What is Master of Management Studies [MMS]?
Master of Management Studies is a postgraduate management course for two years. MMS provides students with a strong base in business, accounting, economics, and marketing related topics.
Go through the list of top MMS colleges in Maharashtra.
A candidate with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in any discipline is eligible to apply for MMS course if he or she secures a minimum aggregate of 50% marks at the graduation level.
Admission to MMS will be based on the performance of candidates in the entrance exam and personal interview. National level entrance exams such as CAT, MAT, ATMA or state level entrance exams like MHCET are required to secure a seat in the MMS program.
The average fees for an MMS range from INR 50,000 to 15,00,000, depending on the type of college. Top management colleges in India offering a Master of Management Studies course are listed in the table below.
|NIRF University Ranking 2020||Name of Institute||Admission Process||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Offer|
|1||Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore||CAT||INR 1,66,500||INR 24,10,000|
|9||Savitribai Phule Pune University, Pune||MAH CET||INR 35,000||INR 6,50,000|
|63||Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Pune||B-MAT||INR 1,92,000||INR 3,00,000|
|65||Mumbai University, Mumbai||MAH CET||INR 1,30,000||INR 4,00,000|
|101-150||Shivaji University, Kolhapur||MAH CET||INR 50,000||INR 2,50,000|
The MMS course aims to equip students with appropriate and integrated knowledge of Management, Analytical Skills, and Business Strategies. It also aims to embed ethical conduct, taking into consideration business, industry, and society needs.
MMS candidates get jobs in Banks, Business Consultancies, Brand & Marketing, Non-profit Organizations, Personal Business, Educational Institutes, Export Companies, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, Multinational Companies, etc.
MMS graduates are hired as Investment Banker, Mutual Fund manager, Project manager, Management consultant, Business Manager, Account Manager, Brand Manager, Card Payments Operations Head, Equity Research Analyst, etc.
The average placement salary for MMS candidates stands in the range of INR 5,00,000 to 20,00,000 for Master of Management Studies depending upon the candidate’s expertise in the field.
After completing MMS, if the candidate wants to pursue higher studies, then opt for PhD Management Studies. After completing a PhD, one can become a professor in various management colleges.
What is the Admission Process for MMS?
MMS admissions are done mainly through the Entrance Exams followed by a personal interview conducted by the respective university.
- Candidates who have qualified National level Entrance Tests such as CAT, MAT, ATMA or state level entrance tests such as MHCET can apply for MMS course.
- Application forms for admissions are invited generally during the month of May for an MMS program on the official websites of the institutes.
- The Selection Committee will call eligible candidates possessing the minimum educational qualifications and satisfying score in the entrance exam for an interview, sometimes accompanied by a written test.
- Based on the academic record and the performance of the candidates in the interview, candidates found suitable for admission will be accepted for admission to MMS course.
A student seeking admission to the MMS program will need to submit the following documents:
- Proof of birth date
- Degree or passing certificate of the qualifying examination
- Migration Certificate or No objection certificate from the University or Employer last attended
- Gap certificate if applicable
- Scorecard of the entrance exam
Read more of IISc Admission Process.
What is the Eligibility Criteria for Admission to MMS?
The candidates seeking admission to MMS Course must fulfill the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidates should hold a Bachelor's degree or equivalent qualification from a recognized university or institution.
- Minimum aggregate of 50% marks or equivalent is required in Bachelor’s Degree to be eligible for MMS course.
- In the case of reserved category candidates, relaxation of 5% marks or equivalent grade is given as per UGC guidelines.
- Candidates have to appear for the national / university level entrance written test and personal interview round / Group discussion round.
- Candidates with work experience might get a slight priority.
Which are the Top Entrance Exams for Admission to MMS Course?
Institutes offering MMS programs in India conduct their own entrance exams for admission to the course, to assess the eligibility of candidates for the pursuance of the course. However, most institutes admit students to the MMS course through their results in the National or State level entrance test, followed by a personal interview round. Below a few National and university levels, entrance exams are listed with their details of application dates, conducting body, exam date and so.
- MAH CET: Maharashtra Common Entrance Test is conducted by the Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra State. MAH CET scores are accepted by over 330+ management schools in Maharashtra. It is a two and a half-hour test with 200 MCQs divided into four sections Logical Reasoning, Abstract Reasoning, Quantitative Aptitude, and Verbal Ability/Reading Competition.
- APICET: Andhra Pradesh Integrated Common Entrance Test is conducted by Sri Venkateswara University. The entrance exam is available in English and Telugu languages. It is a two and a half-hour test with 200 objective type questions divided into three sections Analytical Ability, Mathematical Ability, and Communication Ability.
- CAT: Common Admission Test is a CBT for graduate management program admission. It is a gateway to the prestigious 20 IIMs in India and more than 1200 + B colleges. CAT is conducted once in a year by one of the IIM's. It is a three-hour test divided into three sections Verbal Ability and Reading Comprehension (VARC), Data Interpretation and Logical Reasoning (DILR), and Quantitative Ability (QA).
- MAT: MAT is conducted four times a year by AIMA which is accepted by over 600 B Schools across India. It is a two and a half-hour test with 200 objective questions divided into 5 sections Data Analysis & Sufficiency, Language Comprehension, Intelligence & Critical Reasoning, Mathematical Skills, and Indian & Global Environment.
- ATMA: AIMS Test for Management Admission is conducted by the Association of Indian Management Schools. The ATMA score is accepted by 720+ Postgraduate management schools in India. It is a three-hour test with 180 questions divided into three sections with two parts Analytical Reasoning, Verbal skills, and quantitative skills.
Some important dates regarding MMS Entrance Exams are listed in the table below:
|Exam Name||Conducted By||Application Date||Exam Date||Exam Type|
|MAH CET||Directorate of Technical Education, Maharashtra State||January 10 - February 22, 2020||March 14 - 15, 2020||Online|
|APICET||Sri Venkateswara University||March 3 - June 15, 2020||Postponed||Offline|
|CAT||IIMs||August 5 - September 16, 2020||November 29, 2020||CBT|
|MAT||AIMA||August 27 - September 15, 2020||September 20, 2020||PBT / IBT|
|ATMA||AIMS||February 13 - July 4, 2020||July 6, 2020||Online|
Though most of these entrance exams are expected to follow the given dates, the dates may change due to the ongoing COVID-19 crisis. In such cases, candidates will be notified by the authorities.
How to prepare for a Master of Management Studies Entrance Exam?
Candidates preparing for MMS Entrance Exams should focus on the preparation plan as each exam has a specific set of questions and time allocation.
- Some important topics to be covered while preparing for MMS entrance exam tests are Quantitative Aptitude, Reasoning, Comprehension, Case Analysis, Word Power, Synonyms, Antonyms, General Knowledge, etc.
- On the basis of the previous year's paper, lay out a study plan which will allow you to cover the syllabus as well as revise it efficiently.
- The MMS entrance question paper is generally MCQ divided into different sections.
- It will require in-depth knowledge, analytical skills, and sharp memory to crack the exam.
- Practicing sample question papers and model tests certainly offers students an advantage because they are able to learn the exam's style and layout well beforehand.
- Consulting a student who is pursuing an MMS can give a clear picture and a lot of guidance for the test.
Go through the sample question papers for CAT 2020.
How to Get Admission to a Top College for MMS?
To secure a seat in a good college for a MMS, candidates must keep in mind the following points:.
- An individual scholar must complete a larger number of credits based on their background and preparation level.
- Candidates must appear for National Entrance Tests and score high ranking marks to secure a seat in a good college.
- Candidates should put their time and effort into the entrance test as well as be prepared for a personal interview round.
- Preparing for the entrance exam well in advance and solving mock tests before the test day.
- To be well versed with bachelor's subjects and general knowledge for Personal Interview.
- Look out for the eligibility, cut-offs, selection criteria, admission process, application procedure, and other updates to benefit you for better preparation.
MMS : What is it about?
The below given points explain what MMS course is all about.
- Management studies refer to tasks and obligations related to managing an organization that may include preparing, executing, regulating, tracking, coordinating, maximizing, delegating, etc.
- The MMS Programme is for two years which is divided into four semesters.
- MMS students learn the techniques for enhancing employee efficiency, recruiting talent, conserving sustainability capital, and creating efficient business processes.
- MMS provides students with a strong base in Business, Accounting, Economics and Marketing related topics.
- The MMS course also includes subjects such as Operations, Communication, IT, and Business Policy and Strategy.
- In addition, internships will provide real-world job experience with comprehensive corporate history.
Master of Management Studies Course Highlight
The major highlights of the MMS course are given in the table below.
|Course level||Post Graduate|
|Admission Process||Entrance test such as MHCET, APICET, CAT, MAT, ATMA|
|Course Fee||INR 50,000 - 15,00,000|
|Average Salary||INR 5,00,000 - 20,00,000|
|Top Recruiting Companies||McKinsey & Company, Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Merrill Lynch & Co, Deloitte Consulting LLP, Lehman Brothers, JP Morgan Chase & Co, Goldman Sachs & Co, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Areas||Banks, Business Consultancies, Brand & Marketing, Non-profit Organizations, Personal Business, Educational Institutes, Export Companies, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, Multinational Companies, etc.|
|Job Positions||Investment Banker, Hedge Fund manager, Project manager, Management consultant, Business Manager, Account Manager, Brand Manager, Card Payments Operations Head, Equity Research Analyst, etc.|
Why Should One Study MMS Course?
The following are the biggest advantages of studying an MMS degree:
- MMS provides a helpful overview of the business realities for candidates.
- It gives practical focus, with the possibility of completing work placements and professional projects included in the program.
- MMS graduates are given a wide range of different career choices, spread across diverse industries.
- Management consulting careers have evolved on the basis of providing independent advice to help companies, organizations and businesses improve their performance, solve problems, create value, and maximize growth.
- Careers in investment management involve providing clients with financial advice and services to help them in investment matters such as the purchase and sale of units, investment trusts, shares, and bonds.
- Careers in project management include preparing, organizing, arranging, and executing a given project on schedule and within budget.
Course Comparison: MMS vs MBA Business Management
Master of Management Studies and an MBA Business Management are almost similar courses except for a few differences. The below-given comparison is given keeping in mind all the important parameters of differences:
|Parameters||Master of Management Studies||MBA Business Management|
|Degree Type||Post Graduate||Post Graduation|
|Overview||The program provides an insight into the core as well as specialized subjects in Management. It includes subjects like Communication, Operations, Accounting, etc.||The course has been designed to prepare candidates for tackling real-world business problems and finding appropriate solutions. It provides the knowledge of Organizational Behavior, Communication Studies, Client Psychology, etc.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 50,000 - INR 15,00,000||INR 1,00,000 - INR 18,00,000|
|Duration||2 years||2 years|
|Admission Process||Entrance test such as MHCET, APICET, CAT, MAT, ATMA||Entrance test such as CAT, MAT, CMAT, NMAT, XAT|
|Top Colleges||Atharva Institute of Management Studies, Indian Institute of Science, Bharati Vidyapeeth University, Indian Institute of Business Management and Studies, etc||Amity University, Lovely Professional University, Doon Business School, Indira Global Business School, D.Y. Patil University|
|Top Recruiting Companies||McKinsey & Company, Boston Consulting Group, Bain & Company, Merrill Lynch & Co, Deloitte, etc.||TCS, Infosys, Wipro, Accenture, etc.|
|Top Recruiting Area||Banks, Business Consultancies, Brand & Marketing, Non-profit Organizations, Personal Business, Educational Institutes, etc.||Retail and Merchant Banking, Corporate Finance, Business Consulting, and such.|
|Job Positions||Investment Banker, Hedge Fund manager, Project manager, Management consultant, Business Manager, Account Manager, Brand Manager, etc.||Marketing Manager, Retail Manager, Exporters and Importers, Financial Manager, among others.|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,00,000 - INR 20,00,000||INR 6,00,000 - INR 22,00,000|
Source: College Websites
Which are the Top Colleges for MMS Course?
Here is the top MMS college list for your reference. These colleges show the admission process, location, and average fee charged for this course.
|Name of the Institute||City||Average Course Fee||Average Placement Package|
|JBIMS||Mumbai||INR 49,980||INR 20,13,000|
|Mumbai University||Mumbai||INR 1,30,000||INR 4,00,000|
|Sasmira’s Institute of Management Studies and Research||Mumbai||INR 1,90,000||INR 10,05,000|
|Dr. VN Bedekar Institute of Management Studies||Thane||INR 1,30,000||INR 2,00,000|
|Shivaji University||Kolhapur||INR 5,000||INR 6,50,000|
|TIMSR||Mumbai||INR 2,57,691||INR 4,50,000|
|Rustomjee Business School||Mumbai||INR 1,74,600||INR 4,00,000|
|ASM Group of Institutes||Pune||INR 1,15,500||INR 4,50,000|
|Zulal Bhilajirao Patil College||Dhule||INR 3,45,000||INR 7,00,000|
|Pratap College||Jalgaon||INR 53,370||INR 3,00,000|
Source: College Websites
College Comparison for MMS
Below given is the college comparison of the top MMS course offering colleges in terms of several parameters like average fee, college overview, admission process, top recruiter, and many others.
|Parameters||Atharva Institute of Management Studies||Indian Institute of Science||Bharati Vidyapeeth University|
|Overview||It is located in Mumbai and was founded in 1999. It is affiliated with Mumbai University and approved by the Maharashtra Government.||Indian Institute of Science was founded by Jamsetji Nusserwanji Tata in 1909. The institute was established to promote scientific temper and research attitude in the nation.||BVDP Pune was established in 1964. It is a deemed university located in Pune, Maharashtra, India.|
|Average Annual Fees||INR 2,15,000||INR 1,66,500||INR 1,92,000|
|Average Annual Salary||INR 5,50,000||INR 24,10,000||INR 3,00,000|
|Top Companies Visited||Lauren information technologies private limited, HR Anexi, Square Yards, UTI Mutual Fund, K Raheja Corp, Amul, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, etc.||IBM, Amazon, Myntra, Goldman Sachs, EXIDE, AMDA, Microsoft, ABB, SAMSUNG, Qualcomm, Citi, Mercedez, SAPIENT, TATA Steel, TCS, J P Morgan, etc.||TCS, L&T Infotech, Varroc, Zensar, Bridgei2i, Merchant Navy, Pratian, Cybage, Honda, Fiserv, IVP, TVS, ITC Infotech, Vodafone, IBM, JP Morgan, etc.|
Source: College Websites
Which Subjects are Taught in MMS?
Specific subjects vary according to college, but the topics of the courses often include marketing, accounting, finance, and management. Here is a semester wise break up of subjects taught in the MMS course.
|Semester I||Semester II|
|Perspective Management||Legal and Tax Aspects of Business|
|Financial Accounting||Cost & Management Accounting Economic|
|Managerial Economics||Environment of Business|
|Operations Management||Operations Research|
|Organizational Behavior||Human Resources Management|
|Business Mathematics||Research Methodology and Fundamentals of MR|
|Information Technology for Management||Management Information Systems|
|Communication Skills||Financial Management|
|Marketing Management||Marketing Applications and Practices|
|Electives (can select 2 electives from the list)||Electives (can select 2 electives from the list)|
|Selling & Negotiation Skills||Decision Science|
|High-Performance Leadership||Managerial Process Skills|
|Indian Ethos in Management||Analysis of Financial Statements|
|Corporate Social Responsibility projects||Foreign Languages (German, French, Japanese)|
|Semester III||Semester IV|
|Marketing Strategy||Internships and Live Projects|
|Integrated Market Communications|
|Consumer Buying Behaviour|
|Market Research Applications|
|Sales Management & Sales Promotion|
|Distribution & Supply Chain Management|
|Product & Brand Management|
|Human Resource Planning and Human Resource Audit|
|Database Management Systems|
Which Job Profiles and Salary Trends are Available for MMS Candidates?
MMS course equips students with the advantage over competitors needed for several positions at the management level.
Many companies in the field of Banks, Business Consultancies, Brand & Marketing, Non-profit Organizations, Personal Business, Educational Institutes, Export Companies, Financial Organizations, Industrial Houses, etc recruit MMS candidates.
Here are some Job profiles for graduates of Master of Management Studies:
|Job Profile||Job Description||Average Salary|
|Investment Banker||An investment banker may undertake several activities for a client, but the investment banker's key task is to raise capital by issuing securities, whether it be debt or equity. Investment bankers may also present outcomes for decision-making purposes to their clients.||INR 10,00,000|
|Mutual Fund manager||Hedge fund managers are responsible for helping investors control their investment in hedge funds, including investment targets, fee rates, and liquidity clauses. Usually, hedge fund managers work full-time for finance and investment companies such as investment banks and private equity firms.||INR 12,00,000|
|Project Manager||Project managers are responsible for project preparation and supervising to ensure that tasks are delivered in a timely manner and within budget. Project managers plan and assign resources for the project, prepare budgets, track progress, and keep stakeholders updated along the process.||INR 14,00,000|
|Management consultant||Management consultants work to provide solutions to the changing corporate needs of the client. The engagement scope is highly variable and can include the development of core strategies, large scale implementation, process optimization, change management, and introduction of new technologies.||INR 11,00,000|
|Business Manager||A Business Manager's role is to oversee and direct operations and employees of a company. They perform a range of tasks to ensure productivity and efficiency for the company, including implementing business strategies, assessing company performance, and overseeing employees.||INR 8,50,000|
|Account Manager||An account manager is a person who works for a company and is responsible for sales management and customer relations. An account manager maintains existing relationships between the company and a customer or group of customers so that they continue to use the company for business.||INR 6,00,000|
|Brand Manager||Brand managers are the guardians of the brand and are responsible for ensuring that current and potential customers resonate with the products, services, and product lines that fall under their marks. They 're working closely with the marketing team to make sure every aspect of the brand plan is correct.||INR 10,70,000|
|Equity Research Analyst||Equity research analysts are creating reports, conducting research, analyzing financial information, and predicting financial matters. This work includes writing several reports and presenting findings in meetings, so this position requires good communication skills.||INR 5,00,000|
What are the Future Scopes and Further Study Options After MMS?
There are many future scope and higher studies options available for the MMS candidates, some of which are discussed below.
- If the candidate wants to pursue higher studies, then opt for a PhD Management Studies. After completing a PhD, one can become a professor in various management colleges.
- Candidates can appear for UGC NET, UGC CSIR NET to apply for PhD programs in the field.
- The JRF national tests are for determining the eligibility for the post of Assistant Professor and Junior Research Fellowship award in Indian universities and colleges.
- Some graduates chose to pursue further studies in subjects such as marketing, accounting, human resources, computing, and international business management, in order to improve their expertise in a specific business field.
- A few of the other popular options candidates prefer after successfully completing MMS are Chartered Financial Analyst, Financial Risk Manager, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certification in Risk Management Assurance, Certified in Production and Inventory Management, Project Management Professional, Executive MMS, DBA, SAP Course, so on.
The most frequently asked questions about the MMS course are discussed below.
Ques. Is the entrance test mandatory to secure a seat in the MMS Programme?
Ans. It varies from college to college. Some colleges provide seats based on qualifying exams while some colleges require candidates to clear entrance tests such as MAH CET, AP ICET, CAT, MAT, ATMA and more.
Ques. What is the eligibility to apply for the MMS course?
Ans. A candidate with a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in any discipline securing a minimum aggregate of 50% marks is eligible provided they qualify the national level entrance test or university level test.
Ques. Is there any extension for the application procedure of MMS course?
Ans. Yes, most of the institutes have extended the application procedure. You can check the official website to be updated with the new dates for the application process. The admission committee monitors the announcements from the authorities.
Ques. Which course is better: MBA or MMS?
Ans. MBA is suitable for those applicants who are excellent at management plus administration skills and are able to handle stress and deadlines while MMS is ideal for people with limited job experience or those wishing to switch from a non-business to a business field.
Ques. How long does it take to complete the MMS course?
Ans. It takes a minimum of two years to complete the course. It is divided into four semesters. The first year is common for all MMS programs and in the second year is where electives and specializations are taught.
Ques. Can a student of the second year under - graduation student apply for the Entrance exam?
Ans. Candidates who have completed their graduation in any stream may apply for the exam as per minimum eligibility criteria. Or candidates who are awaiting their results in their final year of graduation can apply for the exam.
Ques. Is BMS compulsory to pursue MMS?
Ans. It is not mandatory to pursue BMS before applying for an MMS. A candidate needs to complete a 3 years / 4-year undergraduate degree in any discipline to pursue an MMS.
Ques. What is the selection process for MMS?
Ans. Only those applications, which have been completed accurately and in full, and that, include the relevant certificates and other documents, as attachments will be considered. Candidates will be shortlisted, and those candidates who have been selected are required to take the entrance examination and appear for a personal interview. The final results will be revealed after the applicants have accumulated the marks they have received in their graduate test, entrance review, and personal interview.
Ques. What is the difference between MMS and PGDM?
Ans. The MMS program is usually considered a degree, and if you are intending to pursue further studies, you can obtain this degree. Hence, PGDM is a one- or two-year diploma course offered mainly by autonomous institutes.
Ques. What is the MMS Course?
Ans. Management studies students learn the techniques for enhancing employee efficiency, recruiting talent, conserving sustainability capital, and creating efficient business processes. Management studies provide students with a strong base in business, accounting, economics, and marketing related topics.
Ques. What are the alternatives for a personal interview for an MMS?
Ans. Due to Covid-19, in the current situation colleges and institutes are opting for video-conference mode for shortlisted candidates for Personal Interview for the MMS program.
Ques. What can I pursue after completing my MMS?
Ans. If the candidate wants to pursue higher studies, then opt for M. Phil and PhD. After completing a PhD, one can become a professor in various management colleges. A few of the other popular options candidates prefer after successfully completing MMS are Chartered Financial Analyst, Financial Risk Manager, Certified Information Systems Auditor, Certification in Risk Management Assurance, Certified in Production and Inventory Management, Project Management Professional, Executive MBA, DBA, SAP Course, so on.