Master in Fashion Management, or simply MFM, is a postgraduate program of 2 years that focuses on imparting knowledge and skills required to develop industry leaders and top managers in the fashion industry.
Know More About Fashion Design Courses
The main objective of MFM course is to develop leadership and managerial skills in the field of management, marketing, merchandising, retailing specifically of the garment export, fashion, lifestyle, and retail sector.
Anyone with a Bachelor’s degree can pursue this job oriented fashion management course. Admission is based on the counselling after Entrance Exams such as NIFT MFM Exam.
This course is mainly provided by the National Institute of Fashion Technology (NIFT), but there are other colleges and universities as well that provide this course.
Below are mentioned some of the famous colleges that are preferred by the students for Master of Fashion Management course in India:
|India Today 2019 Ranking||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|1||National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||Entrance exam (NIFT-MFM) and GDPI||INR 1,95,600||INR 5,50,000|
|2||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Navi Mumbai||Entrance exam (NIFT-MFM) and GDPI||INR 1,95,600||INR 5,00,000|
|3||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||Entrance exam (NIFT-MFM) and GDPI||INR 1,95,600||INR 6,00,000|
|12||Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||English language Test + Management Aptitude test + Personal interview + Extempore||INR 1,70,000||INR 3,00,000|
|13||Indian Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||Entrance exam (NIFT-MFM) and GDPI||INR 1,95,600||INR 4,30,000|
In this course, the students have to undergo deep education in the fashion industry usually in the sectors of management, marketing, retail & export, forecasting, international marketing, international trade practices, and entrepreneurship.
The average annual fee for a Masters in Fashion Management is around INR 75,000 to INR 2,00,000.
The average salary offered after the MFM is around INR 3 Lakhs to 8 Lakhs per annum in diverse roles as managers in different fields of the fashion industry. Read MFM Jobs & Career to know more major job options.
For further studies, students can opt for a PhD in design, management or technology. They can also choose to do specialized courses to improve themselves in a particular area like Sales Management, Merchandising, Trade Marketing, Channel Management, etc.
MFM Admission Process
- Admission in MFM course is mostly done on the basis of performance in a relevant Entrance Exam like NIFT-MFM Exam 2021.
- The shortlisted candidates are called for a Group Discussion (GD) and Personal Interview (PI) round.
- Final MFM admission is done considering marks scored in the Entrance examination and the performance in GD & PI.
Any student can pursue this course if they have completed their graduation from a recognized university or college.
Students who have completed a Diploma course of minimum 3 years from NIFT are also eligible to apply for MFM degree.
MFM Entrance Examination
One of the most common entrance exams for Master in Fashion Management is NIFT MFM Exam 2021 for admission into one of the many NIFT institutes.
Other than this, colleges also accept CAT & MAT scores as well for MFM admission process.
|MFM Entrance Exams||Application Period||Exam Date||Exam Mode|
|NIFT MFM Exam 2021||December 14, 2020-January 21, 2021||February 14, 2021||Offline|
|CAT 2020||August 8, 2020-September 23,2020||November 25, 2020||Online|
|MAT 2020||March 6-June 16, 2020||June 21, 2020||Offline and Online|
How to prepare for NIFT MFM Exam 2021?
The exam consists of 150 questions that are to be attempted in the time duration of 3 hours.
There are two main parts of MFM exam:
- General Aptitude Test (GAT)
- Group Discussion & Personal Interview (GDPI)
GAT test the candidate’s Quantitative Ability, Communicative Ability, Analytical Ability and General knowledge & Current Affairs. A Case Study is also included in the GAT which is a new addition to the MFM Exam.
GDPI Round will evaluate the students on the basis of conceptual clarity, problem solving approach, interpersonal skills, leadership skills, career orientation, creative thinking etc.
Read More: NIFT MFM Exam Syllabus 2021-2022
Points to keep in mind while preparing for the NIFT MFM Exam:
- NIFT MFM Exam is a strip down version of MAT Exam, hence you can consider MAT practice books for the preparation. Otherwise, there are many preparation books available in the market which you can consider while preparing for the exam.
- Students should be aware of the syllabus and strategize their study time to cover the entire syllabus before time.
- Students should also give ample time to the Case Study section of the exam
- Give at least 10-12 timed mock tests to get comfortable with the exam pattern and type of questions.
- Solve previous years question papers as well to get a fair idea of the pattern of questions that can come in the exam.
How to get admission in a good MFM college?
- NIFT is considered to be the best option to study masters in fashion management. Hence, your main focus should be on NIFT MFM Exam.
- Give ample time to prepare for this exam, since the scores obtained in this exam will decide your admission in one of the campuses of NIFT.
- NIFT Delhi is considered one of the best NIFT institutes to study Master of Fashion Management course. Hence, knowing the cut off of each institute helps to get admission into your desired campus.
- Prepare well for the GDPI Round as well. Be confident and eloquent.
MFM: What is it About?
- Master of Fashion Management (MFM) is a 2 year postgraduate course aimed to groom the students in the field of fashion management with the help of case method, role plays, presentations, group assignments, seminars, symposiums, and talks along with regular industry interface.
- The course is a fusion of marketing and merchandising in a unique manner with a strong emphasis on management orientation that creates a versatile manager for the global fashion industry.
- Through the MFM course curriculum, students are exposed to current fashion trends and how the demand changes, innovative ways of fashion management practice, creative marketing or merchandising, technological development, business practices through industry internships and field visits.
Objective of two year MFM (Master of Fashion Management) Program:
The main objective of the MFM course is to develop managerial and leadership skills for building competitiveness of the fashion industry.
The objective is also to provide competence among young talent in the areas of marketing, merchandising, retailing, supply chain management, and garment exports in order to meet the specific skill needs of the industry.
MFM Course Highlights
Listed below are some of the major highlights of MFM degree:
|Full Form||Master of Fashion Management|
|Course Level||Post Graduate|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Eligibility||Undergraduate Degree from any Institute / University recognized by law in India|
|Admission Process||Based on counselling after clearing Entrance Tests like NIFT-MFM for different colleges.|
|Course Fee||INR 4,50,000|
|Average Starting Salary||INR 3-8 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Textile mills, Home furnishing companies , Design BPO's, Large retailers, Brand marketers, Manufacturers, Consultancy organizations, E-retailers, International Brands, Startup firms, etc.|
|Job Positions||Showroom Sales Manager, Technical Design Manager, Cutting Assistant Costume Designer, Fashion Coordinator, Fabric Quality Control Manager, Marketing Manager, Social Media Manager, Fashion Merchandiser, Export Sales Manager, etc.|
Why study MFM?
- MFM or Master of Fashion Management is a postgraduate management course especially designed to produce future managers required to meet the increasing demands of the fashion industry.
- Current and future managers are required to detect and even predict these macro-trends, to define and implement imaginative solutions, to prosper in the fast-paced world of fashion.
- Students will become increasingly familiar with the language and rules of the fashion system. They will be guided to set and perform smart research projects, grow an analytical approach, make informed decisions, develop creative and financially sustainable strategies, where the brand image matches the definition of the distribution channels and the brand/product portfolio.
- Graduates will also develop the necessary skills to become self-employed and build their own companies.
- The objective of the Master of Fashion Management (MFM) program is to prepare future managers of fashion companies, who will be able to deal with competitive global environments and to promote the exchange of experiences and best practices in the international fashion arena.
MFM vs MFTech:
MFM is a fashion management course, on the other hand, MFTech is a Fashion Technology course. Both these courses are considered one of the most pursued master courses in the field of fashion.
The table below draws some of the major differences between them:
|Full Form||Master of Fashion Management||Master of Fashion Technology|
|Eligibility||Graduation in any degree from a recognized college or institute||Graduation in BE/BTech from a recognized college or institute|
|Admission||Entrance Exams Based Admission (NIFT MFM Exam)||Entrance Exams Based Admission (NIFT MFTech Exam & GATE)|
|Course Objective||The main objective of the Master of Fashion Management course is to equip students with the skills and knowledge of management, along with marketing and merchandising that is required to fill in a variety of roles in the fashion industry.||The main objective of Master of Fashion Technology is to cultivate qualified professionals required for techno managerial roles in the fashion and allied manufacturing sector.|
|Average Fees||INR 4,50,000||INR 4,50,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3-8 LPA||INR 3-6 LPA|
|Major Job Positions||Fashion Merchandiser, Fashion Marketing Manager, Export manager, Area Sales Manager, Social Media Manager, Business Analyst, etc.||Fashion Technologist, Design Technology Manager, Fashion Critic, Fashion Quality Manager, Fashion Designer, etc.|
MFM Top Colleges
The table below shows some of the best NIFT colleges that offers MFM degree to the students who are interested to pursue this management course:
|Collegedunia Rating (out of 10)||NIFT College Name||Average Total Fees|
|9.5||NIFT Navi Mumbai||INR 4,50,000|
|9.4||NIFT New Delhi||INR 4,50,000|
|8.7||NIFT Hyderabad||INR 4,50,000|
|8.6||NIFT Kannur||INR 4,50,000|
|8.4||NIFT Bangalore||INR 4,50,000|
|8.3||NIFT Bhubaneswar||INR 4,50,000|
|8.2||NIFT Chennai||INR 4,50,000|
|8.0||NIFT Shillong||INR 4,50,000|
Apart from NIFT, there are many colleges and universities which offer masters in fashion management programs. The table below shows some of them:
|College Name||Location||Average Total Fees|
|Amity School of Fashion Technology (ASFT)||Noida||INR 3,50,000|
|International Institute Fashion Technology (IIFT)||Chandigarh||INR 4,70,000|
|Indian Institute of Fashion Technology (IIFT)||Bangalore||INR 7,00,000|
|Jaipur National University||Jaipur||INR 5,00,000|
|Mahatma Jyoti Rao Phoole University||Jaipur||INR 2,00,000|
|Pacific University||Udaipur||INR 1,50,000|
Read More: Top MFM Colleges in India 2021-2022
The table below compares the top colleges offering MFM course in India:
|College Name||National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore|
|Overview||The Delhi campus is the largest among all the NIFT and has the largest student strength. They offer 7 bachelors and 3 masters degrees.||NIFT Mumbai offers world class infrastructure and highly trained faculties. They started a craft cluster initiative to help the craftsmen with their product selling.||This NIFT campus specializes in the design, technology, and management.|
|Ranking||#1 by India Today 2019||#2 by India today 2019||#3 by India Today 2019|
|Average Annual fees||INR 1,95,600||INR 1,95,600||INR 1,95,600|
|Average Placement offer||INR 5,50,000||INR 4,30,000||INR 6,00,000|
|Top Placement Companies||Ampm Fashion Pvt. Ltd., Decathlon, Monte Carlo, Weddingz.in, Amit Aggarwal, Future Group, Raniwala Jewellers Pvt. Ltd., The BlueBeans, Blackberry, Gaurav Gupta, Tailorman||Zara, Benetton, Hidesign, Fossil, Ti-cycles, Renault, Royal Enfield, Anita Dongre, Arvind Mills, Welspun, Times of India, Hindustan Unilever, Future Group, TCS, Tata Elxsi, Titan, L&T Infotech.||99 Labels, Benetton, Calvin Klein, Dhananjay Apparels, ITC Wills Lifestyle, Shoppers Stop, Tommy Hilfiger, Marks & Spencer, Nike Inc, Zara, Puma, Gucci, Levis, Body Shop and many more.|
Return on Investment (ROI)
Below table compares some of the top colleges for Masters in Fashion Management in terms of ROI:
|College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer||ROI Rank|
|Pacific University, Jaipur||INR 75,000||INR 6,60,000||1|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, Bangalore||INR 1,95,600||INR 6,00,000||2|
|National Institute of Fashion Technology, New Delhi||INR 1,95,600||INR 5,50,000||3|
|Indian Institute of Fashion Technology, Mumbai||INR 1,95,600||INR 4,30,000||4|
|Amity School of Fashion Technology, Noida||INR 1,70,000||INR 3,00,000||5|
Source: Official College Websites
Master of Fashion Management includes major management subjects such as Marketing, HR, Operational Management, etc.
Apart from this, the MFM syllabus also includes important subjects such as:
- Basics of Fashion
- Fashion Finance & Economics
- Fashion Design Process
- Fundamentals of Entrepreneurship
- Visual Merchandising & Window Display
- Fashion Event Management, and others.
To know a semester wise break of the subjects included in the syllabus, click on Master of Fashion Management Syllabus
MFM Jobs & Career
This course of masters in fashion management is very specific towards the fashion, textile, apparel industry and its teachings help the students to develop skills that are usually required to run the companies under the fashion industry.
There are various positions that need to be managed from making the product to selling it to a customer, and this fashion management course is all about learning the skills to manage these all.
Marketing, Retailing, Export, Merchandising, etc. are some of the sectors which require fashion management professionals for proper functioning of the company or business.
Some of the common job prospects after doing Master of Fashion Management course are as follows:
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Marketing Manager||A marketing manager is responsible for supervising and helping to create the various advertising or merchandising sales campaigns that help to sell the products.||INR 7.12 LPA|
|Brand Manager||A Brand Manager job role revolves around various things. They control and manage all the ways that particular brand is exposed to the public, and also help drive advertising and marketing initiatives.||INR 10.36 LPA|
|Visual Merchandiser||A visual merchandiser is responsible for designing and developing the visual look of a retail store and the merchandise being sold.||INR 4.15 LPA|
|Export Sales Manager||An Export Sales Manager is responsible for generating and enhancing the sales of different products and merchandise products in other cities, states or countries.||INR 6.28 LPA|
|Business Development Executive||BDOs are responsible for bringing an executing business for the company in which they are employed.||INR 3.2 LPA|
|Apparel Merchandiser||An Apparel Merchandiser is an important person for a buyer and an exporter, whose main responsibility is to execute the orders perfectly as per the costing and pricing.||INR 5.21 LPA|
|Design Manager||A Design Manager is responsible for overall operations and function of a fashion company or consultancy.||INR 11.43 LPA|
Salary Trend Graph
MFM Future Scope
Master of Fashion Management is considered to be one of the best courses that yields diverse job opportunities in various fields.
Most of the students opt for manager positions in sectors such as retail, merchandise, marketing, sales, etc. but few also become fashion designers and manage their business or company.
The average MFM salary after completing masters in fashion management is around INR 4-8 LPA. In major metropolitan cities like New Delhi, Mumbai, etc. after getting fiem experience in a similar role, you can get upto INR 12-15 LPA or even more.
In terms of higher education, not many students prefer to study further as in the fashion industry experience is given much more preference than education.
But still students can go for PhD in Fashion Design since it is considered to be the highest degree in the field of fashion, and you can become an expert in a particular aspect of fashion, like fashion management, recycling, merchandising, etc.
Ques. What is Master of Fashion Management?
Ques. Which NIFT is best for MFM course?
Ques. Is Fashion Management a good career?
Ques. What is Master of Fashion Management NIFT Eligibility?
Ques. What is Master of Fashion Management NIFT Fees?
Ques. Will there be any delay in the Admission process of NIFT for MFM degree due to COVID 19?
Ques. What are the changes in the MFM course in NIFT because of COVID 19?