database Administrator, Quality Analyst, IT Specialists, Software Developer, Programmers etc.
Ques. What is the admission process for ME in Information Technology?
Ans. The admission criteria for ME in Information Technology is usually the same for almost all the engineering colleges/universities. Most of them offer the course on the basis of the score in GATE, a national-level entrance exam for PG courses in engineering.
Ques. What is the difference between ME Information Technology and MTechInformation Technology?
Ans. The basic difference lies in the fact that ME in Information Technology is a theory-oriented course and emphasizes on in-depth concept clarification of facts. Whereas, MTech Information Technology is an application-based engineering course and emphasizes practical exposure of conceptual knowledge.
Ques. What is the average salary package for the course?
Ans. The average salary package that is offered to graduates of ME in Information Technology ranges between INR 2,00,000 and 4,00,000 per annum. However, that could increase based on the skills and expertise of the individual.
Ques. Is GATE the only entrance to get admission in ME Information Technology?
Ans. Most of the colleges/universities in India offer admission to the course on the basis of score in GATE only. However, a few institutes have their institution-specific entrances for admission to the course such as Panjab University PGCET.
Ques. Can I do an MBA after ME Information Technology?
Ans. Yes, one can go for an MBA degree after the course as students from any stream or degree can opt for the course.
Ques. What are some of the highest paying jobs after ME in Information Technology?
Ans. Some of the highest paying jobs after ME in Information Technology are IT Specialist, Database Administrator, Computer Support Specialist, Information Technology Manager and Software Developer.