Latest Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admission News and Updates
- December 09, 2020: Last date for applying to the MLIS Course online in Jadavpur University. Check Here
- November 16, 2020: Last date for applying to various PG courses as per the notification released by Bharathiar University previously. Check Here
- Bharathiar University announced a Special Notification in which the last date for various PG courses’ admissions for 2020 were extended up to November 16, 2020. Applications are being accepted online.
Master of Library and Information Science is a 1 year PG degree course program. Normally candidates who wish to pursue a career as a librarian opts for this course. But for that they must have completed a UG degree with relevant streams. MLIS course gives knowledge in library management and other related fields like planning and management, statistical techniques, computer basics and applications, etc.
Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admission 2021: Eligibility Criteria
- Basic eligibility for pursuing MLIS course is the possession of a UG degree.
- Candidates must have obtained at least 50 - 60% total aggregate marks in the UG degree.
- A graduation in Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Library and Information Science is more preferred as it makes the candidate to understand more easily.
- Candidates should have also scored a minimum of 50% of marks in class 12 from a recognized board of education.
- Candidates applying for this course should fall under the age limit between 20 to 22 years of age.
Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admission 2021: Process
Admissions for MLIS courses are done through a merit based process. Only a few colleges in India offer library courses to the students. Hence they can’t afford to conduct the entrance exams for the admissions. The colleges or institutions release the merit lists of candidates who apply for the course. The steps involved in the process of merit based admissions are listed below:
- Go to the official website of the college offering the MLIS course.
- Read the details like the eligibility and other instructions for MLIS admission carefully before applying to the course.
- Fill the personal details like name, parents details, marks scored in high school, etc. in the application form.
- Upload the required documents along with the application form.
- Then finally proceed through the payment page and pay the application fee.
- After this, a merit list will be released by the college based on the marks scored by the candidates in UG.
- Some institutions even conduct group discussion and personal interviews for the admission of MLIS courses.
- A candidate can also apply for the course offline by getting the application form directly from the college.
Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admission 2021: Syllabus
MLIS course comprises two semesters as the duration of the entire course is only one year. The overall syllabus of MLIS course is given in this section.
|Foundation of Library & Information Science|
|Information Organization and Processing (Classification)|
|Information Organization and Processing (Cataloguing)|
|Information Sources, Systems and Networks|
|Information Organization and Processing (Classification) Practical|
|Information Organization and Processing (Cataloguing) Practical|
|Fundamentals of Computer and ICT|
|Information Storage and Retrieval|
|Search Strategy & Vocabulary Control|
|Information Needs and Seeking Behaviour|
|Computer Application Practical|
|Management of Libraries & Information Centres|
|Research Methodology and Bibliometrics|
|Internet & Web Resources|
|Digital Library & Information Systems|
|Library Software Practical|
|Preservation and Conservation of Library Resources|
|Electronic Resource Management|
|Marketing of Information and Knowledge Management|
Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admission 2021: Top Colleges
Some of the top colleges offering Master of Library and Information Science course are listed below:
|College||Mode of Admission|
|Jadavpur University, Kolkata||Merit|
|University of Lucknow, Lucknow||Merit|
|Chhatrapati Shahu Ji Maharaj University, Kanpur||Merit|
|Barkatullah University, Bhopal||Merit|
|Bharathiar University, Coimbatore||Merit|
|Nalanda Open University, Patna||Merit|
|Patna University, Patna||Merit|
|Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi||Merit|
Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS) Admissions 2021: FAQs
Ques. Can I do MLIS after B.A in English honors?
Ques. For a Master's degree in library science, is graduation in library science compulsory?
Ques. What are BLIS and MLIS?
Ques. What skills are required to qualify for a librarian position?
Ans. The skills required to qualify for a professional librarian are:
- Ability to work independently
- Knowledge in Cataloging
- Writing Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Ability to think analytically
Ques. Can an MLIS course be pursued after completing another PG course?
Ques. What are the career prospects and job opportunities of MLIS course?
Ans. MLIS courses have numerous job opportunities and the candidates can get job opportunities both in government as well as in the private sector. The areas of job opportunities for MLIS course are:
- Government and private libraries
- In Schools, Colleges and Universities
- Special Libraries
- Foreign Embassies
- News agencies
- Museums and Galleries
- Information centres