Master of Laws in Intellectual Property Rights or LLM IPR is a 1 year-long post-graduate course that involves ideas of primary and impelled guarded alteration (Intellectual Property) and reform law and order.
Candidates must have a LLB Degree with at least 50% marks and must qualify a university or state/national level entrance test to secure admission in this course.
Split into 2 semesters, this course extends up to one year when proceeding full-time, and requires 2 years duration if persevered on a part-time basis.
The average opening salary package awarded in India for flourishing postgraduates of the program ranges from INR 35,000 to INR 90,000 per month while the average fee ranges from INR 15,000 to INR 5 LPA.
Know More About Law Courses
LLM IPR: Course Highlights
Tabulated below are the basic highlights of LLM IPR course.
|Full-Form||Master of Law in Intellectual Property Rights (LLM IPR)|
|Duration||1 Year, full- time/ Distance Learning|
|Examination Type||Semester System|
|Admission Process||On merit-based marks obtained at graduation level, entrance test and interview rounds for entry to some institutes|
|Average Course Fee||INR 15,000-5LPA|
|Average Salary||INR 3-10 LPA|
|Top Recruiting Companies||R&D institutes, GOL, Pharmaceutical Industry, State-run Patent Information centers funded by Department of Law & Technology, Cosmetics & Beauty Product, Agri- based Units, Law Firms and Design Departments / Units|
|Job Positions||Lead Analyst, Patent Agent, Patent Analyst, etc.|
LLM IPR: Admission Process
Admission to the LLM IPR course is done by most of the colleges via the following stages:
- Institutional Test (involving objective & subjective pattern of questions (with 70% weightage)
- Personal Interview Round involving assessment based on fitness, publications, statement of purpose and work experience (with 30% weightage).
How to Apply?
Those candidates who wish to apply for LLM IPR course need to follow the below-mentioned steps:
- Check your eligibility for the course in the college of your interest.
- If you meet all the eligibility norms, visit the university or college website.
- Fill in the application form with all the details and supporting documents if required.
- After carefully rechecking the form and documents, submit the form.
- Deposit the application fees when asked
LLM IPR: Eligibility Criteria
Here are the basic minimum eligibility criteria which are required to be fulfilled by the candidate to get admission to this course.
- Candidates must have an LLB IPR degree with a duration of 3-5 years with a minimum aggregate score of 50% (45% for SC/ ST candidates) from any recognized university is required.
- The candidates who are in their last year of the LLB degree are eligible to apply for LLM courses.
LLM IPR: Entrance Exams
In India, the process to get admission to a good LLM College typically includes an Entrance Exam and Personal Interview Rounds.
|Exam Name||Conducting Body||Exam Date|
|AILET||National Law University of Delhi||May 31, 2021|
|CLAT PG||National Law University (NLU)||April 25th, 2021|
|LSAT India||Law School Admission Council||April 30, 2021|
|IPU CET||Indraprastha University (GGSIPU)||April 30, 2021|
|DU LLM||University of Delhi (DU)||June 9, 2021|
LLM IPR: How to Prepare for Entrance Exams?
Following are the tips which will help you crack LLM IPR Entrance Exams and get into your dream college:
- Candidates should be aware of the entrance exam pattern and difficulty level of the exam.
- Candidates must make sure they cover the 12th standard syllabus thoroughly.
- Revise all the concepts regularly for a better grip over the subject.
- They must keep a track of important dates and deadlines to avoid the last-minute rush.
- Make it a regular practice to read the newspapers and get a hold of all the current affairs and day-to-day happenings.
See more: LLM IPR College Cutoff
LLM IPR: How to Get Admission to a Good College?
Following are some of the tips:
- Attend academically rigorous classes while aiming for a good college.
- Practice taking the Mock Test to become familiar with the types of material covered and the test directions to determine what knowledge and skills you lack and master them for the actual tests.
- Take advantage of free online study materials, guides, tutors, and preparation courses and practice tests before appearing for the entrance exam.
- Keep a track of your involvement in extracurricular activities, sports, volunteer activities, etc. and move up to leadership positions. Try and demonstrate growth, develop a deep interest in one or more areas; this will help you with your Personal Interview Rounds.
LLM IPR: What is it About?
Intellectual Property Law deals with rights to inventions, discoveries, designs, musical and artistic works, literary phrases and symbols as well as words.
- An LLM IPR law degree provides an academic specialization at master’s-level to assist you with the existing laws and norms.
- It also helps to examine various rights within the international intellectual property system and framework.
- The programme possesses the field and role of such rights by investigation of a variety of topical thoughts, which underpin contemporary intellectual property policy and law.
Why Study LLM IPR?
The LLM in Intellectual Property Law course is equipped with an advanced understanding and knowledge of intellectual property policies and laws.
- The programme is designed to expose you to a wide range of perceptions on intellectual property law, policy and practice.
- It deals with substantive law on various major intellectual property rights, which includes trade marks, copyright, designs, common law and patents along with the protection of intellectual property rights.
- Here, you get an opportunity for an interdisciplinary approach and the LLM in Intellectual Property Law course will help you to examine intellectual property in legal, social, ethical, economic, commercial and cultural contexts.
LLM IPR: Course Comparison
The two courses that are Master of Laws (LLM) and Juris Doctor (JD) have been compared as below:
|PARAMETERS||Master of Laws (LLM)||Juris Doctor (JD)|
|Aim of Course||To practice Law||To provide advanced level training to the candidates|
|Admission Process||Online application via LSAC, Personal statement Current resume, Official transcripts, Two narrative letters of recommendation||Online application via LSAC Official test scores Letters of recommendation 2 letters and an option to produce 4 letters of recommendation|
|Eligibility Criteria||LLB. IPR degree with a minimum of 50% marks for general category candidates and 45% marks for reserved category candidates.||LSAT score: 160 (80th percentile of all test-takers) or GRE score: 80th percentile scores, GPA: 3.63 (Undergraduate), Graduate course work is considered, Official transcripts, Personal statement and Optional statement|
|Average Fees||INR 1,50,000 to 3,00,000||INR 11,07,762|
|Average Salary Package||INR 2,00,000||INR 1,43,000|
LLM IPR: Top Colleges
Here are some of the top colleges in the country that offer LLM IPR course:
|Outlook Ranking||College Name||Average Annual Fees||Average Placement Offer|
|4||Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) Kharagpur||INR 1,63,900||INR 19 LPA|
|42||Osmania University- (OU) Hyderabad||INR 12,540||INR 10.75 LPA|
|78||Gujarat University, Ahmedabad||INR 1,000||INR 7.5 LPA|
|89||Parul University, Vadodara||INR 40,000||INR 3.6 LPA|
Know More: LLM IPR Colleges in India
LLM IPR: College Comparison
|College||Pacific School Of Law||Lovely Professional University||National Law University|
|State||Udaipur, Rajasthan||Jalandhar, Punjab||New Delhi|
|Average Fee||INR 50,000||INR 49,500||INR 65,000|
|Eligibility||50% aggregate marks in Graduation||50% aggregate marks in Graduation||50% aggregate marks in Graduation|
|Admission Process||Entrance Exams||Entrance Exams||Entrance Exams|
|Average Salary||INR 6 LPA||INR 7 LPA||INR 10 LPA|
LLM IPR: Syllabus
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Research Methods and Legal Writing||Globalization, Law and Justice|
|Comparative Public Law||Dissertation|
|International Trade Law||Investment Laws|
|Competition Law||Law of Patents and Design|
|Law of E-Commerce||Law of Trademarks and GI|
|Law of Copyright||Contemporary Issues|
|Foundation Course||Teaching Practices|
LLM IPR: Job Profiles
|Job Title||Job Description||Average Annual Salary|
|Lead Analyst||A Lead Analyst job is principally in charge of the improvement, introduction and support of farming product supply.||INR 6,26,758|
|Patent Agent||A Patent Agent helps with patent application processes. Affirmed by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO), Patent Operatoring job is to help the budding creators to explore the prerequisites of patent applications.||INR 1,80,005|
|Patent Analyst||A Patent Analyst performs different patent analyses in electrical/electronic/software engineering innovation areas, oversees patent databases and investigates patent productions.||INR 6,75,000|
LLM IPR: Future Scope
Various professionals with undergraduate degrees, other than Juris Doctor or Bachelor of Law degrees can choose to pursue an LLM in Intellectual Property Law course.
LLM IPR: FAQs
Ques. Which companies are known to hire LLM IPR graduates?
Ans. There are many organisations which hire LLM students. A few of them are- Amarchand & Mangaldas & Suresh A Shroff & Co., AZB & Partners, Khaitan & CO, Sagar Associates, Luthra& Luthra Law Offices, Trilegal SR Associates, Economic Laws Practice, Desai & Diwanji, Talwar Thakore & Associates, etc.
Ques. Is LLM IPR course offered to candidates without an LLB degree?
Ans. No, according to the eligibility criteria of LLM IPR course, (BCI regulations for legal education in India) it is mandatory for the candidates to have either a three-years LLB degree or a five year integrated LLB degree from any recognised law university or college.
Ques. Is it compulsory to pursue an LLM IPR course while choosing law as a profession?
Ans. A candidate who has completed an LLB degree either five-years duration after class 12th or three-year degree after graduation makes them eligible to pursue law as their profession in future. An LLM degree is often pursued by those aspirants who wish to grab more opportunities in a specialisation of law field. Moreover, in both cases, the candidates are required to appear for the AIBE exam conducted by BCI to be eligible for the 'Certificate of Practice'.
Ques. What are the advantages of an LLM IPR degree?
Ans. While an LLM IPR when combined with a qualifying law degree, it is a valuable addition. It alone does not enable the degree holder to pursue law. LLM IPR degree-holders are professionally supervised to litigate and advise on issues of public domain, trade secrets, moral rights, patents, moral rights, other integral topics along with moral rights.
Ques. What does it require to be the LLM IPR degree holder?
Ans. Law faculties at various universities all across the globe differ somewhat in their prerequisites for enabling you an entry to an LLM IPR course. A few colleges accept only the candidates having a law school background whereas others may agree with prospective students from other undergraduate programs. An LLM IPR takes about a year to complete when pursued on a full-time basis.
Ques. How much does it cost to take an LLM IPR degree?
Ans. Funding and Tuition costs opportunities for the LLM IPR courses varies from college to college. University admissions departments are available to answer the questions based on the costs of an LLM IPR course. One can contact them easily via the form on the desired college’s website.
Ques. What can be future options with an LLM IPR?
Ans. Aspirants having an LLM IPR degree can choose to work for:
- International law organisations
- Intellectual Property Companies
- The World Trade Organization
- Trademark and Patent attorneys
- United Nations bodies
- Non-government companies and more.
Ques. Why to pursue an online LLM IPR?
Ans. LLM IPR programs are also available online, offered by various top universities. Taking the lectures of LLM online will save the student from the hassle of commuting to campus everyday, and may also provide more scheduling flexibility by the coursework.