MHRM, or Masters in Human Resource Management, is a 2-year postgraduate degree course opted by the students who want to pursue a successful career in the human resource management field.
The minimum MHRM eligibility required is a Bachelor’s degree from a recognized college or its equivalent. Admissions are granted based on the individual’s performance in a relevant entrance exam, followed by a Group Discussion and/or Personal Interview Round.
Though Human Resource Management is sometimes referred to as "soft" management skill, while doing a job within an organization, the individuals must adopt a strong strategy to ensure that people and resources can facilitate the achievement of organizational goals.
Apart from this, there are many other colleges, institutes and universities like Kakatiya University that offer this specialized course in HR Management.
Below table lists the some of the MHRM Colleges in India as per the NIRF Ranking:
|NIRF Ranking||College Name||Entrance Exam||Average Total Fees||Average Salary|
|10||St. Xaviers College, Jaipur||MAT, CAT, XAT, CET||INR 1,11,000||INR 5-10 lakh|
|23||Rajasthan University||CET, GMAT, MAT||INR 10,350||INR 4-6 lakh|
|29||Andhra University||AUCET||INR 1,36,000||INR 4-8 lakh|
|102||Maheshwari College of Arts and Commerce||MAT, ATMA, CET, GMAT, XISS||INR 32,500||INR 3-6 lakh|
|150-200||Maharaja Sayajirao University, Baroda||CMAT||INR 1,13,000||INR 4-6 lakh|
The average fee charged by MHRM Colleges varies from INR 10,000 to 1,00,000 for a period of 2 years. Other than regular mode, students can also opt this course in a part time mode.
Some of the major MHRM subjects include Business Statistics, Management Concepts and Principles, Basics of Human Resource Management, etc. The course curriculum also includes project work and assignments, seminars, internships, classroom discussions and much more.
MHRM is considered one of the popular courses as there are lots of career opportunities that can be explored post completing the course. You can find jobs in Corporate Houses, Multinational Companies, Banking and Financial Institutions and Public and Private sector Industries.
Students can also go for teaching fields after this course. The average salary that is expected after completing MHRM course is INR 6 LPA in roles such as HR Executive, Assistant General Manager, Production Manager, among others.
MHRM Admission Process
The admission process of MHRM is mostly the same in all the colleges. Students need to meet the minimum eligibility criteria and qualify one of the many MHRM Entrance Exams such as MAT, CAT, CMAT, etc.
Other than this, students are required to fill the college application form with appropriate personal details and educational qualifications within the deadline.
The basic steps of MHRM Admissions are as follows:
Step 1: Apply for an Entrance Exam
The students need to first select the colleges where they are planning to apply for the course and check the kinds of entrance exams they are accepting for the admission process. The students can apply for those entrance exams by filling the application form online.
Students should also fill the College Application form on time to be considered for admission.
Step 2: Prepare well and give the Entrance Exam
Study well for the exam and Download the Admit card that is compulsory to appear for the exam.
Step 3: Shortlisting Process
The colleges will shortlist the eligible students for the course based on the scores achieved in the entrance exam. The cut off list will be announced by the colleges and only those students whose name makes the cut off list will be qualified to appear for the next round of admission.
Selected students will be notified via email.
Step 4: Final Admission Round
The colleges conduct different rounds aiming to test the individual’s ability and skills through:
- Group Discussion (GD)
- Written Ability Test (WAT)
- Personal Interview (PI)
The minimum eligibility to pursue MHRM is:
- A Bachelor’s degree in any discipline with at least 50% marks (5% relaxation is offered to SC/ST candidates) from any recognized university/college/institute. However, the minimum scores for this course might vary from institute to institute, which the students must cross-check at the time of applying.
- The candidates appearing for final year examinations are also eligible to apply, but they need to produce their exam scores at the time of admissions (with at least 50% marks).
Students who want to take MHRM Admission in IIT Kharagpur need to be Graduate in Engineering or must have completed Postgraduate degree in any discipline, with a minimum of 60% (55% for reserved category).
MHRM Entrance Exams
There are many entrance exams that offer admission in MHRM course. It may be university level, state level or national level. The most common exams are CAT, MAT, CMAT, GMAT, MHT CET, AUCET, etc.
Given below are some of the MHRM Entrance Exams that are considered by the colleges for MHRM admission:
Management Aptitude Test:
Management Aptitude Test (MAT) is conducted by AIMA four times in a year to grant admissions in more than 600 B-Schools across India offering MHRM course.
Graduate Management Admission Test:
Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is taken by GMAC for granting admission to almost 7,100 management courses in various Business Schools around the world. GMAT is a computerized based test and is widely accepted in many renowned Indian universities as well.
AIMS Test for Management Admission:
ATMA exam is conducted by AIMS (Association of Indian Management Schools) for granting admission to the deserving students in various management courses in private and government business schools.
Maharashtra Common Entrance Test (MAH CET) is taken by the State Common Entrance Test Cell on behalf of Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra for granting admission into MBA and MCA.
|Entrance Exam||Exam Mode||Application Period*||Exam Date*|
|CAT 2020||Computer Based exam||7 August-25, September 2020 (Tentative)||November 2020 (Tentative)|
|GMAT 2020||Computer Based||Throughout the year||As per your selection after the registration|
|MAT 2020||Online Based and Pen Paper Based||March 6- June 16, 2020||June 21, 2020|
*These dates may have been changed because of COVID 19 outbreak.
Source: AIMA, IIMCAT
How to prepare for MHRM Entrance Exams?
One of the most important steps that needs to be taken is to understand the latest exam pattern and syllabus of the entrance exam so that the preparations can be planned accordingly.
Mainly, there are three sections in almost all the entrance exams, which are:
- Verbal Reasoning and Reading Comprehension
- Logical Reasoning and Data Interpretation
- Quantitative Aptitude/ Reasoning
Apart from this, in some exams there may be an additional section of General Awareness and General Knowledge (GK). The format of all the questions will be in the MCQ format with objective type questions.
Students must devote at least 3-4 hours daily preparing for the exam in a dedicated way to score a good percentile in the exam.
What points must be kept in mind while preparing for MHRM Entrance Exams?
- Verbal Reasoning is considered as the most difficult section since this section includes Reading Comprehension, Critical Reasoning and Vocabulary. Hence, the students must devote more time to this section while preparing for the exam.
- Quantitative Ability checks the individual’s skills in Mathematics and questions related to Geometry, Mensuration, Probability, Progressions, Matrices, Permutations & Combinations, etc are asked in the exam. The students must know how to solve the questions as most of them are tricky and need utmost practice to get the concept clear. Your mental mathematics must be strong so that you can score high in this section.
- For General Awareness questions, students must have a strong knowledge of Current Affairs and Static GK will be sufficient. Questions related to the Indian and Global Environment are asked in the exam and for the same, the students must read newspapers and news articles daily.
The students must give previous year tests so that they can develop a better understanding of the type of questions asked.
For the exams that are conducted online, the aspirants must know how to complete the exam within the allotted time period and also take care that all the answers are attempted.
- Candidates are advised to take at least 8-10 Mock Tests once they are done with the preparation.
- Candidates must make sure that they get enough time for revisions as well and try to work on the weaker areas, along with strengthening stronger points.
- Last but not the least, the candidates appearing for the entrance exam are advised to stay calm and motivated. Losing hope will not help at all in scoring a good score in the MHRM entrance test.
How to Get Admission in a Top MHRM College?
- Getting admission in a top-most management college offering the MHRM course is not that easy especially when the competition is so stiff. Though with the utmost dedication, one can easily score a good percentile in one of the entrance exams like CAT, MAT or GMAT, among others.
- The students must be clear about the topics and concepts that can be asked in the entrance exam. Keeping a track of the deadlines of the entrance exams is also important so that candidates can get admission in their most preferred college.
- Stay motivated at the time of final rounds like group discussion and personal interview as the way you are presenting yourself is these tests will also be evaluated.
- Stay focused and make sure that you have adopted a strong strategy aiming to crack the entrance exam.
MHRM: What is it About?
- Master of Human Resource Management which is abbreviated as MHRM is a management course aiming to help the graduates to enter the field of human resource management & understanding the business world.
- This degree course is aimed at preparing students to take up various top level jobs in private and public sectors, along with the government sector as well. In every part of the world, the Human Resource Management graduates remain in higher demand as they are the most rewarding resources that can help in the growth of the company.
The students planning to pursue MHRM must the right skills so that they can have a profession in one of the these fields:
|Talent Management||Recruitment and Selection||HR Planning|
|Pay and Benefits||People and Culture||International HRM|
|Employee Development||Employee Relations||Consulting & Performance Management|
MHRM: Course Highlights
Given below are some of the main highlights of this program:
|Course Level||Post Graduation|
|Duration of the Course||2 years|
|Eligibility||Graduation with an aggregate of minimum marks as mentioned by the universities individually.|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exam and Merit-Based|
|Average Course Fee||INR 1,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 6,00,000 Per Annum|
|Top Recruiting Companies||Adecco, Manpower Inc., ManTech Management, ICICI Bank, Axis Bank, HDFC Bank, Syndicate Bank, Mc Kinsey, Ernst and Young Private Limited, etc.|
|Top Job Areas||Academic Institutions, HR Consultancy, Employment Law Consultancy, Banking Sector, Aviation Sector, Railways, FMCG Companies, etc.|
|Top Job Positions||Human Resource Manager, HR Executive, Assistant General Manager, Production Manager, Product Development Executive, Sales & Business Development Manager, Quality Assurance & Quality Control Manager etc.|
Why study MHRM?
There are numerous advantages of pursuing MHRM out of which a few are mentioned below:
- MHRM Program is designed to offer good knowledge on management education to the aspirants and both theoretical and practical knowledge to the students.
- The graduates can get an understanding of the real business skills that are needed while working in leading organizations.
- There are wider job opportunities that can be explored post completing the course from a renowned college or university. The graduates can get handsome salary packages post completing their course starting from INR 3 LPA that can go upto INR 12 LPA.
- Students can start their own business which is a dream for many management professionals.
- The organizations look for qualified professionals in this Human Resources so that they can help them in growing their businesses.
- Real insight into the business world and understanding of the work-related culture help the students in using the skills while working for a leading company.
- It will further open new doors of thriving career opportunities.
Beneath we are discussing few differences between MBA in HRM and Masters in HRM:
|Parameters||MBA in HRM||Masters in HRM|
|Overview||It is more focused on general business skills that assist the individuals in choosing any field of career, but mainly occupied to Human Resources||It is more focused on courses specifically relating to this field and develops skills and knowledge related to understanding organizational behavior, and trains students in the field of HR Management.|
|Skills||It imparts knowledge of all the parts of a modern business that operate and work together. The students get to learn more about financial accounting, strategic marketing, and supply-chain management along with human resource management..||Students develop the knowledge of collective bargaining, successful recruiting techniques and ways to appoint the best candidates for available positions that contribute tremendously in the development of the company.|
|Job Roles||Their job profile includes handling employee relations, payroll and benefits, and training. They also plan and direct the administrative functions of an organization.||They are mostly involved in appointing, training, and promoting employees, workforce coordination and development, and other personnel management decisions.|
|Average Annual Fees||Expensive (INR 5,00,000-12,00,000)||Less Expensive (INR 1,00,000)|
|Job Profiles||Positions such as HR Generalist, HR Assistant, Senior HR Manager are offered to the graduates.||Positions such as HR Manager, Employee Benefits Specialist etc can be considered|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 8 LPA||INR 6 LPA|
There are numerous colleges and universities that offer MHRM courses to the qualifying students, having colleges in Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, etc.
Below tables lists some of the top MHRM colleges in India.
|College Name||Location||Average Fees|
|IIT Kharagpur||Kharagpur||INR 1,50,000|
|Aligarh Muslim Univeristy (AMU)||Aligarh||INR 4,00,000|
|Maheshwari College of Arts and Commerce||Jaipur||INR 23,500|
|University of Rajasthan||Jaipur||INR 5,500|
|Kakatiya University||Warangal||INR 7,000|
|St. Xaviers College||Jaipur||INR 1,20,000|
|Acharya Nagarjuna University||Guntur||INR 50,000|
|Maharaja Sayajirao University||Vadodara||INR 1,14,000|
Know More: Top MHRM Colleges in India 2021
The table below compares some of the top MHRM Colleges considered by the students in different cities of India:
|College Name||Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||XLRI-Xavier School of Management, Jamshedpur||Indian Institute of Social Welfare and Business Management, Kolkata|
|College Overview||JBIMS is a well known management college in Maharashtra that offers many management courses including specialization in Finance.||XLRI is a top B School in India, which was established in 1949. It is well known for its management courses and the subsequent placements.||IISWBM was the first college in India that offered an MBA course. Established in 1953, it is a reputed institute that offers various management courses.|
|Ranking||#24 in NIRF Management||#7 in NIRF 2019 Ranking||#37 in NIRF Management|
|Average Fees||INR 1,53,000||INR 2,36,000||INR 4,95,000|
|Entrance Exams||MAH CET, CAT||XAT , GMAT||CAT|
|Top Recruiting Companies||McKinsey & Company, Hindustan Unilever, The Boston Consulting Group, Goldman Sachs, ICICI, etc.||The Boston Consulting Group, Accenture Strategy, Microsoft, Amazon, P&G, Aditya Birla Group, etc.||TCS, HSBC, Cognizant, Reliance Industries, Dabur, ITC, Hindalco, Philips etc.|
The first year of the course curriculum deals with core aspects like Business Statistics and Research Methodology, Management Concepts and Principles while the second year includes subjects like Strategic Management, Training and Development, etc.
The subjects might differ from college to college, but the majority of the course concepts remain the same in almost all the colleges.
A semester-wise breakup of the syllabus stating all the MHRM subjects is mentioned below.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Business Statistics and Research Methodology||Business Environment|
|Computer Applications & Comprehensive Viva||Human Resource Development|
|Human Resource Management||Industrial Relations Laws|
|Management Concepts and Principles||Organizational Behavior|
|Management of Industrial Relations||Organizational Development|
|-||Summer Training and Industrial Tour|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Human Resource Planning and Selection||Contemporary Issues of HRM|
|Management Information Systems and E-business||Empowerment and Participative Management|
|Negotiations and Union Management Relations||International Human Resource Management|
|Organizational Psychology||Management of Transformation|
|Training and Development||Project Report and Viva-voce|
|Compensation Management and Employee Welfare||Strategic Management|
More Details: MHRM Syllabus & Program Structure 2021
MHRM Jobs & Salary
Human Resource Management is an important aspect of any organization. It basically focuses on the issues of people within an organization. It also refers to all types of activities that are implemented by a firm as well as the repercussions that happen subsequently.
MHRM graduates can easily get employed within organizations post completing their studies in popular working areas such as:
On account of industrialization, many organizations and companies have now come to comprehend the significance of trained people. It is workable for PG candidates of human resource management to get employment offers from technical HR jobs to the higher-level position, for example, Director of Employment and Manager of Compensation, etc.
The table below describes some of the few job positions along with Average MHRM Salary Scale.
|Job Position||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Manager- Human Resource||Their work includes the development of the organization, maintaining good relations with the employees, etc.||INR 6.18 to 7 LPA|
|Assistant - Human Resource Management||Human Resource Management takes the charge of supporting human resources processes. They check eth candidate’s abilities, book appointments, and take interviews as well||INR 5.14 to 6.10 LPA|
|Executive Human Resource||Human Resource Executives take the responsibility of posting job ads, taking interviews, and getting in touch with the candidates||INR 6.20 to 8 LPA|
|Sales and Business Development Manager||Sales and Business Development Managers take the charge of pitching goods and services to consumers, identify the leads in the sales, and creates a healthy and professional working relationship with new clients in the industry||INR 5.70 to 7 LPA|
|Quality Control Manager||Quality Control Managers takes the charge of products that products meet the suggested level of quality and efficiency standards set by the association||INR 9.80 to 11.60 LPA|
Salary Trend Graph
Source: Glassdoor & Payscale
Similar Course: MA in Human Resource Management
The demand for the MHRM graduates is increasing day by day and all the leading companies look for the qualified professionals that can take the managerial jobs more dedicatedly.
According to a recent report, around 58% of the CEOs and entrepreneurs depend upon the analytic data prepared by the Human Resource Managers in taking future decisions that can help in the growth and expansion of the business.
The MHRM scope is very high due to its rising demand. As per a report of the US News and World Report, the HR Specialist’s job is considered to be the best business job.
Therefore, MHRM course is definitely a lucrative option that offers huge growth and numerous opportunities and candidates can expect a great career ahead.
Although MHRM is a terminal degree, to gain expertise in the field, students can opt for a higher degree and can pursue PhD in Human Resource Management to become a professional lecturer, Assistant Professor and teach in top management colleges in India.
Ques. Which course is better among MBA in Human Resource Management and Masters in Human Resource Management?
Ques. How is MHRM different from other HR programs?
Ques. What is the scope of doing Human Resource Management programs in India?
Ques. What careers can be explored post doing the MHRM course?
Ques. Which one is better Human Resource Management or Business Management?
Ques. How is the MHRM course at IIT Kharagpur?
Ques. What is the minimum eligibility of HRM?
Ques. What is the duration of the program?
Ques. What is the effect on the MHRM admission process due to COVID-19 crisis in India?