LLM Constitutional Law is a postgraduate degree that concentrates on Indian Constitutional laws and principles involved in the Indian constitution. The course is generally 2 years long, but few top colleges like National Law University and Judicial Academy Assam also offer a 1 year-long LLM course on Constitutional Law.
The minimum eligibility required for admission to LLM Constitutional Law is LLB or BA LLB or BSc LLB from a recognized college or university. The minimum marks required varies between 45% - 60% depending on the college offering LLM course.
Most of the colleges follow an entrance exam based admission process. But, few colleges also grant merit-based admission. Some common entrance exams for admission to the LLM Constitutional Law course are CLAT, TSPGLCET, etc. LLM Constitutional Law graduates can opt for MBA courses as it will help the candidate earn a higher position in the corporate sector companies.
This course is offered by most of the major law colleges in India. Some reputed universities in India also offer this course. Some top universities offering LLM Constitutional Law courses are listed below on the basis of NIRF University Ranking 2021.
|NIRF Ranking 2021||College Name||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees||Average Annual Salary|
|29||Osmania University College of Law, Hyderabad||Entrance Based||INR 3,000||INR 4,20,000|
|37||Amity University, Noida||Entrance Based||INR 1,24,000||INR 4,50,000|
|44||Gujarat University, Ahmedabad||Entrance Based||INR 1,000||INR 4,81,000|
|57||Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies, Mumbai||Entrance Based||INR 1,25,000||INR 7,00,000|
|121||Amity University, Jaipur||Entrance Based||INR 62,000||INR 3,50,000|
The average annual fees for studying LLM Constitutional Law in India varies largely depending on the type of institution you choose. It may be as low as INR 1,000 and as high as INR 1,25,000. But, on an average, most law colleges charge annual fees 8n between INR 20,000 to 75,000.
After completing LLM Constitutional Law, a candidate will get multiple career options. They can practice in the courts as private lawyers. Many Companies, law firms, Corporate Houses may also recruit them as legal advisors. The candidates will also be able to get government jobs.
The average annual salary earned by a LLM Constitutional Law candidate ranges between INR 3,00,000 to 5,00,000. The salary will largely depend on the skills of the candidates.
What is the Admission Process of LLM Constitutional Law?
Very few colleges like Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University follow merit based admission on the basis of marks at the graduation level. But the general admission process for LLM Constitutional Law course followed by most of the colleges is Entrance Based Admission.
The admission process is discussed in a stepwise manner below.
- Step 1: Application: The candidates will have to apply separately for both college and entrance exam.
- Step 2: Entrance Exam: The exam will be conducted either on online or offline mode, though most exams are conducted online. Admit cards are generally issued 10-20 days prior to the exam.
- Step 3: Results and Cutoffs: Along with the results of the exam, a cutoff list will also be released. The candidates qualifying the cutoff will be shortlisted for next round.
- Step 4: Document Verification: The shortlisted candidates will be called for document verification. The candidates will have to present their marksheets and other documents to prove their eligibility.
- Step 5: Enrollment: The candidates found eligible will be granted admission to the course.
The candidates will have to present the following documents during document verification:
- Marksheets and Pass Certificates of the qualifying examination.
- Entrance Exam Grade Card and Rank Card.
- Entrance Exam Admit Card.
- Birth Certificate or Class 10 Admit Card.
- Passport Size Photographs.
|Osmania University Admission 2020: LLM Constitutional Law Eligibility, Selection Criteria, Registration|
What is the Eligibility Criteria for LLM Constitutional Law ?
The candidates who wish to get admission to LLM Constitutional Law must complete the following eligibility criteria.
- The candidates must complete their LLB from a recognized university. Candidates with BA LLB and BSc LLB are also allowed.
- The minimum marks required in graduation varies between 45% and 60% depending on the college. But, most colleges set the minimum required marks to 50%.
- The candidates must also qualify the required entrance exam to be eligible for admission.
What are the Entrance Exams for LLM Constitutional Law?
There are various national level and state level entrance exams for admission to this course. The major entrance exams for LLM Constitutional Law are discussed below.
- CLAT: Common Law Admission Test is a national level entrance exam for admission to Law Courses in India. It is one of the most popular law entrance exams in India. All the National Law Universities take admission to their programs through the entrance exams. It is conducted by the consortium of NLUs. Along with the NLUs many reputed law colleges also accept admission through this entrance exam.
- TSPGLCET: Telangana State Postgraduate Law Common Entrance Test is conducted for granting admission to the LLM courses offered by the law colleges in Telangana state. The candidates must attain minimum 50% aggregate marks in graduation for being eligible for this exam.
- LSAT: Law School Admission Test is a global admission test conducted for Bachelor and Master degree law courses. Many colleges in India accept LSAT scores for admission.
- ULSAT: ULSAT is conducted by UPES University for admission to the various law courses offered by the University.
Some of the important dates related to these exams are listed in the table given below.
|Entrance Exam||Mode of Exam||Application Started||Last Date to Apply||Entrance Exam Date|
|CLAT||Offline||January 1, 2020||August 15, 2020||September 28, 2020|
|TSPGLCET||Offline||March 6, 2020||September 20, 2020||October 9, 2020|
|LSAT||Offline||December 6, 2019||July 10, 2020||July 19-26, 2020|
How to prepare for LLM Constitutional Law Entrance Exams?
The major LLM Constitutional Law entrance exams consist of questions from Syllabus up to the UG level. The question pattern for each exam is discussed in brief below.
- Try to complete the entire syllabus of the entrance exam at least 1 month before the exam date. This will help you get ample time for revision.
- Be thorough with the syllabus and important topics to cover so that no topic is left out.
- Work on your legal aptitude and Logical skills, as most candidates get stuck in those questions.
- Practice the CLAT Section 2 questions as much as you can so that you can improve your legal writing.
- Practice as many sample papers as you can. Try to solve them within a stipulated time period in the exam environment.
- After solving the sample papers, check your scores and note them down. This will help you in tracking your daily progress and recognising the areas for improvement.
|CLAT Syllabus, Mock Test Papers, Exam Pattern 2020||CLAT Application Process, Admit Card, Exam Centers, Eligibility 2020|
How to get Admission in Top LLM Constitutional Law Colleges?
For admission in top LLM Constitutional Law colleges, a candidate must score very good marks in Entrance Exams so that he can qualify the cutoffs of top colleges.
- The CLAT 2020 cutoffs for middle NLUs were found to lie between 90-100 marks range. For top NLUs, you will need to score above 120.
- Along with scoring well in the entrance exam, the candidates will also have to work on their legal argument and legal writing skills. This will help them to crack the personal interview, if required.
- The candidates must be careful while filling up the application form, as any wrong detail may reject your candidature.
- Try to appear confident and relaxed during the personal interview and document verification procedure. This will help you impress the interviewers.
What is it Abou LLM Constitutional Law?
LLM in Constitutional Law is one of the major LLM courses in India which involves an in-depth study of every aspect of the Indian Constitution.
- Some of the common topics included in this course are Theories and Principles of Constitutional Interpretations, System of Governance, Federalism, Independence of Judiciary, etc.
- The course also studies the complete Indian Constitution in a detailed stepwise manner.
- Along with the study of our consultation, the students will also get to compare it with the other constitutions of the world, to find out its benefits and limitations.
- LLM Constitutional Law will also train the students in Jurisprudence and Human Rights related laws along with the environment and land acquisition related laws in a bit detail.
- After completing this course, the candidates will be able to analyse the different parts of our constitution, apply them in real life scenarios and deduce conclusions from the same.
- LLM Constitutional Law graduates understand the picture, spirit and image of the constitution in real terms.
LLM Constitutional Law Course Highlights
The major highlights of the LLM Constitutional Law course have been tabulated below.
|Full-Form||Master of Laws in Constitutional Law|
|Level of Study||Postgraduate|
|Course Duration||1 - 2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor of Law|
|Admission Process||Mainly Entrance Based|
|Course Fee||INR 20,000 to 75,000|
|Average Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 5,00,000|
|Job Options||Lawyers, Legal Officers, Legal Writers, Authors, etc.|
|Areas of Employment||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc.|
Why Study LLM Constitutional Law?
LLM Constitutional Law is a major postgraduate law course with demands in multiple fields. Few advantages of the course are discussed below.
- Constitutional Law candidates get an overall idea of the various aspects of Indian constitution. As a result, they are not only offered jobs as lawyers, but as legal officers as well.
- They are hired as legal officers as they are well acquainted with the laws governing the functioning of the government and the federal system.
- Many top companies, including MNCs and Corporate Houses also hire these candidates as legal advisors.
- These candidates get both government and private job opportunities. If they do not wish to do jobs, then these candidates can also practice individually in various courts.
- The candidates with LLM Constitutional Law degree can also write for various legal journals about various constitutional related issues. They are often asked to write for the various newspapers and media channels as well.
- The average annual salary for Constitutional Law candidates ranges between INR 3,00,000 to INR 5,00,000. But, it largely varies depending on the skills of the candidates.
Course Comparison: LLM Constitutional Law vs LLM Civil Law
Constitutional Law and Civil Law are two related streams, but the actual contents of the two back are slightly different. The major differences between LLM Constitutional Law and LLM Civil Law are tabulated below.
|Parameters||LLM Constitutional Law||LLM Civil Law|
|Full Form||Master of Law in Constitutional Law||Master of Law in Civil Law|
|Overview||The degree involves topics related to Indian Government, Indian Constitution and Federal Structures. They also include subjects on human rights and independence of the judiciary in our country.||This law involves a detailed study of all the civil offences (non-criminal) offences, civil and family related cases and how to deal with these cases. This is one of the most important law courses in India.|
|Duration||1 - 2 years||1 - 2 years|
|Eligibility||Bachelor of Law||Bachelor of Law|
|Admission Process||Mainly Entrance Based||Mainly Entrance Based|
|Top Colleges||NLU Assam, Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University, Osmania University, Amity University, among others.||NLSIU Bangalore, NLIU Bhopal, Symbiosis Law School, Alliance School of Law, among others.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 20,000 to 75,000||INR 50,000 to 1,50,000|
|Job Profiles||Lawyers, Legal Officers, Legal Writers, Authors, etc.||Civil Lawyers, Advocates, Legal Writers, etc.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 3,00,000 to 5,00,000||INR 3,00,000 to 6,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc|
What are the Top Colleges for LLM Constitutional Law?
The top colleges offering LLM in Constitutional Law have been tabulated in the table below.
|College Name||Location||Admission Process||Average Annual Fees|
|National Law University and Judicial Academy||Guwahati||Through CLAT||INR 1,04,500|
|Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University||Chennai||Merit Based||INR 38,200|
|Mahatma Gandhi Law College||Hyderabad||Through TSPGLCET||INR 24,100|
|Manikchand Pahade Law College||Aurangabad||Through LLMCET conducted by BAMU||INR 13,046|
|Siddhartha Law College||Dehradun||Through CLAT||INR 1,21,500|
|Pendekanti Law College||Hyderabad||Through TSPGLCET||INR 25,050|
|Cochin University of Science and Technology||Kochi||Entrance Based||INR 7,555|
|KLE Society’s Law College||Bangalore||Through LSAT||INR 75,000|
|Osmania College of Law||Hyderabad||Entrance Based||INR 3,000|
|Sushant University||Gurgaon||Through CLAT||INR 1,83,120|
LLM Constitutional Law College Comparison
The top law colleges offering this course have been compared on the basis of duration of course, admission process, annual fees, etc.
|Parameters||National Law University and Judicial Academy||Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University||Mahatma Gandhi Law College|
|Overview||NLUJAA, also known as NLU Assam was established in 2009 The university mainly offers BA LLB and LLM courses, along with research based PhD courses.||Tamil Nadu Dr Ambedkar Law University is a major law university which looks after all the law colleges within the state||MGLC was established in 1991 by the Bhagya Nagar Education Society. It offers 3 year and 5 year long LLB courses along with LLM courses.|
|Location||Guwahati, Assam||Chennai, Tamil Nadu||Hyderabad, Telangana|
|Duration of the Course||1 year||2 years||2 years|
|Admission Process||Through CLAT Entrance Exam||Merit Based Admission||Through TSPGLCET Entrance Exam|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 1,04,500||INR 38,200||INR 24,100|
|Top Recruiters||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc||Courts, MNCs, Corporate Houses, etc|
What is the Syllabus of LLM Constitutional Law?
The table shows the cumulative syllabus for both 1 year and 2 year long LLM Constitutional Law courses in a semester wise manner.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Jurisprudence I||Research Methodology|
|Theories and Principles of Constitutional Interpretation||Comparative Constitutional Law II|
|Comparative Constitutional Law I||Federalism|
|Legal Writing||Indian Constitutional Law I|
|System of Governance||Centre State Relations in India|
|Law and Justice in a Globalising World||Independence of Judiciary|
|Expanding Horizons of Indian Constitutional Law||Indian Constitution and Affirmative Actions|
|Limited Governance and Security Legislation in India||Land Acquisition and Community Resources|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Human Rights and Duties||Dissertation|
|Jurisprudence II||Environmental Law|
|Comparative Constitutional Law II||Law of Writs and Service Matters|
|Indian Constitutional Law II||Comparative Administrative Law|
What are the Important Books for LLM Constitutional Law
Some of the important books which are essential for completing LLM Constitutional Law are listed below.
|Book Name||Author Name|
|Modern Constitutions||K.C Wheare|
|Constitutional Law of India||H.M Seervai|
|Federalism: A Comparative Study||E.S Venkatanramaiah|
|Law of Writs||Hansaria|
What are the Jobs and Career Options after LLM Constitutional Law?
After completing LLM Constitutional Law, a candidate can either do individual practice or go for jobs.
- The candidates who want to practice as lawyers independently will have to register themselves under any one of the courts in India.
- Depending on the skills of the candidate, an individual doing independent practice may earn from INR 2,00,000 to INR 12,00,000 or even higher.
- The employability of the LLM Constitutional Law candidates will also largely depend on the argument skill and overall knowledge of the candidates.
Apart from independent practice, many jobs are available for LLM Constitutional Law Candidates. Some of them are listed in the table below along with the expected annual salary.
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Government Lawyer||Government Lawyers argue a case in the favour of the government. They represent the government in the courts and also send legal notices for the government.||INR 4,50,000|
|Corporate Lawyer||Corporate Lawyer is an advocate working for a company who argues a case in the favour of the company. They represent the company in the courts and also send legal notices for the company.||INR 4,78,000|
|Legal Advisor||Legal advisors are hired by the MNCs and Corporate Houses for consulting various law related matters and seeking advice for the same. They may also be hired by the government for advice on legal matters.||INR 5,50,000|
|Legal Officer||Legal officers handle all the law-related matters within their organisation and decide what action to take on them. Both public and private sector companies hire legal officers.||INR 5,80,000|
|Legal Writer||Legal Writer writes for a law journal. They research new laws, defects in our constitution, etc and write about them. Sometimes, they may also be hired by the newspaper agencies.||INR 3,50,000|
|Legal Editor||Legal Editors edit the columns to be published in Legal journals, magazines and newspapers.||INR 6,50,000|
What is the future scope of LLM Constitutional Law?
After completing LLM in Constitutional Law, very few future study options are available for a candidate. Some of them are discussed below.
- After completing LLM Constitutional Law, a candidate can go for PhD course or research based courses in the field of Constitutional Law. The best choice available to those candidates is a PhD degree.
- During PhD degree, the candidate will have to research on any one topic of Constitutional Law and publish a research paper on the same.
- For admission to PhD courses, a candidate must qualify the UGC-NET exam. Some other PhD Entrance Exams are also available.
- If the candidate wishes to go for corporate jobs, he or she may also be interested in an MBA degree.
- MBA will help the candidate earn a higher position in the corporate sector companies.
LLM Constitutional Law FAQs
The Frequently Asked Questions on LLM Constitutional Law are discussed below.
Ques. Which Constitutional Law course is better - 2 year LLM or 1 year LLM?
Ans. It totally depends on the perspective and preferences of the candidate. But, the 2 year course will involve a more detailed analysis of the Constitutional Law. But the value of both the courses is almost the same.
Ques. What is the first year fee of Amity University for LLM Constitutional Law course?
Ans. The first year fee for LLM Constitutional Law course in Amity University Noida Campus is INR 1,24,000, while that of Amity University Jaipur Campus is INR 62,000.
Ques. Can I do a PhD in International Law after completing LLM Constitutional Law?
Ans. In general, a candidate with LLM in Constitutional Law is eligible for doing PhD in Constitutional Law, while LLM International Law candidates are eligible for PhD International Law. But, the eligibility criteria may vary from college to college.
Ques. Which law college in Hyderabad is good for studying LLM in Constitutional Law?
Ans. Osmania University, Mahatma Gandhi Law College, Pendekanti Law College are some of the good colleges for studying LLM Constitutional Law in Hyderabad.
Ques. What is the general eligibility criteria for admission to LLM Constitutional Law?
Ans. A candidate must complete Bachelor of Law with 50% aggregate marks for admission to LLM Constitutional Law course.
Ques. Which is the best law college in India for studying LLM Constitutional Law?
Ans. National Law University and Judicial Academy Assam, Osmania University, NMIMS are some of the top institutes offering LLM in Constitutional Law in India.
Ques. What is the average annual fee for studying LLM Constitutional Law in an NLU?
Ans. The average annual fees for studying LLM Constitutional Law in NLUs ranges between INR 80,000 to INR 1,20,000.